PDA

View Full Version : Pay to get in line?

Shiloh13
12-14-2008, 6:37 PM
When upper assemblies are ordered, do you pay up front? Or is it like when you have work done by a gunsmith, where you place the order and pay when it is ready to ship?

Makes a difference as to when one gets in line to order the upper assembly. I have a bonus coming but it would be nice to get in line now.

-Tim

Gryff
12-14-2008, 6:40 PM
I have an order in on a Troy upper. They ran the card to put a hold on the amount (so the credit had to be available), but they won't actually charge the card until it ships.

Trapper
12-14-2008, 7:10 PM
I ordered my M4 upper from RRA on line, recieved an e-mail confirmation and order number but six weeks later my card still hasn't been charged.

rabagley
12-14-2008, 7:47 PM
I bought a .458 SOCOM upper from Marty ter Weeme. He asked for a deposit on order to confirm my place in line and then full payment before the upper was shipped (5 months later. His backlog is currently 12 months).

He was extremely reasonable on the deposit amount. I think that a deposit of 1/4 to 1/3 of the final price is good, up to 1/2 may be reasonable.

jojo760
12-14-2008, 7:50 PM
I think it all depends on who you order from. I have ordered from one place that charges up front, one that does not charge until it is ready to ship, and another who charges a $100 deposit on an upper that is out of stock. Best bet is to ask before you place an order.

wildcard313
12-14-2008, 8:04 PM
I would be careful putting a large deposit down on anything with a long wait. We've run into this time and time again with custom knife makers, stuff happens and alot of people end up SOL. Think about it like this, if there is such a long wait to buy somebodies stuff, why need a deposit? There should be plenty of people willing to buy.

djbooya
12-14-2008, 8:09 PM
I think it all depends on who you order from. I have ordered from one place that charges up front, one that does not charge until it is ready to ship, and another who charges a $100 deposit on an upper that is out of stock. Best bet is to ask before you place an order.

It's actually illegal for US companies at least to charge you the price of the full product until it ships. Authorizations (which check for available credit) or deposits are fine. But they should not be charging you the full amount until they ship the product. If they are charging you up front for the full product and are not shipping it yet they are doing a big no-no... You will also be less protected by your credit card company...say an item is on 12 month back order...they charge you on Jan 1 2009, but you don't expect item until Jan 1 2010, then it never comes and you argue with your credit card company...most CC companies (not all) give you anywhere from 30-90 days.. I don't know of any that will let you dispute past 90+ days... I'd be weary of companies that will charge you up front everything before they ship.. especially in this economy..

as the saying goes...buyer beware...

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:07 PM
It's actually illegal for US companies at least to charge you the price of the full product until it ships. Authorizations (which check for available credit) or deposits are fine. But they should not be charging you the full amount until they ship the product. If they are charging you up front for the full product and are not shipping it yet they are doing a big no-no... You will also be less protected by your credit card company...say an item is on 12 month back order...they charge you on Jan 1 2009, but you don't expect item until Jan 1 2010, then it never comes and you argue with your credit card company...most CC companies (not all) give you anywhere from 30-90 days.. I don't know of any that will let you dispute past 90+ days... I'd be weary of companies that will charge you up front everything before they ship.. especially in this economy..

as the saying goes...buyer beware...

No kidding? I ordered a STAG 3H upper and got charged the full price the same day. Meanwhile, they sent me an email saying it would be 8 to 10 weeks due to backorder. This was snipercountrypx.com. Anyone dealt with them?

vf111
12-15-2008, 1:13 PM
Not an upper but a vendor here wanted to charge my CC right now just to reserve a place in line for a Sig556 Classic which they didn't know when or how many they would get if ever. There was no way I was doing that for a $1700 rifle so I said no thanks.

edit: just saw djbooya's post above. I knew it was shady but didn't know it was illegal. I was willing to make a $200 deposit but they wanted full price so I'm glad I walked.

tmuller
12-15-2008, 1:31 PM

Not entirely true. Companies that make custom products are able to charge upfront because the item is being specially made for that one particular customer and they would be unable to sell the product to anyone else. In general, however I agree.

Casual Observer
12-15-2008, 2:22 PM
We don't charge anything for waiting in line. All we do is check for credit.

However, if you're using a debit card, your bank will make those funds unavailable to you even though the vendor hasn't actually taken it yet.

gunboat
12-15-2008, 2:39 PM
" A fool and his money are soon parted"