PDA

View Full Version : Weapons ban question

cgseanp1
12-10-2008, 7:46 PM
If a new AW type ban were to pass, would you be able to register your guns so you can keep them? Is that how it worked when the first AW ban went into effect? Can the government take your guns and not give you the option to register them? Just something i've been curious about..

Vinz
12-10-2008, 7:48 PM
What Ban?? Also more importantly.....what guns? LOL

Don't panic, you still have two weeks.

vinz

JagerTroop
12-10-2008, 7:48 PM
They'll be at your house in 2 weeks to get your guns. Have 'em ready ;)

* dammit Vinz, you beat me by seconds :)

Fate
12-10-2008, 7:51 PM
Any potential bans are still purely theoretical as any new law is as of yet unwritten and un-passed. You can play what-if scenarios in your mind all you want, but without any facts, you're in the realm of pure speculation. Potentially interesting, but ultimately pointless at this point.

ghost
12-10-2008, 7:51 PM
:TFH::TFH::TFH:

cgseanp1
12-10-2008, 7:52 PM
Ha, whatever you guys are talking about went right over my head. Wasn't there an assault weapon ban that went into effect in 2000 or sometime around then?

Vinz
12-10-2008, 7:53 PM
heeheeee :p

seriously, buy what you want and don't panic. At least buy a few lowers to build later. After Armageddon its not gonna much matter anyway's..

vinz

ohsmily
12-10-2008, 7:57 PM
again?!?!!? :rolleyes:

cgseanp1
12-10-2008, 7:59 PM
Maybe you guys are mistaken me for the type of person who is running around like a mad man, stocking up on guns and ammo because of the current political situation, which I am not. I am in the process of getting an AR 15, not because of politics, but because I just recently "discovered" them and that they can be CA legal and I had to have one! My original post was just out of curiosity, if it's gonnna turn into a drama fest we can just forget I said anything. :)

JagerTroop
12-10-2008, 8:04 PM
Maybe you guys are mistaken me for the type of person who is running around like a mad man, stocking up on guns and ammo because of the current political situation, which I am not. I am in the process of getting an AR 15, not because of politics, but because I just recently "discovered" them and that they can be CA legal and I had to have one! My original post was just out of curiousity, if it's gonnna turn into a drama fest we can just forgot I said anything. :)

It's a valid question. I'm sure it's on many peoples' minds, however, there is no answer. All I can say is "Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst"

again?!?!!? :rolleyes:

I'm SURE this will be the last time :rolleyes:

rayra
12-10-2008, 8:05 PM
FFS, somebody give him a real answer so he and folks like him can actually learn the history that occurred while they were busy watching Power Rangers.

The Federal AWB went into effect in 1994, to 2004. It was a ban on sale of a variety of 'assault weapons' and/or rifles that had a few 'evil' features. There was no ban on arms already owned and no registration of same, or of new / neutered rifles sold during that period.

The CA AWB, enacted in 1989 and still (and forever) in effect, banned further sale of several named rifle models and brands. And required registration of those already in private hands. It was amended in ~91 and the ban expanded to include broader 'type' descriptions and a list of 'Evil Features' whose incorporation would make any unnamed rifle also an 'assault rifle'. It was this clumsy amendment that created the major loophole / laid the foundation for the OLL movement, coupled to later court rulings and CA-DOJ letters.

Vinz
12-10-2008, 8:06 PM
Maybe you guys are mistaken me for the type of person who is running around like a mad man, stocking up on guns and ammo because of the current political situation, which I am not. :)
ahh huuu you say that now....LOL
just cause osmilly posted doesn't mean drama's comin... :popcorn:

rayra
12-10-2008, 8:13 PM
If a new AW type ban were to pass, would you be able to register your guns so you can keep them? Is that how it worked when the first AW ban went into effect? Can the government take your guns and not give you the option to register them? Just something i've been curious about..

