PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest AR 15.

.40Cal
12-14-2008, 5:19 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a fully assembled AR - not uppers or lower, etc - but fully assembled ready to shoot. I'd like it to have heavy barrel (for precision target shooting up to 800 yrds or so, in a 223).

Anyone knows where I can get a real good deal? It should be Quality made, and CA approved.

Thanks.
RJ.

GMG
12-14-2008, 5:43 PM
Here's one from Del-Ton.

Don't know what kind of a wait there is thou.

http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RA2H20%2D0

railroader
12-14-2008, 6:33 PM
Your not going to find anything like what you want that is "California Approved". Now you can find California legal rifles. If you want to go cheap buy a lower and then order a kit like one from Del-ton. I don't think Del-ton ships rifles to California so you have to have it shipped to an out of state ffl who can install a bullet button then he ships it to an ffl here that will accept it here. If you order a kit they ship it to your house. You just buy a lower locally. Here's another place for kits: http://www.jtdistributing.com/ Just plan on a long wait whatever route you choose if you want to go cheap. You could also wait for a rifle to come up for sale here on the forum. Mark

aplinker
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
800yd from .223? I hope you reload. You're going to want at least a 24" bull barrel.

Right now, times are tight, so it's going to be tough.

Both Rock River and Stag sell something like what you're looking for.

However, I'd highly recommend a White Oak Armament upper and putting together your own lower.

Capita159
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Good luck trying to find yourself any AR15 rifles or parts in stock for what they costed a year ago. I bought my DPMS 20" HBAR from colemantyler.com for $430. shipped, "but not in stock anymore". You can keep checking AIMsurplus.com for a Superior strip lower for $85., "not in stock also otherwise I'd buy two more", then the rest of the parts should run around $250. That is the cheapest route I can think of for the time being.

To make it CA "gray area" approve, you'll either need to lock the magazine release or put a MonsterMan Grip without any other "evil" feature such are flash hider, collaspable stock, forward vertical grip, etc...

800yards is not impossible with factory loads. I shoot 600yards with my set up at Angeles all day, as long as I got myself a spotter to see WTF I'm hitting or not hitting.

BTW, I shoot 600 yards with Remington UMC 55gr. I'm sure you can knock 800yards well using 45gr ammo. That is if there is no gust of wind, the bullet should have no problem getting there.

PIRATE14
12-15-2008, 9:00 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a fully assembled AR - not uppers or lower, etc - but fully assembled ready to shoot. I'd like it to have heavy barrel (for precision target shooting up to 800 yrds or so, in a 223).

Anyone knows where I can get a real good deal? It should be Quality made, and CA approved.

Thanks.
RJ.

So you want to get an AR that will pop out to 800 yds and shoot sub moa......cheaply....:cool:

Good luck w/ that....oh when you find one LMK, so I can buy a bunch....:D

Gator Monroe
12-15-2008, 9:09 AM
Build a Retro AR/M16A1 from a complete barreled upper (Minus CH and BCG) from Gunnyssurplus or OOW (if they get more or restock them) $250.00 to $350.00 and source a low price OLL lower (Vulcan comes to mind as being still immediantly available) to build a lower to put your Upper on ...

dchang0
12-15-2008, 9:41 AM
Check with Freakshow Mfg. (PM freakshow10mm). He builds complete, low-cost OLLs for sale to the California market, and because you don't have to pay sales tax* and the "California premium" you can frequently save a lot of money over buying retail here in Calif.

Gator Monroe
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Check with Freakshow Mfg. (PM freakshow10mm). He builds complete, low-cost OLLs for sale to the California market, and because you don't have to pay sales tax* and the "California premium" you can frequently save a lot of money over buying retail here in Calif.

+1:)

aplinker
12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Good luck trying to find yourself any AR15 rifles or parts in stock for what they costed a year ago. I bought my DPMS 20" HBAR from colemantyler.com for $430. shipped, "but not in stock anymore". You can keep checking AIMsurplus.com for a Superior strip lower for $85., "not in stock also otherwise I'd buy two more", then the rest of the parts should run around $250. That is the cheapest route I can think of for the time being.

To make it CA "gray area" approve, you'll either need to lock the magazine release or put a MonsterMan Grip without any other "evil" feature such are flash hider, collaspable stock, forward vertical grip, etc...

800yards is not impossible with factory loads. I shoot 600yards with my set up at Angeles all day, as long as I got myself a spotter to see WTF I'm hitting or not hitting.

BTW, I shoot 600 yards with Remington UMC 55gr. I'm sure you can knock 800yards well using 45gr ammo. That is if there is no gust of wind, the bullet should have no problem getting there.

:rolleyes:

800yds is not 600yds. I shoot 600 all the time, too. I shoot 1000yds when I can. Adding distance isn't linear. You'll need HEAVY grained bullets, not lighter, to go distance. 77gr or even singly load 80gr is better for 800yds.

Also, there is no "gray area" with the bullet button and monsterman grip. Calling it such is like saying using a hands free bluetooth is a gray area around the cell phone ban.