PDA

View Full Version : who hates this?

1mean76
12-15-2008, 11:30 PM
i wanna know if im alone on this one. ok who hates when people treat us like crap cuz we are younger and are into guns? ok cuz everytime i go to a gun shop the people dont even wanna help me cuz im not 60 or something

AdamM
12-16-2008, 2:03 AM
I'd have to agree with you. When I went to buy my OLL I asked the guy if he handled OLL AR15's and he said, "No, and even if we did, you dont have enough money to even buy the grip" and I said "Oh, okay, I guess I'll have to take this elsewhere then :(" and showed him the $1300 I had in cash

:)

Ended up going to another shop, completely customized the entire gun, had them build it for me, and made it mine for $834 including DROS and tax

BillCA
12-16-2008, 2:49 AM
Well, I guess that depends on how young you are or look.

Remember, you are dealing with someone in the retail business. He knows that younger customers generally do not have the descretionary income to spend money on high dollar goods. If you look like you're under 25, then it is likely that's the case. There are many gun shops that look at youthful buyers as "lookie-loos" who come in to look and fondle without buying. From the dealer's perspective, many of these customers are "high labor, low value" customers because they consume at lot of time asking questions with little intent to purchase. And since under-25's are much more crime-prone, closer supervision is necessary.

Appearances count too. If you're in the shop on the weekend in saggy-baggies jeans and an oversized t-shirt with a HALO logo, I can see why you don't get much attention. If you wear something business casual you might be taken more seriously.

If all else fails, tell the owner/clerk you're expecting some O.T. or a bonus check and you're thinking of buying a "_________" with it. This says you are planning to spend money soon and are price shopping so the dealer may be able to persuade you to buy from him.

vwynn
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Take business elsewhere n let that gun shop fall.

Never really had a problem buying a gun when i was 18 (a year ago) but yea.. Just have the greens in hand!

CHS
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I have to agree with what Bill said. Appearances are EVERYTHING. It makes no matter how young you are. You don't have to go out of your way to dress up, but clean jeans and a tucked-in polo shirt (8$ at target) go a long way to get some attention.

When I was younger and buying guns at 18/19/20, I always went into the shops with just a simple, cheap, black tucked-in polo shirt and never got treated differently for being young. I still looked young, don't get me wrong, but I didn't act it.

hamster
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Just make eye contact. I don't dress nice. Tee shirt with some band logo or a sci-fi show.... faded, worn out jeans and vans with the laces all messed up. I look around for what I want, and when I find it, make eye contact with one of the salesmen. Normally, if they aren't busy helping someone else, they come right over and get the business done.

stuntdummy
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Remember, you are dealing with someone in the retail business. He knows that younger customers generally do not have the descretionary income to spend money on high dollar goods. If you look like you're under 25, then it is likely that's the case. There are many gun shops that look at youthful buyers as "lookie-loos" who come in to look and fondle without buying. From the dealer's perspective, many of these customers are "high labor, low value" customers because they consume at lot of time asking questions with little intent to purchase.

That is bad business if you ask me, sure he may not make a sale right away but a "lookie-loo" may save his money and be back to make a purchase down the road. I have a real problem with people who work in retail and give crap service. Retail is a service business, so I say swallow the attitude and and treat everyone with respect if that is your chosen profession. It's is easy to be a jerk, but only takes a little bit of effort to be courteous and helpful, and that can only help your business in the long run.

Batbunny
12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
This happens to me sometimes as well, so I just don't spend my money there. I always thought that good business meant getting young people to develop brand/store loyalty? oh well...

csmintel
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
why don't you all stop making excuses fro dealers. They decided to make money off their hobby. Doesn't make them great salesmen or businessmen for that matter. In fact almost all of them ( and I use this lightly ) lack interpersonal and customer service skills. And it's ok, bacause we don't go there to be treated like we open new CD account at small, struggling, local comunity bank. We go there cause they have what we need. Again....this is buyers world because they are not the only shop in town. Vote with yo money. And spew the FUD.:)

Axewound
12-16-2008, 1:14 PM
ive had bad service at a gun shop, i left and took it else where.
ive never been back...just remember to say please and thank you

MrSlippyFist
12-16-2008, 1:17 PM
i wanna know if im alone on this one. ok who hates when people treat us like crap cuz we are younger and are into guns? ok cuz everytime i go to a gun shop the people dont even wanna help me cuz im not 60 or something

Like, I know! Right?

1mean76
12-16-2008, 6:47 PM
This happens to me sometimes as well, so I just don't spend my money there. I always thought that good business meant getting young people to develop brand/store loyalty? oh well...

thats what im talking about! im the kinda guy that if i like the shop i will always go to that store even if it a lil pricey

Fantasma
12-16-2008, 10:49 PM
I'd have to agree with you. When I went to buy my OLL I asked the guy if he handled OLL AR15's and he said, "No, and even if we did, you dont have enough money to even buy the grip" and I said "Oh, okay, I guess I'll have to take this elsewhere then :(" and showed him the $1300 I had in cash

Ended up going to another shop, completely customized the entire gun, had them build it for me, and made it mine for $834 including DROS and tax

I would so love to see the the expression on that guys face when you walked out... Great Story.

andrewj
12-16-2008, 11:29 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I started a tornado of a thread regarding this topic:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=132751

FS00008
12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
AdamM, where did you go to pick up your OLL for $834 out the door?

And I got that same kind of chit from the fellas in Martinez at Canyon Sports. Treated me like chit, so I went down teh road to Diablo Valey Gunworks and got some stuff from there that I had needed, but they didn't have the rifle I needed. Went to Contra Costa Collectible Firearms, they treated me fine. Sold me the Rifle I wanted and I wound up buying another one from them 11 days later when I picked up the first one. Great fellas there. They don't have any OLLs though :-/.

AdamM
12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
AdamM, where did you go to pick up your OLL for $834 out the door?

And I got that same kind of chit from the fellas in Martinez at Canyon Sports. Treated me like chit, so I went down teh road to Diablo Valey Gunworks and got some stuff from there that I had needed, but they didn't have the rifle I needed. Went to Contra Costa Collectible Firearms, they treated me fine. Sold me the Rifle I wanted and I wound up buying another one from them 11 days later when I picked up the first one. Great fellas there. They don't have any OLLs though :-/.

Andreotti Firearms in Castro Valley

$834 included:
DROS and Tax
Doublestar lower
DPMS LPK
Armalite upper (16" HBAR 1:9 twist)
Magpul CTR stock
Prince50 Mag Lock
10/20 Promag

Everything other than what I listed I added afterwards

Oh, and it has a MIAD and a B-15 now. Definitely invest in those.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/dagowpman/100_1397.jpg

The SoCal Gunner
12-17-2008, 2:43 AM
Treat a young guy like crap and you'll be losing out on years of purchases. All of these old geezers with tons of guns were young once weren't they?

Sunwolf
12-17-2008, 7:00 AM
I notice that treatment of young people at gunshops and gunshows once in awhile.Most gunshops don`t have the patience or even try to make time for the younger potential customers.Wrong!!!!!!!!!They are the future of gun owning in this country.I took the time to show a couple of youngsters various items that I was buying at a gun store(i.e let them handle an upper I was buying and a lower I was drosing).They went ahead and bought a couple of lowers apiece and I don`t even work there!

a-shot
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Some clothes don't fit me, my pockets are full though. Just come to the table ready to play. The sellers thoughts are irrelevant unless buyers don't know what they want. Then all kinds of variables come into play. You will sell me what I want, if not, I find it someplace else. Good people in Castro. Calguns rocks!

NuGunner
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't be afraid to speak up, "Excuse me when you get a chance I have some question, or I'd like to see such and such" Most of my encounters either the guy behind the counter is with another customer or I'm just browsing for potential buys.

thebloodsonthewall
12-17-2008, 5:43 PM
At some of the bigger stores I have had that problem. I buy most of my guns from someone that I have become friends with so he knows me. He even gives me around 10% off everything I buy. But I have been to other gun stores and they treat me differently then the older people around. Especially when I ask about reloading stuff. They just kind of brush me off. Little do they know that I have spent almost as much on my reloading set-up and supplies and I have on guns. They think just because I am 21 I don't reload.

I work in construction so most of the time I am at a gun store I am in my work clothes. I think sometimes that helps me.

daves100
12-17-2008, 7:18 PM
I have to agree with what Bill said. Appearances are EVERYTHING. It makes no matter how young you are. You don't have to go out of your way to dress up, but clean jeans and a tucked-in polo shirt (8$ at target) go a long way to get some attention.

Yes appearances is everything. back in 2003 pulled into the chevy dealer in a toyota dressed in a old pair of shorts and a t-shirt. was checking out the corvettes in the showroom salesmen kept walking right past me after about 15 minutes.

this lady walks up to me and asks if i need any help i tell her i would like to test drive the 2003 Z06 corvette she told me o.k let me get the keys.

test drove it came back and bought the car. Funny thing was had the pre-approved check from the bank.

Charliegone
12-18-2008, 6:33 AM
Dude...I've had older guys tell me "assault weapons" meh... if you like that kind of s**** go to Nevada.:rolleyes:

renardsubtil
12-18-2008, 8:49 AM
Appearence is one thing but imho the way you address people and your questions can help as well.

