PDA

View Full Version : Upper Bought Please Delete

Gio
12-10-2008, 5:12 PM
Okay so I am honestly thinking about buying one of these two uppers for my First Ever AR Build which is painstaking taking so dog gone long because I waited really lated to purchase my stripped lowers :rolleyes:

Here are the two configurations:
LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100)

LaRue Tactical DMR-16 Upper (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=252)

I would really like to have a 16" Carbine Looking Hard Hitting Target Shooting Riot Out at the Range AR. So which one is better for what I am looking for? I want something reliable and nice at the same time, also something that looks a little menacing while out at the range or in the woods :43:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Gio

Boots
12-10-2008, 5:17 PM
I personally like the Stealth Sniper system myself.

Boots

Okay so I am honestly thinking about buying one of these two uppers for my First Ever AR Build which is painstaking taking so dog gone long because I waited really lated to purchase my stripped lowers :rolleyes:

Here are the two configurations:
LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100)

LaRue Tactical DMR-16 Upper (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=252)

I would really like to have a 16" Carbine Looking Hard Hitting Target Shooting Riot Out at the Range AR. So which one is better for what I am looking for? I want something reliable and nice at the same time, also something that looks a little menacing while out at the range or in the woods :43:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Gio

Gio
12-10-2008, 5:32 PM
Thanks, but is there a reason why you like it more then the DMR? Also what size do you think would be a better match for what I am looking for?

-Gio

J_Rock
12-10-2008, 5:35 PM
Just to warn you before hand. Larue will NOT sell you a lower because you live in CA. Ask me how I know :mad:

Gio
12-10-2008, 5:47 PM
Just to warn you before hand. Larue will NOT sell you a lower because you live in CA. Ask me how I know :mad:

Thanks, but that is not the question at hand. I am purchasing a UPPER ONLY from them. I have 2 Sun Devil Lowers on the way to IA in a few weeks. I need the LPK, Stock, and BB as well in order to complete my first build.

-Gio

CHS
12-10-2008, 5:52 PM
It's Larue, they are both awesome. You want a 16", so just get the one that you think is better looking and/or is cheaper.

Personally, I like the stealth sniper in 18".

Gio
12-10-2008, 6:01 PM
It's Larue, they are both awesome. You want a 16", so just get the one that you think is better looking and/or is cheaper.

Personally, I like the stealth sniper in 18".

Cool thanks, I do have an 18" just because I am already getting a 20" bull kit from a friend. Plus I am not really going to be using it for home defense but at the range and being a Safe Queen :P Damn ammo is so much for the AR's :eek:

-Gio

aplinker
12-10-2008, 8:58 PM
They're basically the same, except for the front sight base and coating on the barrel.

If I were using a low magnification or red-dot sight, I'd buy the DMR. If I were planning to run a scope, I'd choose the Stealth Sniper.

Gio
12-10-2008, 9:36 PM
They're basically the same, except for the front sight base and coating on the barrel.

If I were using a low magnification or red-dot sight, I'd buy the DMR. If I were planning to run a scope, I'd choose the Stealth Sniper.

Planning on just getting a red dot for now. But if I could run a scope for a decnt amount I would get that instead. Wow what a dilemma, I am also looking at a Noveske Upper as well, but the LaRue looks nicer. What to do:confused:

-Gio

J_Rock
12-10-2008, 9:38 PM
The larue isnt a very good idea if you plan to use a red dot. It has a medium contour barrel which is actually pretty weighty. It only weighs about 1.8 oz less than a heavy contour so the rifle will feel very front heavy. Its made to be a precision upper so if you arent going to take advantage of it by getting good glass and a good trigger and shooting high quality match ammo you might be better off with a noveske N4 recce.

My larue rig is pushing almost 10lbs unloaded with a scope and ~9lbs with a red dot.

Gio
12-10-2008, 9:41 PM
The larue isnt a very good idea if you plan to use a red dot. It has a medium contour barrel which is actually pretty weighty. It only weighs about 1.8 oz less than a heavy contour so the rifle will feel very front heavy. Its made to be a precision upper so if you arent going to take advantage of it by getting good glass and a good trigger and shooting high quality match ammo you might be better off with a noveske N4 recce.

Hmm good point, thanks for pointing that out. I am still in the process of building and piecing it together. I will see if my friend will sell me his scope off his bull upper he has for sale.

-Gio

Gio
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Went with the Noveske N4 14.5 Upper instead after all the good feedback I got, also ordered a Bushnell Trophy MP, and a ARMS 40L BUIS as well. Can use them both with either of my 2 AR builds, due tot he high cost of getting such an expensive upper with rails and foregrip and the rest of the build I am only going to be able to build one up. The second one will be a beater/budget build but mauybe after taxes are done. Thanks again for the help I received.

-Gio

aplinker
12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd buy the N4 RECCE before the 14.5" to get the mid-length gas system.

Gio
12-10-2008, 11:57 PM

Since I am still a n00b can I ask the difference between Carbine Length and the mid-length gas system?

If it is that big of a deal I think I will spend a few more bucks and possible get a 14.5 addax Mid-Length GPU instead even though it will take 6-8 weeks before they can ship it out. Also looking into the LWPR as well which run a little more then the Addax unit :43:

-Gio

aplinker
12-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Since I am still a n00b can I ask the difference between Carbine Length and the mid-length gas system?

If it is that big of a deal I think I will spend a few more bucks and possible get a 14.5 addax Mid-Length GPU instead even though it will take 6-8 weeks before they can ship it out. Also looking into the LWPR as well which run a little more then the Addax unit :43:

-Gio

Bro, you're trying to "reinvent the wheel" in this thread now that you've moved off of trying to decide between two uppers from LaRue and into the regular question of "what upper should I buy?"

Carbine vs. mid-length is the distance at which the gas port is drilled. There's lot of technical reasons, but from a user perspective you'll get better operation, less parts wear and failure, and a better shooter from a mid-length gas system (for a 14.5-16" barrel).

Did you mean LWRC? They're OK. Addax makes good GPs.

I'm of the opinion that 90% of AR users, and almost everyone in CA, is better served by DI. GPs are best for short (<14.5"), suppressed and FA guns.

J_Rock
12-11-2008, 6:57 AM
Good choice, the N4 lite series is pretty damn accurate for chromelined barrels. I too would suggest the midlength unless the extra 1.5" is crucial to you.

Also I'm starting to question the advantages of the piston system for suppressed and full auto use. As chris' thread on the HK416 pointed out the gun still gets pretty damn dirty with a can on.

cleanguy46
12-11-2008, 8:54 AM

Couldn't ask for any better advice then that! Never regreted my purchase and is a smooth operator.