PDA

View Full Version : Check out what I found on democractic underground about AW ban!

aileron
12-13-2008, 9:57 PM
So, im browsing looking for information on fixing feeding problems with .22 weapons, and particularly if anyone has tried to figure out why the spikes tactical only works with certain types of .22 ammo. About the fourth page in, I come across a mention of the AW ban, and that it probably wont happen.

This is from early 2008 and its democrats talking about it.

Good read... lots of mention about how the first one hurt them, they are pretty darn cognizant of the facts, and that the press and certain dems are clueless :D... here is one post just to wet your appetite.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x159983

They only made up a minority of rifle sales and there were only about 3 companies making them. Today, they are mainstream rifles- accepted into the firearms community. Instead of 3 companies making them there are about 8 now. Isntead of being the minority of rifle sales they are the majority.

with that in mind do you think we will really see another federal assault weapons ban?
Far more than 8; at least 33 companies make AR-15's for the U.S. civilian market, if I count correctly. Here is a quick list of manufacturers who make civilian AR-15's, pulled from the BATFE website. This list includes only the ones I was personally able to verify make/sell AR's, i.e. by finding their website and looking at their catalog; there may be more. Some are mass-market (Remington, Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, etc.) and some make only small numbers of very expensive, high-end AR's (Wilson, Les Baer, Barrett, McMillan).

Remington Arms Co Inc, NY (yes, the Remington)
DPMS Inc, MN
Bushmaster Firearms International LLC, ME
Stag Arms LLC, CT
Rock River Arms Inc, IL (my dream rifle is a RRA LAR-15 Elite CAR A4)
Armalite Inc, IL
Kimber Mfg Inc, NY
Colt Defense LLC, CT
Olympic Arms Inc, WA
Vulcan Arms Inc, MN
Smith & Wesson Corp, MA (yes, the Smith & Wesson)
Aero Precision Inc, WA
Barrett Firearms Mfg Inc, TN (better known for their large-caliber precision rifles, but they make AR's too, and were among the first on the market with a 6.8mm upper)
Double Star Corp, KY
D C Industries Inc, MN
Superior Arms, Inc, IA
Lauer, Steven Michael, WI
CMMG Inc, MO
Ameetec Arms Llc, AZ
DS Arms Inc, IL
Sabre Defence Industries Llc, TN
High Standard Manufacturing Co Inc, TX
Cobb Manufacturing Inc, GA
Cavalry Arms Corp, AZ
Wilsons Gun Shop Inc, AR
Lewis Machine & Tool Co, IL
Lawton Machine LLC, MT
Spike's Tactical LLC, FL
McMillan Bros Rifle Co Inc, AZ
Wilson Tactical LLC, AR
SNS Industries Inc, WA
JP Enterprises Inc, MN
LWRC, VA

Yes, AR's are mainstream; they are not only the most popular centerfire target rifle in America, but they are the most popular defensive carbine as well, and .223 Remington (most common AR caliber) is the leading rifle caliber in the U.S. in terms of annual sales. BTW, the AR-15 platform is collectively probably the single most popular centerfire rifle in America in terms of annual sales, but no single rifle model constitutes a majority of sales (the market is too broad). The AR-15 is only one of many "black rifle" models out there, and of course hunting rifles and precision rifles are popular as well.

Having said that, the MSM is still as clueless as ever about the popularity of small-caliber rifles (most editors seem to still be stuck in a "gun owner = hunter" paradigm) and vastly overestimate their misuse, so they'll probably continue to push for bans for a while. But considering the backlash against the 1994 Feinstein law that didn't even ban any guns, and given the sharp increase in AR popularity since 1993 or so, I think any serious attempts at a new ban would be politically suicidal a la 1994, and I am hopeful that party strategists realize that this time.

http://www.odcmp.com/Photos/07/EJrHPClinic/pic00028_std.jpg

That is such a cool picture of a really cool AR.

tankerman
12-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Never knew you could be mainstream website and be an underground organization at the same time.

Bet those liberal losers feel like real rebels when the log onto that "undergound" website::clown::laugh:

Zebra
12-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes.

And this is a good thing!

Frank

nick
12-13-2008, 10:45 PM
AW ban doesn't seem like much of a political suicide in CA though :(

CCWFacts
12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
His points are correct. The AR-15 went from an exotic niche weapon 15 years ago to being the mainstream centerfire rifle today. Remington and S&W and Kimber are selling them. It's too late to ban it. It's sort of like the PC computer architecture. Everyone uses it because there are so many parts for it, and there are so many parts for it because everyone uses it.

Obama isn't going to be able to get an AWB but he may be able to appoint some nutty "living document" types to the Supreme Court. That's the unfortunate thing that we have to look forward to.

