PDA

View Full Version : Potentially starting a target shooting club at CSUS

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 1:49 PM
I'm in the process of establishing some form of shooting club at CSUS. Obviously for the most part, it will have to be an off campus type club. I've talked to the assistant dean and its potentially a possibility that the campusmight might even fund--depending on how its run. I doubt they would fund rifles but you never know until you ask. I don't think I can ask for more than campus reloading equipment and optics. If I can get enough people to sign a petition, its at least a starting point. I need 20 signatures, but I can't start collecting them until the begginning of next semester--and they cannot be random signatures. A certain number of "for sure members" will have to sign, even then the club will have a probationary status for a semester. I'll also have to coordinate with sac velley shooting center to see what type of requirements they desire for such a club. I figure that if we can get CSUS funding for equipment that it could be stored there. I know they'd want some experienced range masters to run the show--hopefully I can find some experienced volunteers. I'd also need to find an instructor of sorts to show us how its done. We'd also have to arrange a time of week to practice at the range and not interfere with established events and practice times. Anybody interested in helping me trying to establish this? It would be great to see a school sponsored shooting club in CA, don't you think? I know of a professor who might volunteer, but he is a handgun guy only and I'm sure a handgun related club would be an absolute NO. Any sac staters seriously interested in this idea? Help would be much appreciated!

Bizob
12-11-2008, 1:51 PM
Oh great, so I'm one semester away from graduation and NOW someone starts a shooting club :rolleyes:

Just playing dude, If you need a signature let me know. A shooting club would be badarse :D

If you need any help let me know, I'll try to contribute as much as my time will allow

Linus
12-11-2008, 2:15 PM
Good luck with that it's a great idea and sounds like fun. Someone should do this at UCD since we're so close to Yolo Sportsman Association.

hybridatsun350
12-11-2008, 2:18 PM
Great timing! I'm transfering over to CSUS in January! You've got my signature. :D

Bizob
12-11-2008, 2:21 PM
Good luck with that it's a great idea and sounds like fun. Someone should do this at UCD since we're so close to Yolo Sportsman Association.

fyi, some clubs at Sac State don't require you to be a student there. I know a lot of people in the Snowboard club that are not students. I don't know the classification system or how it all works though.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 2:31 PM
Me neither, thats why I'm gathering info with the head people at sat state. I will need a definite list of people though, preferably with rifles. I have a feeling that it won't get funded till it passes a semester of succesful probation.

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 2:31 PM
I'm in the process of establishing some form of shooting club at CSUS. Obviously for the most part, it will have to be an off campus type club. I've talked to the assistant dean and its potentially a possibility that the campusmight might even fund--depending on how its run. I doubt they would fund rifles but you never know until you ask. I don't think I can ask for more than campus reloading equipment and optics. If I can get enough people to sign a petition, its at least a starting point. I need 20 signatures, but I can't start collecting them until the begginning of next semester--and they cannot be random signatures. A certain number of "for sure members" will have to sign, even then the club will have a probationary status for a semester. I'll also have to coordinate with sac velley shooting center to see what type of requirements they desire for such a club. I figure that if we can get CSUS funding for equipment that it could be stored there. I know they'd want some experienced range masters to run the show--hopefully I can find some experienced volunteers. I'd also need to find an instructor of sorts to show us how its done. We'd also have to arrange a time of week to practice at the range and not interfere with established events and practice times. Anybody interested in helping me trying to establish this? It would be great to see a school sponsored shooting club in CA, don't you think? I know of a professor who might volunteer, but he is a handgun guy only and I'm sure a handgun related club would be an absolute NO. Any sac staters seriously interested in this idea? Help would be much appreciated!

The 1K range at Sac Valley is extremely busy and all the hardware used at this facility is paid for by the disciplines.

My best suggestion is find a group to shoot with instead of starting your own.

No offense Clark but you have 0 experience at being an RO + not too much time behind a rifle. Take the time to shoot and learn before getting in WAY over your head.

