PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is everyone with their pistols??

bin31z
12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey guys, I have a USP .45 and I just started shooting about 2 years ago. I was wondering how accurate you guys were with your pistols and what is average. I went to the range yesterday and taking about 5-6 seconds per shot I can get all my shots within a 6 inch diameter circle at 25 yards with a couple of fliers. How well do you guys do with your respective pistols (1911, Sig, Glock, etc.)?

BamBam-31
12-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I think this thread should be in the regular Handguns section, not the Gallery.

Anyways, I can get hit the 100 yd. steel gong at Angeles Shooting Range (approx. 14" in diameter) 90-100% of the time with my G17, CZ SP-01, and Sig X5 Comp.

Since this the Gallery, here's a pic of the steel at ASR. (The one I'm talking about is the second one from the left, next to the ram, all the way back.)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/HORSEMotivationPoster2.jpg

Vacaville
12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I've never given much thought to measurement or how others are doing. My focus is on my own stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger control; and I do the best I can with the gun in my hand. It's kind of like bowling or golf, I just keep trying to do better than I've done previously, and that is my reward.

That said, a lot of accuracy depends on which gun I'm using. I have a single-action Ruger Blackhawk with which I can probably shoot 4" groups at 25 yards. But it's got a trigger pull of maybe 3 lbs. I can shoot 6" groups at 15 yards and be doing great with my Taurus 85. The Taurus has fixed sights, little Ladysmith-type grips, and a 2 1/2" barrel (it's real purty). Not the type of gun you'd expect to shoot tiny groups with - but that's not the purpose of a snubbie, is it?

Not even taking shooting skills into account, unless you've got people using very similar guns with similar ammunition I think there are way too many variables involved to form any meaningful comparisons.

jlb
01-11-2009, 1:57 PM
rapid fire at 25 yrds with my 4" 1911
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr238/picturesjlb/targets001.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr238/picturesjlb/targets002.jpg

Salty
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Beretta M9A1 / 92FS (9mm): 4-6" at 7yards, usually down and to the left
Ruger MkIII (.22): <1-2" at 7 yards
Various Revolvers (38 special, .357, .44 mag): 2-4" at 7 yards
Bersa .380: 1-4" at 7 yards

The lower figured are if I'm trying hard. As you can see, I don't shoot the Beretta very well. Others who have shot it can do 1-3", but it just doesn't work for me, I think it's a hand fit issue, I'd like to replace it with a CZ or Sig. If I try hard, I'm almost scary accurate with the Ruger and Bersa (in my opinion). Also most of my handgun shooting has been at a dimly lit indoor range, the few times I've shot at an outdoor range on a sunny day I was doing what I do indoors at 7 yards at outdoors at 15 yards.

Trendkill
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Must suck to be Mike.

jlh95811
01-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I really only practice for things I think I'd actually use my pistols for. 100 yards may be fun but not very practical. I shoot at 7 yards at target and try to knock things around(trash mostly) at 25 yards.

At 7 yards
with my XD 45 4" I group 4-5" rapid fire. About 10 rounds per 5 seconds
with my Springfield 1911 loaded 5" I get 4" at same fire rate.

I do pretty well knocking things around at 25 yards but not much cause it wastes ammo and I'm not setup for reloading yet.

Anything over 25 yards and it's rifle time baby!

SanSacto
01-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I will be honest, I am horrible. After several gun purchases I still do not find it in my budget to actually use my toys. I just keep budgeting and saving for my next purchase that I won't shoot much either.

jlh95811
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I will be honest, I am horrible. After several gun purchases I still do not find it in my budget to actually use my toys. I just keep budgeting and saving for my next purchase that I won't shoot much either.

Maybe you need to sell some of them to me then. Or trade for some ammo, again, to me! :thumbsup:

Black Majik
01-12-2009, 12:51 AM

Anyways, I can get hit the 100 yd. steel gong at Angeles Shooting Range (approx. 14" in diameter) 90-100% of the time with my G17, CZ SP-01, and Sig X5 Comp.