Zebra
12-13-2008, 10:53 PM
AW ban doesn't seem like much of a political suicide in CA though :(

Dunno, just look around you. Things have changed a little, even here in CA.

Frank

nick
12-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Dunno, just look around you. Things have changed a little, even here in CA.

Frank

They didn't change because the morons in Sacramento got replaced. Things changed mainly due to the said morons' incompetence, and other people's brightness. However, the morons still get elected and re-elected.

JDoe
12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by nick View Post
AW ban doesn't seem like much of a political suicide in CA though Dunno, just look around you. Things have changed a little, even here in CA.

Frank

I'll say! I just took a defensive pistol class and the guy standing next to me is a Democrat, never owned a gun until just after the election that he voted Democrat in. Now he has a $1,900 - 1911 and a Ruger 14 that he got because he senses "something in the air" and ummm now that he's tried this shooting thing, he thinks it's a lot of fun.

Zebra
12-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Things changed mainly due to the said morons' incompetence, and other people's brightness.
Agreed, things have changed due to 'other people's brightness'. It maybe wishful thinking, but I don't expect AWs to be an issue any 'moron' can ride on - even here in CA. I do think we made a lot of progress and will continue to do so.

Frank

M. Sage
12-13-2008, 11:43 PM
So wait, you want to find out why your gun doesn't work properly and you go to DU? That's like coming here hoping to find out more about why universal health coverage is a good idea, isn't it? :p

rayra
12-13-2008, 11:50 PM
What an odd topic / batch of assumptions.

Slayer
12-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Secession is our friend

Model X
12-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Secession is our friend

Secession is only legal if you can withstand the ensuing war. :p

sb_pete
12-14-2008, 12:50 AM
So wait, you want to find out why your gun doesn't work properly and you go to DU? That's like coming here hoping to find out more about why universal health coverage is a good idea, isn't it? :p

So, im browsing looking for information on fixing feeding problems with .22 weapons... About the fourth page in, I come across a mention of the AW ban, and that it probably wont happen....

Sounds like he was doing a google search or some other search engine and found this page while browsing through the results four pages into the search.;)

Theseus
12-14-2008, 2:08 AM

But universal health care is a good idea. . . I believe that there are three VERY basic things we as people are required to do for the betterment of us as people. Feed the hungry, take care of your sick, and provide shelter.

And I am not talking about deadbeats that just don't want to do it themselves. . . I mean for people that don't have the physical or mental capacity to care for themselves.

But I digress and realize this isn't the place for it. . . And I am waiting for the poo flinging! :gunsmilie:

SOneThreeCoupe
12-14-2008, 7:14 AM
The people are not required to take care of the people. The people are required to take care of themselves. The people do not have ANY obligation to take care of any other people. I live my life separate of theirs. The good of the collective is immaterial.

We cannot sit here and claim that gun control is only a Democratic ideal. Romney, Giuliani, McCain all voted for, passed, or campaigned for gun control.

The right to self defense is not red or blue. Until we, as gun owners, learn to preach to those least likely to listen, we will not have the support of the whole.

nobs11
12-14-2008, 7:34 AM
The good of the collective is immaterial.

Yes, because the free market provides for roads and hospitals.

Extreme individualism works best when you are living in a bubble. For real life situation, a balance is necessary. You are a product of your ancestors, environment and a large number of complex interactions.

6172crew
12-14-2008, 7:49 AM
They missed a few...dozen:D

tetris
12-14-2008, 3:08 PM
And I am not talking about deadbeats that just don't want to do it themselves. . . I mean for people that don't have the physical or mental capacity to care for themselves.

Its called evolution. Look it up. They were meant to die.

DSA_FAL
12-14-2008, 4:39 PM
Anyone else find it funny that an ad for Front Sight was at the bottom of the page?

Zebra
12-14-2008, 4:44 PM
Anyone else find it funny that an ad for Front Sight was at the bottom of the page?

That ad was custom made for you! I get a 'code3tactical.com' ad.

Brave new world, eh?

Frank

dw33b
12-14-2008, 7:43 PM
Its called evolution. Look it up. They were meant to die.

Not everyone beleive in the so called THEORY of evolution.

12-14-2008, 7:59 PM

Nice catch, Sage! :D

Sarkoon
12-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Not everyone beleive in the so called THEORY of evolution.

Either my sarcasm detection is lacking this morning, or you are a moron. Scientific theories are based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, and they have been tested and confirmed. The theory of gravity for example, is also a scientific theory, even if you decide not to believe in it.

MKE
12-15-2008, 1:08 PM
Universal healthcare - while this sounds like a good idea, will put a steep burden on cost of care, quality of care and will severely impact not only health insurance companies, but also the currently insured.

With the enormous amount of the population to cover, our existing hospitals and physicians would be overwhelmed. Try getting a routine check or non-emergency appointment.