PDA

View Full Version : Fast way to get hunting license

Ducke
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
So i was just asked by a few friends to go bird hunting with them X-Mas weekend.

I have been a avid shooter for a while, but never went hunting. My dad never wanted to go, or just lacked the enthusiasm to go with me. So i have yet to get my permit or license. Turners said that there were no more classes this year. is there a fast way or another way to get one so i can go next weekend?

ivanimal
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes.aspx

There should be more info if you browse the link provided.

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know of any hunters ed classes in the next week

Ducke
12-14-2008, 12:25 PM
for some reason it wont let me go to that link, IDK.

and Sorensen, i think your rite :(

*bummed*

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 12:26 PM
for some reason it wont let me go to that link, IDK.

and Sorensen, i think your rite :(

*bummed*

You can still go with them
just bring some beer and a camera and relax

5150Marcelo
12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I checked the link, and I found the info on if you lost your certificate. ut whats the procedure if you lost your license?

Matt C
12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
What class? I bought mine at big 5, paid the $9 or whatever and walked out...

ke6guj
12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/faq.aspx

May I get a hunting license without taking a Class?
The Department of Fish and Game offers a comprehensive equivalency testing program at each regional office. You may request information on this method of testing from the offices listed above. There is a non-refundable, administrative fee required to take the examination. If you fail the examination, you must take a hunter education class to become certified.
Warning! Not all states accept the equivalency certificate as proof of hunter education. All states will accept the certificate of completion that is awarded upon completion of a hunter education class.Looks like you can test-out at the local DFG office.

5150Marcelo
12-14-2008, 12:47 PM

When?

Ducke
12-14-2008, 12:59 PM

sooo, what exactly did you do/say?

Matt C
12-14-2008, 1:10 PM
sooo, what exactly did you do/say?

I want to buy a hunting license... Gave money, got license. I guess it's not valid until I take the class? wtf? Did Big 5 just totally screw up?

Gunaria
12-14-2008, 2:44 PM
I want to buy a hunting license... Gave money, got license. I guess it's not valid until I take the class? wtf? Did Big 5 just totally screw up?

So you are saying Big 5 did not ask to see your expired license or you HS certificate?

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 2:48 PM

you were supposed to give them your proof of taking the class or a prior hunting license
Its valid but they screwed up

Matt C
12-14-2008, 2:50 PM
So you are saying Big 5 did not ask to see your expired license or you HS certificate?

Nope.

Dark&Good
12-14-2008, 3:02 PM
Hey, call this guy and explain nicely your situation:
Neal Kernes, (925) 216-7269

He's very good hearted and flexible, and since he's doing the ED at home (in Livermore), you just need to get there. I'm sure he'll do it with you if he's got the time. He likes to talk, so just listen to him, and you'll get your license in 15-30 minutes :)
Prerequisite is that you do the online course at http://homestudy.ihea.com/ and print out the test results for him.

I needed a license in a week, and got it. The deer season was ending in 8 days :devil2:

homi mike
12-14-2008, 7:34 PM

He's very good hearted and flexible, and since he's doing the ED at home (in Livermore), you just need to get there. I'm sure he'll do it with you if he's got the time. He likes to talk, so just listen to him, and you'll get your license in 15-30 minutes :)
Prerequisite is that you do the online course at http://homestudy.ihea.com/ and print out the test results for him.

I needed a license in a week, and got it. The deer season was ending in 8 days :devil2:
That's possibly the quickest way you can get your hunting license, besides try to go to the Big5 that blackwater ops went to and seek for the same employee :p
I went online and did the tutorial and read the material, took the test, print the cert. and bring it to a hunter's ed class specially made for online/home study students, sat for another 3 hours and listen to him giving you review and tips for the test, then you will take the 80-100 questions exam. Once you pass it, he will give you a cert. of completion and you can take it to big5 or some big outdoor chain and get your license. Cost of the license is ~$39

5150Marcelo
12-14-2008, 7:54 PM
How does one replace a lost license?

A lost license, not a lost certificate.

Fjold
12-14-2008, 8:11 PM

A lost license, not a lost certificate.

When you buy a hunting license they give you a special receipt. If you lose your license you can send the proof of purchase in to the DFG, pay a fee and get a new license.

