PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a scope.....under $500

FluorideInMyWater
12-11-2008, 8:42 PM
im new optics. i would like a good scope for my AR. i'd like to take it out to as far as i can.....what maybe 1000 yards? im not sure what an AR can hit out to.

give me 3 choices for under 500

thanks!!!

sb_pete
12-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Millett TRS-1, TRS-2 series (not so much the LRS series yet - still some bugs there)

Falcon Menace series

SWRC Super Sniper Series

LibertyOptics
12-12-2008, 8:25 AM
Vortex Viper w/ BDC
Nikon Buckmaster mildot
Bushnell Elite 4200
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 ($539 shipped)

Hoop
12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X Mildot (Buckmaster is also a GREAT choice for less money)
Super Sniper 10X
There are Bushnell Elites in that price range with mildots but I've never used one.

freonr22
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
i havent used it yet bet the 4-16x40mm nikon monarch side focus bdc was $419 delivered

check out opticstalk.com... for reviews of all the scopes

FluorideInMyWater
12-12-2008, 6:40 PM
can u guys explain why u chose those particular models? pros/cons?

FMJBT
12-13-2008, 1:14 AM
1)Bushnell Elite 3200 10X Mil Dot:
Excellent scope typically found for under $200. Decent glass, and built to take lots of punishment without failure. Windage and elevation adjustments are accurate and repeatable. The scope is also compact and lightweight enough not to throw off the balance of the rifle. Many AR's seem overwhelmed by larger optics that typically turn them into a bench/bipod only gun.

2)Falcon Menace 10X42mm with MP20 reticle:
The MP20 reticle allows the use of holdovers for long range shooting rather than dialing in the specific elevation for different ranges. A standard Mil Dot reticle will aslo work for this, but the MP20 has hashmarks extended down the entire length of the lower leg on the cross hair, allowing for holdovers at further ranges. On a semi auto this can be an especially usefull feature as it allows you to instantly correct for missed shots simply by adjusting your point of aim for follow up shots using the hashmarks in the reticle. Once you learn to use it well, it will also allow rapid target engagement at various ranges without ever having to dial in elevation on the scope. Not a particularly accurate method of fire when shooting groups, but works well on steel plates and other medium size targets. I'm not all that familiar with the Falcon scopes personally, but they seem to be the cheapest scope available with this reticle pattern.

3) BSA Cats Eye.......;)
Nah, just kidding. A lot of the other choices I would have selected have already been covered.

Hoop
12-13-2008, 9:16 AM
1)Bushnell Elite 3200 10X Mil Dot:

I've been wondering about that scope. I have a romak PSL that I've been fiddling with to make it more accurate and I've hit a wall in terms of scopes. I do have a mount & I've narrowed it down to two scopes - the Super Sniper in 10X and the Bushnell in 10X.

The S.Sniper seems to be the better scope, and if my project doesn't work out I can mount it on something else and still enjoy it. But, I'm stuck wondering if the S.Sniper is 100$ more scope than the bushnell - as the bushnell glass really doesn't look that bad (I don't care for the donkey knobs on it though, but I could live with them).

FMJBT
12-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been wondering about that scope. I have a romak PSL that I've been fiddling with to make it more accurate and I've hit a wall in terms of scopes. I do have a mount & I've narrowed it down to two scopes - the Super Sniper in 10X and the Bushnell in 10X.

The S.Sniper seems to be the better scope, and if my project doesn't work out I can mount it on something else and still enjoy it. But, I'm stuck wondering if the S.Sniper is 100$ more scope than the bushnell - as the bushnell glass really doesn't look that bad (I don't care for the donkey knobs on it though, but I could live with them).

The SS is a good scope, but IMHO it doesn't offer much if any advantage over the Bushnell 10X. Either one would look pretty good on top of a PSL (Although slightly out of place ;) ) but the smaller Bushnell would make for a better balanced rifle both physically and aesthetically (Again, just IMHO :) ). Not sure which mount you are using, but if it's a side mount, the smaller scope will also place less stress on it during recoil.