PDA

View Full Version : threaded barrel on an ar pistol question.

pacrimguru
12-15-2008, 11:01 PM
i'm in the midst of planning an ar pistol build when it just occurred to me that the 7.5" barrel i want to get has non-permanent flash hider. is this okay? or do i need to get the flash hider permanently pinned or welded?

Hanniballs
12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
features dont matter with a non detachable magazine.

pacrimguru
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
...even on a pistol? is an ar pistol considered a pistol or a rifle? it is my understanding that it is considered a pistol and pistols cannot have threaded barrels in california. i hope i'm wrong about it being considered a pistol though.

ke6guj
12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
An AR pistol is a pistol. If it doesn't have a detachable magazine, then it can have a threaded barrel.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

acheron800
12-15-2008, 11:22 PM
An AR pistol is a pistol. If it doesn't have a detachable magazine, then it can have a threaded barrel.

Edited for bad info...

ke6guj
12-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Wrong...

I am 99.99999% positive, a threaded barrel will make it an "assault pistol".
OK, show me the PC where a threaded barrel on a pistol other than a semi-auto detachable-mag'ed pistol is illegal.

heck, open up the pdf of the entire dwcl (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/dwc.pdf) and do a search for thread, it appears one time in the PC, in the PC section I posted above.

Hanniballs
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Wrong...

wrong.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

pacrimguru
12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
thanks for the info guys!

acheron800
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
hmm, for some reason, I thought I had read somewhere that threaded barrels were a no-no...

excuse the ignorance.

Hanniballs
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
hmm, for some reason, I thought I had read somewhere that threaded barrels were a no-no...

excuse the ignorance.

threaded barrels on handguns with detachable mags are bad juju.. A fixed mag pistol doesn't have to worry about features, works the same way with out rifles.

acheron800
12-15-2008, 11:35 PM
threaded barrels on handguns with detachable mags are bad juju.. A fixed mag pistol doesn't have to worry about features.

I think I was thinking of forward grip. sorry.

Either way, ar pistols are sweet. And alot more accurate than one may think.

Hanniballs
12-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I think I was thinking of forward grip. sorry.

Either way, ar pistols are sweet. And alot more accurate than one may think.

forward grips are legal.. that is of course if you pay the NFA fairy.

I like the PLR-16 more so than the AR pistols.. just don't like that buffer tube..

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/images/plr16accessories.jpg

sexy..

ke6guj
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I think I was thinking of forward grip. sorry.and forward grips on pistols can be legally obtained as well. A VFG is legal in CA on a semi-auto pistol that has a fixed mag or any non-semi-auto handgun. It just takes a cool NFA tax stamp to make that legal federally.

edit: too slow :D

Frijolito1988
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Wrong...

dont spread FUD

A threaded barrel is OK since its gonna have a locked magazine and 10 rounder . A threaded barrel would only matter in a pistol with capasity to accept magazines through the magwell, Say per say one of those mac10 clones. You can have detachable magazines in those if it does not have a threaded barrel, if it does have a threaded barrel that is considerd an evil feature and will need to have a magzine lock