5150Marcelo
12-14-2008, 8:13 PM
When you buy a hunting license they give you a special receipt. If you lose your license you can send the proof of purchase in to the DFG, pay a fee and get a new license.

I dont have a receipt from 8 years ago:confused:

daves100
12-14-2008, 8:19 PM
online http://www.hunter-ed.com might work if you show it to a walmart guy

Dark&Good
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
This instructor* gave me a second license, on yellow paper (the original is green). This second one is only good for getting a new license without a new course.

* I just remembered, I only got a cert from the instructor. Got the license AND the yellow copy at BIG 5.

Deadred7o7
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Some of the posts on here are why I wear hunter orange when out deer hunting, to many people not wanting to get properly trained.

Dark&Good
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
:D :D :D

One should also consider the studenting and comprehension differences between people. The "legal" and "official" data sounds like everybody is identical on this planet...

Ducke
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Some of the posts on here are why I wear hunter orange when out deer hunting, to many people not wanting to get properly trained.

oh i dont want to take a short cut. im sure there is important info i need to know. but i dont want to wait until jan 9th to get my cert, i would like to take it sooner.

Ducke
12-14-2008, 11:49 PM
thank you

Moonclip
12-15-2008, 4:19 AM
I personally generally would not hunt with someone who knowingly tried to get around taking a hunter safety course.

My great grandfather killed someone in a hunting accident, it is not a laughing matter.

Salty
12-15-2008, 8:23 PM

+100000

Take the damn class people. It's not bad, in fact it's kinda fun. We shot clays and archery at my class (held at coyote valley sporting clays) and they served a killer breakfast and lunch.

I don't want to be out in the field with people who somehow got by without taking the class or half assed it. You owe it to yourself and everyone else to take that class. Hell, it only costs like ten damn dollars!

Salty
12-15-2008, 8:27 PM

I read the other posts on how you got the license, but $9? You sure you didn't just buy a tag or something? My 2008/2009 was somewhere around $40.

Ducke
12-16-2008, 1:16 PM
+100000

Take the damn class people. It's not bad, in fact it's kinda fun. We shot clays and archery at my class (held at coyote valley sporting clays) and they served a killer breakfast and lunch.

I don't want to be out in the field with people who somehow got by without taking the class or half assed it. You owe it to yourself and everyone else to take that class. Hell, it only costs like ten damn dollars!
I DONT WANT TO TRY AND SKIP THE CLASS!!!!7543765436$#^%&*%

lol. i just cant/dont want to wait untill jan10th to take the class. i want to take the class ASAP so i can go out with my friends. Im VERY sure there is ALOT of stuff i need to learn. I have been reading regulations and stories on hunting accidents to know how other people got hurt and to learn from their mistakes. I was simply asking if there were classes that were able to be taken on last min notices, and more one on one so i could get better knowledge and help on matters. Im always hungry for information, so i DEFF. dont want to miss out on a class, esp if im paying for it

No i dont want to skip the classes, no i dont want to poach.

GenLee
12-16-2008, 1:51 PM
2008/2009 Resident Hunting License $38.85
Ca. Upland game Stamp $7.90
Ca. Duck Stamp $16.80
Federal Duck Stamp $15.00

HUNTER SAFTEY COURSE: PRICELESS !!!!

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 1:53 PM
Did you call Neal Kearnes? You won't skip anything on safety with him, but you'll get the training in time.

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 2:01 PM
Hey, people, read Ducke's original post carefully, understand it fully, and reply accordingly. I had the same problem, I didn't want to skip anything, I knew that it's in my best interest to learn, BUT couldn't find a timely course. Do you think somebody could have his INSTRUCTOR license/certification for long if he wouldn't train people and have good results?

Ducke
12-16-2008, 2:32 PM
Hey, people, read Ducke's original post carefully, understand it fully, and reply accordingly. I had the same problem, I didn't want to skip anything, I knew that it's in my best interest to learn, BUT couldn't find a timely course. Do you think somebody could have his INSTRUCTOR license/certification for long if he wouldn't train people and have good results?

PRECISELY

thank you for clearign things up. no i havent called, i was doing alot this weekend.

