View Full Version : REMOVE

12-10-2008, 1:42 PM

12-10-2008, 1:46 PM
With all the panic buying, good luck trying to find a hammer.

12-10-2008, 1:52 PM
Buy a DPMS Multi-tool and that will cover carbine stock wrench, A2 buttstock screwdriver (and a lot of other needs for assemble/disassemble an upper). I have some of these in stock.

For a hammer and screwdriver, just go to home depot. You can buy all the other tools at Brownells but you really don't need them. Instead of a pivot pin installation tool just buy a 1/4" clevis pin - or use needle nose pliers and a flat box cutter knife blade. You can get basic flat punches at Home Depot as well.

Having said that I have a brass/polymer hammer, a set of the roll pin punches, and the starter punches and they do make life easier, but I drive a lot of roll pins on a regular basis so I can justify the expense.

12-10-2008, 1:58 PM
I am literally putting one together as I type this [taking a coffee break] and the only thing on that list you may need to order, is the castle nut wrench.

You can find roll pin punches at OSH, or Home Depot. Yes they may be steel, just be careful, tape up your receiver and take your time.
Roll Pin holder. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers.
Hammer. Like I said they just cant keep up with the demand.
Flat head screwdriver. see above
Pivot pin tool. A razor blade works just as well.

Re: the castle nut wrench: You can get away with a strap wrench, but the designed tool is good to have anyways.

You forgot one last tool:
***** punch found at your local hardware store.
You need to stake your castle nut to the end plate adapter with this.
No loctite, just stake it.

Dont get all wrapped around the specific tools, spend your left over cash on that backordered hammer.

12-10-2008, 1:59 PM
here's some tips and potential unconventional tools you may need

it's nice to have a complete set of punches because you can use them for holding things in place before you drive the pins in if not for driving pins in. btw if you get the brownells brass punch hammer set take note those black pin punches aren't the best quality, i broke one and i've since replaced them with craftsman pieces that look like they'd take down a brick outhouse.

12-10-2008, 2:00 PM
i just completed my lower last night actually. and home depot has everything u need for tools. i used old towels and 2x4 block to hold everything and to be honest didnt need to punches. i used my vise grips to put all the pins in. i put a pbnch of electrical tap on the ends as to not scratch anything. sounds ghetto but those punches werent working for me.

12-10-2008, 2:06 PM
I got myself one of these from the Reno gun show. The kit I got had a brass and a nylon hammer in it.

12-10-2008, 2:19 PM
Not necessary, but I put a couple of drops of blue loctitie on the threads of the buffer tube when tightening the castle nut. Keeps the castle nut from backing out when shooting.

12-10-2008, 2:26 PM
Don't really need anything except some electrical tape, hammer, razor blade, and try not to clip your nails because they come in handy. That's all I have ever used to complete a lower receiver.

Only specialty tool I use is a CAR wrench for the stock but even that I could do without.

check out this thread on AR15

12-10-2008, 5:28 PM
Stock wrench $6 shipped.

12-10-2008, 7:19 PM
I prefer using a large pair of vice-grips with the jaws electrical taped for installing the bolt release roll pin and the trigger guard roll pin.