View Full Version : Q: Can you build a rifle out of a pistol registered OLL?

12-14-2008, 8:04 PM
sorry, didn't know which forum this question is better posted at. i was wondering if it was legal to build a rifle (16" bbl w/ buttstock) out of an AR pistol registered OLL?

12-14-2008, 8:06 PM
Yes, you can, but once you turn it into a rifle, you can't go back to a pistol. Obviously, you must comply with rifle AW regs.

You may be better served selling that AR pistol receiver to someone who wants an AR pistol and buying a new OLL.

12-14-2008, 8:25 PM
Was it DROSed as a handgun, or just marked "PISTOL", and DROSed as a long gun? If it is indeed DROSed as a handgun, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to take it off your hands. :)

12-14-2008, 10:06 PM
i have a pistol marked oll that was dros'd as a pistol and want to temporarily turn it into a rifle. the question then is: can i not turn it back into a pistol later on? i'm not re-dros-ing it or transferring it... i just want to change the upper and buffer tube for the time being.

12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
If you turn it into a rifle, you can't ever turn it into a pistol again. ATF says that once you put a stock on it, you've created a rirle. At any point you then go below 16" barrel/ 26" OAL, you've now created an SBR. And if you don't have an NFA tax stamp, bad ju-ju.

If you want a rifle, you should buy another lower and built it up as a rifle, and not destroy the value of a Pistol AR lower.

12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
i see, thanks for the info. it's funny that just swapping back and forth from a pistol buffer tube and upper to a rifle buffer tube and upper is illegal. in either configuration it would be legal for what it is built as with exception of what type it was dros'd under. i just wanted to see if i could change configurations and save myself some money by using the same built lower. but i guess doj won't have that.