Oh and to give you a serious answer, it would depend on the nature of the ban. The 111th Congress and President Obama have nothing to stop them from enacting ban legislation which will require surrender of banned arms, and are not required to allow folks to keep them or register them.
Sure, legal challenges would immediately be made, using Heller and the like to counter, and public outcry will be massive. And I dare say there'll be some martyrs. But technically, realistically, there's nothing stopping them from such a short-sighted Act. And all the prime Democrat actors in such a fiasco have all already demonstrated their anti-gun bias and their venal stupidity in advocating loser policies that go fully against the will of the people. Just consider the repeated efforts to pass Amnesty for Illegal Aliens. The recent Energy fiasco where they tried to slip an effective ban on drilling as a PRO energy bill. The repeated attempts at nationalization of verious sectors of our economy.
All the liberal media organs are grinding out anti-gun opinion pieces. The statisical average shootings are being played up / hyperfocused on. The Brady shills and all the rest are shoveling **** as fast as they can. ALL workign together to lay the groundwork for another ban. And like the anti-gun bills that sat waiting in committees most of last year, waiting for another mass shooting so they could be surfed in on a wave of blood, such a ban will have NO sunset like the last time.
So that's why folks are concerned, reasonably so, and are buying up everything they can get their hands on that might be subject to bans or obstructive legislation. We have until Jan 20th.

Vonshliken12
12-10-2008, 8:13 PM
I think everyones spot on when they say that our economy is so far down the toilet Obama and his crew are gonna spend a long time "reorganizing government involvement." It sucks that everyones so worked up about it right now because I can't find any saiga 7.62s are bulk ammo deals. Of course I don't have the money to buy anything anyways...

rayra
12-10-2008, 8:21 PM
I think everyones spot on when they say that our economy is so far down the toilet Obama and his crew are gonna spend a long time "reorganizing government involvement." It sucks that everyones so worked up about it right now because I can't find any saiga 7.62s are bulk ammo deals. Of course I don't have the money to buy anything anyways...

Obama's already called upon his congressional stooges to pass his massive 'New Deal' -type jobs programs before he even takes office, so it's waiting for his signature.
He's also spent last week with a dedicated team reviewing a raft of Pres. Bush' Executive Orders with the deliberate intent of overturning quite a few the moment his pen has the power to sign the rescinding EOs.
And with the raft of anti-gun personnel being picked for his administration, with creeps like Eric Holder as AG - the AG that can define 'suitable purpose' and ban whatever they don't like; with folks like AWB author Biden as Veep; With folks like Carolyn McCarthy (D)-Long Island ('the thing that goes up') sitting around with a stack of anti-gun legislation already drawn up; there'll be very little difficulty or delay in them processing any anti-gun legislation they care to.
Hell, they'll just as likely attach it as a rider to some totally unrelated major bailout or jobs program, just so fence-sitters CAN'T vote against it. Just like Reid / Pelosi tried to do repeatedly with war-funding appropriations bills. This last Congress went 7mos at one point without a passable piece of war-funding legislation because the democrats kept attaching crap to it and Bush kept sending it back. it was only after enough public attention and ire was focused on what they were doing that they knoecked it off.
Now with a more liberal congress in both houses AND Obama in the Oval office - they'll pass whatever they damned well please.

The new / 111th Congress takes their oaths on Jan 3rd. Seventeen days before Obama is inaugurated. You want some clue to what is going to happen, just watch very closely what they do during that seventeen days.

cgseanp1
12-10-2008, 8:24 PM
Thanks for the informative replies!

JagerTroop
12-10-2008, 8:27 PM
How long was it (in 1994) from when the bill was signed, till the deadline for purchase? and for the Ca. 2000 ban (registration deadline)?

Vinz
12-10-2008, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the informative replies!:rofl2:

SKG19
12-10-2008, 9:03 PM
I'm no law expert...but it seems any new federal gun ban (AW or otherwise) would have constitutional implications because of Heller.

oddball
12-10-2008, 9:20 PM

Not necessarily. Obama is on a roll; he has popular opinion and the media on his side right now. He also has a Dem. Congress for at least 2 years. If he and Congress are going to pass any "quality of life" legislation, it will be sooner than later.

As far as dwindling supplies, you snooze, you lose ;).

Many of us here have been stocking up way before the election.