Myself and the other match directors are the one that take care of the 1K range so we know what it is involved in running things out there.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 2:48 PM
Gotcha. I would not be running the club in any way at all. Just participating. Like I said, I have to find somebody to run it. I'm looking for experienced volunteers.

rksimple
12-11-2008, 2:49 PM
I think this is a much larger undertaking than you might realize...especially dealing with a range on the scale of sac valley. From insurance to safety to red tape...it may take away plenty of time from school work. :)

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 2:49 PM
Ahhh so you are the idea guy.

So what discipline would this be? What will you be starting that Sac Valley does not already have?

Bizob
12-11-2008, 2:53 PM
Ahhh so you are the idea guy.

So what discipline would this be? What will you be starting that Sac Valley does not already have?

I don't think he intends starting something Sac Valley does not already have, he is starting a club at school. They have a variety of clubs at Sac State ranging from the Snowboard Club to the Sac State racing team that races Formula Fords. Personally I think it would be a positive way to introduce people to shooting.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 2:55 PM
Good things have to start somewhere. I'll be trying to start what CSUS does not have. Heck, I don't even mind working with existing Sac valley clubs--I could get funding for them potentially. By all means, point me to where I need to go and who I need to talk to.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 2:58 PM
I think this is a much larger undertaking than you might realize...especially dealing with a range on the scale of sac valley. From insurance to safety to red tape...it may take away plenty of time from school work.

Dude, agreed 100%. But its worth trying for is it not?

rksimple
12-11-2008, 3:01 PM

Oh, of course. If you can get the school to go along with everything, more power to you. I don't know what you're studying, but I know I would've never had time between my chem labs, bio labs, anat/physio, histo, etc. Maybe I should've chosen a different major?

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 3:08 PM
Clark,

How about show up and shoot more than 2 matches before even thinkin about this. Yes great things have started from lil things and ideas.

However a lot more disasters have happened because some guy has a cool idea one day without doing his homework.

Why don't you and your friends that are SERIOUS about all this come out and start shooting High Power, F-Class, of even with us and see how things are done before going off on your own.

Start a club at Sac State....cool. More power to you. However starting your own club to run out at Sac Valley....you have owned a bolt rifle for what? 5 months?

And if you think you are going to sucker some guy into running a full blown club, think again. I am already that sucker and I can tell you it takes about 20 of us a lot of man hours a month to keep things going.

Nevermind the years and years of experience the guys have. I am not even talking about myself. I am talking about guys like Rob and Sam that have been shooting longer than you have been alive.

You shot 2 matches. 1 of our steel matches. You are young so relax man..come out and shoot. We'll welcome you and your guys that are serious about this game. Just leave the flash cameras and all the tactical cool crap at home.

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 3:10 PM
I don't think he intends starting something Sac Valley does not already have, he is starting a club at school. They have a variety of clubs at Sac State ranging from the Snowboard Club to the Sac State racing team that races Formula Fords. Personally I think it would be a positive way to introduce people to shooting.

Bizbob,

If you read his post he wants to schedule range time and run the range at Sac Valley.

I am 1000000% behind getting more people shooting but I believe you need the infrastructure in place to safely and properly teach newbies. Teaching new people the wrong way is more damaging than not teaching them at all.

rkt88edmo
12-11-2008, 3:16 PM
Why don't you and your friends that are SERIOUS about all this come out and start shooting High Power, F-Class, of even with us and see how things are done before going off on your own.

I'd actually recommend starting with rimfire based on what he is talking about. Since he doesn't already have a core group ready to go I am guessing when they do coalesce it probably isnt' full blown competitions, just general interest target practice and plinking that they would be seeking.

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 3:21 PM
rkt88demo,

That is an awesome idea. Cheap, low recoil, not expensive to get into.

Small bore is good stuff.

Vu

offrdmania
12-11-2008, 3:22 PM
I was getting excited because you said CSUS. Keep in mind that there is another CSUS in Turlock. CSU Stanislaus

Bizob
12-11-2008, 3:32 PM
rkt88demo,

That is an awesome idea. Cheap, low recoil, not expensive to get into.

