PDA

View Full Version : Legal To Own/Possess 30 Round Mags?

dart368
12-12-2008, 7:20 AM
I know law enforcement can purchase 30 round mags, but can they then be given or sold to civilians?

What if the civilian has one in his/her possession? Would they get jammed up?

dreyna14
12-12-2008, 7:27 AM
They can't be sold, loaned, transferred, or imported into CA. However, if you legally possessed them before 2000, they're legal to possess.

thefifthspeed
12-12-2008, 7:33 AM
They can't be sold, loaned, transferred, or imported into CA. However, if you legally possessed them before 2000, they're legal to possess.

"Manufacture" is in there too.

Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices).

civilsnake
12-12-2008, 8:06 AM
If you owned 5 30 round magazines prior to 2000, you can still only have those 5 today. There is no legal means to transfer a 30 rounder to you after that date unless you fall under a special category, which it seems you do not.

The law doesn't cover finding, though, so if you happen to see one on the side of the road, you could take it and it would be legal. Of course, giving that story to the DOJ might not be all that useful.

soopafly
12-12-2008, 8:12 AM
I know law enforcement can purchase 30 round magscorrect

but can they then be given or sold to civiliansno

What if the civilian has one in his/her possession?possession is not controlled

Would they get jammed up?depends on what you mean by "jammed up" and how well versed the LEO is with the relevant penal code

And to answer the topic title, yes, it is currently legal to own/possess "large capacity magazines" in the state of California. How/when they were acquired is what can get you into trouble.

tommyid1
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
And to answer the topic title, yes, it is currently legal to own/possess "large capacity magazines" in the state of California. How/when they were acquired is what can get you into trouble.

But the burden of proof is on them to prove you didnít own them before 2000. And no you donít need to carry around receipts or anything. But even still ive known some Leos who tell me unequivocally that all 30 rd mags are illegal and if he sees someone with them then he seizes them. Iíve tried to explain even cited law to no avail. So just incase, im not saying anything will happen to you, but if it does, donít be surprised if they take them.

dart368
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the answers. I am so glad I found this site. A wealth of knowledge here. :punk:

Sniper3142
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
But even still ive known some Leos who tell me unequivocally that all 30 rd mags are illegal and if he sees someone with them then he seizes them. Iíve tried to explain even cited law to no avail.

Can you please tell us what area / department this idiot is serving in?

It sounds like he needs an education.

kgb_m3
12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
My cousin is a police officer, we tried ordering high capacity mags for the 10/22 and no one will ship them here. So how would he go about getting a high capacity mag since he is in the law enforcement.

Also if someone was to acquire high capacity mag illegally and was to get caught shooting it by say a ranger, is it straight handcuffs you're going to jail, or they just take them and give you a nice lecture? How are the gun range employees, do they question how and where you got one, or just let you go on with your day no matter what mag you're using?

Sniper3142
12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
My cousin is a police officer, we tried ordering high capacity mags for the 10/22 and no one will ship them here. So how would he go about getting a high capacity mag since he is in the law enforcement.

He will probably have to go thru his department to get them.

Also if someone was to acquire high capacity mag illegally and was to get caught shooting it by say a ranger, is it straight handcuffs you're going to jail, or they just take them and give you a nice lecture? How are the gun range employees, do they question how and where you got one, or just let you go on with your day no matter what mag you're using?

If they illegally obtained them, a trip to jail will probably be in their future.

If you legally have high capacity magazines however, Range employees (and cops for that matter) have no legal right questioning you about something that is totally legal for people to posses. If you legally have high capacity magazines, there is no requirement to have any paperwork or proof showing when you obtained them.

If you legally have em, use em without fear.

:)

tommyid1
12-12-2008, 12:52 PM

works in the east bay. he is a buddy of mines friend that i met at a bbq over the summer.

kgb_m3
12-12-2008, 1:29 PM
He will probably have to go thru his department to get them.

If they illegally obtained them, a trip to jail will probably be in their future.

If you legally have high capacity magazines however, Range employees (and cops for that matter) have no legal right questioning you about something that is totally legal for people to posses. If you legally have high capacity magazines, there is no requirement to have any paperwork or proof showing when you obtained them.

If you legally have em, use em without fear.