I'm kinda "youngish" looking but I have a C&R license and I like to look at the local gun shops consignments alot - these shops are usually run by older guys who prolly think I have no business even looking at the "antique stuff" but I usually make sure I address them formally and ask a couple well informed questions and they tend to drop the hard *** image.

CleverName
12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Knowing your stuff, and showing it by dropping a few comments to that effect really can change a salesperson's attitude quick. I've had that experience a few times.

davedog665
12-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't really care what they do or say or want. i Do enough research via calguns or other sources i know what i want and what a reasonable price is. I tell them straight forward hey im interested in this. Usually they might give me some bs like i haven't researched the product im interested in. But after a quick convo they realize im well educated and looking to buy. from then on im treated as a "normal customer". For the most part i purchase online for the best deals.

kmk
12-19-2008, 10:49 AM
im 36 and still get bad service because im not 60 .,.,and i dont just look ,,,i buy .,.,

SD13
12-24-2008, 6:21 PM
I get terrible service everywhere I go, Im 22 and I'm very heavily tattooed (jaw-line down).

Once people talk to me and realize I'm an intelligent person and not a criminal their pretty cool but from a glance most don't even want me in their place of business.

vinny_land
12-24-2008, 7:56 PM
I totally agree that appearance is everything BUT having some knowledge isnt bad either. I just turned 20 early this December but I have been purchasing my own firearms since I turned 18. Some stores here in Bakersfield tend to treat me with little to no respect based on what I wear. I once wore a Hurley shirt, shorts, and some Reef flip flops and wasnt asked if I needed some help. A few weeks later I showed up with clean jeans, button up shirt, and black shoes and was treated better.

Also showing that you can properly handle a firearm (example is good trigger discipline) is key that you are experienced and not just a noob/mall ninja.

sorensen440
12-24-2008, 8:57 PM
I'm 26 and have never been treated poorly at a gun store
might just be where you live
when I was in high school I was even treated well

JeffM
12-24-2008, 9:21 PM
I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Gun shops, or any business for that matter, shouldn't treat the young, or any other group, differently.

Sadly it happens.

There are a few ways to limit it though:

Looks: Like it's been said before, put on a clean pair of jeans or slacks and a collared shirt. Don't wear your pants lower than your ***.

Speech: Talk like you mean business. Know what you want, or at least know that you want something and have an idea about how the person at the counter can help you. If you don't know what you're talking about, it reinforces the "young & dumb" vibe. I went Christmas shopping a few weeks ago right after work. I was greasy, had 3 days worth of stubble, and had bags under my eyes like I hadn't slept in days. I looked quite homeless. When I went into a really nice shop, I grabbed a big-ticket item that I was getting as a gift and went strait to the counter. I said "can I leave this here while I shop for a few more things? And do you have a bag that I can take so I don't have to carry everything in my arms?" They said "no problem" and were very helpful with the rest of my purchasing. They knew I was there to throw money at them and it didn't matter what I looked like.

Attitude: Goes along with speech; know what you want, and be willing to go after it. Mean business. When I go into a busy bar and want to order a drink, I always have cash in hand and when the bartender sees it, it doesn't matter who was there first or last - he or she comes strait over to take my order.

pingpong
12-25-2008, 1:04 AM
I can't really fault the gun shops for passing over the young guys, since so many are just lookers and feelers. I just turned 21, but probably look 19. At some of the ranges and shops, they never asked if I needed help; I would always have to go up to them and tell them what I needed. Needless to say I didn't by anything substantial from them; I'd rather pay more for service than save money from buying from those dicks.

I remember going to the car dealership the week after I graduated college and was basically ignored by every car salesmen there. No joke, I had to go up to one of them, show them my bank statement and job offer letter (with the salary highlighted) before they took me seriously.

Of course, I didn't actually buy from them in the end because the price they gave me was crap; they probably thought I would pay anything told me was a good deal, and treated me like I knew nothing about cars. Ended up negotiating a price on the same car and hammering it down over the phone at a different dealership before even meeting with the salesman. The look on his face when he saw me was absolutely priceless.

thinkinblue613
12-25-2008, 3:47 AM
My first experience at a gun store I was with a buddy and the older man behind the counter helped me out. I could tell he was agitated as I asked him really dumb noobish questions but when I got home I did my research. Came back a week later and bought my first gun. Boom. Ever since then, I've been fine and actually bought another gun.

I've been to that store so many times each worker has done paperwork with me. hahaha

And Big 5 was the best because some of the workers there don't even know anything about the guns. This one guy couldn't get a gun off the rack as he was trying to pull the holders. He didn't realize all you had to do was push it upwards instead of pulling it. lol He was all red after that. Moments later, as I was examining a 91/30, a customer asked about the 10/22. He was asking the guy questions and he had no clue so I answered them all.

I came in the next day to buy the gun and the 10/22 was gone.

SD13
12-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I remember going to the car dealership the week after I graduated college and was basically ignored by every car salesmen there. No joke, I had to go up to one of them, show them my bank statement and job offer letter (with the salary highlighted) before they took me seriously.

When i bought my last car same thing happened to me, given i prob wouldnt have approached someone who looks like me either. But the only salesman to ask me if I needed any help was another young kid who had never made a sale before.

Vacaville
12-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Most gun store workers treat us all like crap. They aren't particular about age.

sytfu_RR
12-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Money talks, if you're young; as I am, just make sure you're informed about what you plan to buy, don't act like some mall ninja, and don't take anything the salesperson says to the heart. Generally they assume you don't know anything. Let them know, hey I have intent to buy, but I want to check this out before I do..etc I've had only minor issues with the attitude at firearm related stores. I get it more from dealerships and other places.

bornproud
12-28-2008, 8:32 PM
A lot of "gun people" that work in gun shop are not very personable, This has been said many time and I have to agree with it. I have worked in a gun shop before I have tried my best not to put anybody off, but it has happened sometimes. I think I have sold more to younger people than older people. I think gun shops need to hire younger staff. Younger staff will not be as judgementle as some older lady's and gents are.

I really want to open my own shop. I would do my best to pay my staff well. This will give me more motovated workers. I will open my own shop/complex one of these days. Some gun shop owners are retarded D!*KS and just take out on the workers and then the workers take it out on the customers.

But on the other hand, not all customers are CALGUN members and can drive someone up a wall. This is where I give my shout out to CALGUNS because this is the best forum out on the net PERIOD. Full of great people here and am proud to be a member.

ZirconJohn
12-28-2008, 9:34 PM
When you, a young feller, go into a gun store to purchase a firearm... and makes no difference on exact age. Let's just say this; I'm 52 years of age, and you are say under 30... You are a young feller to me.

I worked in a gun store for about 4 years, and now operate my own place.

It makes NO difference to me what you think, moreover, I seriously care less how you FEEL about it. Here is what I will red light you on, and remember... I have the store; I am in charge, you ARE NOT.

Be a good and respectable person, and I will be the very best sales associate I can possibly be for your purchase... "I work for you", and I give you my word of honor on that. I can assure you of one thing, I like guns as much as you… possibly more than you do.

Very sorry if this sounds harsh, I am very sorry and I apologize in advance. This not meant to hurt your feelings. All you have to do is be a respectable person and adhere to the following. Anything less is disrespect and I do not care if you take your business elsewhere... if you are disrespectful, I DO NOT want your type of 'disrespectful' business - therefore we would agree and so GET OUT!

Gun Dealers get enough disrespect from the gun grabbers and their politicians... we sure as hale don't need it from you!

Here are a few of my peeves:

Do not walk up to the gun counter acting like a tough-guy, because it DOES NOT make you appear older.

Take OFF the sunglasses!

Do not get all mouthy with me when I ask you for your I.D. if you want me to take a gun out of the glass case or from the rack so you can demo it. When I say "sure, may I first see your I.D. and verify your age?" – Please don’t say anything, simply get your wallet, open it, take your I.D. out and peacefully hand it to me. I will verify your age, and then if all is good... we may continue, period. In most cases, I am not only checking your age, I am checking your attitude as well, so please don’t blow it.

Do not wear your baseball cap sideways! - Turn your baseball cap straight where the bill is above your forehead... or even turn it all the way straight back, bill over your neck... I am okay with that. But, dude... sideways just REALLY makes you look (excuse me) DUMB! Moreover, I DO NOT care to sell a gun to someone what looks DUMB!

Before you come to a gun store... get those ridiculous baggy pants with the crotch wayyyyyyy down between your knees and your underwear showing all the way up to your NECK! Dude... I seen girls your own age LAUGH at you young fellers thinking it's cool... well it aint... and IT AINT cool especially in a gun shop, let alone what your dang girlfriend laughing at you!

Note, a little baggy is the fashion… I can go with that. Hey, I wore bell-bottoms when I was a kid, so I understand. The thing I’m talking about is the extreme mega baggy… well, you know. Just think a little before you go firearm shopping.

Do NOT wear gang colors and expect to get two steps inside my door! I DO NOT want to hear "oh, I'm not in a gang...", because if you are a kid, excuse me... if you are 'young' then you KNOW what gang colors are, and SO DO I know what they are... I will call you on it. I figure if you have enough b@lls to walk in a gun store wearing gang clothing and expect me to show you a firearm... I have enough b@lls to call you on it!