Small bore is good stuff.

Vu
This was more along my line of thinking also

ar15barrels
12-11-2008, 3:34 PM
Clark,

How about show up and shoot more than 2 matches before even thinkin about this. Yes great things have started from lil things and ideas.

However a lot more disasters have happened because some guy has a cool idea one day without doing his homework.

Start a club at Sac State....cool. More power to you. However starting your own club to run out at Sac Valley....you have owned a bolt rifle for what? 5 months?

And if you think you are going to sucker some guy into running a full blown club, think again. I am already that sucker and I can tell you it takes about 20 of us a lot of man hours a month to keep things going.

Nevermind the years and years of experience the guys have. I am not even talking about myself. I am talking about guys like Rob and Sam that have been shooting longer than you have been alive.

You shot 2 matches. 1 of our steel matches. You are young so relax man..come out and shoot. We'll welcome you and your guys that are serious about this game. Just leave the flash cameras and all the tactical cool crap at home.

I've been shooting about 25 years and involved in competitive shooting about 12.
Ryan and I are working on starting a club and I'm still afraid of all the little things.
I'm excited at the same time though and the enthusiasm is currently out-voting the uncertainty.

jb7706
12-11-2008, 3:38 PM

Vu is right on. There are several clubs out there now. There is a ton of stuff to do just on the legal/liability side of things, not to mention the stuff that has to be done all the time behind the scenes just to keep a club running. There is WAY more to it than renting a range for a day and inviting some guys to shoot. Those tactical matches didn't rise to the national spotlight by accident.

Volunteer your time to help Vu or other MD's out, I am certain they will have plenty for you to do. Learn by doing. Talk to the GM out there and participate in the volunteer program. The ranges don't maintain themselves, and Sac Valley is a non-profit. :)

Get your group of interested shooters together and show up to matches. Perhaps you can help with getting an informal "Student Squad" going under the direction and control of one of the MD's if they are willing. If you can keep a consistent group showing up for a sustained time, and you have spent time "in the trenches" helping an established club then think about a new club.

Don't take this as an attempt to discourage your participation, we need new blood in the sport, and every club out there wants to see more shooters. I fully support anyone bringing new members into the clubs and the sport. Just don't put yourself in a position to fail.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 3:39 PM
I would not mind a rimfire club. I'm going for whatever I can get to be honest but I might as well see if I can get what I want. I agree with all your posts thus far though.

ar15barrels
12-11-2008, 3:43 PM
Two recommendations for Clark.

Go to this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=135299

Consider trying out smallbore competition.
It will teach you all the basics of marksmanship that you and others in your club can grow upon.

ocabj
12-11-2008, 3:43 PM
I prefer the concept of a "Marksmanship Team" as opposed to a "Shooting Club".

When I think "shooting club", I think of just a bunch of people who enjoy recreational shooting. Granted, there's nothing wrong with this, and we should have more "shooting clubs" to promote safe recreational shooting.

But with a "marksmanship team", it implies a more goal oriented organization with the intent on improving marksmanship and shooting skills.

And "Marksmanship Team" doesn't imply one single discipline. Take a look at the US Army Marksmanship Unit. They have soldiers who compete in all shooting competition disciplines, including but not limited to High Power Rifle (Across the Course SR and MR, long-range, Palma, etc), Bullseye/NM pistol, IDPA, IPSC, and 3-gun.

"Marksmanship Team" also doesn't imply that everyone has to be 'good'. The whole point of a "Marksmanship Team" or program is to help one another improve to get good/better.

4thSeal
12-11-2008, 3:45 PM
Other than getting friends together ( ie a non formal club ) and going to sac valley for range time is not advisable. The legalities, the cost, the time... get some friends that enjoy the same thing you do, goto the range have a stress reliever kind of a day and go back to the books. You wouldnt want to put a big fomal club together, then have it collapse after a couple years when no incoming people have time be Pres/VP etc etc...

