PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

csterl
12-10-2008, 2:10 PM
I see a bunch of people selling the RRA CAR A2, CAR A4 flat top and the standard A4 flat top. If I put one of these on a RRA lower would it not then be a listed rifle? I know you have all probably answered this a million times but does the listed rifle have to come complete from the manufacture? For instance, if I took my RRA lower, put a DPMS LPK in it and put a RRA CAR A4 flat top upper on it would it not then be a listed rifle? Thanks for any help!

DannyT
12-10-2008, 2:29 PM
The list refers to the lower receiver only. The main restrictions on the upper are barrel length (no less than 16" including hider) and overall rifle length (no less than 30").

EDIT: I just looked at Appendix B and I see what you are referring to. It does specifically list the uppers you mentioned. Now I'm confused. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can fill us in.

csterl
12-10-2008, 3:07 PM
I am confused also- I got a couple of RRA lowers from J&J and for one I got a STAG 2HT upper so I am cool there but for the other one I got a CAR A4 rifle kit form RRA and I am wondering if I just screwed myself?

domokun
12-10-2008, 3:14 PM
The only part that you have to be concerned with in terms of being on the AW Listed by name ban list is the lower receiver for your AR-15 build. This is because by law the only thing considered as the firearm/gun is the lower receiver in this case. You nay use any upper receiver and lower parts kit that you'd like to have in/on it. If you got your RRA lower from J&J Armory then it has to be an off-list lower because they can't legally sell any on-list lowers to the general public if they had any on them.

domokun
12-10-2008, 3:21 PM
I am confused also- I got a couple of RRA lowers from J&J and for one I got a STAG 2HT upper so I am cool there but for the other one I got a CAR A4 rifle kit form RRA and I am wondering if I just screwed myself?

You're fine as it doesn't include the lower receiver. I hope you got the chrome line barrel one. :)

RobG
12-10-2008, 3:23 PM
Your lowers are GTG. Check this out carefully...

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Any upper is also GTG.

And yes, it has been asked a million times. Well a million +1 now;):p

PolishMike
12-10-2008, 3:27 PM
Your missing the Tapatio.

Too soon?

cleanguy46
12-10-2008, 5:34 PM
Your missing the Tapatio.

Too soon?

Funny! :smilielol5:

NeoWeird
12-10-2008, 6:26 PM
RRA is one of those VERY iffy areas, because ALL of the RRAs use the same lower, unlike companies like Colt which have different names for different models. RRA's lowers are not listed, but some of their models are. It's possible that you could use an off list RRA lower and assemble them into a configuration that is identical to one of the listed models. This is one of those areas where BWeise recommends against replicating a factory build, and I agree with him.

Do you think DOJ, or a DA, or more importantly a jury, is going to look at a RRA factory listed rifle that has a mag lock installed but is still banned because it is named and then look at you're rifle that is identical in all regards except you pieced it together, and say that yours is ok, but the other ins't?

Save yourself the trouble or even the worry and just buy a different upper, like a Bushmaster or one from the Armalite sale going on right now, and have the peace of mind of knowing that it can't be argued. They can try, but the facts are with you this way.

csterl
12-10-2008, 7:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! NeoWierd, that is the direction my mind was taking me, I think you are right, it's not worth the chance. Thank you.

jdberger
12-10-2008, 7:35 PM
Armalite's having a sale?!:punk:

csterl
12-10-2008, 7:36 PM
Your lowers are GTG. Check this out carefully...

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Any upper is also GTG.

And yes, it has been asked a million times. Well a million +1 now;):p

Thanks RobG but I did study the chart very carefully and in appendix B it specifically lists the RRA kit that I bought, the CAR A4 and since my lower is also an RRA it is exactly the same rifle that is on the banned list so that is where the confusion sets in.

domokun
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks RobG but I did study the chart very carefully and in appendix B it specifically lists the RRA kit that I bought, the CAR A4 and since my lower is also an RRA it is exactly the same rifle that is on the banned list so that is where the confusion sets in.

What really matters are the markings on the lower. If the markings on the lower receiver are exactly like the ones on the banned list then you have a definite problem. If the markings don't match then technically you don't have a banned AW as the markings on the lower receiver do not match the markings on a banned lower receiver.

Personally I'm with the folks on here in regards to not purchasing a brand of lower that is on the banned list just to be paranoid safe. You can see if you can purchase something like a Kaiser Defense lower from J&J and then sell the RRA one if that is something you're willing to consider. With this arrangement you can keep all the parts you've ordered and just use a different off-list receiver for peace of mind.

csterl
12-11-2008, 8:10 AM
What really matters are the markings on the lower. If the markings on the lower receiver are exactly like the ones on the banned list then you have a definite problem. If the markings don't match then technically you don't have a banned AW as the markings on the lower receiver do not match the markings on a banned lower receiver.

Personally I'm with the folks on here in regards to not purchasing a brand of lower that is on the banned list just to be paranoid safe. You can see if you can purchase something like a Kaiser Defense lower from J&J and then sell the RRA one if that is something you're willing to consider. With this arrangement you can keep all the parts you've ordered and just use a different off-list receiver for peace of mind.

Thank you for the input domokun, I do appreciate it. I think you are correct about not buying a lower from a manufacture that is on the list, it maybe is just not worth the hassle and the worry. I will probably keep the uppers that I have and sell off the RRA lowers and get a couple of OLL's from a company that is not named on the list at all. Thanks for the help!

Flat Broke
12-11-2008, 9:49 AM
It'd be cheaper just to buy a new upper receiver(not a complete upper) and swap/have everything swapped over into the new upper receiver. No dros hassles, the part can be shipped to your door, and in most cases will be less than the lower before dros. CMT upper receivers run around $125 for reference.

Chris