PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Shotgun magazine capacity limit?

prebans
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd like to offer AGP Saiga-12 10-round magazines to CA residents. However, I've been told that CA restricts shotgun magazines to 5 rounds or less.

Am I legally allowed to offer these 10-round shotgun detachable mags into CA?

Wanting to send CA folks product but needing to stay legal,

Mike

thedrickel
12-15-2008, 11:58 AM
There is no shotgun capacity limit besides the 10+ round mag ban. Plenty of people have and use AGP 10-round S-12 mags. It is even legal for people to use 20rd drums in S-12's if they have them.

prebans
12-15-2008, 1:32 PM
There is no shotgun capacity limit besides the 10+ round mag ban. Plenty of people have and use AGP 10-round S-12 mags. It is even legal for people to use 20rd drums in S-12's if they have them.

Thank you!

What's the scoop on the 20 round drums? Do they have to get blocked to 10 or something?

Mike

AJAX22
12-15-2008, 1:41 PM
Thank you!

What's the scoop on the 20 round drums? Do they have to get blocked to 10 or something?

Mike

No, they can be full capacity drums... importation is simply restricted to the properly licenced.

If a law enforcement officer wants one he can buy one.

other people have to buy one from an armored car company or an FFL.

If you just want a parts kit to use when you are out of state, anyone can buy those from anyone else.

rayra
12-15-2008, 4:10 PM
I'd like to offer AGP Saiga-12 10-round magazines to CA residents. However, I've been told that CA restricts shotgun magazines to 5 rounds or less.

Am I legally allowed to offer these 10-round shotgun detachable mags into CA?

Wanting to send CA folks product but needing to stay legal,

Mike

That would be a huge surprise to Big 5 Sporting goods who had a nice sale on Mossberg 590A1 shotguns a couple weeks ago.

prebans
12-15-2008, 5:58 PM
That would be a huge surprise to Big 5 Sporting goods who had a nice sale on Mossberg 590A1 shotguns a couple weeks ago.

That's why I'm asking here first instead of making assumptions. :)

Mike

tombinghamthegreat
12-15-2008, 6:20 PM

IIRC Big 5 only sells Mossberg 590, not the A1 models.

rayra
12-15-2008, 7:34 PM
well you better run up the 23 to the Simi Big5 because I'm pretty sure what I saw there the weekend of the Costa Mesa show had a bayonet lug.
But irregardless ;) it's an 8-shot mag either way, which was my point.

eta - sweet, they've got the 'security' variant on sale now for $100 off, only $250, which is a damned fine deal.

EBR Works
12-15-2008, 8:30 PM
It's a regular 590 with a bayonet lug, not a 590A1. I just took delivery of one.

edward
12-15-2008, 9:50 PM
No, they can be full capacity drums... importation is simply restricted to the properly licenced.

If a law enforcement officer wants one he can buy one.

other people have to buy one from an armored car company or an FFL.If you just want a parts kit to use when you are out of state, anyone can buy those from anyone else.

Huh?

Did you just say that 'other people' (I take that to mean normal people) can buy 20 rd. saiga drums from FFL's that have them in stock? How? What makes them different from normal hi caps for rifles or pistols?

ohsmily
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Huh?

Did you just say that 'other people' (I take that to mean normal people) can buy 20 rd. saiga drums from FFL's that have them in stock? How? What makes them different from normal hi caps for rifles or pistols?

I wouldn't do it, BUT, technically, there is NOTHING in the law that says it is illegal to BUY a high capacity magazine that is in the state. The seller would be committing a crime by SELLING it to you. Like I said, I wouldn't do it. Too many issues that could arise. I don't want to be a party to a criminal act. However, there is an exception for armored car companies. Again, it is a little fuzzy, but I believe that there are several Calguns members working on this and might actually start an armored car business to sell magazines.