PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun in a cab

Dark&Good
12-15-2008, 1:26 PM
Hi,
I'm about to go and pick up my new shotgun from the shop. I don't drive, so I'll get a cab to bring it home. According to what I know, it's ok (I'll place the gun in the trunk in front of the shop).
1. Do you know something that would make this illegal?
2. Can I expect the cab driver to be cool about this?

GMONEY
12-15-2008, 1:32 PM
Have the cabbie just take you to another city alltogether...

bwiese
12-15-2008, 1:33 PM
Be prepared in case cabbie from Cab Company #1 refuses. Call another company.

Perhaps the box should be in a plain brown wrapper.

Perhaps ask to be picked up from a building next to the gunshop - perhaps a UPS Store would offer good cover.

Dark&Good
12-15-2008, 1:38 PM
You know, I would prefer to keep it simple, so if it's legal, I'd take a stand for my rights - I don't do anything that I need to hide about.
So it seems that I MAY have some objections from the cab driver... good to know. It's totally legal, though - is that right?

DDT
12-15-2008, 1:45 PM
Might be legal but I'm not sure if the cabbie can be compelled to transport it. I know they are a public conveyance but I don't know what the rules are regarding this.

Vinz
12-15-2008, 1:48 PM
I don't think you have to worry about standing up for your rights, its all about not freaking out the driver and the local public.
I don't know what I would think seeing a guy with a shot gun in his hands getting into a cab.

When the cabbie gets there, go out without the long rifle, ask him if it is ok, wrap it in a towel and put it in the trunk. Although you can put it besides you but why ask for attention. I don't think it will be a problem...but you are in the city. So rest assured no one else has guns around you.

vinz

Dark&Good
12-15-2008, 1:51 PM
So the cab company's policies may contain something against this... ok. I'll let you know how it went.

bohoki
12-15-2008, 1:53 PM
keep it concealed and tell him to be careful with your telescope

Dark&Good
12-15-2008, 1:57 PM
:D :D

DDT
12-15-2008, 1:58 PM
There you go. Get a black magic marker and write "Fender" on the box.

Dark&Good
12-15-2008, 6:19 PM
I'm back with the baby... I actually almost took a roll of fancy Christmas paper with me :D
Everything went very well. The cab driver stopped right in front of the shop, I stepped out, pointed at the trunk, he opened it, I dumped the carton box in the trunk, then got in the cab. He was cracking up while he asked: did I buy a gun? I said yes. We had a fun conversation on our way, he would also like to go hunting, etc... I'll post some pics now, check my "Big Day tomorrow" thread if you're interested.
Thanks for your help.

Vinz
12-16-2008, 8:03 PM
...so did you run then jump in and tell him to step on it? Thats always fun.

vinz

WokMaster1
12-16-2008, 8:10 PM
I'm back with the baby... I actually almost took a roll of fancy Christmas paper with me :D
Everything went very well. The cab driver stopped right in front of the shop, I stepped out, pointed at the trunk, he opened it, I dumped the carton box in the trunk, then got in the cab. He was cracking up while he asked: did I buy a gun? I said yes. We had a fun conversation on our way, he would also like to go hunting, etc... I'll post some pics now, check my "Big Day tomorrow" thread if you're interested.
Thanks for your help.

See, not all who live in SF are crazy.:D

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 8:12 PM
...so did you run then jump in and tell him to step on it? Thats always fun.

vinz

Haha, no... I kept it calm :D

B.D.Dubloon
12-16-2008, 8:20 PM
"You know, I would prefer to keep it simple, so if it's legal, I'd take a stand for my rights"

Especially in Kali, and especially regarding guns, this is a completely contradictory statement. ;)

BDD

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 8:28 PM
I did keep it simple, it was legal... I wish nobody would let "authorities" take an inch of their freedoms and rights.
It really sounds contradictory, but I'm an idealist besides everything else ;)
It worked out nicely, and that's good.