PDA

View Full Version : I know..I know...i'm askin for it!

alleyehave
12-15-2008, 5:48 PM
Being a fireman, i'm typically not too scared of flame, but I am scared to s**t from what your guys' reaction might be when I ask....dun dun dun:

Who here has used a clone aimpoint 3x magnifier? Results? Waste of money? I'd even like to mount it onto a *gasp* larue mount!!! *Braces for impact*...

I know it's lame, but I just bought an ml3 with cantilever mount with the anticipation of putting a magnifier on it, and after already spending nearly $2500 towards this AR in the last month and a half, I simply cannot justify spending another $600 during xmas...the real deal can come later.

Also, if you have used one, or *cough cough* have a FRIEND that has used one, where'd he get it? Results?

May God have pity on my soul.

Saigon1965
12-15-2008, 5:54 PM
Just get one and play with it and call it a day -

SuperSet
12-15-2008, 5:58 PM
I used one for a bit, from DragonRedAirsoft, and it worked out all right. Like you, I threw it on the excellent LaRue AimPoint magnifier pivot mount and it fit like a charm. The Chinese mount that it arrives with the box is a waste of time.. total crap. Also, some things didn't work well on the magnifier like the screws that enable you to align the magnifier with the red dot. Also, when I compared it to the authentic AimPoint magnifier, the glass wasn't as clear and I could notice some distortion at the edges.
Having said all that, I can't say I blame you for seeking a cheaper alternative as the Authentic magnifier pricing is not priced competitively.
Hope this helps.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-15-2008, 6:00 PM
Wait until you have the money to buy the real deal. Do not waste your money on crap optics just so it looks legit.

Vinz
12-15-2008, 6:03 PM
my bad sorry....there was a thread on ar15.com about it. can't find it right now but it was sketchy.

I guess your the new tester guy. found this here.... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=97770&highlight=magnifyer

vinz

SuperSet
12-15-2008, 6:05 PM
Fellas, he's talking about the magnifier, not the RDS.

Saigon1965
12-15-2008, 6:07 PM
Exactly -

Fellas, he's talking about the magnifier, not the RDS.

pl408
12-15-2008, 6:13 PM
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+and+Mount+Combos%3AP o+Boy+Special

check this out

dchang0
12-15-2008, 6:20 PM
I second the Larue Po Boy Special--get that sucker and enjoy it, then upgrade the magnifier and keep the mount when you have the cash.

alleyehave
12-15-2008, 6:31 PM
lol, now if im gonna spend $200 I might as wait a little longer and spend $600..but seems like a good idea

Although, granted the optics wont be as clear, its simply a 3x monocular scope, i'm still tempted to try a 60$ clone and push my luck...any input from those with experience? that will actually come forward??? haha

USMC Tanker
12-15-2008, 6:34 PM
I never go cheap with any of my gear, parts, or accessories.

Buy cheap, you buy twice. Money spent now on a cheapo clone is money wasted since you're already planning on getting the real deal anyways. Just hold out.

mvpatriot
12-15-2008, 6:35 PM
no flameage here, but if it was me I would have bought the real deal optics/magnifier before the crazy expensive mount.

Ducman
12-15-2008, 6:43 PM
I would just hold out, you're basically spending more in the end. get the real deal.

aplinker
12-15-2008, 6:44 PM
lol, now if im gonna spend $200 I might as wait a little longer and spend $600..but seems like a good idea

Although, granted the optics wont be as clear, its simply a 3x monocular scope, i'm still tempted to try a 60$ clone and push my luck...any input from those with experience? that will actually come forward??? haha

I bought one. Worked fine. Relief is better than the Hensholdt on the Po Boy.

It fogged up on me about a year after I bought it. I rebuilt it myself with better gaskets and backfilled with nitrogen (one of the perks of where I work). It doesn't leak anymore.

It also has some light "seepage" - as in reflections from the interior. I was going to try to fix this, too, but gave up.

I wouldn't sweat trying it out or saying it's OK.

I own a real one, too. In comparison, it's not too bad optically. It's the durability that's the big difference.

dchang0
12-15-2008, 6:44 PM

Well, I was in the same boat as you and considered the cheapo Chinese clones. They seemed too flimsy and cheap for me, so I bought the real-deal Eotech 3X FTS magnifier instead. It is obvious how much better the included quick-detach+flip-to-side mount and glass are.

Granted, there appears to be a wide range of differing quality amongst the cheapo clones, so if you hunt enough, you might find a passable imitation of the real deal for a great price.

The Po Boy Special is good enough to keep, so you might save yourself the $400 difference if you never step up to a real-deal magnifier.

stag6.8
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
If you want the real aimpoint 3x magnifier at a really good price go to www.smartgunner.com 419 dollars with free shipping. then get the mount after christmas. get the magnifier now if you can

radioburning
12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
You could also go to an airsoft store and ask to look at what they have in stock. They might also be able to point you away from certain ones.

rkt88edmo
12-16-2008, 1:03 PM
The Larue might jump off and punch you in the eye. :43:

Its your money but if it were me I would save and buy the real thing.

alpalwal
12-16-2008, 2:29 PM
I don't know what the real ones are like but I have a clone and the eye relief sucks on it.

socomIInato
12-16-2008, 2:48 PM
accept no compromise, use your credit card! a cheap magnifier is exactly that! cheap. shame on you!

BlackDrop50
12-16-2008, 7:11 PM
I got the Larue PoBoy special. Works pretty good. You said you already had a mount so you probably don't need the whole package. Since you want to be really cheap, buy the $15 hensoldt magnifier from cheaper than dirt, and mount it in your Larue. Only difference is it's not repurged, and it has the tank range markings and rubber eyepiece.

devildog999
12-17-2008, 4:11 PM
Being a fireman, i'm typically not too scared of flame, but I am scared to s**t from what your guys' reaction might be when I ask....dun dun dun:

Who here has used a clone aimpoint 3x magnifier? Results? Waste of money? I'd even like to mount it onto a *gasp* larue mount!!! *Braces for impact*...

I know it's lame, but I just bought an ml3 with cantilever mount with the anticipation of putting a magnifier on it, and after already spending nearly $2500 towards this AR in the last month and a half, I simply cannot justify spending another $600 during xmas...the real deal can come later.

Also, if you have used one, or *cough cough* have a FRIEND that has used one, where'd he get it? Results?

May God have pity on my soul.

No worries ;) To each his own

hawk1
12-17-2008, 5:04 PM
After all that work...:rolleyes:

It's like putting a set of hubcaps on a Rolls Royce.

Why cheap out now?

alleyehave
12-17-2008, 5:44 PM
If you want the real aimpoint 3x magnifier at a really good price go to www.smartgunner.com 419 dollars with free shipping. then get the mount after christmas. get the magnifier now if you can

Pretty cheap prices on smartgunner, are they legit?

jaymz
12-17-2008, 7:27 PM
After all that work...:rolleyes:

It's like putting a set of hubcaps on a Rolls Royce.

Why cheap out now?

Kinda like these (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=rolls+royce+hubcaps&_sacat=See-All-Categories)?:D

stag6.8
12-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Pretty cheap prices on smartgunner, are they legit?

yes they are I ordered my aimpoint ml3 scope.... 3x magnifier ......and harris bipod from them .....they are legit with free shipping:)