Gp100
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Very good question,"Fact" Obama said he wants to take AK47s off the streets.
AR15 would be the same from that statement IMO,also as RAYRA said (good post RAY)vice president Biden helped write the first assault weapon ban. They don't have to write a new one just reinstate the old one by Executive order.

GM4spd
12-11-2008, 4:54 AM
I'm no law expert...but it seems any new federal gun ban (AW or otherwise) would have constitutional implications because of Heller.

Don't count on it---they could give a rats arse about Heller.They will pass
any legislation they want and worry about the legal part later. Pete

4literranger485
12-11-2008, 6:18 AM
Not necessarily. Obama is on a roll; he has popular opinion and the media on his side right now. He also has a Dem. Congress for at least 2 years. If he and Congress are going to pass any "quality of life" legislation, it will be sooner than later.

As far as dwindling supplies, you snooze, you lose ;).

Many of us here have been stocking up way before the election.

look on the bright side! Republicans have an excellent chance to take over congress next year because no one shows up to those elections. There'll be no "obama supporters" or MTV "rockin the vote". I bet Kanye West wont even open his stupid mouth about the next 2 year election :eek: and then we'll have congress back and hopefully have a buffer for the b.s.

Aluucard
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
look on the bright side! Republicans have an excellent chance to take over congress next year because no one shows up to those elections. There'll be no "obama supporters" or MTV "rockin the vote". I bet Kanye West wont even open his stupid mouth about the next 2 year election :eek: and then we'll have congress back and hopefully have a buffer for the b.s.

Damn you're an optimist! :D

I'm already running low on backyard space for my buried guns! :cool:

P.S. Does anyone know how I should bury my ammo dump? Any tips on preparation, packing, layout, etc.?

Beelzy
12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Well here is another answer.

There is a high probability another AWB will occur, if so, there will be a ban
on sales first, then a registration period which is usually around a year. By
the end of this Reg. period if one hasn't registered said AW then its a problem.

The lousy thing is that the State won't tell you what's going on, so you
have to keep up on this stuff or you may accidentally become a criminal.
Which is exactly what they want, you will not know, let the window pass then panic and create even more problems trying to dispose of the weapon.

Infidel
12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I tend to subscribe to the mode of thinking that if a ban were to be imposed again that it probably wouldn't happen until the second half of Obama's term. I think that he will most definitely have his hands full with this ecomomy and that even though congress may be Dems that they will also have their hands full with the same...just my opinion, but hey I thought Mccain had a chance too:shrug:

BTW

I am banking on this to the point where I don't plan on buying anything else until lowers, and complete firearms have become reasonable once again.

sorensen440
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Its really hard to say till we can read the law

The only thing I can say for sure Is you will never under any circumstances see me turning over any of my firearms regardless of any unconstitutional laws they might try and pass...

bohoki
12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
i dont see how they could do another ban and registration without allowing all the olls to become more assaultier

ie allowing detachable mags with pistolgrips flash hiders and "adjustable" stocks

the 50 bmg ban was via caliber and was quite clever since you cannot make you 50 bmg more assaultier than it is other wise it would have been covered by the sb23 ban

so say you registered a barret 82a1 with a monster man style grasp you cannot but a pistol grip on it after you registered it

Josh3239
12-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Now here in California we have a hole new set of problems the CA DOJ could update the ban list at any time by name of receiver manufacture,if this happens and you have to register your weapon you can then turn it into a full pistol grip quick release magazine weapon just like the pre ban ones,no more bullet button or monster man grip. Your weapon now ca legal just shows up as long gun In CA DOJ not assault weapon. So no they wont come to get your rifle. JAN 1 2010 is when I could see a real ban going down and ar15 uppers are about a 4 month wait time from some factories.

This is incorrect.

Firstly, the DOJ no longer has the power to update the ban list. So we are stuck with it. If more receivers are to be banned by name, it would have to be new legislation.

Second, just because there is a ban doesn't mean there will be registration. It can possibly become a "high cap mag style ban" which would outlaw manufacture, import, sale, loan, or give.