:)

Well that somewhat makes sense, so how do people get in trouble then? If there is no requirement for paperwork or real physical proof and they don't specifically harass you, I don't really see a way to get busted. Only you know if the mag's been acquired before the ban or after. Am I missing something?

tommyid1
12-12-2008, 1:49 PM
dont do anything illegal its tempting but dont do it.

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 2:45 PM
How are the gun range employees, do they question how and where you got one, or just let you go on with your day no matter what mag you're using?

My local range's official policy is that if they see anybody with an "assault weapon," then they assume that it's registered. No fuss.

bohoki
12-12-2008, 2:48 PM
we can purchase them we just have to find someone who can legally sell them

domokun
12-12-2008, 2:50 PM
Please see here for the details on this matter:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1590188&postcount=1

kgb_m3
12-12-2008, 3:27 PM
we can purchase them we just have to find someone who can legally sell them

No one can legally sell them.

Prohibited actions:

* manufacture or cause to be manufactured
* import into the state
* keep for sale
* offer or expose for sale
* give
* lend

I'm trying to figure out how people get caught and what are the consequences. For example if you smoke weed or do a line of coke in front of a cop, you're obviously are getting in trouble. With the high capacity mags it's a different situation, the cop/ranger/law enforcement/etc doesn't know if you acquired the mag prior or after the ban stick was issued. So him assuming and harassing you wouldn't be fair to those that did in fact get it prior to ban. Where are the boundaries? I understand that the best safest thing is to stick to 10 and under, but not everyone is going to follow the law and it's good to know more detail about what your rights and arguments could be if one was to get caught.

BTW does anyone know the reason why we can't have more than 10 in cali, but 4 hours east in AZ you can have how ever many. What is the whole point of this law? I recently got back into the gun hobby that I abandoned prior to the 2000 ban, would be nice to know what happened since then.

GMONEY
12-12-2008, 3:32 PM
Well that somewhat makes sense, so how do people get in trouble then? If there is no requirement for paperwork or real physical proof and they don't specifically harass you, I don't really see a way to get busted. Only you know if the mag's been acquired before the ban or after. Am I missing something?

Well some mags were not around before the ban correct? Like when did Magpul start making the pmags?

kgb_m3
12-12-2008, 3:36 PM
Well some mags were not around before the ban correct? Like when did Magpul start making the pmags?

Yes, that's absolutely correct. i.e. TI mags for 10/22 weren't out back then, so seems like it would come down to the knowledge of the official, which is still gray area.

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 3:40 PM

Yes, but technically, you could replace all the parts of a pre-ban high-cap mag with PMAG parts, and then have a legal PMAG.

Really, enforcement is virtually impossible. There's nothing really stopping you from buying high-cap magazines out of state and bringing them back (or mail-ordering "rebuilt kits"), and you'd have to do something obnoxious to get caught.

As for WTF happened in California (and didn't happen elsewhere) since 2000, you're not the only one who "abandoned" his rights.
We all did, and our stupid legislature passed these dumb laws.

domokun
12-12-2008, 3:57 PM
Yes, but technically, you could replace all the parts of a pre-ban high-cap mag with PMAG parts, and then have a legal PMAG.

Really, enforcement is virtually impossible. There's nothing really stopping you from buying high-cap magazines out of state and bringing them back (or mail-ordering "rebuilt kits"), and you'd have to do something obnoxious to get caught.

As for WTF happened in California (and didn't happen elsewhere) since 2000, you're not the only one who "abandoned" his rights.
We all did, and our stupid legislature passed these dumb laws.

If you DID NOT have any pre-ban magazines now, you cannot legally import, assemble or manufacture any new/additional ones at this time. Please DO NOT assemble rebuild kits into working magazines as that is prohibited by law.

However if you do have some pre-ban magazines, rebuild them with any compatible parts for those magazines you want to use provided that you don't have more assembled magazines than you originally started at any time.

bohoki
12-12-2008, 4:19 PM

Prohibited actions:

* import into the state
* keep for sale
* give
* lend

I'm trying to figure out how people get caught and what are the consequences. For example if you smoke weed or do a line of coke in front of a cop, you're obviously are getting in trouble. With the high capacity mags it's a different situation, the cop/ranger/law enforcement/etc doesn't know if you acquired the mag prior or after the ban stick was issued. So him assuming and harassing you wouldn't be fair to those that did in fact get it prior to ban. Where are the boundaries? I understand that the best safest thing is to stick to 10 and under, but not everyone is going to follow the law and it's good to know more detail about what your rights and arguments could be if one was to get caught.