Since this the Gallery, here's a pic of the steel at ASR. (The one I'm talking about is the second one from the left, next to the ram, all the way back.)

I'll also borrow this picture since I shoot the same targets Bambam does. :D

Unfortunately that picture is a little out dated. They replaced my pig with a frickin' 3" chicken... at 100 yards.

BamBam-31
01-12-2009, 3:23 AM
Geez, I had a bad day today. I should amend that "90-100%" to 70-80%. :p

I'll also borrow this picture since I shoot the same targets Bambam does.

Borrow it? You took it! :D

I really only practice for things I think I'd actually use my pistols for. 100 yards may be fun but not very practical. I shoot at 7 yards at target and try to knock things around(trash mostly) at 25 yards.

You have any idea how ridiculously close seven yards looks after you've been shooting at 100 yds.? It's not that you're practicing to engage BG's at 100 yds., it's honing of the basic principles of pistol marksmanship (trigger control, sight alignment, etc.) to a level where you could literally pick off the buttons on a guy's shirt seven yards away. How's that for practical? That's why cops have 50 yd. shots in their Quals.

ETA: Don't worry, we do sometimes engage at ridiculously close ranges at our more dynamic run'n'gun shoots. Not quite the Suarez International Speed Rock, but you get the idea. ;)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Burro8-24-08174.jpg

BP88
01-12-2009, 3:26 AM

It's all good, I'm not the best shot either. It's all about having fun... and remember that you can always improve with some range time.

BamBam-31
01-12-2009, 3:38 AM
SanSacto, invest in a .22lr (Ruger, Browning, etc.). A brick of .22's is $10, and that's 500 shots of non-flinch-inducing practice. You can't afford not to. ;)

freakshow10mm
01-12-2009, 5:18 AM
Glock 30 I do OK with. Usually a couple of inches inside 25ft or so. Good enough for its purpose.

HK P7 makes me look good. 7y groups under an inch for a mag full. Open up to 1.5-2" at 50 ft. This is by far the most accurate gun I own.

The Desert Eagle 50AE can hold its own. Pretty accurate. Have to wait until spring to take it outside and test long range.

The 10mm 1911 can print cloverleafs at 25ft easy.

lehn20
01-12-2009, 6:01 AM
accuracy is relative!
I can shoot 200M Steel 11x14 with my G19 if I take my time. But it is not realistic in the real world. It does promote some basic skillset though.
Try shooting 100M steel after a 100 yard sprint or 20 push-ups & jumping jacks. I promise your success rate will drop.
In a firefight you will have an adrenalin dump and your heartrate will skyrocket. You might forget everything you know and get tunnelvision, freeze up etc. Unless you are a combat battle hardned who has been in firefights before.
I see good shooters wig out when stress is introduced. Even a shot timer or a small audience makes good shooters mess themselves up.
The real world is 360 degrees of 2 way range. Shoot, move and communicate and you will dominate a firefight. Noone should be static and just stand there squezing of rounds without improving their tactical situation.

Besides accuracy shooting in done on paper targets, combat shooting on steel.

Ironchef
01-12-2009, 9:29 AM
I only have one handgun and with that M&P9, I'm very confident at hitting a 6" target under stress from 25 yards in. I'm good at controlling and placing good, fast follow up shots (mozambique) at 15 yards and less. I can hit a 2 foot target about 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards...but I've only done this on one day for fun, while at panoche! And i can hit a target at 200 yards up a hill once in a while! Very fun to lob bullets that far.

BamBam-31
01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
accuracy is relative!
I can shoot 200M Steel 11x14 with my G19 if I take my time. But it is not realistic in the real world. It does promote some basic skillset though.
Try shooting 100M steel after a 100 yard sprint or 20 push-ups & jumping jacks. I promise your success rate will drop.
In a firefight you will have an adrenalin dump and your heartrate will skyrocket. You might forget everything you know and get tunnelvision, freeze up etc. Unless you are a combat battle hardned who has been in firefights before.
I see good shooters wig out when stress is introduced. Even a shot timer or a small audience makes good shooters mess themselves up.
The real world is 360 degrees of 2 way range. Shoot, move and communicate and you will dominate a firefight. Noone should be static and just stand there squezing of rounds without improving their tactical situation.