I wish I had a Polaroid and look on the face when I say "hey... NO GANG CLOTHING in here, you gonna have to leave!"

Well, I am certain I may have left something out, but suffice it to say 'I think y'all git my point!'

Respectable is the key word here gents... respect me the older guy, and I will respect you ten fold, I guarantee it!

Then when you get your own shop, you can do what you want.

pingpong
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
^^
All those are valid things. Obviously as a gun shop, you have to filter out the riffraff, and appearances is the number one thing people judge others on. Still, when I go in wearing a dress shirt and slacks (or at least nice jeans), some of the stores (not just only gun stores) still don't take me seriously. It sucks sometimes, but that's the way it is I guess. For these guys, money talks, so I dress like it, but sometimes it's still not enough.

andrewj
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
When you, a young feller, go into a gun store to purchase a firearm... and makes no difference on exact age. Let's just say this; I'm 52 years of age, and you are say under 30... You are a young feller to me.

It makes NO difference to me what you think, moreover, I seriously care less how you FEEL about it. Here is what I will red light you on, and remember... I have the store; I am in charge, you ARE NOT.

Be a good and respectable person, and I will be the very best sales associate I can possibly be for your purchase... "I work for you", and I give you my word of honor on that. I can assure you of one thing, I like guns as much as you… possibly more than you do.

Very sorry if this sounds harsh, I am very sorry and I apologize in advance. This not meant to hurt your feelings. All you have to do is be a respectable person and adhere to the following. Anything less is disrespect and I do not care if you take your business elsewhere... if you are disrespectful, I DO NOT want your type of 'disrespectful' business - therefore we would agree and so GET OUT!

Gun Dealers get enough disrespect from the gun grabbers and their politicians... we sure as hale don't need it from you!

Do not walk up to the gun counter acting like a tough-guy, because it DOES NOT make you appear older.

Take OFF the sunglasses!

Do not get all mouthy with me when I ask you for your I.D. if you want me to take a gun out of the glass case or from the rack so you can demo it. When I say "sure, may I first see your I.D. and verify your age?" – Please don’t say anything, simply get your wallet, open it, take your I.D. out and peacefully hand it to me. I will verify your age, and then if all is good... we may continue, period. In most cases, I am not only checking your age, I am checking your attitude as well, so please don’t blow it.

Do not wear your baseball cap sideways! - Turn your baseball cap straight where the bill is above your forehead... or even turn it all the way straight back, bill over your neck... I am okay with that. But, dude... sideways just REALLY makes you look (excuse me) DUMB! Moreover, I DO NOT care to sell a gun to someone what looks DUMB!

Before you come to a gun store... get those ridiculous baggy pants with the crotch wayyyyyyy down between your knees and your underwear showing all the way up to your NECK! Dude... I seen girls your own age LAUGH at you young fellers thinking it's cool... well it aint... and IT AINT cool especially in a gun shop, let alone what your dang girlfriend laughing at you!

Note, a little baggy is the fashion… I can go with that. Hey, I wore bell-bottoms when I was a kid, so I understand. The thing I’m talking about is the extreme mega baggy… well, you know. Just think a little before you go firearm shopping.

Do NOT wear gang colors and expect to get two steps inside my door! I DO NOT want to hear "oh, I'm not in a gang...", because if you are a kid, excuse me... if you are 'young' then you KNOW what gang colors are, and SO DO I know what they are... I will call you on it. I figure if you have enough b@lls to walk in a gun store wearing gang clothing and expect me to show you a firearm... I have enough b@lls to call you on it!

I wish I had a Polaroid and look on the face when I say "hey... NO GANG CLOTHING in here, you gonna have to leave!"

Well, I am certain I may have left something out, but suffice it to say 'I think y'all git my point!'

Respectable is the key word here gents... respect me the older guy, and I will respect you ten fold, I guarantee it!

Remind me to never shop at your store. I refuse to shop at someone's store who bases the type of service he will give on one's ball cap configuration or choice in colors.

One of your quotes sums it up well:
"Be a good and respectable person, and I will be the very best sales associate I can possibly be for your purchase"

^^^ That should be enough; your "pet peeves" should not be included into the equation. Of course, its your store, and your rules. Do as you wish.

pingpong
12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
^^
The gang colors is legitimate though. If school's won't allow you to wear gang colors on campus, it's only logical that a gun shop probably shouldn't either. The last thing any store wants is to do is have people associate their store with gangs; it's worse for a gun store since it may give people the impression that you're arming the gangs, too. You would have to be monumentally crazy/retarded to be wearing local gang colors when you're not in a gang; since dealers can't sell guns to mentally handicapped or insane people, it makes no sense to let them in :P.

ZirconJohn
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
^^
All those are valid things. Obviously as a gun shop, you have to filter out the riffraff, and appearances is the number one thing people judge others on. Still, when I go in wearing a dress shirt and slacks (or at least nice jeans), some of the stores (not just only gun stores) still don't take me seriously. It sucks sometimes, but that's the way it is I guess. For these guys, money talks, so I dress like it, but sometimes it's still not enough.

Yes Sir... you are exactly correct. This is a very tough business, and we Dealers must answer to, not only one authority, we answer to many higher authorities. We have a lot to constantly be aware of and it's not easy.

Suggestion, find a Dealer you get to know on first name basis, Introduce yourself, and when doing so maintain casual and constant eye contact and just be yourself.

Thank you for your comment, as I said in my post... sometimes I am looking for attitude compromised. We are behind the counter, and are therefore very acute to various moods and attitudes. You have the good attitude, very personable.

Thank you very much for your post, much appreciated.

ZirconJohn
12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Remind me to never shop at your store. I refuse to shop at someone's store who bases the type of service he will give on one's ball cap configuration or choice in colors.

"Be a good and respectable person, and I will be the very best sales associate I can possibly be for your purchase"

^^^ That should be enough; your "pet peeves" should not be included into the equation. Of course, its your store, and your rules. Do as you wish.

Thank you, nothing personal... but much respect to you sir, and thank you.

SD13
12-29-2008, 1:06 AM

Id have to agree Id take my business elsewhere, part of respect is respecting ones choice to wear what they feel comfortable in. I can even see where your coming from with knowing what a banger looks like, I grew up in LA so I know where your coming from. I can tell if a person just likes red or blue or if their banging, but what about bikers, skinheads, woods, southsiders/MM (none of these are associated with baggy jeans and colors).

Like you said we are the consumers as a retail business owner you work for us we put the food on your table. Being a law abiding citizen should be the only prerequisite I need for purchasing a rifle or gun.

B.D.Dubloon
12-29-2008, 8:23 AM
What is is with older guys in gunstores being self righteous jerks? Maybe it is being conservative in California for so many years makes you standoffish and overbearing when you have the chance. I agree that people shouldn't dress like they are gang members or wear hats sideways, but to deny them service you are only hurting yourself. If they were real gang members, they'd buy stolen ones off the street for a fraction of what you are selling them for. Plus, if your header is to be believed, you live in Ukiah, WHAT GANGS?

Anyway, as it's been stated, do as you please, it's your store. But don't think that by being incredibly inflexible you are helping get the younger generation into shooting sports and save our hobby. You probably don't care since you'll be dead by the time our rights are in mortal jeopardy, and you probably already have your fun stuff grandfathered in so the bans and restrictions don't hit you so hard.

BDD

SD13
12-29-2008, 1:38 PM
^^
The gang colors is legitimate though. If school's won't allow you to wear gang colors on campus, it's only logical that a gun shop probably shouldn't either. The last thing any store wants is to do is have people associate their store with gangs; it's worse for a gun store since it may give people the impression that you're arming the gangs, too. You would have to be monumentally crazy/retarded to be wearing local gang colors when you're not in a gang; since dealers can't sell guns to mentally handicapped or insane people, it makes no sense to let them in :P.

Look how well that policy has worked for public schools, i mean no disrespect to you but anyone whos gone to a public school could tell you their policies are anything but efficient.

If you really wanna get down to it look at columbine and any other act of school related violence...the bangers arent the ones to worry about if you look at it from that perspective its the nerdy white kids that sit at home and play violent video games right????

point being stereotypes suck, almost everyone believes them and their hardly true.

ZirconJohn
12-29-2008, 1:56 PM
What is is with older guys in gunstores being self righteous jerks? Maybe it is being conservative in California for so many years makes you standoffish and overbearing when you have the chance. I agree that people shouldn't dress like they are gang members or wear hats sideways, but to deny them service you are only hurting yourself. If they were real gang members, they'd buy stolen ones off the street for a fraction of what you are selling them for. Plus, if your header is to be believed, you live in Ukiah, WHAT GANGS?

Anyway, as it's been stated, do as you please, it's your store. But don't think that by being incredibly inflexible you are helping get the younger generation into shooting sports and save our hobby. You probably don't care since you'll be dead by the time our rights are in mortal jeopardy, and you probably already have your fun stuff grandfathered in so the bans and restrictions don't hit you so hard.

BDD

Now, now... calm down, please relax. This here exactly what I am talking about, attitude check.

We are talking big picture, general info at various locations. You cannot think of only what you want; think outside that box and meet the old guys in the middle... common ground and the world is your oyster.