BTW does anyone know the reason why we can't have more than 10 in cali, but 4 hours east in AZ you can have how ever many. What is the whole point of this law? I recently got back into the gun hobby that I abandoned prior to the 2000 ban, would be nice to know what happened since then.

you forget the armored car buisness exception

if you work for an armored car buisness they may order magazines for their employees (or anybody they please)to keep

hoffmang
12-12-2008, 4:45 PM
The statute of limitations for the crime of importing or manufacturing a large-capacity magazine is three years so you had to own or possess them in California before November 2005 actually.

-Gene

sorensen440
12-12-2008, 4:46 PM
The statute of limitations for the crime of importing or manufacturing a large-capacity magazine is three years so you had to own or possess them in California before November 2005 actually.

-Gene

that's very interesting to know

GMONEY
12-12-2008, 5:06 PM
One more thing even if you have a pre-ban full cap mag you cannot attach it to an OLL otherwise it's an AW... Unless of course you go to AZ or NV and shoot. Re-Assemble the mag as soon as you cross over and then Dis-Assemble before you go back to CA. ;)

bbc1969
12-12-2008, 5:16 PM
One more thing even if you have a pre-ban full cap mag you cannot attach it to an OLL otherwise it's an AW... Unless of course you go to AZ or NV and shoot. Re-Assemble the mag as soon as you cross over and then Dis-Assemble before you go back to CA. ;)

Correct me if i am wrong, but my pre ban mags I legally owned can be used in my "featureless" OLL build I just completed. That was the whole reason I went with a monsterman grip and left off the other "evil features".

bigkahuna04
12-12-2008, 5:33 PM
you are correct. Featureless is OK for your legal Hi-Cap.

Do Not use any Hi-Cap in a fixed-magazine configured OLL....or else you can be in real trouble.

762cavalier
12-12-2008, 6:19 PM

Prohibited actions:

* import into the state
* keep for sale
* give
* lend
snip...

Uh yes they can. There are FFLs that have high capacity magazine permits to sell them to authorized people in the state.

7222 Hawker
12-12-2008, 8:27 PM

Police supply store will sell them to him with LEO ID. However, to my knowledge, there is no exemption for LEO's as it pertains to Hi Cap rifle mags for an OLL - am I wrong? Over 10 += felony LEO or not.

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 8:53 PM

Uh, not quite, AFAIK.

If you have post-ban high-cap "rebuild kit" mags, then you must disassemble them, but there's no need to disassemble pre-ban mags in CA.

Of course, you can't legally put the pre-ban high-cap mags in an OLL in CA, but you CAN legally keep the pre-ban high-cap mags assembled (and even loaded).

Right?

red2sniper
12-12-2008, 8:58 PM
Well with a letter from the head of their department, LEO's can buy AW's and high cap magazines, but if they are not registered then same laws apply. I bought a Colt le6920 and several 30 round mags for it this year, but my personal OLL is featureless for use with high cap mags.......

7222 Hawker
12-12-2008, 9:19 PM

He's probably new. The word is out in LEO's. Ar's are OK. - Give them some time. Word is spreading quickly. Mostly because they are all happy because they can now buy them themselves! Cops are not against you just because they are cops... most cops are gun nuts themselves. The political ads that say "cops support whoever" are due to Sheriff's who want to get re-elected, not street cops or the guys you would you run into at the range. With that in mind, from an insider's viewpoint - DOJ sucks!

soopafly
12-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Of course, you can't legally put the pre-ban high-cap mags in an OLL in CAThis is incorrect. If you have built any off-list rifle into a legally configured detachable magazine setup, you can use magazines of ANY capacity in that rifle.

sorensen440
12-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Incorrect you can use them in OLL"s without evil features (Like the MMG or u-15)

K57
12-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Incorrect you can use them in OLL"s without evil features (Like the MMG or u-15)

