PDA

View Full Version : Which upper to buy?

oldrifle
12-11-2008, 8:23 PM
Sorry for the lame post, but I really need some advice. I'm building my first AR and I really need to know which upper to buy. I'm looking for a flat top in .223. What brands should I look at and which are best to avoid?

Also, is it worthwhile to get M4 feed ramps? Do they make any difference? Any disadvantages?

Thanks for the help!!

1stLineGear
12-11-2008, 8:28 PM
Sorry for the lame post, but I really need some advice. I'm building my first AR and I really need to know which upper to buy. I'm looking for a flat top in .223. What brands should I look at and which are best to avoid?

Also, is it worthwhile to get M4 feed ramps? Do they make any difference? Any disadvantages?

Thanks for the help!!

Get a Gas Piston Upper. It has the accuracy of an AR and the reliability of an AK.

http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upper415-616BP.htm

J_Rock
12-11-2008, 8:39 PM
Get a Gas Piston Upper. It has the accuracy of an AR and the reliability of an AK.

http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upper415-616BP.htm

No it really doesnt. Read chris' write up on the HK416 before you spout off more erroneous comments

POF is crap, every trainer Ive ever talked to has seen alot of them go TU during a class

If you do decide on a piston upper I suggest talking to addax on this forum. However a piston wont do anything for you except waste a whole lot more money

a1fabweld
12-11-2008, 8:47 PM
Budget?

oldrifle
12-11-2008, 8:51 PM
Budget?

By the time I get the upper completely assembled with the barrel, I want to spend less than $800. I want a chrome lined barrel too.

J_Rock
12-11-2008, 8:54 PM
Alot of things to consider. How far will you be shooting? This will determine which barrel length you want. People usually go for 16" barrels. If so I suggest a 16" midlength upper from BCM

oldrifle
12-11-2008, 8:56 PM
No it readdy doesnt. Read chris' write up on the HK416 before you spout off more erroneous comments

POF is crap, every trainer Ive ever talked to has seen alot of them go TU during a class

If you do decide on a piston upper I suggest talking to addax on this forum. However a piston wont do anything for you except waste a whole lot more money

Eh, I'm fine with a regular old gas impingement.

Gp100
12-11-2008, 9:04 PM
STAG ARMS 2T upper. Thats what I got It is one of the coolest AR15 uppers I have seen. I paid 790 for it(upper only) and it was a 10 week wait.

a1fabweld
12-11-2008, 9:06 PM
No it readdy doesnt. Read chris' write up on the HK416 before you spout off more erroneous comments

WOW, what a lashing!

1stLineGear
12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
No it really doesnt. Read chris' write up on the HK416 before you spout off more erroneous comments

Right, because you are the ultimate authority on gas piston uppers. Give me a friggin break! Some people here have such a way with bringing unity to this forum. :rolleyes:

River Jack
12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I like the Mega upper/lower pair.

supermario
12-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I dont understand why people hate and get offended by people who like gas piston uppers!! I think they are great because they can keep shooting even if there dirty!!! I have been with many friends that dont clean their AR's often and they jammed often. I own a Sig 556 and it shoots great even dirty!! I think to each his own but dont hate on other designs because you cant open your mind to other options!!!!!

J_Rock
12-12-2008, 12:57 AM
I dont understand why people hate and get offended by people who like gas piston uppers!! I think they are great because they can keep shooting even if there dirty!!! I have been with many friends that dont clean their AR's often and they jammed often. I own a Sig 556 and it shoots great even dirty!! I think to each his own but dont hate on other designs because you cant open your mind to other options!!!!!

DI AR uppers will run dirty too as long as you lube it. Tell your friends to add some lube once in a while and they can run their gun dirty. Ive seen examples of DI uppers run ~5000 rounds without cleaning with only periodic lube. The inside of the upper looked like it was coated with sludge but the gun ran.

Mind you I'm not bashing piston systems at all, notice I referred the OP to addaxs piston uppers. Its just the misinformation is what irks me. Telling someone a DI has the accuracy of a AR with the reliability of an AK is so far from the truth. Hint, its not the gas piston the AK which makes reliable

1stLineGear
12-12-2008, 1:33 AM
DI AR uppers will run dirty too as long as you lube it. Tell your friends to add some lube once in a while and they can run their gun dirty. Ive seen examples of DI uppers run ~5000 rounds without cleaning with only periodic lube. The inside of the upper looked like it was coated with sludge but the gun ran.

Mind you I'm not bashing piston systems at all, notice I referred the OP to addaxs piston uppers. Its just the misinformation is what irks me. Telling someone a DI has the accuracy of a AR with the reliability of an AK is so far from the truth. Hint, its not the gas piston the AK which makes reliable

"its not the gas piston the AK which makes reliable" there goes your own misinformation. The gas piston system is "part" of what makes the rifle reliable. You might want to work on your people skills too.

aplinker
12-12-2008, 1:47 AM

Thanks for the help!!