I am not asking you to break your attire code, I am merely asking you to bend your attire code a little so we can meet in the middle. Notice I said take it easy on the baggy pants thing, turn the hat all the way back, or front... wear a shirt, and not a 'wife beater' etc, etc.

I will still hold my ground, it is my store, and so please be presentable, and most of all respectable, and you will be MY BOSS! - Serious, I mean it... I will call you Sir.

But, so too does it work the other way... you want to be Mr. Attitude, little man wanna be big tough guy... I become your boss and then so... so that's that!

Capieshe!

Strictly business... you understand.

SD13
12-29-2008, 2:11 PM
Now, now... calm down, please relax. This here exactly what I am talking about, attitude check.

We are talking big picture, general info at various locations. You cannot think of only what you want; think outside that box and meet the old guys in the middle... common ground and the world is your oyster.

I am not asking you to break your attire code, I am merely asking you to bend your attire code a little so we can meet in the middle. Notice I said take it easy on the baggy pants thing, turn the hat all the way back, or front... wear a shirt, and not a 'wife beater' etc, etc.

I will still hold my ground, it is my store, and so please be presentable, and most of all respectable, and you will be MY BOSS! - Serious, I mean it... I will call you Sir.

But, so too does it work the other way... you want to be Mr. Attitude, little man wanna be big tough guy... I become your boss and then so... so that's that!

Capieshe!

Strictly business... you understand.

Like you said it all comes down to attitude.

You were our age once Im sure you can understand when I say that the young bucks naturally get a little more confrontational when were told we cant do something we have the right to do, however if someone gives me the respect i deserve for being me not what I wear I will be alot more likely to respectfully pull up my pants, etc in their presence.

Kinda like smoking, if someone comes up to me outside on a public street with a condescending attitude and tells me to put out my cigarette dont be surprised when you get a face full of smoke, however if you kindly walk up to me and politely ask me to put it out because it bothers you I will no questions.

pingpong
12-29-2008, 2:21 PM
Look how well that policy has worked for public schools, i mean no disrespect to you but anyone whos gone to a public school could tell you their policies are anything but efficient.

If you really wanna get down to it look at columbine and any other act of school related violence...the bangers arent the ones to worry about if you look at it from that perspective its the nerdy white kids that sit at home and play violent video games right????

point being stereotypes suck, almost everyone believes them and their hardly true.

That doesn't prove it's ineffective though. As you pointed out, we should worry about the nerdy white kids sitting at home playing violent video games, right? But maybe that's because gang-related shootings at school have dropped off some (I'm not saying that is has, of course) to the point that white-nerdy-video-game violence has overtaken it. What it comes down to is the image that you want to convey to the public at large; you want to show people that you have a strong stance against gangs.

SD13
12-29-2008, 2:24 PM
That doesn't prove it's ineffective though. As you pointed out, we should worry about the nerdy white kids sitting at home playing violent video games, right? But maybe that's because gang-related shootings at school have dropped off some (I'm not saying that is has, of course) to the point that white-nerdy-video-game violence has overtaken it.

touche, i honestly didnt think about it that way until you put it like that.

B.D.Dubloon
12-29-2008, 4:57 PM
Maybe I did have a bit of an attitude, for that I am sorry. But seriously, please tell us about the gang problems in Ukiah. Really, I at least want to know. It's my understanding that there aren't a lot of minorities up in that area, who comprise the majority of gang members in larger metropolitan areas. Are there Bloods and Crips there, or just a bunch of white punks? It seems to me that without a gang presence in the area, red and blue ought to go back to just being colors.

And I wasn't talking about you particularly, I have no idea about your customer service style. I bet if I came into your store we'd get along fine, I dress well, speak well, and am in general polite. But I have noticed a lot of bad attitudes from older guys working in gunshops, they mostly seem condescending and aloof. I've bought guns in this state from San Diego to San Jose, and it seems pretty regular to me.

BDD

SD13
12-29-2008, 6:40 PM
Maybe I did have a bit of an attitude, for that I am sorry. But seriously, please tell us about the gang problems in Ukiah. Really, I at least want to know. It's my understanding that there aren't a lot of minorities up in that area, who comprise the majority of gang members in larger metropolitan areas. Are there Bloods and Crips there, or just a bunch of white punks? It seems to me that without a gang presence in the area, red and blue ought to go back to just being colors.

And I wasn't talking about you particularly, I have no idea about your customer service style. I bet if I came into your store we'd get along fine, I dress well, speak well, and am in general polite. But I have noticed a lot of bad attitudes from older guys working in gunshops, they mostly seem condescending and aloof. I've bought guns in this state from San Diego to San Jose, and it seems pretty regular to me.

BDD

man i want red back period it's my favorite color and i wear it alot....didnt help growing up in L.A. I got stabbed in 5th grade for it with a pair of scissors in the shoulder (true story) and got a death threat every couple months in highschool.

Vacaville
12-29-2008, 7:25 PM
BDD

There are Hispanic and white gangs in the Ukiah area, don't know about Bloods or Crips. I used to live up there. Actually had a young girl working for me who was the get-away driver for a gang murder. Came to work acting weird as hell and the cops arrested her the next day. Travel about 20 miles east of Ukiah and you get into Lake County which has probably one of the highest concentrations of ex-cons in the state. It's a drug-dealing, tweaker heaven.

ZirconJohn
12-29-2008, 9:02 PM
Like you said it all comes down to attitude.

You were our age once Im sure you can understand when I say that the young bucks naturally get a little more confrontational when were told we cant do something we have the right to do, however if someone gives me the respect i deserve for being me not what I wear I will be alot more likely to respectfully pull up my pants, etc in their presence.

Kinda like smoking, if someone comes up to me outside on a public street with a condescending attitude and tells me to put out my cigarette dont be surprised when you get a face full of smoke, however if you kindly walk up to me and politely ask me to put it out because it bothers you I will no questions.

Well of course I understand... I was once your age. I aint no dang know-it-all, and I aint no dang tough-guy either. All we ask is respect, exactly the same respect you are asking of us old guys - it is the SAME thing coming from either party.

I have a job for you...

Try this when next you walk into a gun store... wait your turn if you have to, and casually approach the salesman. Do whatever you have to do, say whatever you have to say, but get the message across that you are interested in asking for their expert advice, say words like Sir, Mr, thank you, say please, be polite. Wear a nice shirt, don't have to be dress shirt... just a regular nice shirt... but wear your hat sideways and let the salesman see your sideways cap. Then when he approaches you, say "oh, excuse me Sir", straighten your hat and let him see you do it. Look the salesman in the eyes and ask for permission to pick something up form the top of the counter, even though you can because it's there for you to pick-up... say please, but ask. Make a friend, let the 'firearms expert' helping you tell you everything he knows about firearms. He just wants some respect, that's all... then he gonna give a same repect right back to you.

When you have a conversation with the older guy salesman, ask him about what we are talking about here... ask him.

Go try it, you have nothing to lose... however, you have everything to gain.

Come back and let us know what happened.

Thank you,

ZirconJohn
12-29-2008, 9:22 PM

BDD

Thank you Sir, I really appreciate your post very much. The only thing separates us is difference in age, and what we are doing here is bridging the gap between said age so we can "all just get along". - You know who said that, right?

I will elaborate on your 'what's it like in Ukiah?' question later... I just had to respond to your post and acknowledge your tremendous respect!

When I was about 21 years of age I received some very good advice from a gentleman of the same age I am now, and that advice is this, he said "Delgado, there is no such thing as problems... there are only opportunities in which to improve ourselves".

Thank you for the opportunity you have given me that I may better serve you when we conduct business.

Respectfully,

chiz
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
wearing gang colors dont mean you are in a gang. i see people dressed all in blue one day.hat ,shirt,shoes and belt. and the the very next day they are dressed in all red. are they gang members or peolpe that like to have there clothes match. unless you know them pesonally you dont know what there story is.the only way to find out is to actually talk to them. but you pass them over because of the way they look you will never get to know them. also almost any color can be aassociated with gangs not just red and blue.
when i want to give MY money to someone else i dont expect poor treatment because of the way i dress.

tango5
01-09-2009, 7:39 PM

Go talk to Ken and Bill at Diablo Valley Gun Works in Pleasant Hill/Concord. Great guys. If the shop you had a bad experience with happens to be in Antioch, then go to DVGW.

lorax3
01-17-2009, 3:44 PM
First impressions of a dealer are important to me, and dealers should be aware that treating their customers equally is very important.

Not to categorize, but I would say those who are of the younger crown are more likely to use the internet or post on forums, so if you treat an legitimate shopper who is 18 like sh** then expect to have a forum topic posted about your bad service as a dealer.

I have a few places that I visit now regularly because of how kind and helpful they were when I was first learning about guns.

There are also places on the other hand that I will never walk into again, because I was ignored and when I asked questions I got short answers and was given no eye contact.

-lorax

Linus
01-17-2009, 8:08 PM
Bought my first rifle when I was 18 and never got any weird faces. I just proved my age and they started throwing all kind of rifles/shotguns at me. By the way this was a RC-gun exchange in Sac. :thumbsup:

bohoki
01-17-2009, 9:22 PM
if someone said cuz that many times i would probably be less respectful

AlexBreya
01-17-2009, 9:53 PM
if you want to appear more mature when buying a gun, just run up the the counter, take a breather, pull out a piggy bank, break it on the counter, then pull some change out of your pocket, and say "how many guns can i get with this many money?"