Besides accuracy shooting in done on paper targets, combat shooting on steel.

You make some good points. I was actually going to point out how accuracy at a static range is just one part, bits and pieces of what you'd need in a real firefight. Along with static shooting, one would also benefit greatly from participating in run'n'gun comps like IDPS/IPSC/USPSA, FoF training, and defensive handgun classes (like the Suarez Int. close-range gunfighting class).

Where I disagree with you, however, is where you refer to pistol marksmanship as "some basic skillset." Better than me have said that accuracy is the most fundamental and hardest skill to master. When the S hits the F, your accuracy will be a fraction of what it is when shooting slowfire at a static range. Why not have as much accuracy as possible to begin with?

lehn20
01-12-2009, 8:11 PM
I should have phrased it differently.
I meant to shoot at 100-200yards with handguns you need your fundamentals covered.
The further away the target gets the more you have to rely on the basics.
Most Competion shooting has nothing to do with real life either. IDPA is ok IMO.
And I am sure you can find better classes than Suarez. FOF is however some awesome training and very important.

Captain Evilstomper
01-12-2009, 8:33 PM
i can hit anything at 50 ft with my dad's s&w 41.
but that gun is more accurate than you and everyone you know.

BamBam-31
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Most Competion shooting has nothing to do with real life either. IDPA is ok IMO.
And I am sure you can find better classes than Suarez. FOF is however some awesome training and very important.

IDPA has nothing to do with "real life." FoF training (airsoft/simunitions) has nothing to do with "real life." In fact, nothing has anything to do with "real life" but "real life," and that means getting into real gunfights where the other guy draws on you and starts firing real bullets in your general direction. If that's your criteria for training, either you're a real badass (because you're still alive and posting), or you're talking out of your bunghole.

I tend to take a more open-minded approach to shooting as a whole. Again, you can take bits and pieces from everything (static shooting, competitions, classes, etc.), and it's up to you to put it all together when the S hits the proverbial F. In other words, they're all great learning opportunities, and to dismiss one or the other simply because it's not "real life" is mental "tunnelvision."

And the Suarez class we took was VERY good. Richard Coplin and Uli Gephard were very knowledgeable and excellent instructors. Don't let Gabe's poor online rep dissuade you. My friends and I may take more, time and funds permitting. Have you taken any of their classes, or are you merely speculating?

Black Majik
01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I should have phrased it differently.
IDPA is ok IMO.

I'm not really sure how IDPA is ok compared with others such as USPSA and IPSC.

All three are gamed, especially in CA when carry isn't as prominent as other states. When you are in a real gun fight, are you going to shoot dry, count your rounds so you drop an empty mag or do a tactical reload? All of those will get you killed in a "real life" gunfight.

We can all armchair quarterback this, since I've never been in a gunfight. I sure as hell don't want to. But I'm not gonna get "training" from shooting IDPA either.

strangerdude
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll be honest, on average I do hit my silhouette but not with the grouping I would like. When shooting a handgun I never learned to stop anticipating my shots, how can I overcome this?

9M61
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Shoot slower and work your speed up overtime.

Drawing and shooting rapidly, I shoot about a 3-4" group at 10 yards. I'm not a great shot, but I don't train to shoot tight groups either. I train to shoot a target the size of a chest.

strangerdude
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I heard shooting a .22 is a good way to practice this?

OnSightFirearms
01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I'll be honest, on average I do hit my silhouette but not with the grouping I would like. When shooting a handgun I never learned to stop anticipating my shots, how can I overcome this?

Now I apologize, but all of my training and experience is Military and self improvement on that.

I am a PMI for the Army and I operate a firearms training facility.

You have already identified the issue so you are a step ahead. It takes a little effort and discipline to keep at it, but ONE way is you can use a dime or empty shell casing...(depending on your weapon).