Ducke
12-16-2008, 2:38 PM

holly crap. i didnt see that he lives in livermore. i live in LA, i dont think that is going to happen.....

Salty
12-16-2008, 4:12 PM
I DONT WANT TO TRY AND SKIP THE CLASS!!!!7543765436$#^%&*%

lol. i just cant/dont want to wait untill jan10th to take the class. i want to take the class ASAP so i can go out with my friends. Im VERY sure there is ALOT of stuff i need to learn. I have been reading regulations and stories on hunting accidents to know how other people got hurt and to learn from their mistakes. I was simply asking if there were classes that were able to be taken on last min notices, and more one on one so i could get better knowledge and help on matters. Im always hungry for information, so i DEFF. dont want to miss out on a class, esp if im paying for it

No i dont want to skip the classes, no i dont want to poach.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like you were trying to get around the class. :)
More so speaking of the people who DO try to get around the class or are very reluctant to take it.

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 8:44 PM
Then try and find somebody in your area and convince him... DFG has a list, call every single person in your area, tell them about your problem - there are many good people out there... Ask around (family, friends), I would even register on a hunting forum to ask... hope you make it.

reggie 00
12-16-2008, 9:06 PM
I dont have a receipt from 8 years ago:confused:

There is an affadavit to fill out if you lost it.
You basically fill out the who where when and sign it.
They will have it where you get your licence. Its a little white paper.

spectr17
12-16-2008, 9:43 PM
We're working on closing the "I lost my license" loophole. Those that use it are lame.

One suggestion was to have wardens do a no announce check of HLs and names. DFG has the database to do it I'm told. Those that lied are charged with felony fraud, as you were warned on the affidavit you sign when you claim a lost license. Figure maybe one or two checks ought to get the word out.

Scarecrow Repair
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Online course (http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca/)

No idea how useful it is. Been a while since I harvested the link.

Big-Kr3w
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
look up on the dfg page i think it is for BAM, it stands for Bear and Mark, there out of san berdo..they usually do it every other saturday i beleive it was, good guys too....

Dark&Good
12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Big-Kr3w,
That's a great signature!

Fire in the Hole
12-17-2008, 7:42 AM
I'm a HS Instructor, but after 25 years of teaching it, I'm retiring from the program at the end of this year. My classes are 16 hours long and go for two weeks. This includes 6 hrs. at the range with a BBQ. I just don't approve of the way F&G administers it anymore. If you have lost your license, the quickest way to replace it is to go to your origional instructor. He is required to keep a class list of every class he's ever taught. If he is still certified to teach, he can check his records, if you give him your date of attendance, and issue you a new one on the spot. I've had past students show up at my front door that I had in the class 20 yrs. ago, for a replacement of a lost license. You still still have to go to a sporting goods store and buy the certification/validation stamp.

Barbarossa
12-18-2008, 12:51 AM

Yes, Also $9...sure it wasn't a fishing license?

Affidavit of where you last purchased.

+1

this is an intuitive course, but very important information. BEtter to not hunt then to rush through it.

Matt C
12-18-2008, 1:17 AM
Yes, Also $9...sure it wasn't a fishing license?

Yeah, that's the disabled vet price.

Ducke
12-18-2008, 8:47 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like you were trying to get around the class. :)
More so speaking of the people who DO try to get around the class or are very reluctant to take it.

oh ok, lol. i felt like people were jumping on me saying i was trying to be sneaky....

popndrop
12-18-2008, 8:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that On Target in Laguna Niguel has a class this weekend - I have a buddy that is going - starts Sat at 8AM-noonish I think. Call them to get into it.
There are some good things about the class that you should learn before walking into the field - for my sake and all the rest of the hunters out there, go take the class.
I had to retake it last year because I hunt in Texas and they won't accept anything except a state issued Hunters Safety Cert - (i took my class back in the late 90's and lost it a few years after) - so I took the class again, and you know - it wasn't that bad. Its good to get back to basics sometimes.

Happy hunting and happy holidays to you and yours.

Deadred7o7
12-19-2008, 12:23 AM
oh ok, lol. i felt like people were jumping on me saying i was trying to be sneaky....

