PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Magwells... Fix?

GMONEY
12-14-2008, 8:32 AM
Just curious if anyone knows how much it costs to unseal the magwell and stick a BB or prince 50 on it? Also who around So Cal can do this?

Jicko
12-14-2008, 8:39 AM
1 thing, depends on what gun is that.... some FAB10 don't have bolt catch... so it won't help even if you open up your magwell...

Also, personally, I would just go buy a new lower, buy a LPK(and maybe one that doesn't have the FCG, hence cheaper).... and build another one up instead..

GMONEY
12-14-2008, 8:42 AM
It's a Bushmaster and a great deal he said you could just have it taken out?

RobG
12-14-2008, 8:48 AM
Try the search. I think someone here has done the same to their BM and it was pretty easy. But I would just buy a different lower.

ARshooterNCA
12-14-2008, 8:51 AM
Well GMoney, Your bushmaster is california legal for a reason. The magwell is sealed for a reason. by altering that gun, you are making that a questionalable firearm, in my eyes. same goes for the vulcan. the vulcan was able to hit the california market because of its rivit/epoxy setup. my advice to you is spend the 150-200 on a OLL and slap your upper on that.

GMONEY
12-14-2008, 8:55 AM
I forgot the Bushmaster is on the "List"

762cavalier
12-14-2008, 9:04 AM
Well GMoney, Your bushmaster is california legal for a reason. The magwell is sealed for a reason. by altering that gun, you are making that a questionalable firearm, in my eyes. same goes for the vulcan. the vulcan was able to hit the california market because of its rivit/epoxy setup. my advice to you is spend the 150-200 on a OLL and slap your upper on that.

How would unsealing the magwell and putting a BB in be any different than getting an OLL and putting a BB in it. You do know the vulcan rivet epoxy setup can and has been removed without the use of a tool?

I agree with the other posters though. might just be easier to buy a receiver without a sealed mag well.

Santa Cruz Armory
12-14-2008, 9:15 AM

If it's that great of a deal, I may be interested.. :D I need a funky Fab-10 and a Bushy so i can look back after all this gun ban crap is dead and say "look at the crap they made us do". LOL!

double0b
12-14-2008, 9:20 AM
The Carbon15 sealed magwell lower is an OLL. It is very simple to open the magwell. I did so using a dremel tool and some hand files to clean up the edges. No problems have been experienced. The BB fits/functions perfectly. I was advised not to do the modification as it would void the warranty, and may cause corrosion due to exposed carbon fibers on metalic parts (none has occurred).

Bushmaster offers this service to CA Carbon15 owners who move out of Cali with their rifles. If they are willing to do this modification, that's good enough for me.

Zaskar
12-14-2008, 9:40 AM
I to, have a Bushmaster Carbon 15. I just installed the Radlock button after removing the internal mag. Very easy. Just removed the soft rivet head that holds the internal mag in the sealed magwell. Knock, gently the rivet piece that is left in the magwell and mag. The internal mag with some giggling comes straight out the top. I then taped off the top of the magwell so tha any dust would not make its way into the internals. I then outlined the bottom of the magwell with, blue masking tape. I used my dremel to follow the inside lines of the blue tape. Some light filing and clean up work and it's done. Very easy to do and cheaper than buying a new lower. The job comes out great and you will be very happy as long as you take the time to measure/outline your cut are twice and cut once.

RobG
12-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Good thing we don't need your o.k. Its legal because it is not listed. Has nothing to do with the magwell. The sealed Vulcan lower is just as silly.

Vinz
12-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't forget to apply fiber resin to the exposed fiber from cutting.

vinz

BlackonBlack
12-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Sealed Magwells :hide: noooooooooo

hawk1
12-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a saws all we could use...:p

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Sealed Magwells :hide: noooooooooo

I think they actually look much cooler............on bohica uppers :D

762cavalier
12-14-2008, 11:52 AM
The internal mag with some giggling comes straight out the top.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

He giggles while he modifies his rifle.

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Bushmaster carbon 15 or a standard Bushmaster as in the forged version. If it is the latter, it would be an assualt weapon if you unsealed the magwell.

Evans recieved questionable authority to sell the listed sealed magwell Bushmaster from Iggy, and by unsealing it you would loose that small bit of protection.

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 1:04 PM
Bushmaster carbon 15 or a standard Bushmaster as in the forged version. If it is the latter, it would be an assualt weapon if you unsealed the magwell.

Evans recieved questionable authority to sell the listed sealed magwell Bushmaster from Iggy, and by unsealing it you would loose that small bit of protection.

If its a listed receiver it is an assault weapon whether or not the magwell is sealed

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 1:18 PM
If its a listed receiver it is an assault weapon whether or not the magwell is sealed

Agreed, but there is still that issue with evans gunsmithing and the Iggy letter.

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 1:19 PM
Agreed, but there is still that issue with evans gunsmithing and the Iggy letter.

Iggy's letters don't change the PC

Sam .223
12-14-2008, 1:20 PM
i just built a new double star lower and installed my carbon 15 upper on that, i kept the sealed lower in tact.

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 1:21 PM
Iggy's letters don't change the PC

No kidding, But that does not change the fact that some were sold under false pretences with the approval of the DOJ.

sorensen440
12-14-2008, 1:32 PM
No kidding, But that does not change the fact that some were sold under false pretences with the approval of the DOJ.

They should allow them to be registered in that case :D

aplinker
12-14-2008, 4:25 PM

:yes:

ohsmily
12-14-2008, 7:34 PM
I forgot the Bushmaster is on the "List"
Big surprise.... :rolleyes:

JagerTroop
12-14-2008, 9:10 PM

Evan and Iggy? REALLY? :90: You've been on this forum long enough to know better than to follow the lead of these two knuckleheads.

