PDA

View Full Version : Permanant Fix for extended A2 Flash Hider on 14.5" barrel

hiyabrad
12-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a 14.5" M4 upper and a Sabre Defense extended A2 flash hider.

What is the best way to attach the flash hider on to the M4 upper so I am compliant on overall length of 16" barrel?

And who does the best work?

Thanks in advance!

Harbinger
12-13-2008, 11:26 PM
http://www.ar15barrels.com

Randall does AWESOME work.

Here's my post-ban J&T/Doublestar upper converted to a M4 profile 14.7 + Pinned Stardard A2

http://i34.tinypic.com/2eec3lv.jpg

Mike

ghost
12-13-2008, 11:44 PM
i had m24armorer permanently install my vortex flash hider.he drilled it out and tack welded a blind pin in place.

aplinker
12-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Randall's work on blind pins/welds is top-notch and he's really reasonably priced.

I'm sure he'll drop by the thread.

Blue Label
12-14-2008, 1:11 AM
who's randall? and how do I find him?

aplinker
12-14-2008, 1:56 AM
Randall = ar15barrels

You can PM him.

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 7:14 AM
If you can't get in touch with Randall, send it to ADCO to have the work done. Great work and fast turn around time.

trinydex
12-14-2008, 1:10 PM
are you sure you want a flash hider? if you ever go to a non evil build it'd be nice to have a brake on there instead. i hear ar15barrels has those too.

kingjoey
01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
We do them as well. We prefer to blast and repark the barrel after doing the work, it matches the original finish exactly. Shoot me an email at joey@kingarmory.com if you have any questions.

Mississippi
01-04-2009, 1:03 AM
JB weld....Just joking;)

Vinz
01-04-2009, 1:36 AM
http://www.ar15barrels.com

Randall does too good of a job sometimes, I have been to a range in which a man was haggled for his 14.5 with a perm attached flash-hider, the only indication of any work was a VERY slight ring of discoloration, and that was only because his muzzle break was parkerized and he used instant blue gel, the job was done by Randall

I opted for the idiot proof indication, I asked randall to not do the finishing touches and I did not apply and cold blue gel (even though I have some on hand). Again this is how I wanted it , because you will get armchairs lawyers haggle you- keep it obvious is like an idiot repellent, to each his own.

Lmt 14.5 with (1.75 inch) Levang muzzle breakhttp://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/imuman/PICT1371.jpg
Great point. I have one that you can see a slightly raised section of the weld. Some jobs you can't even tell they are welded.
Now, im curious. Would they actually break out the vice grips to see if they are permanently attached or would they just make a call?

I was told if you do get it done its a good idea to keep the reciept in your range bag...along with the flow chart.

vinz

aplinker
01-04-2009, 1:44 AM
Great point. I have one that you can see a slightly raised section of the weld. Some jobs you can't even tell they are welded.
Now, im curious. Would they actually break out the vice grips to see if they are permanently attached or would they just make a call?

I was told if you do get it done its a good idea to keep the reciept in your range bag...along with the flow chart.

vinz

Lord almighty... if the weld is visible how is that proof? How is a receipt proof?

You can swap uppers, barrels, etc if you wanted to break the law.

Show them where the weld is, tell them it's permanent. You've already lawyered up if it gets to the point they're trying to take it off

Vinz
01-04-2009, 1:48 AM
sure, but thats what I was wondering. I'd like to do what I can to not get hassled when I am out trying to enjoy myself. I've never had an issue but I'd hate to assume my answer of "yes it is" is actually good enough.

vinz

ohsmily
01-04-2009, 9:55 AM
I don't think it is advisable to be in possession of a <16" barreled upper and a non-pistol lower receiver. If you have a pistol lower, then it isn't an issue.

bwiese
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't think it is advisable to be in possession of a <16" barreled upper and a non-pistol lower receiver. If you have a pistol lower, then it isn't an issue.

Correct. 'Constructive possession' of a shorty upper and a regular nonpistol lower is a no-no under Fed and state laws.

If you do have a 14.5" upper in your possession give it to a non-AW owner NOW. Don't accept it back until it's been lengthened to 16".

The OP has been around here long enough to have seen this warning repeatedly.

kingjoey
01-05-2009, 9:45 AM
JB weld....Just joking;)

I've seen it done :rolleyes: We use JB weld as 'bondo' here to fill in scratches before doing any Duracoating. Outside of that, JB weld doesn't have much use on guns :(

gn3hz3ku1*
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a 14.5" M4 upper and a Sabre Defense extended A2 flash hider.

What is the best way to attach the flash hider on to the M4 upper so I am compliant on overall length of 16" barrel?

And who does the best work?

Thanks in advance!

you mean you have the barrel that isnt attached to any upper right?

aplinker
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
you mean you have the barrel that isnt attached to any upper right?

Doesn't matter if they're separated by 100' in locked safes.

In ATF eyes it's an SBR.

hiyabrad
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Doesn't matter if they're separated by 100' in locked safes.

In ATF eyes it's an SBR.

Are we talking about a lower being near an upper

or

a barrel being near an upper?

ElvenSoul
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
umm do it yourself...it's just hot solder

ohsmily
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
umm do it yourself...it's just hot solder

Bad advice if you are in possession of the short upper and a rifle lower receiver and no pistol lower.

hiyabrad
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
No one here is in possession of any lowers. We are just talking about uppers and how to fix flash hiders.

ElvenSoul
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
and besides

any company that is willing to ship a 14.5" upper to calif...well I haven't found one yet that will not just go ahead and fix the problem for you before shipping...of course there is usually a little extra charge forthcoming

It is very refreshing though to see that they are thinking of us out here....

bwiese
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM
No one here is in possession of any lowers. We are just talking about uppers and how to fix flash hiders.

OK, that's fine then.

But we get jumpy because some folks with lowers in hand go get themselves a shorty upper thinking they'll do the FH themselves before assembling the rifle.

Remember, even if the shorty upper is in your vacation home in Tahoe and your lower is in your regular residence (vice versa, and similar applicability to cars, motorhomes, etc.) you end up 'constructively possessing' an illegal SBR. "Possession and control" are the operative concepts - and distance/separation of the two is irrelevant.