PDA

View Full Version : Which OLL and why??

Norcalkid
12-13-2008, 3:55 PM
I am thinking of building an AR15. Scoped with a longer FF barrel. Kind of a mid-range gun. I canít afford an AR10 and donít want to pay for the ammo. If you were to build something like this what lower would you use and why? I will not be making the purchase for a few months but I would like to start researching now. And perhaps get on a waitlist or order now. What are the most desirable and best quality lowers in your opinion and why? I did do a search and have been doing a lot of reading. But it seems most are just buying what they can get their hands on. I would like to be a little more selective than this. By the way I do have a 16 inch Bushmaster so this is not completely new to me. I would just like to have a short range pinker and a longer range gun with out switching around parts.

Thanks for the help

technique
12-13-2008, 3:58 PM
A lower is a lower is a lower......With the exception of a few.

Common in my area are.

Aircraft Armament.
Sun devil
CMMG
Stag
Highstandard
Noveske
RRA

to name a few.

Get an upper from a reputable company. Order one from one of the site sponsors...they don't carry junk.

Norcalkid
12-13-2008, 4:07 PM
Then why is there such a difference in price between them? I have noticed some are regularly about $50 more than others.

technique
12-13-2008, 4:10 PM
your paying for cool factor and its not the best of times right now to be looking for this kind of stuff, prices are kinda high in some places.

Noveske lowers are a good example of cool factor. They have a desirable logo.

eric1972
12-13-2008, 4:12 PM
Some people who are cautious will avoid Rock River Arms or any of the companies with banned ARs so as to avoid any confusion. Just depends on your level of comfort.

JohnnyRooks
12-13-2008, 4:15 PM
just called one of the gunstore in the bay area and they are selling n6 noveske for $520 including DROS and tax.. crap.. thats too much for a stripped lower..

technique
12-13-2008, 4:17 PM
just called one of the gunstore in the bay area and they are selling n6 noveske for $520 including DROS and tax.. crap.. thats too much for a stripped lower..

Ehh... it is a .308. including tax and DROS thats not really all that bad.

Norcalkid
12-13-2008, 4:20 PM
your paying for cool factor and its not the best of times right now to be looking for this kind of stuff, prices are kinda high in some places.

Noveske lowers are a good example of cool factor. They have a desirable logo.

I donít really need it right now. I know itís not the best time. I thought about just ordering a Stag for $125 off the website. Figuring it will be here by the time I am ready to build. But I might just order something off gunbroker.com. I just wasnít sure about some of the brands available on there. It looks like a lesser known brand can be picked up for around $150.

Norcalkid
12-13-2008, 4:23 PM
Some people who are cautious will avoid Rock River Arms or any of the companies with banned ARs so as to avoid any confusion. Just depends on your level of comfort.

Iím not worried about that. I regularly shoot my bushmaster no BB with 30 round mags without hassle. Though I do carry a copy of the reg. letter just in case.

technique
12-13-2008, 4:37 PM
I donít really need it right now. I know itís not the best time. I thought about just ordering a Stag for $125 off the website. Figuring it will be here by the time I am ready to build. But I might just order something off gunbroker.com. I just wasnít sure about some of the brands available on there. It looks like a lesser known brand can be picked up for around $150.

Yeah I understand. Who knows when the panic buying will end though.

Don't forget, if you order online that the dealer you send it to may charge you a transfer fee. Could be $50-$75 or $100 on top of what you paid.

Arkalius
12-13-2008, 4:52 PM
I don’t really need it right now. I know it’s not the best time. I thought about just ordering a Stag for $125 off the website. Figuring it will be here by the time I am ready to build. But I might just order something off gunbroker.com. I just wasn’t sure about some of the brands available on there. It looks like a lesser known brand can be picked up for around $150.

Keep in mind that Stag won't ship to a CA FFL. If you want a Stag lower you have to buy from somewhere else that will ship here. My guess is that Stag doesn't want to deal with the CFLC crap that CA demands.

technique
12-13-2008, 4:53 PM
Keep in mind that Stag won't ship to a CA FFL. If you want a Stag lower you have to buy from somewhere else that will ship here. My guess is that Stag doesn't want to deal with the CFLC crap that CA demands.

Stag didn't ship to CA prior to the CFLC.

Experimentalist
12-13-2008, 5:02 PM
As an unfortunate owner of two Vulcan lowers, I strongly recommend you stay away from that brand.

I've made mine work, but it took some quality time with a Dremel tool.

And their ad has the guts to claim "The best built firearms in the World".

Avoid Vulcan.

Blacktail 8541
12-13-2008, 6:22 PM
Pick the roll mark you like the best and get it. Although not Mil spec, billet seem to be sought after a little more for presision builds due to supposedlt tighter tolerances being held.

River Jack
12-13-2008, 6:28 PM
I like Mega, Sun Devil, Noveski, and Spikes.

DB2
12-13-2008, 6:32 PM
I want to find a Ratworxs. I have used Stag and Double Star. I built one on an Essential Arms for a friend. It seems to work fine.

Glock Fan
12-13-2008, 6:49 PM
I was about to purchase a noveske lower stripped from lanworldinc after transfer ffes and everything it was going to be like 290 bucks, i ended up buying a CMMG stripped at a local gun shop for 150 bucks total, after fees and everything. and there is no difference at all. all those prices are before all the panic buying started though!!! i ended up canceling the noveske order and going with the CMMG. i am very glad i canceled! saved alot of money. from my understanding there are 3 major manf. that make the mil spec lowers and they are all the same. just a different stamp for the companies name. good luck!

Phil3
12-13-2008, 11:20 PM

I just bought my Noveske N6 for $523 out the door, which is pricey to be sure, but better than what another local store is charging, which was $525 before tax or DROS.

- Phil