View Full Version : Bringing my own gun to California

12-14-2008, 4:02 PM
I have a single-shot, .22 cal Winchester rifle that I've owned for years, but it's at my parent's house in Connecticut. We're going to visit over Christmas and I was thinking about bringing it back with me - or mailing it back to myself.

Are there any rules/law regarding this that I have to worry about? Mailing it, or fed ex, would be easier for me than carrying it since I'm traveling with kids.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-14-2008, 4:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Since you already own the rifle, it is perfectly legal for you to ship it back to California yourself. You can also bring it on the plane with you.

USPS and UPS policies allow you to ship it from yourself to yourself. FedEx policy doesn't allow this kind of shipment, but many folks use FedEx for this and don't have problems. For UPS you need to go to an actual UPS shipping counter at a UPS facility. You can't ship firearms through one of the "UPS Store" franchises.

12-14-2008, 9:03 PM
Thanks. I took a look at the CA DOJ website on firearms and there's all that new stuff about shipping guns so I wasn't sure. It seemed to just involve transactions and sales - that kind of stuff. But you never know.

12-15-2008, 9:25 AM
There's also a section on caldoj concerning new kalifornia residents. Read that to make sure you don't run afoul of some arcane legistlative antic.

12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
scary looking rifles are treated differently.
registration of rifles is voluntary, pistols you must register though I think if you have an unregistered handgun in your home you're ok