Fantasma
01-18-2009, 4:50 PM
if you want to appear more mature when buying a gun, just run up the the counter, take a breather, pull out a piggy bank, break it on the counter, then pull some change out of your pocket, and say "how many guns can i get with this many money?"

HAHAHA +1 This is great advice. :p

leitung
01-21-2009, 1:55 PM
I am 20 and get treated like crap alot, gun show owners watch me like a hawk when looking at mags for glocks, it's kinda funny accually. I always get carded when I ask to look at a gun, and I had one dealer stare at me one time and shout "And how old are you?" from across the store. Get used to it.. some older gun guys think if some 18-20 year old kid is into guns he must be some kind of criminal or wanna be gangbanger.
I love to kill it with kindness, yes sir no sir, and demonstrating how I probably know more about the gun laws in California then they do.

lorax3
01-21-2009, 3:08 PM
I love to kill it with kindness, yes sir no sir, and demonstrating how I probably know more about the gun laws in California then they do.

Yeah I agree, sometimes it's hard though. When I overhear an FFL telling a customer false information I usually try and correct them when it is false, or something that will get them in trouble with the law. I get the worst looks at that point. Hey, not everyone knows all the laws I guess.

Although sometimes I see other "younger" want to be gangbanger types who think they can walk unto Big 5 and buy a handgun. First of all they do not even sell handguns, but they still look into the glass where the airsoft guns are and assume they are real guns. It's great.

-lorax

dfxjedi
01-21-2009, 6:51 PM

Take OFF the sunglasses!

What colors do you consider gang colors,other than red?

Is blue plad a gang color?
Every once in a while I get some looks when I walk in to a store(not just a gun store)wearing my blue plad shirt.

I've never been treated bad at any of the gun stores i've been to,no matter how I look(with the 1 time exception of a big 5 worker pointing 2 guns at me because he didn't know how to handle guns).

climber
02-01-2009, 1:40 PM
Thank you, nothing personal... but much respect to you sir, and thank you.

this is why i ALWAYS turn my baseballl cap from the side to the front before doin' business with ya. :thumbsup:

Travis8128
02-01-2009, 2:51 PM
im 15 and when i go to gun shops i get treated like a five year old until i basically talk there ear off about ca gun laws,2a politics, and the gun im looking at until they realalize that i actually know something about guns and probably more than they do while im at it.

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 4:08 PM
im 15 and when i go to gun shops i get treated like a five year old until i basically talk there ear off about ca gun laws,2a politics, and the gun im looking at until they realalize that i actually know something about guns and probably more than they do while im at it.

Damn, six years till you can get a handgun. That is a loooooong time.

BDD

Army GI
02-01-2009, 8:40 PM
I don't know if I'm considered "young" anymore by you guy's standards (I just turned 23) but yeah I get the stink eye whenever I walk into a gun store.

dwa
02-01-2009, 11:53 PM
i think its important to connect with the younger shooters whenever an opportunity presents itself. its a war for votes and we need everyone on our side. the young are one of the prize demographics

vinny_land
02-02-2009, 9:04 AM
i think its important to connect with the younger shooters whenever an opportunity presents itself. its a war for votes and we need everyone on our side. the young are one of the prize demographics
On youtube, there is a video of Clint Smith talking about a Remington 870, and the thing that stuck to me was that he said, "The youth are a trying force in the gun world." I think in the world that we "young" people live in (especially in California), I think it is important that we continue this fight in the 2nd amendment. What we need is some kind of Hollywood socialite who is willing to be a spokesperson for a gun lobby group (NRA). Kinda hard to find nowadays.

B.D.Dubloon
02-02-2009, 5:37 PM
On youtube, there is a video of Clint Smith talking about a Remington 870, and the thing that stuck to me was that he said, "The youth are a trying force in the gun world." I think in the world that we "young" people live in (especially in California), I think it is important that we continue this fight in the 2nd amendment. What we need is some kind of Hollywood socialite who is willing to be a spokesperson for a gun lobby group (NRA). Kinda hard to find nowadays.

Moses did a great job for us. RIP Charlton Heston.

Travis8128
02-02-2009, 7:36 PM
Damn, six years till you can get a handgun. That is a loooooong time.

BDD

well i can technically get one its just in my dads name like i do with all my guns.

they'll be transferred when im of age.

1mean76
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM

lol hahahahahaha that would be a good joke if the person was being mean or rude. just slap a piggy bank on the table and say is this better

OnSightFirearms
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM

I did exactly what you did. Took my money and walked out...

Once when I was 16, with my mother and I paid cash for a brand New1986 Yamaha FZR 600...becasue the Kawasaki dealer was ajerk and told me "don't shift gears on that, it doesnt have any oil in it!" I had been riding for 4 years already and I knew better. HE was an idiot. My mother was amazed I had saved for over a year for a NINJA...but I went elsewhere.

Another time, I walked out of a Chevy Dealership where I was going to buy a new Tahoe with 10K down....I left and went and bought a used one a couple years old and paid cash....jerks.

and most recently...I was going to buy ONE Doublestar...OLL from a 'stealer' who treated me like crap....failed to even call me back after two weeks and a promise that he would find me a lower. You see my wife had purchased a gift certificate for one and they sold out.

I took my little $260.00 elsewhere and bought FOUR lowers and an upper, 3 LPK, Stocks, Magazines and BBs from someone else. dumass...should have treated me like a customer instead of an inconvenience and HE could be spending the $3k....

I DONT look too young...but..still...they never change...most of these guys DO make oney off their hobby and hand over fist...they cherry pick their customers and treat everyone else like chumps.

Whose the chump now? :gunsmilie:

CSACANNONEER
02-09-2009, 5:05 AM
I bought my first "gun" from a shop when I was 14. It was a Benjamin .22 air rifle that they had to order for me. They felt sorry for me because the used S&W they had had just sold so, they ordered and sold me a new gun at or below their cost. They treated me like new customer that they wanted repeat bussiness from. Of course, they got both my bussiness and my dad's until they closed. At first, I would go into the shop alone and they did not know who I was yet, I must have had the right ATTITUDE because, I was always treated like everyone else who walked through the doors. When I've been behind the counter, attitude is what I've always judged people on. I've blown off old guys to show a Chipmunk to a 5 year old and his mother. If you think your poor service is only due to your age, think again. A couple years ago, I sent my 11 year old stepson over to the firearms section of Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno to get some powder. He quickly got help and asked for a jug of H50BMG. The salesman returned with a 1lb can and handed it to him. He almost laughed and politely (his mom was there) told the salesman that he needed the big 8lb jug because 1lb only loads about 27 rounds. The salesman went back and got it for him without any hesitation. This is just another example how the right attitude from a knowledgable youngster allowed a sales person to see past his age and gave him the respect that any customer deserves. If you think that poor sevice is a result of your age, try changing your young "know-it-all" or "imature" attitude. If you know your poor service is only due to your age, find another shop to go to.

ViPER395
02-12-2009, 3:29 PM
I HATE THAT!!

I'm 30, but look like i'm 17 so I get ignored until the guys in the fishing vests clear.

AJAX22
02-12-2009, 3:59 PM
young customers are excelent long term investments for buisnesses.
Just because they don't have a lot of money right now, doesn't mean they won't have a lot in the future (when you stop having to pay 60K per year on tuition you find yourself with a lot of disposable income)

treat them right and they'll come back for the next 50 years.

technique
02-13-2009, 7:06 AM
I have never had a problem...when I go into a shop, I never take special care in how I dress. Heck I don't even bother talking to the employees half the time, most that really ever comes out is.."can I see that?".."I'll take it!".

But locally, I know everyone and they know me. So...

I understand younger folks (well I'm 25) have lots of questions. I find personally, if I even set foot in a gunshop I am already there because I know what I want..I'm not really "shopping". I have already done my research and I'm purchasing. Or I'm just grabbing ammo.

360PA
02-13-2009, 8:53 AM
80% of the goons behind the counter don't know what they are talking about or are just offering up their opinion as they have their preferences. Know all you can before you go so that you don't have to ask too many questions if any at all. I remember buying a savage bolt gun used from a shop. I didn't know how to take the bolt out of the gun. I came back to the shop to ask and 3 of them were monkey-f#*%ng the gun before another guy that knew what the heck he was doing came out. I mean a savage is a common gun, and they didn't know?

dark45
02-14-2009, 5:47 AM
i have gone in some stores and been looked at oddly, longer hair, lip ring, gaged ears, eyebrow rings, black metal shirt, dark blue or black jeans, and a heavy coat on. but once i go in talk to the guy make eye contact ask how the doj has been treating them and ask if they have "insert gun i am looking for here" instock or if they can get for me they lighten up. its not always about looks if they are slightly open to diference that is. its about atitude and respect. if they don't like your kind i doubt you will like their kind so agree to dissagree wright the gas money loss to learning who to avoide and find a place that you can agree with. it isn't always as personal as one might think. you say its retail well yes it is but there is a twist, most of the entire country hates there living guts and the goverment tries to kill their buissness or find an excuse to all the time. get used to it, or if you can't find a place suck it up, be a man, play their game, and get what you want. end of story.

leitung
02-19-2009, 6:14 AM
Here is some tips for the younger guys that are getting into guns, just based on my experence.

