PDA

View Full Version : Lowers---Local or Online??

bobbyblank
12-15-2008, 4:14 PM
I have been looking to start an AR project and i was wondering with all the raised prices, taxes, shipping, FFL and DROS fees, is it worth buying a lower online and shipping it here or purchaseing one from a local store? Im in sacramento and i dont know who is carrying lowers around here or how much they are going for. I know there is a list floating around these forums of local dealers, but what are lowers going for in local gun stores compared to online prices right now? Been looking at doublestar and stag lowers, but the lowest i have seen online is $119, and there are no backorders anyway.

Bobby

drewg13
12-15-2008, 4:21 PM
If buying online, don't forget to add in all the fees. Lower + shipping + DROS + FFL transfer fee. It would be cheaper to go local as transfer fees alone would be at least $50. If no local dealers have any in stock and you must have it now then you know what they say. "Gotta pay to play." :D Another option would be to keep your eyes on the for sale section here. Seems there are many lowers on sale now.

Breadfan
12-15-2008, 4:24 PM
If you can find one at a local store I would buy it most of the stores have them on backorder and have a wating list a mile long i fond one store that has a few but they are way over priced

Spyder
12-15-2008, 5:55 PM
Where are you at? If near Sac or Chico, I've got a guy that's going to have billet lowers in stock here in another week or so for $239. Not a horrible deal, all things considered.

dchang0
12-15-2008, 6:24 PM
Prior to the election buying frenzy, it was easy to beat local retail prices (retail + sales tax + DROS) with online, out-of-state prices (online price + shipping + DROS + FFL transfer fee), especially if you were buying multiple stripped lowers at once (to combine shipping and FFL transfer fees).

After the election, everyone's prices appear to be around the same, higher level, so local retail may be cheaper (since sales tax usually is less than FFL + shipping).

Personally, I'd still rather pay extra to buy out-of-state just so Calif. doesn't get the sales tax dollars to fund their efforts to further restrict our freedoms. The less we feed the Leviathan that calls itself our government, the better.

tenpercentfirearms
12-15-2008, 6:47 PM
Personally, I'd still rather pay extra to buy out-of-state just so Calif. doesn't get the sales tax dollars to fund their efforts to further restrict our freedoms. The less we feed the Leviathan that calls itself our government, the better.Nothing like admitting online that you are skipping out on your use tax at the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Support those that support you, buy local when you can. It shouldn't cost you twice the amount to buy local, but if it is close, get it where you know you will keep a gun dealer in California in business.

dchang0
12-15-2008, 9:55 PM
Tee hee--note the careful use of the word "rather" in my statement, which is by no means an admission of anything, just an indication of personal opinion and preference...