Anyway, balance it on the front of your weapon and practice dry firing your weapon a few times....slow steady squeeze to the rear and the hammer fall should be a surprise.

If you are dropping or knocking it off the tip of your weapon you are jerking, dipping your muzzle and effecting your grouping. That 'anticipation' is you acting like a compensator.

Practice Practice Practice.

BTW I shoot about a 5-6" group 15-30 rounds, 3-5 seconds per round, with a Ruger P89 and Beretta 92F(my usual) at the back of the barn (25 meters). admittedly with a few fly aways and one or two in the head. :)

accuracy is relative!
In a firefight you will have an adrenalin dump and your heartrate will skyrocket. You might forget everything you know and get tunnelvision, freeze up etc. Unless you are a combat battle hardned who has been in firefights before. I see good shooters wig out when stress is introduced. Shoot, move and communicate and you will dominate a firefight. Noone should be static and just stand there squezing of rounds without improving their tactical situation. Besides accuracy shooting in done on paper targets, combat shooting on steel.

Awesome post...Well said and right on the money. Paper is MARKSMANSHIP, REFLEXIVE Firing is the best weapons training...especially since most 'real targets' shoot and move too!...too mny people keep weapons for "self defense", yet without training, in a clinch, could not use them as accurately as they beleive.

Invisible_Dave
01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
I shoot exactly where I point the gun when the hammer falls...everytime:winkiss: I learned to shoot on a .38 revolver. My dad would load 4 live rounds and 2 "dead rounds" and then hand me the gun. IDK if it worked but it gave me great feedback.

OnSightFirearms
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I shoot exactly where I point the gun when the hammer falls...everytime:winkiss: I learned to shoot on a .38 revolver. My dad would load 4 live rounds and 2 "dead rounds" and then hand me the gun. IDK if it worked but it gave me great feedback.

That was an awesome drill....totally catches you by surprise...excellent tool!

OnSightFirearms
01-14-2009, 1:13 PM
rapid fire at 25 yrds with my 4" 1911

Found this hanging inside my son's closet door....30 rounds Rapid Fire...Ruger P89, 9mm...25 yards...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/johnnybright/targetpic2.jpg

Rudolf the Red
01-19-2009, 9:17 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/rudolfthered/22target.jpg

Kimber Rimfire Target, CCI SV 40gr LN, 20 yds., 10min., one hand unsupported.

It was my first time all in the black. 2/07

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/rudolfthered/45target.jpg

Custom 1927 Colt Systema built by Don Williams in AZ, CCI Blazer FMJ, 20 yds., 10min., one hand unsupported

My best CF slowfire score to date. 91. 12/06

Yes. I saved the frigging targets!

It took me 2000 rounds and about 4 months of practice to get that top 84 in rimfire slowfire. The centirefire 91 was absolutely the best shooting of my life. I felt like a human Ransom Rest for that part of the NMC.

I have now moved to 10m Int'l Air Pistol. After 2 months of practice and about 600 pellets, I got a 503/600 at the State Championships last weekend.

It's all about practice and good technical skills. Anyone can shoot well if they decide they want to. I know that I can only get better. :)

eijjie33
01-19-2009, 9:44 PM
i don't keep my targets,cause every time i go to the range is just to releave stress.anyway i do have a vid of me shooting my p228.you can see the vid attached.don't know the distance but on the vid it shows me shooting 10rd to the body & another 10rd aimed at the head

the_donald_
01-20-2009, 2:40 PM
Accuracy at 20 ft. - Approx. 1 Inch Groupings:

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr306/the_donald_/100_5492.jpg

Hardware - Kimber Custom II:

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr306/the_donald_/100_5412a.jpg

virulosity
02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/VIRULOSITY/p7.jpg

Bruce3
03-17-2009, 11:10 PM
6 rounds @ 7 yards with my Glock 19

Black Majik
03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
6 rounds @ 7 yards with my Glock 19

Nice shooting Kenny. :thumbsup:

JeffM
03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Some friends of mine and I were shooting rifles & pistols and while reloading magazines this jackrabit hops onto the range.