1)Dress nicely, before going to the gun shop, or if I know I am going to a gun store, I leave my Sean Johns and Rocawears at home. Dress for the enviroment, usually I wear my craftsman jacket I wear when I go fishing or something and a fruit of the loom t-shirt and jeans.

2)Talk right.. That means not calling the dealer "homie", "cuz", "dude", "homeboy" e.t.c.. Avoid terms such as "hella", "gat", "hecka", and "yo". "Yes Sir/Ma'am No Sir/Ma'am" really help things along.

3) Make eye contact when possible, I know it's hard becuase you are drooling all over the wide array of firearms, but this shows honesty.

4) Act mature.. this really goes without saying. Act like an adult and you most likely will be treated as such.

5) Know what you are doing there.. If you are looking for a certain gun, remember what it is, what caliber you want it in, and what features you want. If you are there to find something to spend money on, I usualy ask the dealer straight up what the specials are.

6) Take an older buddy if possible. I find having my dad come along really relaxes dealers, he puts on the "old white guy" thing really good... :)

7) Have your ID ready, I usually take my ID out of my wallet and put it in a quickly accessible pocket. Give it up without a fight or any questions when carded. Also, if you are under 21 and dont have a parent or someone older than 21 along with you, enjoy looking at handguns through the glass.. Dont even bother to ask..

I hope this helps, feel free to add to my list...

wilson_wwsc
03-10-2009, 9:03 AM
I went to a big 5 and they were all nice poeple, and knowledgeable about the gusn they had. I dont remember a time when I wasn't treated well at a gun store, and im 20.

rojocorsa
03-15-2009, 5:18 PM
Politeness is king.

Blue
03-15-2009, 5:21 PM
I went to a big 5 and they were all nice poeple, and knowledgeable about the gusn they had. I dont remember a time when I wasn't treated well at a gun store, and im 20.

Big 5 is hardly a gun shop.

ViPER395
03-15-2009, 5:50 PM
Which even strengthens his point.

Usually Big 5 are a bunch of sissy-man and soccer players with a part time job only for the cash. They usually know nothing about guns. Very little about anything else. IIRC a Big 5 manager is the only person who can sell the guns, and although the one I bought my Model 60 at knew a little bit, he was no expert, and i've seen much worse at other Big 5's.

Big 5 is hardly a gun shop.

Turo
05-03-2009, 2:57 PM
I never had a problem with being ignored in gun shops when I was with my dad. The very first time I went in alone (I was 19 at the time) I was treated like a regular customer and was allowed to inspect all the firearms I asked to look at. The second time, however, in the same store, I asked to see a handgun that I had actually handled the day before and the guy flat out told me "No." I was polite and courteous and asked why not, when he told me that it was illegal for people under 21 to hold pistols. Basically his idea was, "I'm not getting commission off this kid, so I'm going to tell him to buzz off."

Needless to say I told him I would be taking my business elsewhere, and I did.

sega18
05-06-2009, 3:29 PM
I am 17 and have been to two gun shops. I wanted an AR15 and decided to make it into a "father son project" with my dad (mostly because I'm, well, 17). So we knew we were looking for an OLL. We went to Canyon Sports in Martinez. We went in and asked if they had any OLLs and they showed us the only one they had. They wanted $400 for it, and told my dad and I that we were better off buying a complete AR (they tried to sell us a S&W for about 2k). They were very friendly, but their priced weren't exactly competitive. However, they WERE friendly. Probably because of my dad. The second store we went to was Diablo Valley Gun Works. We bought an OLL there. We didn't socialize that much. They treated us nicely, but I'd go to Canyon Sports to fondle.

MikeinnLA
05-06-2009, 5:13 PM

They don't hate you because you're young. They hate you because you don't capitalize correctly. Who are you, e.e. cummings? :rofl2:

Mike

brassburnz
05-06-2009, 5:31 PM
My son is only 13, but he is known by every gunshop and shooting range we frequent. He's on a first name basis with everyone and gets perks even I don't get. Why? Because not only is he an easy going guy, but he knows more about firearms than just about all the customers and shooters we see.

He was raised around firearms and can tell in an instant if somebody is a newbie or not. One day we were in a gunstore and a customer was waiving a pistol around with no clue where the muzzle was pointed. Every time my son was just about to get swept, he'd duck and back up. After the customer left, the counter guy laughed and made a comment about my son's "dance." My son said, "I know the Glock wasn't loaded. I just don't like to get swept."

When he is old enough to buy his first firearm, hopefully his friends will still be at the gunstores and the ranges. But we do live in L.A., and who knows how things will be.

MrSigmaDOT40
05-07-2009, 9:48 AM
I did exactly what you did. Took my money and walked out...

Once when I was 16, with my mother and I paid cash for a brand New1986 Yamaha FZR 600...becasue the Kawasaki dealer was ajerk and told me "don't shift gears on that, it doesnt have any oil in it!" I had been riding for 4 years already and I knew better. HE was an idiot. My mother was amazed I had saved for over a year for a NINJA...but I went elsewhere.

Another time, I walked out of a Chevy Dealership where I was going to buy a new Tahoe with 10K down....I left and went and bought a used one a couple years old and paid cash....jerks.

and most recently...I was going to buy ONE Doublestar...OLL from a 'stealer' who treated me like crap....failed to even call me back after two weeks and a promise that he would find me a lower. You see my wife had purchased a gift certificate for one and they sold out.

I took my little $260.00 elsewhere and bought FOUR lowers and an upper, 3 LPK, Stocks, Magazines and BBs from someone else. dumass...should have treated me like a customer instead of an inconvenience and HE could be spending the $3k....

I DONT look too young...but..still...they never change...most of these guys DO make oney off their hobby and hand over fist...they cherry pick their customers and treat everyone else like chumps.

Whose the chump now? :gunsmilie:

That FZR weighed A TON didn't it LOL:p

Josh3239
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think I have ever had a problem at a gun shop. Mostly because I am always friendly, polite, knowledgable and obey gun safety (which doesn't seem to be obeyed by customers). The only time I have ever put my finger on the trigger of a firearm I was holding was when the salesman (yep Tim that was you ;)) told me to feel the trigger.

Leitung put together a really nice list. I can't think of points to add but I'll elaborate some:

1) Leave the piercings at home. I probably should have been born many years ago with my views on society, but the fact is most gun store employees were born before gauges. I don't have tats or piercings, but going into a gunstore with gauges, a ring through your nose, and sleeves up and down your arms and legs is not the "typical" look of a mature, law abiding person. If you like that stuff that's cool, but chances are good that most gun store employees will have already have formed a negative opinion of you already. That is not to say that won't change, but going in there looking like a punk or a criminal isn't going to help you out.

2) Gunshops are not the spot for "counterstrike talk", "gangsta speak" or slang. It is considered immature at the very least. When I go to gunshops I almost always get into long conversations with the staff and believe me, they hate immature kids/gangsta or counterstrike talkers. The last time I made a PPT some Mexican kid came and based on his dress and tattoos he looked like a gangmember. On his way out of the store he saw the rifle I sold and said something to the effect of, "I hope you blast some foos." Usage of the word "shottie" will make you look like an idiot.

3) Eye contact is good one as well. I am a firm believer in that eye contact can tell you a lot about a person.

4) Knowing what is actually for sale is preferable. It amazes me that people aren't embarrassed when they come in and ask about every single handgun on display... sometimes twice. The last time I was in a gun shop one group of Mexican kids dressed and talking like gangmembers came into the store, they asked about every single handgun in the store's price twice and it seemed they only knew two cartridges, "40's" or "9's".

5) The older friends one can only help, but in my experience if you act like a mature, law abiding, person who knows where they are you shouldn't need this.

6) Of course you need ID, but I have never been carded unless I am buying something. In fact, I have never even been asked for an HSC when looking or renting handguns. I suppose your mileage may vary on that one.

pat038536
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM

When I was younger and buying guns at 18/19/20, I always went into the shops with just a simple, cheap, black tucked-in polo shirt and never got treated differently for being young. I still looked young, don't get me wrong, but I didn't act it.

First rule of retail is *Never* judge a potential customer based on appearance.
That customer you just snubbed might of been a potential long term customer with lots of cash to spend at your store.

andrewj
05-10-2009, 12:23 AM
1) Leave the piercings at home. I probably should have been born many years ago with my views on society, but the fact is most gun store employees were born before gauges. I don't have tats or piercings, but going into a gunstore with gauges, a ring through your nose, and sleeves up and down your arms and legs is not the "typical" look of a mature, law abiding person. If you like that stuff that's cool, but chances are good that most gun store employees will have already have formed a negative opinion of you already. That is not to say that won't change, but going in there looking like a punk or a criminal isn't going to help you out.

A gun store employee that determines the quality of service he will give me based on my pierced face and tattoos doesnt deserve my money.

You had it right when you said this:

I don't think I have ever had a problem at a gun shop. Mostly because I am always friendly, polite, knowledgable and obey gun safety.

If I walk into a gun store looking like Tommy Lee, I expect to receive the same service the employee would give to someone with the "typical look of a mature, law abiding person." (as you put it). My facial accessories and skin artwork shouldnt be included into the equation.