Sorry if it sounded that way. I did not mean you, Im glad that you are trying to take the class in time for the hunt with friends.:threadjacked:

Pronghorn
12-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Everyone is putting too much weight on this safety class. It DOES NOT teach common sense. That is the key to safe hunting.

tcrpe
12-20-2008, 4:16 PM

:iagree:

tcrpe
12-20-2008, 4:17 PM
Everyone is putting too much weight on this safety class. It DOES NOT teach common sense. That is the key to safe hunting.

I don't think it's a matter of "too much weight", it's a DFG requirement.

Pronghorn
12-20-2008, 4:38 PM
I don't think it's a matter of "too much weight", it's a DFG requirement.

I know it's a requirement, but there are alot of people that said that they wouldn't hunt with someone that has not had the "DFG training".

tcrpe
12-20-2008, 4:43 PM
I know it's a requirement, but there are alot of people that said that they wouldn't hunt with someone that has not had the "DFG training".

I wouldn't. The DFG required training, that is. Would you?

Pronghorn
12-20-2008, 4:54 PM

I went with a friend that took his son to a hunters safety class. There was alot BS info spewing from the instructors mouth. After all the BS, he proceeded to award a certificate of completion to an obviously mentally handicapped boy. He didn't even look at the tests.

So, no. The "DFG training" is not a requirement I have for people I hunt with. I just don't hunt with careless people.

Deadred7o7
12-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I went with a friend that took his son to a hunters safety class. There was alot BS info spewing from the instructors mouth. After all the BS, he proceeded to award a certificate of completion to an obviously mentally handicapped boy. He didn't even look at the tests.

So, no. The "DFG training" is not a requirement I have for people I hunt with. I just don't hunt with careless people.

So you dont require the people you hunt with to be legal?????

Whitesmoke
12-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Give me a break.....I was 11B Infantry for many years before I had a hunting license and hunter safety course. Do you think it would have been unsafe to hunt with someone like me before I had the "proper" HS course? I thought not...

I could run down live fire ranges with my fellow soldiers on each side of me....even patrol the streets and raid drug houses during the LA Riots...but I wasn't properly trained to safely hunt?

But, by the way...I'm retaking the HS course in late January with my 12 year old daugher (her first time) just for kicks and something for us to do together. So, I'm not opposed to the course.....just the idea that I NEED the government to properly train me or my daughter in anything. But it's not a bad idea to take one...just not the end all some make it out to be.

Pronghorn
12-21-2008, 7:12 AM
So you dont require the people you hunt with to be legal?????

I assume that everyone is legal. It's not my job to check them.

spectr17
12-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Some of the worst people concerning gun safety I've hunted with are ex military or cops. Many older folks who are exempt from HS have the highest accident rate according to the stats. We think we know it all once we get to 40. Some of those hilarious Youtube videos showing idjits shooting themselves are cops and military.

I took the HS with a new hunter even though I didn't need it. I learned a few new things and refreshed the gray matter on a few other issues.

HS is also now required to hunt many other states so it is best to get it out of the way now and not scramble for a class date when you draw an out of state hunt.

Whitesmoke
12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
HS is also now required to hunt many other states so it is best to get it out of the way now and not scramble for a class date when you draw an out of state hunt.

I actually don't disagree with you....but someone with that much training already is not going to get any safer from just taking a HS class.

And the out of state hunt thing is very good reason to actually get a certificate. I hope to hunt Utah this year...and need to provide them with an actual HS certificate to get a license there.

spectr17
12-21-2008, 1:25 PM
I actually don't disagree with you....but someone with that much training already is not going to get any safer from just taking a HS class.

HS classes are not JUST about gun safety. The review game laws, game identification, ethics and more. The attitude "HS won't make me or anyone any safer" is exactly what they are trying to cure. I've been hunting 43 years and still didn't ace my HS test. There is always room for improvement and to refresh what we THINK we already know.

As for gun safety and hunting, I watch people's muzzle control and trigger finger. If they can't demonstrate they are safe with a gun they don't hunt with me. Period. I don't care how many years they were a cop, in the military or whatever they think qualifies them to be a safe hunter.

CEEJ
10-10-2011, 9:14 PM
I know this thread is old but was wondering if anyone knows if Kernes is still doing his courses in Livermore. Want to send the girlfriend and one of her gal pals so they can whack ducks this season.