PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunting

Dr.12ga
12-09-2008, 5:15 PM
Has anyone hunted San Jacinto recently. Id like to know if any ducks have migrated in good numbers to the area. Ive hunted three times at Wister, and its very disappointing so far.

chris
12-09-2008, 5:25 PM
yeah this year is pretty slow. i think after the full moon this weekend it should get better. but who knows. hopefully it freezes up north and the birds move out.

Dr.12ga
12-09-2008, 5:45 PM
its always the full moon in november thats supposed to bring them down

Thefeeder
12-09-2008, 7:20 PM
Has anyone hunted San Jacinto recently. Id like to know if any ducks have migrated in good numbers to the area. Ive hunted three times at Wister, and its very disappointing so far.

Number are starting to show in the North Valley...Should be down with a good set of storms...If we ever get a storm.. Daliy averages are in the 3.5 per hunter range in the valley.

Barbarossa
12-09-2008, 7:37 PM
Number are starting to show in the North Valley...Should be down with a good set of storms...If we ever get a storm.. Daliy averages are in the 3.5 per hunter range in the valley.

Sac NWR area had a lot of "new" birds this last weekend. 3 mallards and a soup-lip for me on Sunday. 1 teal on sat.

Dr.12ga
12-09-2008, 8:07 PM
well it looks like im gonna head out to san jacinto on saturday, so we will see if anything moves with the cold weather around here

Thefeeder
12-09-2008, 8:09 PM
Sac NWR area had a lot of "new" birds this last weekend. 3 mallards and a soup-lip for me on Sunday. 1 teal on sat.

Did ya put the $3.00 in the Neopalitian Mallard jar?

leverage
12-09-2008, 8:53 PM
Went 12-3 and was on marsh A. Lots of fog, no ducks.

Full Clip
12-09-2008, 9:02 PM
Was up in Williams/Princeton area 11/29-12/1.
Some thick fog, lots of high-flying geese (and we had a shot at some low-flying Canadians but blew it) and very few ducks. Specifically, zero teal.

Dr.12ga
12-09-2008, 9:19 PM
I was at wister on november 22nd, nothing but sea gulls. I mean flocks of 700-800 gulls. saw maybe 4 shovelers in the early morning. Last year there were geese flying like the gulls this year. Opening day dove was crapptastic too...stupid global warming

tankerman
12-09-2008, 9:35 PM
Weather is supposed to move in later this week, should be cold and rain coming, should get everything moving......hopefully.

spectr17
12-10-2008, 1:43 AM
The boyz up north are saying this is the biggest freeze in a couple years. Should be a big push down this weekend. We might get the tail end of it at Cibola Sunday.

chris
12-10-2008, 6:19 AM

would that soup lip be a spoony? :)

sargenv
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I was hunting on dad's club near Willows on Sat. We had singles and pairs fading in and out of the fog all morning. We managed to get 7 or 8 mixed birds by about 10:30. When the fog lifted around 11am, that's when the birds really started working. The other fellow called in a small flock of 4 widgeon, they circled around 4 or 5 times.. when they came in on final, not one of them made it back into the air.. The dog had no idea which bird to go chase.. :D We finished the day getting another two green heads.. I finished with 3 mallards, 3 widgeon, and a teal.

I may head up to Delevan this Sat... I'll be bringing a newb to hunt with me.. It will likely be an ok day if it's stormy.

Gunaria
12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I usually hit up San Jacinto every Wednesday, but not yesterday. Decided to go to Wister since my buddy had the No. #1 ressie. We got a couple of snows and teals yesterday. There's still lot of gulls but starting to see a lot more snows and even a couple of honkers out there. As for San Jacinto, the best Wednesday my bro & I've had we got 11 ducks, 1 Red Head & 10 Ruddy's. Most other times it is usually a coot shoot or we get one duck or none.

Barbarossa
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Did ya put the $3.00 in the Neopalitian Mallard jar?

Laff!

would that soup lip be a spoony? :)

Yes , yes.. it was a laughing mallard.

Was up in Williams/Princeton area 11/29-12/1.
Some thick fog, lots of high-flying geese (and we had a shot at some low-flying Canadians but blew it) and very few ducks. Specifically, zero teal.

you mean Willows/Princeton area?

I'm right off the Norman Princeton road.