PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought/used the Green Laser from NC Star?

Bill92869
12-12-2008, 4:19 PM
Saw a demo outside at the local Airsoft store of a green laser device from NC Star and WOW that baby was bright and visible from waaaay off in the distance! I'm thinking of picking one up just to have it but would appreciate some feedback first. I know you get what you pay for, that's why my SHTF gun has an Eotec sight. I would never buy "optics" or a sight for a defense gun from a cheapis company, but a laser is another animal.

Shane916
12-12-2008, 4:29 PM
Lasers are useless but if you like the way it looks then go for it.

dchang0
12-12-2008, 4:30 PM
Yes, and don't get it. The windage/elevation adjustments are so crappy that it's really hard to zero it, and then it doesn't stay zeroed. Worse, the wires for the remote switch broke internally, and I had to resolder them. I put it on an airsoft gun. Get the Lasermax instead.

Casual Observer
12-12-2008, 5:36 PM
The fact an airsoft store is selling it should tell you something.

For a civilian, they're basically useless for any real practical application, but they *do* look cool.

tenpercentfirearms
12-12-2008, 6:01 PM
I have sold a couple and I have some in the shop. Man it sure is impressive not on a gun. I have no idea how they actually perform. Lasers are not my thing, but man that one is cool.

badicedog
12-12-2008, 6:18 PM
Lasers are useless, the fact that you can see if from far off away....Well 'they' can see you too! It doesn't zero, the wires or pressure pad is crap. Just crappy, crappy, crappy Although you could use it as a laser pointer for a presentation or to piss people off at the theater....lol

7222 Hawker
12-12-2008, 7:19 PM
Never used this particular one but I have to disagree that lasers are useless. It depends on what you are using it for. In Iraq, they were used more for pointing out where someone was looking/where to direct fire and for that - the green lasers were great. I have a laser max guide rod laser on my SIG 229 and it is great. Not the answer to someone who doesn't train without it but can have intimidation factor persuasion.

badicedog
12-12-2008, 8:00 PM
I do agree that there is military applications for laser/IR lasers. Pointing out an enemy position or the intimidation factor, but for civilian use? I guess if you're into the 'tacti-cool' stuff, sure why not. As for me, light and fast is the way to go. I hate loading useless stuff on my rifle that is not necessary. I just don't see lasers as a redundant system. A properly adjusted BUIS and a red dot optic... maybe a weapon light. After all most here are civilians. Even so, that specific laser is a POS... just my 2 cents worth.

223andme
12-12-2008, 8:33 PM
The fact an airsoft store is selling it should tell you something.

For a civilian, they're basically useless for any real practical application, but they *do* look cool.

Seems to me that you guys sell the NcStar green laser don't you? I was going to get one, as I figured if you sold one it must be o.k....is it not? When used at night, lasers and night vision work very well together as aiming devices.

7222 Hawker
12-12-2008, 8:59 PM
I do agree that there is military applications for laser/IR lasers. Pointing out an enemy position or the intimidation factor, but for civilian use? I guess if you're into the 'tacti-cool' stuff, sure why not. As for me, light and fast is the way to go. I hate loading useless stuff on my rifle that is not necessary. I just don't see lasers as a redundant system. A properly adjusted BUIS and a red dot optic... maybe a weapon light. After all most here are civilians. Even so, that specific laser is a POS... just my 2 cents worth.

Hey look, I'm no hero and no badass but what I can can you from real life experience is this - ... when it happens for real, you lose almost all of your hearing and most of your vision. Things go into slow motion and the spit sucks out of your mouth. Sight picture is the last thing on your mind and if a green or red dot can help you to maintain when to sqeeze, its a good thing. Anyone who's been through it disagree?

Josh3239
12-12-2008, 9:01 PM
I am not a fan of lasers and I am definetly not a fan of NcStar - their stuff is junk.

dchang0
12-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey look, I'm no hero and no badass but what I can can you from real life experience is this - ... when it happens for real, you lose almost all of your hearing and most of your vision. Things go into slow motion and the spit sucks out of your mouth. Sight picture is the last thing on your mind and if a green or red dot can help you to maintain when to sqeeze, its a good thing. Anyone who's been through it disagree?

I haven't been through it in real life, but research on SWAT and military use of the lasers shows both good and bad consequences.

The good: in low-light scenarios, scores are consistently higher when lasers are turned on versus lasers turned off

The bad: people can become dependent on lasers, waiting crucial milliseconds to confirm that they've "painted" the target before pulling the trigger

Looks like training is absolutely necessary to make proper use of lasers...

