PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Superior Arms AR lowers

Capita159
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM
At 85bucks, that is cheap but is it cheap, in quality that is?

Anyone know anything about them beside the fact that they are made with SunDevil lowers?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Superior_Arms_S-15_AR15_.223_Receiver.html

You figure, $85+$10shipping+$40Transfer at Entreprise&+$35DROS is cheaper than buying a strip lower from any OLL friendly CA store....right? Thats $170. out the door.

AlliedArmory
12-15-2008, 1:18 AM
OOS anyways. dont know about the quality

Air
12-15-2008, 3:25 AM
I have one, it's fine.

ccmano
12-15-2008, 4:24 AM
Just bought one myself. I'm in the process of assembly. (Buy a set of punches for the roll pins, trust me you need them on any AR assembly) Did a bunch of research and found them to be considered good quality. Their website
http://www.superiorarms.com/
claims they are machined from 7075-T6 aluminium forgings to Mil-Spec.
Looks good so far.
:cheers2:

Mississippi
12-15-2008, 8:53 AM
I have had one of their lowers for about two years. Put a lot of rounds through it and it has always been just as good as my noveske. Finish and fit is great. I put a timney trigger in so the set screw was not needed. Great lower.

rod
12-15-2008, 8:59 AM
I built two Superior lowers and they both work perfectly. I used a Stag LPK on one and a Delton LPK on the other and both kits went together just fine. The only drawback is one lower had some uneven engravings.

Gator Monroe
12-15-2008, 9:12 AM
Are they backorderd for 5-10 weeks ??????????????:confused:

megavolt121
12-15-2008, 9:14 AM
I have one and works very well. Thousands of rounds without any issues.

My friend's had a small problem on the fit from one of their initial runs of receivers. We called SA and sent in the lower and had it back in our hands fixed in under a week. EXCELLENT service.

Spyder
12-15-2008, 9:42 AM
(Buy a set of punches for the roll pins, trust me you need them on any AR assembly)

I use a pair of channel locks with a piece of denim to keep from scratching it. Works WAY better than a hammer and punch!!! Just squeeze nice and slow and it'll slip right in the hole!

The SA lowers are great. The finish on the two that I have is SLIGHTLY rougher than my Doublestars or my SLR15's...but not in a bad way. They are plenty durable, the set screw is nice, and the finish just feels 'different', not bad.

Gator Monroe
12-15-2008, 9:57 AM
Just Called and AIM will not ship loweres to Ca. ? Where did you guys source these ???:confused:

rod
12-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Just Called and AIM will not ship loweres to Ca. ? Where did you guys source these ???:confused:

DD's Ranch, but I think he discontinued stocking them sometime back. Check with Dean to be sure.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I have two Superior lowers and they are great. Can't tell the difference between them and the RRA or Noveske. Function well, good fit with DPMS and RRA parts kits. Only problem is that they will no longer ship to CA. Not sure why.

aplinker
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I bought three of them a while ago. Two had issues with their machining. I called & emailed them multiple times to no avail. I just stuck them in the safe, figuring some day I'd just file or machine them out myself.

They're also famous for being considered machineguns by DOJ.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:19 PM
I bought three of them a while ago. Two had issues with their machining. I called & emailed them multiple times to no avail. I just stuck them in the safe, figuring some day I'd just file or machine them out myself.

They're also famous for being considered machineguns by DOJ.

DOJ sucks. It's really amazing how incompetent they can be. Believe me, most LE agencies aren't like that. Problem with DOJ is that they are packed with rolller skate wearing, college attorneys rather than real cops.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:20 PM
Wow!! I just graduated to MEMBER - always wondered how that happend.

Mississippi
12-15-2008, 1:28 PM
So they wont ship to CA? Can you use a middle man? Like freakshow maybe??
I got mine out here no problem. But that was over a year ago. All of their lowers I have seen were great. I used DPMS LPK.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:31 PM
So they wont ship to CA? Can you use a middle man? Like freakshow maybe??
I got mine out here no problem. But that was over a year ago. All of their lowers I have seen were great. I used DPMS LPK.

Yes, i believe you can use a middleman. They got spooked somehow - maybe a call from DOJ? Who knows. They are good receivers though if you can get them. Real good quality - and I have a bunch with different names on them.

megavolt121
12-15-2008, 1:41 PM
Call Terry from SA and he has an FFL that's willing to ship to CA for ~$20/lower

Spyder
12-15-2008, 1:56 PM
Twenty lower than the 85 the OP gave? Crap! I might have to buy eight more!

spdrcr
12-15-2008, 2:13 PM
Twenty lower than the 85 the OP gave? Crap! I might have to buy eight more!

No, that would be an additional $20 per lower to play middle man and ship them in to CA.

vinny_land
12-15-2008, 2:48 PM
I got the last of the Superior Arms lower from DD's Ranch. It still is a work in progress because I'm waiting to acquire the funds to purchase things that I want. Problem is the demand for all this stuff dries up fast once it hits the market. As for the lower, it is better than what I expected and the finish is good. Some of the engravings arent even but from what I have been told, a lower is a lower. Your just paying for engraving markings.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 3:41 PM
These lowers are good, I'm tellin ya!!

Spyder
12-15-2008, 5:49 PM
No, that would be an additional $20 per lower to play middle man and ship them in to CA.

Damnitt, massive brain fart. I re-read it shortly after you posted that and STILL didn't get it. Now, hours later and thinking about beer, it clicked into place. :D