I am new to OLL and I'm getting really confuse here :confused: If I've owned my mag before the year 1999 and right now I own a OLL without one evil feature; ie: (pistol grip, collapsible stock) then I could use my 30 mag with my OLL. right? pls clear this mess up, if can't understand how can I make an LEO go under my belt :cool:

soopafly
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Incorrect you can use them in OLL"s without evil features (Like the MMG or u-15)and MUST, repeat, MUST have a detachable magazine. If a large-capacity magazine(over 10 rounds) is used in conjunction with a magazine fixing device, you trigger an alternate AW definition and the presence/absence of "evil features" does not matter.

Remember, "fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds" in a semi-auto centerfire rifle is an alternate AW definition. Period.

soopafly
12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I am new to OLL and I'm getting really confuse here :confused: If I've owned my mag before the year 1999 and right now I own a OLL without one evil feature; ie: (pistol grip, collapsible stock) then I could use my 30 mag with my OLL. right? pls clear this mess up, if can't understand how can I make an LEO go under my belt :cool:Like I said above, if your rifle is legally configured to accept a detachable magazine, you may use magazines of ANY capacity in that rifle.

K57
12-12-2008, 11:50 PM
OK for the records my AR is not OK since is a fixed configuration so I will keep my mag away at home :ack2: thnks for clearing it up

soopafly
12-13-2008, 12:07 AM
OK for the records my AR is not OK since is a fixed configuration so I will keep my mag away at home :ack2: thnks for clearing it upYes, your FIXED mag CANNOT hold more than 10 rounds. If you still want "the look" vendors that advertise here offer 10 round AR mags that utilize 30 round bodies.

Bimmer2
12-13-2008, 9:28 AM
This is incorrect. If you have built any off-list rifle into a legally configured detachable magazine setup, you can use magazines of ANY capacity in that rifle.

You're absolutely right, Soopafly.

I was thinking of my Raddlock build, and I was really focused on pointing out that it is NOT necessary to disassemble pre-ban mags before returning to California...

Steve O
12-13-2008, 9:45 AM
we sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo need a sticky on this.

Steve O
12-13-2008, 9:52 AM

SELF INCRIMINATION....

red2sniper
12-14-2008, 1:38 PM
I just looked at some of my recently acquired ones.......they all have dates of manufacture on them, the pmags as well as some from brownells

Bimmer2
12-14-2008, 2:00 PM
I just looked at some of my recently acquired ones.......they all have dates of manufacture on them, the pmags as well as some from brownells

I think that date-of-manufacture stamps on magazine bodies are pretty common nowadays.

If you're already in trouble, then I could imagine an LEO scrutinizing your magazines this way. Otherwise, I think that if you're not obnoxious, then it's pretty unlikely that anyone would ever look that closely.

If you did get jammed, the DoJ's letter about this makes it cleaer that you COULD try to argue that you replaced a pre-ban magazine body with one manufactured later.

Given that it's usually the feed lips that wear out first, and since the feed lips can only be replaced by replacing the whole magazine body, it seems not-entirely-unreasonable to have magazines stamped with post-2000 dates.

eric90503
12-14-2008, 3:37 PM
Thank goodness I've got preban reciepts... I've laminated most at kinkos but going to make copies now. Sheesh...They're worth gold now IMO. Not a kid anymore now andnot worth getting busted for these ineffective and stupid laws.

basing110
12-14-2008, 4:03 PM
what about beowulf or socom 458 10 rnd mags? ive heard you can use 30rnd p mags to feed 10rnds of beowulf or socom 458 .. just etch the side of the plastic saying 50beowulf or 458 socom to avoid confusion?

CSACANNONEER
12-14-2008, 5:45 PM

Wrong. Please don't give people legal advise when you don't know what you are talking about! I run standard mags some of my OLLs WHILE IN CALIFORNIA. Just the builds which are not AWs because they don't have any evil features though.

sickboy774
04-16-2009, 1:01 AM
He's probably new. The word is out in LEO's. Ar's are OK. - Give them some time. Word is spreading quickly. Mostly because they are all happy because they can now buy them themselves! Cops are not against you just because they are cops... most cops are gun nuts themselves. The political ads that say "cops support whoever" are due to Sheriff's who want to get re-elected, not street cops or the guys you would you run into at the range. With that in mind, from an insider's viewpoint - DOJ sucks!

Don't forget that the police unions like to speak for all department personnel when they are backing their puppets.

Major Pal
04-16-2009, 4:01 AM
This is so grey, becuse i have a friend who is LE n tried 2 bust a guy 4 having high caps, n eventhough they didnt win it took like $30,000 2 get, it rite

ohsmily
04-16-2009, 8:55 AM
This is so grey,

Nope.

Becuse i have a friend who is LE n tried 2 bust a guy 4 having high caps, n eventhough they didnt win it took like $30,000 2 get, it rite

How do you know how much it took get get the mags back??? Are you friends with the idiot cop who arrested someone for something that isn't a crime? Or are you friends with the people who were (based solely on the info you provided and not accounting for other violations they may have committed) were wrongfully arrested? Are you friends with both parties and that is how you are privy to the information? Are you making this up? ???

BTW, lame necroposting 2 posts up.

high_revs
04-16-2009, 9:59 AM
for those very tempted to test the law... don't mags have serial number or what not that's traceable? or even by design if mfr is asked when it was manufactured? i can see where followers might not indicate this as some rebuild. but isn't there identifying marks to show it was manufactured post-ban?

again, this is something to discourage the tempted ones as i had an idiot friend who contemplated it (key word... had and i now distance myself).

hoffmang
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
for those very tempted to test the law... don't mags have serial number or what not that's traceable?

The short answer to your question is no - magazines generally do not have serial numbers. Also, serial numbers are not dispositive as nothing prevents you from rebuilding an older magazine with new scavanged parts.

-Gene

pbwhite
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
so if i am issued high cap mag. or just regular capacity for all the Marines out there. than i can use them in my personal rifle correct maybe i skipped around to much in this thread:thumbsup:

AndrewMendez
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
so if i am issued high cap mag. or just regular capacity for all the Marines out there. than i can use them in my personal rifle correct maybe i skipped around to much in this thread:thumbsup:

A have a couple of Marine friends, who "found" 30 Rounders...I wouldn't tell any LEO Uncle Sam gave it to me!!:thumbsup:
But if you found it at the range, well then, finders keepers!

domokun
04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
The short answer to your question is no - magazines generally do not have serial numbers. Also, serial numbers are not dispositive as nothing prevents you from rebuilding an older magazine with new scavanged parts.

-Gene

Gene is correct unless SB776 passes and then it might not be true anymore. :TFH:

Pryde
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Police supply store will sell them to him with LEO ID. However, to my knowledge, there is no exemption for LEO's as it pertains to Hi Cap rifle mags for an OLL - am I wrong? Over 10 += felony LEO or not.

This is untrue. There is a lot of misinformation being spread around on this thread.

To the original poster:
If you are an LEO you are exempt from magazine restriction laws and you do not need department letterhead to buy them. There are many dealers online who will ship hi-caps to CA with a scanned or faxed copy of a valid LEO ID which shows your sworn status. A couple good places to try would be copesdistributing, brownells, and 44mag. I have high caps from them in the past with ID.

Amacias805
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
The law doesn't cover finding, though, so if you happen to see one on the side of the road, you could take it and it would be legal. Of course, giving that story to the DOJ might not be all that useful.

actually, you are required by law to make a good faith effort to return the property to the original owner, so if you found one on the side of the road you would have to turn it in to the police station....

after 30 days it would be yours, however since its banned it would be kept by the police

5hundo
04-16-2009, 1:08 PM

Why not? The burden of proof is their responsibility...

ohsmily
04-16-2009, 1:28 PM
actually, you are required by law to make a good faith effort to return the property to the original owner, so if you found one on the side of the road you would have to turn it in to the police station....

after 30 days it would be yours, however since its banned it would be kept by the police

Banned how? Where does it prohibit finding or possessing mags?

Nate74
04-16-2009, 4:16 PM
This topic always sets my head spinning. Has anybody else heard anything along the lines of only using pre-ban mags with the pre-ban rifle it came with?

