PDA

View Full Version : AR15 barrel contours...

Shiloh13
12-11-2008, 6:09 PM
What are you folks using for a 16" barrel? Recommendations?

I was thinking mid-length medium contour CMMG, but I hear it is very barrel heavy. I want it for some 100 yd. range work and self defense, etc. Open sights mostly with an EOTech for closeup. Free float hand guard will be used as well.

All wisdom appreciated.
-Tim

trinydex
12-11-2008, 6:27 PM
you wanna feel real heavy go hold a sig 556 and i don't think it even has a medcon barrel.

my cmmg 14.5 (sorry i don't have a 16" ar) medcon with a full rifle length rail is not half as heavy feeling as my sig (even with the flashlight on)

i had to rearrange everything on the sig to make it feel less front heavy.

-hanko
12-11-2008, 6:32 PM
What are you folks using for a 16" barrel? Recommendations?

I was thinking mid-length medium contour CMMG, but I hear it is very barrel heavy. I want it for some 100 yd. range work and self defense, etc. Open sights mostly with an EOTech for closeup. Free float hand guard will be used as well.

All wisdom appreciated.
-TimT
Tim, I have a B'mstr heavy barrel, CMMG 'medcon' contour mid-length, and a B'mstr lightweight barrel. The heavy barrel and medcon are a LOT heavier feeling than the lightweight (pencil) barrel.

I think a carbine should be handy--I have a fluted barrel Armalite 20" gun that's heavy as hell but that's fine for what I built it to do.

Back to carbines...it doesn't take much extra barrel weight to make the gun swing slower and become a pita when it's with you all day. I like the lightweight gun the best...it fulfills what I wanted in a go-to rifle. Though a midlength lightweight upper would be a dream...haven't found one yet.

The pencil barrel is not quite as accurate as the other 2, 2-3 moa at 100 with old eyes;). The heavy and medcon barrels can cut that down to a consistent 1 moa. The Eotech on the lightweight gun is a dream. It sits on the backseat of the 'burb or in a rifle rack on the atv; it's next to the bed at night:D. Check the ar-15 forum on arfcom, spend some time on the KISS thread (it's a sticky).

For what you want, the CMMG will do it without problems. I'd try both a lightweigt and medcon uppers before you make up your mind. Chrome lined, for what you need, would be an extra +.

-hth

REDHORSE
12-11-2008, 7:50 PM
Both are Bushmaster barrels. Top one is a heavy barrel and upper I put together in the early 90s. Bottom is an M4 profile.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/852/carbarrelprofiles4lh.jpg

a1fabweld
12-11-2008, 9:01 PM
I don't think the weight difference between a medcon & lightweight would make that much of a difference. A white collar guy who's idea of hard work is pushing the lawnmower on the weekend, maybe. If you get your hands dirty on a daily basis, probably won't be a big deal IMO. On the other hand, most of us hike our rifles from the parking lot at the range to the bench which shouldn't strain anyone regardless of barrel profile. :)

Blacktail 8541
12-12-2008, 8:04 AM
most of us hike our rifles from the parking lot at the range to the bench which shouldn't strain anyone regardless of barrel profile. :)

+1^

For what the OP stated as his intended use, the medium weight barrel would be the most benificial. A little extra weight in the front of a rifle will help steady it. If thr OP had stated that he was going to be carrying it alot I would suggest the lite weight barrell.

Shiloh13
12-12-2008, 9:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am bouncing between the medium contour and the government contour right now. A lightweight barrel would be nice, but I am concerned about loosing too much accuracy at the range and barrel wear over time due to heat buildup. I will have to find a way to handle a couple of them to see.

-Tim

Mississippi
12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a government contour 16 inch and really like it. I have not had to hike with it all day but the carbine classes have not really been a problem.

trinydex
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
doesn't someone like ar15barrels have a picture with all the different ar15 barrel contours laid out and compared at once?

SFFRONTMAN
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I have the 16in CMMG medcon upper, it is not heavy at all and is a great all around upper, and happens to be my favorite as well.

aplinker
12-12-2008, 1:25 PM
100yds or less usually means shooting on the move, on your feet, etc. - so lighter is better. The 1-2MOA accuracy of a lightweight won't even be an issue (especially since most people use surplus with the same accuracy).

REDHORSE
12-12-2008, 1:27 PM
doesn't someone like ar15barrels have a picture with all the different ar15 barrel contours laid out and compared at once?

http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

Shiloh13
12-12-2008, 4:43 PM
How much in the way of accuracy (100 yds.) and barrel wear does a lightweight barrel give up to say, an M4 barrel or a medium contour barrel?

This may be my one and only AR, so the decision must be weighed (excuse the pun) carefully.

Shiloh13
12-12-2008, 4:45 PM
BTW...
I carry some disability with the legs and shoulders which colors my decision, so all of this info is very helpful.
Thank you.

trinydex
12-12-2008, 4:50 PM
http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

i knew it!

btw is gov the same as "m4"

aplinker
12-12-2008, 5:05 PM
i knew it!

btw is gov the same as "m4"

gov't usually refers to the 20" AR barrel (skinny under the handguards, thicker at the end, fitted for a std FSB)... The M4 profile includes a M203 notch. People incorrectly apply "Gov't" to the M4 profile, since it's what the mil uses.

Shiloh13
12-12-2008, 5:21 PM
For purposes of this conversation, my references to "government" and other contours are taken from the CMMG website. The government contour there appears to be typical to an M4 contour without the M203 notch. They don't offer the M4 in a mid-length gas system, so the government contour fills the bill.

J_Rock
12-12-2008, 5:37 PM
How much in the way of accuracy (100 yds.) and barrel wear does a lightweight barrel give up to say, an M4 barrel or a medium contour barrel?

This may be my one and only AR, so the decision must be weighed (excuse the pun) carefully.

The govt profile and lightweight contours are pretty similar in weight. I'm not too sure on this but a lightweight might be theoretically more accurate since it has more uniform countour so the barrel will heat up evenly vs the govt profile where the barrel will heat up faster at the 203 notch and under the handguards.

!@#$
12-12-2008, 7:32 PM
chrome lined barrel should be LW profile IMO...