Blacktail 8541
12-15-2008, 3:09 PM
Evan and Iggy? REALLY? :90: You've been on this forum long enough to know better than to follow the lead of these two knuckleheads.

Who in the H*** said I was following their leads? I was simply stateing fact. :mad:

Evans got a letter, Rifles were sold, all with DOJ blessing.

Chunky_lover
12-18-2008, 8:53 PM
I to, have a Bushmaster Carbon 15. I just installed the Radlock button after removing the internal mag. Very easy. Just removed the soft rivet head that holds the internal mag in the sealed magwell. Knock, gently the rivet piece that is left in the magwell and mag. The internal mag with some giggling comes straight out the top. I then taped off the top of the magwell so tha any dust would not make its way into the internals. I then outlined the bottom of the magwell with, blue masking tape. I used my dremel to follow the inside lines of the blue tape. Some light filing and clean up work and it's done. Very easy to do and cheaper than buying a new lower. The job comes out great and you will be very happy as long as you take the time to measure/outline your cut are twice and cut once.

Bushy sealed mag cut out, very easy to do Alot of people trashtalk the rifle because its plastic type material, but I love it.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/mikegigabyte/Bushmaster/Bushmaster1.jpg

robairto
12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
are OLLs.You can order an open well version or have the closed version. I have a closed one I bought which I have never run a round thru it. The carbon upper M4 has close to 1000+ rnds without fail thru my RAW Bushy lower from the old days. If you open it up up you will need to use a BB/prince 50 device with the mag.. They work fine as lowers and would buy another one. Prices used are $600-$800 depending on the person selling them and the condition.

masterbush
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Can you buy just the sealed carbon 15 lower receiver from anyone?

aplinker
01-08-2009, 11:52 PM

No. Why would you want to?

They make an unsealed version. You can also buy a regular OLL.

Some FAB 10's are still out there, too.

If you really want one for some bizarre reason, I'm willing to be some C-15 owners would be happy to trade for a regular OLL.

grammaton76
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
For the record, Evans' Bushmaster rifles are off-list nowadays due to some interesting hijinks.

I believe it was bwiese who stated that the DOJ decided the listed receivers were a problem, so they had Evans get a manufacturer's license and "remanufacture" the lowers under his own brand so they'd be off list. I believe the numbers were redone to be something like EGSW-XXXX.

robairto
02-16-2009, 1:56 PM
The Carbon15 sealed magwell lower is an OLL. It is very simple to open the magwell. I did so using a dremel tool and some hand files to clean up the edges. No problems have been experienced. The BB fits/functions perfectly. I was advised not to do the modification as it would void the warranty, and may cause corrosion due to exposed carbon fibers on metalic parts (none has occurred).

Bushmaster offers this service to CA Carbon15 owners who move out of Cali with their rifles. If they are willing to do this modification, that's good enough for me.

I contacted BM and they advised me THEY WILL NOT REMOVE THE SEALED MAGWELL. This was last week (yes I did it as a Nv resident request).. Sooo, I removed it today and everything worked just fine. I used the parts for a SLR15 I bought. I like the lite weight lower. RB

ar15barrels
02-16-2009, 3:29 PM

Could you imagine what those lowers would be worth the day after the announcement of an amnesty period for them? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
People would spend $5000 for one.

ar15barrels
02-16-2009, 3:32 PM
Just curious if anyone knows how much it costs to unseal the magwell and stick a BB or prince 50 on it?
Also who around So Cal can do this?

I can cut the magwell open for you, but I don't have any mag locks so get that before you come over.

racer_X_123
02-16-2009, 4:24 PM
I too have the bushmaster carbon 15 (with what was a sealed lower) and it was SO easy. It took me half an hour to actually do it and like 2 weeks trying to build up the courage to actually do it.

If you want pictures, just PM me and i will send you some. Also i will send some advice if you want.

ar-dude
02-16-2009, 4:30 PM
I also have a bushmaster and i took out the bottom plate with just a couple of razor blades that come in utility knifes. all you have to do is use one blade to take of the rivet and another to outline the bottom of the mag plate if you wondering how far to cut on the bottom of the magwell you can see an outline, thats what i used then i borrowed my friends dremel to smooth the ruff edges popped in a bullet button took it to the range and it works great and feels better to push the button with a bullet than to almost take the gun apart to reload:thumbsup:

dieselpower
02-16-2009, 5:32 PM
I too have done this. Drill out the rivot. carefully cut out the mag well bottom. Seal the cut with something like a good brand anti-rust paint.

dieselpower
02-16-2009, 5:41 PM

Yes they are still sold, but No, you need to go to an FFL still. I think that answers your question.

Last I saw they were $1100.

Pros
Light build
Slab side upper
M4 ramps with true M4 barrel.

Cons
Magwell needs to be opened up
or you have to top load

Carbon fiber slab side uppers are rare. I would say someday they will be worth more then other uppers to collectors. So will a sealed lower as a wall hanger.

****, have you seen what an M17S goes for now since BM stopped making them. I bought mine for $550. Sold it for $700. I saw one for $1200 in AZ.

tgriffin
02-16-2009, 6:08 PM
I did mine with a dremel. Came out fine. Ended up trading it to another member here, otherwise I'd take pics to show you.

robairto
02-17-2009, 6:02 PM
Carbon15 with the bottom removed.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/AR_pics_2-09_011.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/AR_pics_2-09_014.jpg

Pic with mag taken out of this state:D:D:D

jaymz
02-17-2009, 6:16 PM
Dremel's are cheaper than lowers right now.

Dremel away.:thumbsup: