PDA

View Full Version : FFL costs

Seesm
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I did a search but could not find what the cost "should be" to tranfer from one FFL to another...

What is too much?

I called a few and had a hard time finding on local for me and the guy I did get on the phone seemed to be trying to rich off of me...

Thanks for any answers...

ohsmily
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I did a search but could not find what the cost "should be" to tranfer from one FFL to another...

What is too much?
That is for you to decide.

$75.00 seems reasonable to me. However, my FFL charges 50.00 total. I have seen $150 and higher (i.e. charging a percentage of the cost of the firearm with no cap on it). I would NEVER pay that amount.

I called a few and had a hard time finding on local for me and the guy I did get on the phone seemed to be trying to rich off of me...
Thanks for any answers...

Trust me, he isn't getting rich off of you.

AlliedArmory
12-12-2008, 2:07 AM
where are you located? i pay $50 total in Huntington Beach

lowriderryda
12-12-2008, 7:22 AM
cheapest i found is $100 Eastbay, Norcal

MikeR
12-12-2008, 7:58 AM
Wow that just seems outrageous, i actually pulled out all my paperwork from 10+ years ago and fees were $14. When someone told me recently it was $75 i almost lost it. My exact reaction was "for each one" i guess you get a discount on multiples.

So am i just getting old, crabby and cheap? Im only in my mid 30s lol

96GTS
12-12-2008, 8:04 AM
What shop is this? PM me if you want. I just payed $130 for my 4 stripped lowers ($85 for the first and $15 for each add'l lower)

mikeinla
12-12-2008, 8:35 AM
In Los Angeles at Gun World they charge $100, plus $35 dros, +SALES TAX!!!!!!!!

I asked them about bringing in a gun out of state and doing a transfer and they told me i would have to pay SALE TAX even though I bought the gun out of state. Is this right?????

Lon Moer
12-12-2008, 9:11 AM
In Los Angeles at Gun World they charge $100, plus $35 dros, +SALES TAX!!!!!!!!

I asked them about bringing in a gun out of state and doing a transfer and they told me i would have to pay SALE TAX even though I bought the gun out of state. Is this right?????

They have to charge sales tax on the transfer transaction, not on your item purchase.
If they are charging state tax on the item you purchased out of state, they are cheating.

smokingloon
12-12-2008, 9:28 AM

Which shop is this at?

Arkalius
12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
They have to charge sales tax on the transfer transaction, not on your item purchase.
If they are charging state tax on the item you purchased out of state, they are cheating.

That's not really true... Technically speaking, in California you have to pay a tax to CA for items purchased from out of state. Typically when you do your income tax forms they ask you to report any such purchases so you can pay your taxes. The FFL is within their rights (and I believe they are compelled to do so by DOJ or IRS or something) to charge you tax for the purchase price of any firearms they transfer for you. Some do it, others don't. There was another thread about this somewhere with more information.

As far as fees, the FFL who did my OLL transfer charges the $25 DROS fee, plus $35 transfer fee for the first gun and $10 each additional on the same DROS. So, I payed $65 in fees for doing my two OLLs. He didn't charge me any taxes.

ohsmily
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
The FFL is within their rights (and I believe they are compelled to do so by DOJ or IRS or something) to charge you tax for the purchase price of any firearms they transfer for you. Some do it, others don't. There was another thread about this somewhere with more information.

California Board of Equalization

As far as fees, the FFL who did my OLL transfer charges the $25 DROS fee, plus $35 transfer fee for the first gun and $10 each additional on the same DROS. So, I payed $65 in fees for doing my two OLLs. He didn't charge me any taxes.

That is some pretty fuzzy math right there.

Arkalius
12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe the first gun was $30 then... lol

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 1:50 PM
$50. $25 for the dealer, $25 for the CA DoJ DROS fee.

Shop around.

Futurecollector
12-12-2008, 2:31 PM
i would never pay more than $50 ever,if it keeps going up i just wont buy from that dealer, all they do is send out the copy of their ffl and then receive it, to me its worth maybe 35 bucks tops, with 15 each additional gun.

Seesm
12-12-2008, 2:58 PM
I am Auburn 35 mile out of sacramento they want $100 plus paperwork... Then he asked how muchI paid for gun I told him $425 and he did the math and said I have one of those... I will sell you for $500 WTF He must have saw me coming...

Any ideas local to Auburn, ca? Norcal.... Thanks guys!!

biscuitbarrel
12-12-2008, 3:11 PM
Try this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63050

PIRATE14
12-12-2008, 3:14 PM
i would never pay more than $50 ever,if it keeps going up i just wont buy from that dealer, all they do is send out the copy of their ffl and then receive it, to me its worth maybe 35 bucks tops, with 15 each additional gun.

Geez....that's all..........

freonr22
12-12-2008, 3:30 PM
in the bay area, rogers relics charged $65 complete, they were nice and took care of me, it didnt seem unreasonable for their $40fee

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 6:34 PM

Having just seen my FFL do a long gun transfer, I was impressed at how much work it was for him.
The half-hour or so he had to spend with me and my gun was well worth $25.-.
Given that a handgun is an even bigger PITA, $35.- seems fair.

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 6:36 PM
I am Auburn 35 mile out of sacramento they want $100 plus paperwork... Then he asked how muchI paid for gun I told him $425 and he did the math and said I have one of those... I will sell you for $500 WTF He must have saw me coming...

Any ideas local to Auburn, ca? Norcal.... Thanks guys!!

I'd avoid any further involvement with this scoundrel, except to report him to the BBB.

taloft
12-12-2008, 7:01 PM
Having just seen my FFL do a long gun transfer, I was impressed at how much work it was for him.
The half-hour or so he had to spend with me and my gun was well worth $25.-.
Given that a handgun is an even bigger PITA, $35.- seems fair.I've seen FFL's do the DROS and the 4473 in under 15 minutes. It just depends on how much practice they get.;)
Considering that they have to accept the merchandise, store it in their safe, safe handgun demo, and deal with any BS that comes from all this I can't fault them for charging what they feel is fair. I just choose to shop wisely.

Bimmer2
12-12-2008, 7:09 PM
Considering that they have to accept the merchandise, store it in their safe, safe handgun demo, and deal with any BS that comes from all this I can't fault them for charging what they feel is fair. I just choose to shop wisely.

Yeah, this is what I meant. The paperwork itself was only 10-15 minutes, but the hassle of talking with me on the phone, receiving the receiver, filling out the paperwork, storing it for 10 days, and then filling out the paperwork probably added up to at least a half hour altogether.

Of course, this is a market economy. If I could find somebody to do transfers for $20 or $15 (or better, $5), then I'd happily go there...

ar15barrels
12-12-2008, 8:15 PM

Or they are just following what the BOE told them to do. ;)

ar15barrels
12-12-2008, 8:17 PM
That is some pretty fuzzy math right there.

That's al gore math right there...

$25+$35+$10=$65

eltee
12-13-2008, 7:32 AM
Don't forget that after the sale is concluded there is usually a little MORE paperwork that goes on. The dealer has to update his "bound book" and also document the CFLC approval letter if it was an out of state shipment. Usually they also review the form to be sure all the "i's" are dotted and the "t's" crossed. Plus there may be some internal business paperwork to do as well. Most FFL's also pay a premium for insurance to cover all perils arising from their sale of firearms.

Steve O
12-13-2008, 7:41 AM
Bulls Eye in San Rafael will do it for $150 !!!!