First rule of retail is *Never* judge a potential customer based on appearance.
That customer you just snubbed might of been a potential long term customer with lots of cash to spend at your store.

Well said

1mean76
05-22-2009, 8:55 PM
They don't hate you because you're young. They hate you because you don't capitalize correctly. Who are you, e.e. cummings? :rofl2:

Mike

Im sorry are you tryin to be funny?

scotthmt
05-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll chime in on this one too since im somewhat young, 22, I have been treated in a less than acceptable manner at gun shops before, but most of the time when you hear someone speak, right off the bat you can tell they know their sh*t so from that point forward it doesn't matter that theyre young. I've built up tons of AK's probably a contender for the top 15 most ak's built by a single CGN member, and when people first meet me I can tell that they're a bit suprised that im so young yet so capable to do all this, but after a session of work they understand, I know what the &*%( im talking about and what the $*&* im doing and are very grateful I helped them out and taught them. All of the people I have helped have been older than me, but I always get respect as the teacher no matter my age.

Josh3239
05-26-2009, 4:15 PM
A gun store employee that determines the quality of service he will give me based on my pierced face and tattoos doesnt deserve my money.

If I walk into a gun store looking like Tommy Lee, I expect to receive the same service the employee would give to someone with the "typical look of a mature, law abiding person." (as you put it). My facial accessories and skin artwork shouldnt be included into the equation.

No disrespect, but that is a fantasy land. You will be judged by the guys behind the counter at a gun store every time. This is a two way street, you will be judged no matter what - good or bad, but it can only help you if you are judged as a mature person. If someone young, who is tattoo'd and/or pierced, came into a store I owned, I would absolutely keep my eye on that person. He may be a future friend, but based on his first impression, I should keep my eye on this person.

Raverous
08-06-2009, 6:38 PM
I was in Yuba City today and on my way out of town I decided to stop by a certain gun store which I won't name unless specifically requested. I walked in and was immediately greeted by someone I didn't meet the last time I was there, someone who I presume to be the owner. He said "Hi, how are you doing?" I looked him in the eyes and said "Good, thank you." I noticed he was giving me some sort of death stare like I was an alien or something. I don't walk with a gangbanger limp or wear my pants under my cheeks or anything like that.. I'm just a normal looking guy. I was wearing black 511s and a black button up shirt, maybe he thought I was a mall ninja? :rolleyes:

I ignored his hostile stare and noticed a lady(who happened to be the only other customer in the store) with her small son(he looked about 2 years old) was asking another employee about getting a ccw permit. I continued to walk over to a counter on the side of the store to look at the shotgun rack and then at the counter of single action revolvers. He had one that said "serious inquires only, no handling without gloves" I don't know the brand or model but it was a nice looking single action revolver with ivory grips.

I continued on and walked over to the counter he was standing at and for about 10 seconds looked at the handguns in the counter I glanced up at him and he was still staring at me as if he thought I was going to rob the place. I seriously felt like he was about to pummel me, like I was extremely unwelcome in this place or I had interrupted something simply by walking into the place.

At this point I felt a bit uncomfortable and decided to leave. I looked at him and smiled, his stone face didn't change. As far as I could tell he was staring at me like that the entire time I was there and didn't stop until I had walked out the door.

I guess he didn't want the $2300 cash in my pocket. It's unlikely I'll return.

gotgunz
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I was in Yuba City today and on my way out of town I decided to stop by a certain gun store which I won't name unless specifically requested. I walked in and was immediately greeted by someone I didn't meet the last time I was there, someone who I presume to be the owner. He said "Hi, how are you doing?" I looked him in the eyes and said "Good, thank you." I noticed he was giving me some sort of death stare like I was an alien or something. I don't walk with a gangbanger limp or wear my pants under my cheeks or anything like that.. I'm just a normal looking guy. I was wearing black 511s and a black button up shirt, maybe he thought I was a mall ninja? :rolleyes:

I ignored his hostile stare and noticed a lady(who happened to be the only other customer in the store) with her small son(he looked about 2 years old) was asking another employee about getting a ccw permit. I continued to walk over to a counter on the side of the store to look at the shotgun rack and then at the counter of single action revolvers. He had one that said "serious inquires only, no handling without gloves" I don't know the brand or model but it was a nice looking single action revolver with ivory grips.

I continued on and walked over to the counter he was standing at and for about 10 seconds looked at the handguns in the counter I glanced up at him and he was still staring at me as if he thought I was going to rob the place. I seriously felt like he was about to pummel me, like I was extremely unwelcome in this place or I had interrupted something simply by walking into the place.

At this point I felt a bit uncomfortable and decided to leave. I looked at him and smiled, his stone face didn't change. As far as I could tell he was staring at me like that the entire time I was there and didn't stop until I had walked out the door.

I guess he didn't want the $2300 cash in my pocket. It's unlikely I'll return.

Welcome to Shooter's Paradise?

javabum
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
heck i'll take the 2,300...i'll even give you a sexy stare if that's what it takes.:kiss:

God Bless The Mauser
08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm 19 and I've never had any trouble with that at gun shops, in fact the only time I was asked for ID was last time I was at Big 5.

Phireglass
08-12-2009, 1:55 PM
i never really had any problem with the reputable shops in town, i went in wearing some skate T, think it was DGK (dirtyGhettoKids- skateboard company) and received great service, i can tell you the guy definitely didnt expect me to pull out 14 hundo and buy a new M&P15, btw im 19 and look probably 17

Lancear15
08-12-2009, 2:02 PM
It's not your age, gun store workers are notorious for bad manners and elitism.

sspen003
08-12-2009, 8:14 PM
Never had a problem but never asked any stupid questions either. I think someones demeanor is a pretty good judge of initial character and knowledge. If you know your stuff your better than 99% of gun store customers.

Meety Peety
08-14-2009, 4:52 PM
I've never had a problem with this directly, but I've seen it happen to people around me. I'm more of a "straight laced" yes sir no sir type of person, which probably helps. I don't wear baggy clothes or wear sideways hats etc. I've always found that if you treat someone with respect right off the bat, they will usually return the gesture, though every once in a while you do come accross an ahole like "Zirconjohn". Theres one shop in particular here in San Diego that is run by a guy with a similar attitude. On several occasions I've seen him ignore customers that weren't "Up to his standards". On one visit, I had met a friend there before going to the range. My friend had been standing at the counter for upwards of 15 minutes while the owner (The only employee) talked to another customer about random current events, just BSing and passing time as if no one else was there. By the time I got there, I browsed around for 3-5 minutes then headed up to the counter to meet my friend. Instantly, the owner came over to me and asked if I needed help. My friend then politely told him that he had been waiting for 15+ minutes to be helped and walked out of the store. Neither of us have been back since.

With places like this, apearance really does matter.. but not in the sence that you should change the way you look before going in. There are plenty of other stores, and from my experience, the smaller "One man shops" tend to be the ones with poor service.. which means you probably aren't missing out on much by going to another place to do business. These places fail soon enough anyway, no one wants to deal with an ahole.. even if its not directed at themselves. I am a perfect example of why shop owners need to make it a point to treat everyone with respect and polite service - he lost my business as well as several others who I've spoken to, that were otherwise valued customers.

Theres even a few people here on Calguns that act this way in the For Sale section. One guy in particular has had the same batch of ammo for sale for weeks (And at decent prices too). I can almost guarantee that his disclaimer that basically says "If you look young or if you look like a gang banger, I'm going to drive right past you and leave you waiting for an hour until you've wasted enough time and leave" has something to do with it. Who the F wants to deal with this guy? No one lol.. thats why his ammo never sells. I can almost guarantee he would have no problem with my apearance.. but he won't see a penny of mine.

stix213
09-04-2009, 1:21 PM

Take OFF the sunglasses!

Wow, I'm old enough to have few problems at gun stores, and I don't dress or act in any way like you are peeved about, but remind me to never shop in your store out of principle.

Anyone who would even think of turning away a customer over a hat fashion statement has clearly lost all concept of the relationship they should be having with their customer. If you think your place is doing so great that you can treat your customers like crap just because you are so out of touch you don't even understand the way young people dress anymore, then I hope you go out of business.

And BTW, red, blue, gold, black, grey, and white are colors used by the large gangs you should be familiar with, with smaller local gangs often picking various other colors. Good luck letting any customers in with your no gang color moronic policy, cause there isn't a single color that isn't claimed by a gang. So since you don't let any gang colors in, I'm assuming all your customers shop in the nude, right?

What I want is to not support completely disrespectful and ignorant shop owners on a power trip, so yeah that means I'm not shopping at your place. I really don't care that you would be fine with how I dress with my button up shirt after getting off work from my tech job, I would be completely disgusted with you if I saw you treat another customer the way you just proudly stated you would.

WOW, just wow. Whatever happened to customer service... You act like you are owed your business, plus you come off as a total racist seeing that the sideways hat, the baggy pants, and pretty much anything fashion related you complained about are urban African American styles whether they are gang affiliated or not (white kids wear that stuff too, but it is a rap/hip hop music culture thing). Why not just put a big 'whites only, and if you ARE white you sure as hell better dress like it' sign up so that your policies are clear?

Good luck to your anti-customer racist gun shop you got going up there... seriously, I wish you would reread your post and understand why the entire thing is so F'd up. I know your post is old, but it made sick enough reading it that I had to respond.

