PDA

View Full Version : Cotter Pin Pains

alleyehave
12-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Is it just me or is that damn pin a pain in the a**??? Getting it out is easy with needle nose pliers, but getting it back in is a damn chore. I nearly bent mine to hades the other night and took even more hassle to finally get it to work.

I ordered a KNS Perma Pin which i'm assuming is much easier to put in and out?

1) Any tips for getting those guys in/out?

2) Anyone have the KNS? Opinions?

gunrun45
12-13-2008, 11:42 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to get the pin in or out.
All you have to do is grab it with your finger tips and rotate it a little as you pull it out/ put it back in. If it's harder than that, yours most likely has excessive spread in the legs that you really don't need.
Never felt the need to replace mine with anything aftermarket. I've owned AR platform guns for 25+ years.

sgl
12-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I put kns perma pins in all my builds, they go in and out pretty smoothly with absolutly no problems what so ever. wouldn't worry about it.

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 7:26 AM
KNS pins are ok, but they break easier than the standard coter pin that is used. + they are alot more expensive

Now to get back to the OPs ?. The legs on the carter pin can get spread out a little and make it a pain to re install. Solution is to take a pair of plies and squeeze them together again. Simple :rolleyes:

beast556
12-14-2008, 8:14 AM
The Military switched from the solid pins for a reason, They break. Once the cotter pin gets a little tweaked it can sometimes be a pain to put in but should not be hard to put in. I just keep twisting it when I put it back in and never have much hassel.

Ballistic043
12-14-2008, 8:19 AM
you should be able to remove it with the tip of a bullet (lift it up). the bolt carrier group (cotter pin, extractor) was designed that way. if you cant there's something wrong. try rotating it as push in/pull out

i would not reccomend mashing the cotter pin. you want it to keep some retention without falling out the side when you take the BCG out.

keep the original cotter pin design, dont fall for the crap out there!

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 8:59 AM
you should be able to remove it with the tip of a bullet (lift it up). the bolt carrier group (cotter pin, extractor) was designed that way. if you cant there's something wrong. try rotating it as push in/pull out

i would not reccomend mashing the cotter pin. you want it to keep some retention without falling out the side when you take the BCG out.

keep the original cotter pin design, dont fall for the crap out there!

The cotter pin is not the original design, The KNS is the original TYPE. The cotter pin was used as a replacement when the soild pins broke to often.

As for squeezeing the cotter pin back to shape, it will still provide tention if not overdone, as in squeeze not mash. If it is over done it is a simple matter to open the end up with a flat blade insturment.

Ballistic043
12-14-2008, 9:56 AM
perhaps you mis understood

i said keep the original cotter pin design..

did KNS create cotter pins?

Blacktail 8541
12-14-2008, 1:35 PM
I think you do not understand, the cotter pin is NOT original to the m16, the solid pin type as reproduced by kns is.