I received a Mini14 in '93 as a gift and it came with a Ruger factory 20 rounder. I also have a post 2000 Mini14 that came with a 5 rounder. When my dad moved to AZ, I sent him with the 20 rounder just because I was worried about having it hear. But recently was told that if I only used it in the pre-ban rifle it would be OK... so how would a LEO know which of my Mini14s was made in '93 and which one was made in '03...

Better safe than sorry I guess though.

Josh3239
04-16-2009, 4:20 PM
Nate, pre-ban mags can be used in any rifle provided it doesn't create an AW (such as putting a hi cap into a mag locked rifle).

Amacias805
04-16-2009, 6:01 PM
Banned how? Where does it prohibit finding or possessing mags?

i guess technically it doesn't prohibit finding magazines, but i doubt a police dept. would hand it over .

VaderSpade
05-14-2009, 7:53 PM
I have been doing a little research on hi cap mags. I have read through some (not nearly all) of this thread.
I have also checked out this page; http://www.fulton-armory.com/ARMags.htm

I have had an AR-15 since 1982, it is registered, and I have more than my share of 20, and 30 round mags. I was checking out some of the manufactures on the Fulton Armory site. I have mags made by Colt, Center, Okay, Universal, Adventure, Copper, and a few are unmarked.
I found it interesting that the Fulton site list Copper and mags to never buy. Years ago before I knew any of this I set my Coppers aside because they were very tight. I almost threw them away. Now I see that ALL PARTS can be replaced. How does one go about finding bodies for these? I have bought rebuild kits that contain everything else, but I haven’t seen bodies. Is there someone that will ship to CA??
Also it is stated on this thread replaced parts must be disposed of. It seems to me that keeping the old parts is the only way to prove you owned them before the rebuild. Maybe just bend them beyond repair, but keep them??
Another point that seemed to come up often on this thread is the fact that you can “Find” a mag, but that no one would believe you. Well I did find a 30 round mag it was marked police use only or something like that, and had a date code that showed it was from 2003.
Could I have kept it?
My brother works for a company that salvages wrecked cars and rebuilds them, we always look for goodies. We have found everything from sex toys to diamond rings. In this one car we found quick loaders full of .38 shells, and the 30round mag. We figured it belonged to a LEO when it was wrecked.

Anyway any advice would be welcome.

Mssr. Elegantť
05-14-2009, 8:58 PM
How does one go about finding bodies for these? I have bought rebuild kits that contain everything else, but I havenít seen bodies. Is there someone that will ship to CA??

I bought just mag bodies from Brownells and they shipped them to California.

VaderSpade
05-14-2009, 9:37 PM
I bought just mag bodies from Brownells and they shipped them to California.

That's where I got these rebuild kits, but I could not, and still can't find bodies.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=25018&title=AR-15/M16%20HIGH%20CAPACITY%20MAGAZINE%20REBUILD%20KIT%2 0&%20COMPONENTS

What did you use for your search?

Bimmer2
05-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Is there someone that will ship to CA??

44mag.com

Or get a friend in another state to receive them and forward them to you.

Mssr. Elegantť
05-15-2009, 12:01 AM
That's where I got these rebuild kits, but I could not, and still can't find bodies.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=25018&title=AR-15/M16%20HIGH%20CAPACITY%20MAGAZINE%20REBUILD%20KIT%2 0&%20COMPONENTS

What did you use for your search?

The search feature on Brownells web site is pretty bad. But here are the parts numbers for the 20 and 30 round mag bodies...

080-000-478 20-Round Straight Mag Body $12.50

100-001-985 30-Round Mag Body $12.50

But at that price you might as well get the rebuild kits from 44Mag.com and keep the extra parts as spares.

cousinkix1953
05-15-2009, 12:17 AM
But the burden of proof is on them to prove you didn’t own them before 2000. And no you don’t need to carry around receipts or anything. But even still ive known some Leos who tell me unequivocally that all 30 rd mags are illegal and if he sees someone with them then he seizes them. I’ve tried to explain even cited law to no avail. So just incase, im not saying anything will happen to you, but if it does, don’t be surprised if they take them.
Some LEOs will take your magazines: legal or not. Other cops won't even write you up for smoking marijuana: even though the current law requires that an 11357 H&S ticket be written at the minimum. It depends upon whom you are dealing with and the local political climate in that area...