PRKArms
09-04-2009, 2:56 PM
The only color that matters is green... (and gold, and platinum)

anyone who thinks differently won't be successful in business.

bubbapug1
09-04-2009, 6:50 PM
I'm 19 and I've never had any trouble with that at gun shops, in fact the only time I was asked for ID was last time I was at Big 5.

Heck, I am 53 and they asked me for a ID than refused to dros a SKS they had on the shelf..

JustGone
09-05-2009, 10:01 PM
It's not your age, gun store workers are notorious for bad manners and elitism.

Not here in Indiana! They all LOVE the business customers bring in. Every shop I have been in I have been treated with respect and kindness, and they all were eager to answer any questions I had. I'm 19 as well :)

forgiven
09-07-2009, 4:51 AM
Respect seems to gradually be earned with age.

resident-shooter
09-08-2009, 9:38 AM
Well, I only bought 1 gun so far and I am 20. So I called around to find the rifle I wanted, and only 2 Big5 stores had them. I went to the closest 1, and took my father (life long hunter, now retired) as an advisor. The guy at the counter and the manager were very helpful and let me check out a few rifles before I bought the one I wanted in the first place. After I was done paying for the rifle, I told them that I am looking to buy a shotgun for home defense in near future. So they gave me a short tour into the world of shotguns and gave a few recommendations. So, I dono..... :scooter:

Trench Broom
09-09-2009, 4:13 AM
One of my brother's friends had a younger brother who went down to a dealership a number of years ago to pick up a new truck. He was about 25 at the time, I believe, but he looked to be around 16. Also, when he arrived on the lot, he had just come from baseball practice, so he was still in his full uniform, cleats and all! Anyway, after a while, the dealer came up to him and asked if he needed any help. The guy turns to the dealer, indicates the new truck he's been checking out, and says, "I'll take it." The dealer looks back ( probobly doing a double-take, or some such ) and says, "Go home and bring your father back with you, and then we'll talk." Well, this guy reaches into his pocket, pulls out his drivers licencse, shows it to the dealer, then pulls out a huge wad of $100.00 bills, holds it right in front of the other man's face and says, "F@#k you. You just lost a sale." What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall that day!

JustGone
09-09-2009, 6:26 PM
Well, I only bought 1 gun so far and I am 20. So I called around to find the rifle I wanted, and only 2 Big5 stores had them. I went to the closest 1, and took my father (life long hunter, now retired) as an advisor. The guy at the counter and the manager were very helpful and let me check out a few rifles before I bought the one I wanted in the first place. After I was done paying for the rifle, I told them that I am looking to buy a shotgun for home defense in near future. So they gave me a short tour into the world of shotguns and gave a few recommendations. So, I dono..... :scooter:

The Big 5 on arden? I bought my first shotgun there, very nice fellas there!

resident-shooter
09-10-2009, 1:33 PM
One of my brother's friends had a younger brother who went down to a dealership a number of years ago to pick up a new truck. He was about 25 at the time, I believe, but he looked to be around 16. Also, when he arrived on the lot, he had just come from baseball practice, so he was still in his full uniform, cleats and all! Anyway, after a while, the dealer came up to him and asked if he needed any help. The guy turns to the dealer, indicates the new truck he's been checking out, and says, "I'll take it." The dealer looks back ( probobly doing a double-take, or some such ) and says, "Go home and bring your father back with you, and then we'll talk." Well, this guy reaches into his pocket, pulls out his drivers licencse, shows it to the dealer, then pulls out a huge wad of $100.00 bills, holds it right in front of the other man's face and says, "F@#k you. You just lost a sale." What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall that day!

HAHHAH I have been there with dealership and cars. I had a budget of 15-20 grand, but dealers doubted me... well, they lost the customer!

The Big 5 on arden? I bought my first shotgun there, very nice fellas there!

No, I got mine from the one in Davis. Very friendly and helpful people there, unlike River City gun exchange where I went yesterday...... :rolleyes:

Lancear15
09-10-2009, 3:21 PM
After work a couple of days ago I went to the grocery store to buy some beer and a steak to grill. When I got home the steak wasn't in the bag. But, the receipt showed they charged me. After 3 hours of commuting and 10 hours working I sure as hell wasn't going back to the store.

The next day I went back with my receipt to buy more beer and another steak. I wanted the price of the steak I didn't get taken off my bill. Since I work construction I was dressed in drabby clothes and unshaven for a few days.

They called the manager over, she gives me the 3rd degree and looks at at me like I am some kind of horrible, lying, scum bag. They finally give my the refund and don't even come close to apologizing. I was so temped to come back in with my paycheck stub showing I've already made over 140K this year and yell at her "Don't judge a book by its cover B!T@# !!!"

mlatino
09-11-2009, 4:47 AM
After work a couple of days ago I went to the grocery store to buy some beer and a steak to grill. When I got home the steak wasn't in the bag. But, the receipt showed they charged me. After 3 hours of commuting and 10 hours working I sure as hell wasn't going back to the store.

The next day I went back with my receipt to buy more beer and another steak. I wanted the price of the steak I didn't get taken off my bill. Since I work construction I was dressed in drabby clothes and unshaven for a few days.

They called the manager over, she gives me the 3rd degree and looks at at me like I am some kind of horrible, lying, scum bag. They finally give my the refund and don't even come close to apologizing. I was so temped to come back in with my paycheck stub showing I've already made over 140K this year and yell at her "Don't judge a book by its cover B!T@# !!!"

I must be in the wrong business.. I know lots of people in construction and they're all laid off / looking for work. How do you manage to do so well in construction in today's economy?

FS00008
09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
HAHHAH I have been there with dealership and cars. I had a budget of 15-20 grand, but dealers doubted me... well, they lost the customer!

No, I got mine from the one in Davis. Very friendly and helpful people there, unlike River City gun exchange where I went yesterday...... :rolleyes:

Sounds like when I went to buy my truck wehn I had it Valeriy...

Btw... one more day on that 11 day hell :-)

Meety Peety
09-11-2009, 4:32 PM
I was so temped to come back in with my paycheck stub showing I've already made over 140K this year and yell at her "Don't judge a book by its cover B!T@# !!!"

Lol feild worker making over 140k? I'm pretty sure just about everyone in the industry just called BS on that one. Most GF/PMs don't even pull in over 120k.. and to see them "in drabby clothes and unshaven" would be pretty laughable.

Curious, what trade and local? Assuming you drive 3 hours, the Per Diem and possible prevailing wage in addition to possible 10% GF pay and working 6 10s.. lets just say it still doesn't add up ;P

Colt-45
11-17-2009, 6:28 PM
Based on my experience here's my take on this.

1. Wear appropriate clothes. Don't go into a gun shop looking like a hood rat, they don't want your business. In this world, unfortunately you are treated based on what you look like. You don't have to go out and buy a new outfit just wear something that's not baggy, gun shops don't want to be associated with gangs. I'm not saying change all of your wore drobe, if you wear baggy clothing just change into something plain when your in a gun shop.

2. Use regular english

3. Be polite

I have had a bad experience with gun shops not dramatic but unpleasant. In all the other gun shops I'm treated like an adult but here in the local gun shop the guy doesn't even want to show me a pistol and that was with my DAD present, I wasn't even allowed to touch it and we had already purchased some ammo so I mean they weren't working for nothing.

In all the other places they show me what ever I want :) . We go to our local gun shop because all the other gun shops are at least 45 mins away. I live in the country side.

Oh yea and just a heads up, don't go into a gun shop and say I'm just looking they don't like that. We said that and were asked about 5 times in 5 minutes if we needed any help and it wasnt in a very polite way.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-17-2009, 10:54 PM
ah wanna know if im alone on dis here one. otay who hates when peeps treat us like crap cuz we's iz younger an' iz into guns? otay cuz everytime ah jet ta uh gat shop da peeps dont even wanna he`p me cuz im not 60 or sumfin

wboughton
11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
ah wanna know if im alone on dis here one. otay who hates when peeps treat us like crap cuz we's iz younger an' iz into guns? otay cuz everytime ah jet ta uh gat shop da peeps dont even wanna he`p me cuz im not 60 or sumfin

I'm 19 and I can't even decipher that.

Someone who talks like that and expects to be taken seriously has a serious ***** slapping lined up for them.

luckystrike
11-18-2009, 5:56 PM

hes joking......

J20DB
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
This kind of treatment is why I won't go back to the Stockade; I even had a salesman ask the older guy standing right next to me if he needed help, and when he said no, the salesman didn't even look at me; he just walked away... their other store, Fowlers, has been better for me, but far from great. The best service I've gotten was at Grant's, followed closely by Ade's. FWIW, I'm 21 and don't dress like a punk, but I can see how I might look 18-19.

wboughton
11-19-2009, 6:39 PM
hes joking......

I know, he's got a pretty respectable reputation. The sad thing is I DO know kids my age and younger that are like that, and I already feel bad for the upcoming generations that will follow me. Haha

glockwise2000
11-20-2009, 8:16 PM
This is where you distinguish a stupid shop who judges you by looks alone. Me and my brother look young because we are asian and I believe this is how we would look for a few more years. So screw that shop and bring that cold cash somewhere else.