PDA

View Full Version : AR assembled upper or Do-It-Yourself?

Phil3
12-14-2008, 2:23 PM
I will be building a few ARs and would like to know if it makes more sense financially to buy an assembled upper, or put one together yourself. I have a Noveske N6 .308 lower and a SunDevil AR15 lower.

I see the Novekse 21" assembled Noveske upper is $1,955. Gulp. AR-15s are less. One AR15 will be red dot, 16" barrel, medium barrel in .223, the other using 6.5 Grendel or 6mmAR for top accuracy w/scope, and the AR10 for top accuracy with a 20" or 24" heavy barrel, also scoped. I will be reloading my own ammo, so for the last two, looking for something that will take full advantage of optimized loads.

Thanks for your suggestions.

- Phil

aplinker
12-14-2008, 4:27 PM
It's not difficult, but it does take special tooling. Depending on how you do the builds you might come out ahead in cost after doing 3 vs. paying someone to put them together.

You do get the satisfaction, though.

Don't skimp on the tools, though.

Phil3
12-14-2008, 4:52 PM
Thanks for your reply. Is their a source to identify what quality tools I should have? I am mechanically inclined, but methodical, and want top notch equipment.

- Phil

Josh3239
12-14-2008, 7:38 PM
AR15 Armorer's Wrench, vice and DPMS Panther Claw Upper receiver tool for attaching the barrel to the upper and tightening the muzzle device.

If you are going to have a forward assist it is the same as knocking a roll pin in a lower receiver, a punch, hammer, and tape will do.

All of this stuff is sold by RifleGear.com, though it is possible with Obama being elected that they could be sold out.

CleverName
12-14-2008, 8:25 PM
A torque wrench would be handy as well.

Seesm
12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
All B.s. a hammer and duct tape is all my buddy used... Jk

Actually I was not aware you needed a bunch of specialty tools...I thought it all just bolted together... Everyday you learn someonething on here.

Thanks everyone.

Boots
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I would agree.. if you're planning on doing multiple builds, it's definitely worth the price to buy the tools. For myself, building one or two, it just makes sense to buy complete. I'm now in the process of building my own lower for my third AR... pretty easy.

It's not difficult, but it does take special tooling. Depending on how you do the builds you might come out ahead in cost after doing 3 vs. paying someone to put them together.

You do get the satisfaction, though.

Don't skimp on the tools, though.

Boots
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Well... the lower may be as easy, but building an upper I'd recommend the proper tools so as to not mar, scratch or damage your receiver.

All B.s. a hammer and duct tape is all my buddy used... Jk

Actually I was not aware you needed a bunch of specialty tools...I thought it all just bolted together... Everyday you learn someonething on here.

Thanks everyone.

jgraham15
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
My first two AR's I built I used already built uppers. For the third build I built my own upper and it wasn't too bad. The most difficult part for me was installing the barrel but with the right tools and some patience its really not very hard and it really makes you proud of your AR!!!

aplinker
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Everything needed has been listed, unless you use a free float forearm, in which case you'll likely need the proprietary one from your rail manufacturer.

You'll also want a cheater bar for torquing the barrel nut.