iddie
05-15-2009, 3:50 PM
How about if you were in the military and were deployed. You bought some 30 rounds mags because they are more reliable than the mags issued. Can that legally be brought back to california? Or would one have to give them up?

cousinkix1953
05-16-2009, 5:33 AM
How about if you were in the military and were deployed. You bought some 30 rounds mags because they are more reliable than the mags issued. Can that legally be brought back to california? Or would one have to give them up?
Active duty military might be one exception; because those rifles and magazines are really US Govt. property. That might protect your stash of M-16/M-4 magazines, but high capacity mags for non-military issue weapons might become problematic.

The AWB specifically excludes the .22 caliber rimfire models; but one of the first things the crooked LA county DA did was file AW charges against somebody who was caught with a Ruger 10/22 rifle, almost immediately safter this law went into effect 20 years ago...

B Strong
05-16-2009, 7:07 AM
But the burden of proof is on them to prove you didnít own them before 2000. And no you donít need to carry around receipts or anything. But even still ive known some Leos who tell me unequivocally that all 30 rd mags are illegal and if he sees someone with them then he seizes them. Iíve tried to explain even cited law to no avail. So just incase, im not saying anything will happen to you, but if it does, donít be surprised if they take them.

My attorney's son just graduated from the Academy and is working for a Bay Area department, and he told me that they didn't receive a detailed course of instruction on the legality of pre-2000 high cap mags or OLL rifles.

He's not a boat -rocker, so didn't bring it up, but I'm the one that taught him to shoot initially, and I've passed along the Sac. PD memo and the AW flow chart for his information.

He knew before he enter the Academy what was legal, but how many other young recruits didn't?

ap3572001
05-16-2009, 7:55 AM
If You have several 30 round and 20 round factory ruger mini 14 magazines, Beretta 92 magazines ( 15) that were made SOME TIME ago, DO You have to prove it when You got them? There are TON'S of AR,AK,RUGER, Beretta, SIG,Browning,ETC magazines our there.

sorensen440
05-16-2009, 8:05 AM
If You have several 30 round and 20 round factory ruger mini 14 magazines, Beretta 92 magazines ( 15) that were made SOME TIME ago, DO You have to prove it when You got them? There are TON'S of AR,AK,RUGER, Beretta, SIG,Browning,ETC magazines our there.
Of course you don't

Full Clip
05-16-2009, 10:55 AM
BTW does anyone know the reason why we can't have more than 10 in cali, but 4 hours east in AZ you can have how ever many. What is the whole point of this law?

High-caps are illegal in CA due to CA law.
They are legal in AZ because of AZ law.
The point of the CA law is to make liberal gun haters think they are "making a difference."
What's so hard to understand?

ap3572001
05-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Of course you don't

So , would a 23 year old with a recent production Browning High Power, need to explain why His/Her's pistol has 13 magazine?

40caldeserteagle
05-16-2009, 11:23 AM
So , would a 23 year old with a recent production Browning High Power, need to explain why His/Her's pistol has 13 magazine?

No, you would just have to be quiet. Do not try to explain anything.

David F.

ap3572001
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
No, you would just have to be quiet. Do not try to explain anything.

David F.

So a person (in CA) with an XD.45 Match pistol and a bunch of hi caps for it, would never be questioned ?????

40caldeserteagle
05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
So a person (in CA) with an XD.45 Match pistol and a bunch of hi caps for it, would never be questioned ?????

I didn't say they wouldn't be questioned, I literally said shut your mouth if you do get questioned. THEY have to prove that you either bought them, or were given to you, after 2000. They likely would NOT be able to prove that without reasonable doubt, unless you try to explain how you acquired them. Don't make their job easier.

Also, I *think* the XD came out after 2000, (so it's less likely you had one before 2000) whereas the Hi Power you mentioned before came out a long time ago.

David F.

Full Clip
05-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Take the 5th and make them prove their case.

ap3572001
05-16-2009, 1:00 PM
Take the 5th and make them prove their case.

What I think is that guns like : High Powers , 92FS, P226/P228 Sig's and Some OLDER S&W Autos are good to have around since they were made years and mags for them are all over the place.