Steve O
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I like them for fast running raccoons!

Lite'em up and watch them explode!

Capt. Speirs
12-13-2008, 1:23 AM
I bought one for Airsoft for $80.00, it is cool but it is also junk for "real steel". You are right it is very bright and it is cool when there is enough moisture in the atmosphere to see the beam.

Ballistic043
12-13-2008, 4:07 AM
i would spend an extra few bucks and get the laser max module

http://www.lasermax.com/category.php?id=107

i like how small and compact they are. nothing too fancy or huge to take up the entire rail.

badicedog
12-13-2008, 4:47 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just wouldn't bet my life on the NCstar POS. If you want a laser, green, red, IR...Spend the money, go with Insight Tech, surefire or another quality manufacturer. My other point was the more electronic 'gadgets' you become accustomed to, the more chances of that piece of electronics might fail under a fire fight/high stress situations. And I'm not new to the rodeo...

workinwifdakids
12-13-2008, 7:56 AM
AimShot may be a good compromise.

ROCKETW19
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM

LOL, I dont think no one can argue with real life experance.
You may not need a laser for shooting paper, But it seems it will help in REAL LIFE. I dont have one but I wont knock someone that does.

Bill92869
12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Lasermax $399 plus another $59 for a pressure switch? $458 for a novelty item? I think I'll try the NC Star. If it's junk it goes back for a refund. If I like it and feel it's something to add to my SHTF weapon, I will step-up and buy a quality unit. Thanks to all the replies, they were all helpful in one way or another.

Ballistic043
12-13-2008, 10:28 AM
i find it funny you compare a cheap chinese nc star to a well made unit and then call it a novelty piece. perhaps that title belongs to the former..

whatever. you can buy once and buy nice, or buy cheap and buy twice. i learned the hard way as well though

Bill92869
12-13-2008, 1:44 PM
No you miss read me. Having a laser at this point in time would be a novelty. If after experimenting with it I find/feel that is desirable or even necessary item to have, then I would step-up and pay the price for a quality unit.

Ballistic043
12-14-2008, 7:40 AM
you're rolling a snowball down a mountain!

skip the NC star, buy something like pentagon or surefire. if you dont like it, or if you think you wasted your money or its not anything more than 'novelty', as you stated, then you can get your money back and be done with it. just as you would have done with the NC star. but this way you dont have to get a new laser later; because if you like it then you simply keep it.

Bill92869
12-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I couldn't restrain myself. I got the NC Star green laser, worked out to less than $80 when I offered cash and bought some items my wife wanted. I've been playing with it, my boys really liked it and wanted to put it on their airsofts, the neighbors think it's cool too! It does look like it will hold up under minor use and so now I may look to get a "real one" for my SHTF gun. Thanks to all for your wisdom and help.

Army
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
NC Star is Chinese crap that even the Chinese won't use.

My Aries 250w was a big hit in Al Kut. I could light up buildings in town, well over a mile away. SF group would get reports of the green light from the Americans.

good times...good times

1lostinspace
12-24-2008, 2:42 PM
Nc star is crap

akjunkie
12-24-2008, 8:02 PM
I have no experience with UTG's laser system.. saw this last week when i bought some stuff from Area51.

thought i share it with U, but it seems U bought the NcStar already.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1426

EBR Works
12-24-2008, 8:51 PM
I have tried several NCStar products. The first scope I purchased lasted exactly one week. I was sent a replacement that was defective right out of the box. I returned it and had them send me another equivalent model. That one was also defective out of the box. I ended up spending a bunch of money on shipping for that fiasco.

I ended up tripling my optics budget for that project and bought an American made optic by Burris. Not top of the line, but it has performed flawlessly.

No more Chinese optics for me.....ever.

cfm117
12-24-2008, 8:59 PM
If you are going to get one, dont go cheap. Beamshot is probably one of the best in the industry. I got the Greenbeam 2000. Kinda pricey but it has windage and elevation settings that dont break loose, and its the most powerful green laser available atm. Good out to 1 mile.

http://www.beamshot.com/index.html

EBR Works
12-24-2008, 9:04 PM
If you are going to get one, dont go cheap. Beamshot is probably one of the best in the industry. I got the Greenbeam 2000. Kinda pricey but it has windage and elevation settings that dont break loose, and its the most powerful green laser available atm. Good out to 1 mile.

http://www.beamshot.com/index.html

I have one as well. Love it!