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 3:55 PM
Hmmmm, this is true for sure. Either way, I still want to give it a fair shot and at least see what is involved. I've only been investigating the club process for a week and have yet to find all the shooting logistics involved. Rimfire does sound advisable, and also allows for practice at other ranges. Good ideas so far guys!

Pthfndr
12-11-2008, 5:00 PM
Clark

I got your PM. I think it's admirable what you want to try to do. Will your club just get together for informal shoots? Will the be more of a "Marksman" club like Ocabj suggests? Will they participate as a group in events such as High Power, Tactical LR/Steel matches, or silhouette?

First thing you need to do is WRITE OUT an outline of what the goals and purposes of the club will be. Go through it several times, with some people you have direct personal contact with who would participate in said club with you. Once you have the outline down, then come back and post it here and let us more experienced match directors/club directors take a look at it and offer our opinions.

Second thing, come out to the steel match this Saturday and talk with us about it after the match. Then when we're done talking, go over to the pole barn and find Jim O'Connell. He runs the High Power program at Sac Valley. Talk to him about want you want to do and get his input. He is a VERY smart guy and has been doing this stuff for 30+ years. He's a retired Marine officer, so no bs or pie in the sky stuff when you talk with him.

Third thing is go to the range office and talk with the GM Jack Root. Tell him what kinds of things you might want to do at the range and get his input.

Fourth thing, come to the monthly Folsom Shooting Club (they own Sac Valley) Board of Directors meeting. Third Tuesday of each month (next one is next Tuesday at 7:30 pm at Harry's Hofbrau, corner of Watt and El Camino) and find out how the club can accommodate you. Believe it or not, the NRA is big on youth stuff these days and having a CSUS firearms club using the Sac Valley range could be beneficial to the range in the form of grants from the NRA.

Randall's suggestion of any interested people going to the Appleseed event in January is an excellent one. That could be the thing to spike people's motivation in getting a CSUS club going.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 5:06 PM
Hey, thanks Rob! Good stuff. I'll do that! I'll see if I can make that meeting. Finals are next week and I have a structural analysis exam the next day.

Volunteer your time to help Vu or other MD's out, I am certain they will have plenty for you to do. Learn by doing. Talk to the GM out there and participate in the volunteer program. The ranges don't maintain themselves, and Sac Valley is a non-profit.

I had no idea it was non-profit and I never thought about volunteering. Before I do any of that, I need discover the dean's position on such a club. I want it to be tied to school in some manner. If I can't I'll just join a club instead of making one. The whole CSUS shooting club thing was a suggestion from a professor that I had never considered before and sounded like something to research and get a feel for the type of involvement thats needed. The concept of the "markman" club was more of what I had in mind, it would be open to everybody.

Vu 308
12-11-2008, 6:26 PM
Clark,

I am sorry for coming off as a ball bustin SOB but trust me man the hours it takes to run a club is um lets just say I work more on our club stuff at times than my regular job. It just NOT a weekend thing I pick up when I get bored.

You want to see what it takes to do this? Get involved. Shoot with a group like HP, F-Class, or us and slowly get your feet wet. The crew I have helping me is 2nd to none. I wouldn't trade them for anything. It takes a crew like that to make a club successful and most important.....SAFE.

You are a young grassshoppa...enjoy the trigger time while you can because once you get in deep like I have the trigger time goes away.

Good luck and I'll and others will help out if you guys are serious and want to do this right.

Vu

grandslam
12-11-2008, 6:41 PM

I dont think its worth it when there are already so many great clubs at Sac Valley.... Join one of the clubs that already there and you will make relationships that will last alot longer than school will....Cause trust me as someone who didnt go to school, spend all your extra time doing well in school so you can do something with it when you are done.

Solidsnake87
12-11-2008, 6:45 PM
All good advice to be heeded. I'll get more involved with what I'm doing now and learn more and pick up volunteer stuff when I can.

enjoy the trigger time while you can because once you get in deep like I have the trigger time goes away.

I actually hadn't though about that occurring as an end result. I definitely don't want that to happen.