Take a look at my signature thread.

Here are the questions I would pose:
-how far do you typically shoot? how far is your local range set up to shoot?
-what is the longest distance you anticipate wanting to shoot?
-will you generally shoot from a bench, on the move, from positions... ?
-any hunting? for what?
-what kind of optics will you use, if any?

aplinker
12-12-2008, 1:51 AM

1.) most problems with the AR have nothing to do with DI
2.) ARs will run dirty. One of my favorite plinkers is currently on a run of about 1000 rds without a cleaning. Mostly lacquered Wolf. No stoppages.
3.) Gas pistons have their place, but for most people they do more harm than good.

ghideon
12-12-2008, 6:28 AM
BCM, LMT, Sabre Defense or Noveske is my vote. I own BCM and LMT currently and am happy with them.

oldrifle
12-12-2008, 7:40 AM
BCM, LMT, Sabre Defense or Noveske is my vote. I own BCM and LMT currently and am happy with them.

Thank you. Now does anybody actually HAVE any uppers that I can buy now, either barreled or unbarreled? Every dealer I've looked at doesn't have uppers and won't backorder them. :mad: I sent an email to Armalite yesterday asking about one of their uppers and this is the response I got:

Unfortunately we're not allowed to sell any upper receivers at this
time or even take backorders. They're to be held for building complete
rifles. No timeline has been given as to when we'll be able to sell
them again.

pistolero805
12-12-2008, 8:10 AM
I have the stag 2ht upper with samson rail and its nice. Fit and finish is even and the rail is sturdy. I haven't shot it yet so I can't tell you how it shoots but it does look mean.

Rock river or Cmmg are also an option. I have the rock river a4 varmint and it shoots well. The fit is excellent and it has a nice black finish.

Either route you go, stick with a reputable manufacturer and you should be fine.

oldrifle
12-12-2008, 8:32 AM
I think I'm going to go with the RRA 6.8 SPC CAR A4 upper. I know I said I was looking for .223 but I've been doing a lot of research on the lethality of the .223 vs. the 6.8 SPC and it seems like the 6.8 SPC round is the way to go. Seems like even though the ammo is more expensive than the .223 round, as it becomes more common there will be more of it available and the price will go down. Any thoughts on that?

tmuller
12-12-2008, 8:49 AM
I don't really even see ammo dropping in price for any sustained period of time. There are always good deals you just need to be spot on to get them. The questions UCLAplinker asked are excellent in helping you REALLY decide what you NEED. 6.8 is $$$.......good luck!

oddball
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
If your budget for a complete upper is under $800, I would go with BCM. They make an outstanding product and have the best customer service I have ever experienced. The problem is getting one. They are in great demand, even before the presidential campaign & election. LMT is another excellent upper, perhaps a little more in cost.

Sleepnosis
12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
There will never be surplus 6.8 aummunition in your lifetime.

If this is your first AR or only AR it should be in 5.56. Its scope of use here in the US should push you in this direction. It is cheaper than 6.8 and ammunition cost will eventually return to a normal level.

In the mean time if you pick up a 5.56 upper, you can try and snag a CMMG/Spikes .22LR conversion kit and run them together.

Financially speaking you'll get more trigger time for less money, if you go with 5.56 + .22LR kit

RobG
12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
I think I'm going to go with the RRA 6.8 SPC CAR A4 upper. I know I said I was looking for .223 but I've been doing a lot of research on the lethality of the .223 vs. the 6.8 SPC and it seems like the 6.8 SPC round is the way to go. Seems like even though the ammo is more expensive than the .223 round, as it becomes more common there will be more of it available and the price will go down. Any thoughts on that?
If you are talking lethality in regards to hunting then there are better rounds than 6.8. If you are talking if SHTF and zombies,then 5.56 is much better as far as availability, rounds carried, and compatability with other AR toting zombie killers. That and 6.8 just isn't going to ever be that popular.

Eastbayguy
12-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Thank you. Now does anybody actually HAVE any uppers that I can buy now, either barreled or unbarreled? Every dealer I've looked at doesn't have uppers and won't backorder them. :mad: I sent an email to Armalite yesterday asking about one of their uppers and this is the response I got:

Unfortunately we're not allowed to sell any upper receivers at this
time or even take backorders. They're to be held for building complete
rifles. No timeline has been given as to when we'll be able to sell
them again.

Armalite has one on sale:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=UE15A4B&Category=9f794ab0-7a08-44e0-85d2-34f1832de5ea

aplinker
12-12-2008, 1:11 PM
:confused:

Did you miss my post where I asked you a bunch of questions about how you'll be shooting?