Squashua
01-25-2010, 6:53 PM
I over heard a gun dealer talking to a guy saying that nobody born after 1982 can own a hi cap mag in CA no matter what. is this true?

Sniper3142
01-25-2010, 7:11 PM
I over heard a gun dealer talking to a guy saying that nobody born after 1982 can own a hi cap mag in CA no matter what. is this true?

NO.

Joerocker
01-25-2010, 8:57 PM
I allways learn something new and this thread has been full of info. Thanks Calgunners

bigcalidave
01-25-2010, 9:14 PM
Arrrgh, why did this old thread get brought back from the dead! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the dates of the things you read! Check out the calguns wiki for all your answers!

otteray
01-25-2010, 9:51 PM
http://www.stuporduck.com/sounds/DS273.wav

Noah3683
01-26-2010, 11:24 AM
The xd45 wasn't introduced until late 2005 or early 2006. The original hs2000 could be old enough (1999 production date) However, they were only available in 9mm. You would have a real hard time figuring a way to have pre ban mags for any other caliber.

evidens83
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Arrrgh, why did this old thread get brought back from the dead! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the dates of the things you read! Check out the calguns wiki for all your answers!

Chill out its only been 8 months since the last post. Just seems like yesterday ;) Seriously though, people need to look at the last posting before raising the dead. Especially since this topic is brought up every other week anyways...

sorensen440
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
better then starting yet another new thread on the subject IMO

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Fine, if it's better than posting a new thread can the necro poster PLEASE post the name of the gun dealer in question so we can call up the store and find out, maybe educate them? Because ^^^^ is absurdly stupid for anyone to be spreading.

Please check out the wiki !!
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions

ErikTheRed
01-26-2010, 9:32 PM
This is so grey, becuse i have a friend who is LE n tried 2 bust a guy 4 having high caps, n eventhough they didnt win it took like $30,000 2 get, it rite

Just a word of advice (without trying to sound like too much of a butthole): using freshman teenie-bopper text messaging code like that makes you look like..... uh, well, a teenie-bopper. We're talking firearms here, not the latest Hannah Montana song! I think you would probably like to be taken seriously around here, so communicate in such a way that we can take you seriously.

(Sorry, its a peave of mine. And having a teenage daughter qualifies my being peaved.)

Regarding the date-stamped mag bodies, as far as the law is concerned, the dates mean nothing. The only thing those dates indicate is that the mag body itself was manufactured on that date. Replacement magazine bodies are perfectly legal to buy, sell, import, give, or otherwise aquire in the state of California.

DedEye
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey, neat! A new and unique thread from way back on a subject that is novel and original whose questions haven't been asked and answered many times before (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Is_possession_of_a_large_capacity_magazine_ill egal.3F) :D.

Just a word of advice (without trying to sound like too much of a butthole): using freshman teenie-bopper text messaging code like that makes you look like..... uh, well, a teenie-bopper. We're talking firearms here, not the latest Hannah Montana song! I think you would probably like to be taken seriously around here, so communicate in such a way that we can take you seriously.

(Sorry, its a peave of mine. And having a teenage daughter qualifies my being peaved.)

Regarding the date-stamped mag bodies, as far as the law is concerned, the dates mean nothing. The only thing those dates indicate is that the mag body itself was manufactured on that date. Replacement magazine bodies are perfectly legal to buy, sell, import, give, or otherwise aquire in the state of California.

The poster you responded to hasn't posted a message on this forum since the end of September, 2009.

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 11:57 PM
And who do you hate?

DedEye
01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
And who do you hate?

All of you. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ)

ErikTheRed
01-27-2010, 12:48 AM
The poster you responded to hasn't posted a message on this forum since the end of September, 2009.

You're right. I guess nobody took him seriously. ;)

DedEye
01-27-2010, 1:05 AM
You're right. I guess nobody took him seriously. ;)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/213/4/9/O_RLY__Y_SO_SRS__by_Areyu.jpg

Squashua
01-27-2010, 2:43 PM
Jones Fort
(530) 222-3223‎
Redding, Ca

not sure of the name of the guy behind the counter saying that.. so.. yeah.

5150bronco
02-02-2010, 8:49 PM
thanks for the info and help guys.