View Full Version : Need help: Can't remove old bullet button (SUCCESS!)

12-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, I'm upgrading all my AR's to Radd's sweet new bullet button and I'm trying to remove the original bullet button from one of my AR's (the rest had B-15's which were easy to remove).

This thing is solidly stuck in place. I can't break it loose, I'm using a small blade screwdriver and trying a combination of pushing, prying, and twisting trying to get that inside ring to budge. It's been on there for about two years and it was loctited into place (I believe I used the loctite that came with it, if not, it was definitely NOT the permanent type).

The little nut is literally chipping away before it will budge.

Anyone have any advice/tips/tricks?

Edit: Got it off. Had to absolutely destroy it to do it, but I got it off. Did not damage the mag catch or the receiver in the process. I removed the evil features and then filed the bullet button down to the point where the nut was flush was the face of the bullet button housing. I then used a pair of spreader plies with needle nose ends to slip into the two slots and back the nut out. All in all it took about two hours.

12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
try getting one of the install/removal tools then. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1749664

12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I have the opposite problem. I can't get the huge metal post (that surrounds the screw) out. I had to wiggle mine back and forth forever to finally get it out.

12-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Worst case scenario, push the button in and cut the shaft on the mag catch. The rest will then fall out of the BB.

Buy new mag catch and re-install.