PDA

View Full Version : How do I make an AR-10 less tough on brass?

Solidsnake87
12-15-2008, 11:56 PM
How do I make an AR-10 less tough on brass? I was thinking of clipping the extractor spring like I have on my ARs. What else can be done??? Obviously I reload, so I want to make the best use of my brass.

C.G.
12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Stick the soft part of a Velcro strip on your deflector, works like a charm and they do have Velcro in black.

randy
12-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Send your upper to Randall and have him install an adjustable gas block. You can reduce the violence in the bolt movement.

FMJBT
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Is your brass getting damaged by the extractor, or from hitting the side of the receiver on the way out?

I've noticed that on my AR-10 that the extractor begins chewing up the edges of the case rim more with heavier bullets. With 147 and 150 gr bullets the brass comes out looking almost perfect. With 168 and 175 gr loads though, it looks like the bolt is trying to extract while the chamber pressure is still too high. Lots of powder residue on the case, and the extractor leaves a large notch on the rim. In my case at least, I'm thinking that the rifle is just over gassed with the heavier rounds. An adjustable gas block is on my short list of upgrades for this gun in the near future. Either that, or hacking off a few inches of barrel length....

Solidsnake87
12-17-2008, 1:04 AM
I have not fired it yet. It needs an optic. I'm just doing mods for the gun to be easier on brass. I applied velcro to the deflector and clipped the extractor spring so brass forms a neat pile near the gun in a very gentle manner.

When I shoot out its current barrel, I'll have a new SS barrel installed with an adjustable gas block that is set further forward to minimize gass pressures.

The extractor puts little nicks on the rims of the brass. Thats all I've noticed after my mods. I tested an empty piece of brass before mods and it dinged the rim up pretty nicely and partially collapsed case necks. Now all I have are gentle nicks on the rim.

ar15barrels
01-05-2009, 9:05 PM
I have not fired it yet.

The extractor puts little nicks on the rims of the brass. Thats all I've noticed after my mods. I tested an empty piece of brass before mods and it dinged the rim up pretty nicely and partially collapsed case necks. Now all I have are gentle nicks on the rim.

If you have not fired it yet, are you hand cycling it to determine all this?
Go shoot the gun already.
You don't know what it's really going to do until you OBSERVE what it's doing.
It won't suprise me if you have clipped too much off the ejector spring already.
Gas guns simply beat up brass.
Don't like that? Shoot a bolt gun.

ocabj
01-05-2009, 9:17 PM
I seriously question trimming the ejector spring when it hasn't even been live fired, yet. There's no way you're going to eliminate extractor marks on the rims of brass in an autoloader short of disabling the gas system altogether.

Use good brass like Lake City or Lapua. Winchester, Remington, and Federal have rims that won't hold up very long in an autoloader. And if you decide to use less durable commercial brass (with regards to rims), the stuff is cheap enough that even if you only get 5 usable reloads out of them, the effective cost per round for the brass was more than good enough.

Pthfndr
01-05-2009, 9:40 PM
I have not fired it yet. .............................and clipped the extractor spring so brass forms a neat pile near the gun in a very gentle manner.

Do you mean you clipped the EXTRACTOR spring, or you clipped the EJECTOR spring.

They are 2 different things and it's the EJECTOR spring that throws the brass hard. NOT the EXTRACTOR spring.

ar15barrels
01-05-2009, 9:42 PM
Do you mean you clipped the EXTRACTOR spring, or you clipped the EJECTOR spring.

They are 2 different things and it's the EJECTOR spring that throws the brass hard. NOT the EXTRACTOR spring.

Clipping the extractor spring will definetly cause extraction problems without an adjustable gas block.
If you are going to clip any spring, it's the ejector spring you clip.
That's to reduce the distance the brass flies and it will also reduce the flat spot on the case mouth.
Another thing that can be done is to angle the face of the ejector.

Solidsnake87
01-05-2009, 9:45 PM
Wow, this is an old thread resurrected. It was the ejector spring I clipped after some advice from lane. When ejected by hand, the brass forms a nice neat pile 4 inches away from the gun. A small dimple is left on the rim. Velco has been glued to the deflector and the bottom of the carrier and magwell lips have been filed to a smooth contour. Will make a nice shooter when I get an optic on it.

ocabj
01-05-2009, 9:50 PM
The velcro on the receiver deflector isn't going to do much for you short of placing the brass close to you upon ejection.

The ejector coil trimming will do the same. The fact that there's all this pressure going back on the bolt to get it to cycle is what will be creating the wear on the rims. There's nothing you can really do to prevent this wear. It's going to happen. Will it be less over time with your mods? I doubt it. Again, I think the only way your going to effectively minimize the wear on the rims is to disable the gas system.

How many times do you expect to be able to reload the brass? I shoot Lake City in my SR loads and I get 9-10 reloads easily and the rims aren't worn to the point that they're unusable.

Solidsnake87
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know what to expect on my .308s. All the mods I did were performed after a lot of advice from a very accomlished HP shooter. He does all this stuff and gets about 16-20 reloads (for ARs) out of the brass before retiring it. I dunno if it works significantly or not but if it works for him it will work for me. lol.

FMJBT
01-05-2009, 11:53 PM
If the brass ends up getting chewed up during live fire from over gassing, you could try lighter weight bullets like the Lapua 150 Scenars. Without having actually fired it yet, everything at this point is just conjecture though. Get that sucker out to the range, even if you have to throw one of these on there temporarily :D:
http://www.eseeauction.com/airsoft/AS669.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/4x20-20mm-Airsoft-AEG-Mil-Dot-Crosshair-Rifle-Gun-Scope_W0QQitemZ330298143753QQihZ014QQcategoryZ383Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:thumbsup:

C.G.
01-06-2009, 12:50 AM
The velcro on the receiver deflector isn't going to do much for you short of placing the brass close to you upon ejection.

It prevented the cosmetic dings in my case.

Blacktail 8541
01-06-2009, 7:44 AM
Go shoot it already.