And all this means is even Calguns cannot look into the future and predict the wording that makes up a new gun ban. It can be any number of things, maybe it is mags holding more than 10rds, maybe it is mags holding more than 5rds, maybe it is semi-autos, maybe it is "military style cartridges", maybe bayonet lugs, maybe it will be threaded barrels, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

rayra
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
How long was it (in 1994) from when the bill was signed, till the deadline for purchase? and for the Ca. 2000 ban (registration deadline)?

They usually take effect at the beginning of the next fiscal year of whichever entity is passing the ban. But the CA 10rd mag limit / ban was much quicker than that and took effect on 1 Jan, when the state's fiscal year starts on July 1 (and the Fed's is Oct 1).

BUT the past intervals mean jack squat. The 1994 AWB was passed on Sept 13 and signed by Clinton that same day AND TOOK EFFECT THE SAME DAY. NO delay.

And seeing the Pelosi-Reid Congress' propensity to pass crap late at night, to jigger voting time periods until they get the numbers they want, to repeatedly tender corrupt legislation until they get it passed (just as with our own anti-gun CA democrats in Sacramento), they could grease it through any time and have Obama sign it before the morning news even covers it.
They've ALREADY shoved thru massive spending bills withOUT proper procedure and entended discussion / parliamentary procedure / public review.
Why on earth would they do otherwise when they'll have even more of a majority, more power, a complicit administration?
Do idiots like the fool that posted nothing but laughter actually think these Leftists are going to NOT fully exercise their totalitarian will? That they're going to 'govern from the center'? What nonsense.

Librarian
12-11-2008, 1:01 PM

It depends on what is written in the bill; for both of those, they took effect Jan 1 the year following passage of the law; CA's 1989 Roberti-Roos had a year to register, but one had to have owned them before June 1, 1989. For the .50 BMG ban, it was "owned before Jan 1, 2005".

But again, until there's actually a bill submitted, we can't know what will be in it.

Ask again in January. :(

rayra
12-11-2008, 1:03 PM

No kidding. It took Heller FIVE YEARS to wend its way thru the courts. Imagine how much more damage they'll do before that gets reversed. IF it gets reversed. Heller was barely upheld by a 5-4 vote. And reading the transcripts and judgements, some of the questions asked by even the folks that voted to uphold were worrisome enough. Even though the most likely retirees from the SCOTUS will be its most aged Liberals, which will produce no net change in the balance of the court, folks like Scalia are getting pretty damned old. And five years is a long time. By the time such a challenge to a ban might reach the SCOTUS, the decision could quite easily NOT go in our favor, in freedom's favor.

rayra
12-11-2008, 1:07 PM
Don't count on it---they could give a rats arse about Heller.They will pass
any legislation they want and worry about the legal part later. Pete

Addendum - just look at how the city of DC has managed to thwart Heller. Look at the raft of hurdles they threw up against legal firearm ownership in their jurisdiction. They've yielded specifically for Heller the man, but they are still nto complying with the thrust of Heller the decision. They still have a highly obstructive process in place and only 1? FFL in DC limits for residents to purchase from - and he's stated he only wants to sell guns to cops and security guards. And the only other FFLs in DC are a theatre company so they can buy gun props, and the chief scum at the heart of the Brady Campaign, so he can bring in scary looking guns to spook the morons in Congress with.

rayra
12-11-2008, 1:09 PM

TWO years, two full years of an unrestrained Liberal Congress and Executive.
And in all the years Republicans held the majority, they didn't undo ANY of our prior 2nd Amend infringements.
So from that perspective even two WEEKS of the 111th Congress and President Obama is TOO MUCH.

oddball
12-11-2008, 1:16 PM
TWO years, two full years of an unrestrained Liberal Congress and Executive.

Exactly. This is why I have the opinion that Obama and his ilk will try to pass anti-gun legislation early in his term before congressional elections.

And it will be buried in some convoluted piece of s*** bill.

-hanko
12-11-2008, 2:29 PM
Now here in California we have a hole new set of problems the CA DOJ could update the ban list at any time by name of receiver manufacture...
Nope:confused:

-hanko