Glock 22, 1 shot, 40 yards, 2 witnesses

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/JeffMsJunk/IMG_1272a.jpg

Shotgun Dave
03-18-2009, 7:58 PM
First time out with the new XD. I believe 15 yards?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m293/davidjungchu/downsized_0311091216.jpg

yallknowho
03-18-2009, 8:14 PM
I shot a clay pidgeon in midair once.

jumbopanda
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I hit soda cans at about 100yds offhand with my .22lr pistol before. Four hits...about four hundred tries. :p :thumbsup:

HCz
03-22-2009, 1:31 AM
Accuracy at 20 ft. - Approx. 1 Inch Groupings:

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr306/the_donald_/100_5492.jpg

Admit it. You hung the target upside down and shot the smiley face.:eek:

Good shooting!:thumbsup:

Vtec44
03-22-2009, 1:57 AM
I'm can hit the paper target up to about 10 yards. Beyond that, I'm lucky to hit anything :D

B.D.Dubloon
03-22-2009, 2:00 AM
I have a lot of fun when I am shooting. Let's just leave it at that:thumbsup:

Fjold
03-22-2009, 9:10 AM
I'm absolutely horrible. I took a couple of handguns to the range yesterday to play with after I got done shooting my rifles and was lucky to hold an 8" bullseye at 15 yards firing offhand. I used to shoot about 1,500 rounds a month with my handguns but now I might shoot 100 rounds a year.

762cavalier
03-22-2009, 9:22 AM
I can hit the broadside of a badguy if I need to.:thumbsup:

Actually I am most accurate with my Ruger P89 because I have used it the most.

Have a harder time keeping small groups with my XD40 subcompact though:(

thejackamo
03-22-2009, 9:31 AM
I just started shooting a few months back, so I'm not terribly good. 3 inch groups at 10 yards, and I can usually maintain 5 inch groups at 20 yards. That's with a USP compact 9mm, so I'm sure I could do better with a full size pistol.

Bird of Fire
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
This is me on a good day right handed:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/186463/guns/IMG_2943.JPG

Shooting lefty one handed I'm downright laughable. Lucky to hit paper. You could really just picture the above image with just one hole in it in the corner somewhere, same thing.

kkun
03-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Just went the other day with my sister. I'm a beginner but here is my 1st set of 10 from 7-8 yards. About 5 seconds each.

Shot with a rental USP9 (my 2nd time using it)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3379544467_49f233bc35.jpg?v=0

and here is my 2nd set of 10
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3379544491_6af20941fb.jpg?v=0

thejackamo
03-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Shooting lefty one handed I'm downright laughable. Lucky to hit paper. You could really just picture the above image with just one hole in it in the corner somewhere, same thing.

Oh man, I always want to practice shooting left handed, but I'm afraid of people looking over at my target and thinking "Wow, that guy is a horrible shot." I can manage to get good groups, but they're all about 5 inches to the right, so if I'm going for center-mass I end up with all my shots at the [target's] left ribcage. Just need to keep at it, I suppose.

Bird of Fire
03-25-2009, 1:04 PM
Oh man, I always want to practice shooting left handed, but I'm afraid of people looking over at my target and thinking "Wow, that guy is a horrible shot." I can manage to get good groups, but they're all about 5 inches to the right, so if I'm going for center-mass I end up with all my shots at the [target's] left ribcage. Just need to keep at it, I suppose.

Doesn't matter to me what others think. If I'm burning ammo I'm having fun. I usually do 50 rounds two handed, next 25 right handed, last 25 rounds left handed. I just can't pull the trigger smoothly or consistently with my left hand is all. Practice practice.... :thumbsup:

BamBam-31
03-25-2009, 2:45 PM
I'm absolutely horrible. I took a couple of handguns to the range yesterday to play with after I got done shooting my rifles and was lucky to hold an 8" bullseye at 15 yards firing offhand. I used to shoot about 1,500 rounds a month with my handguns but now I might shoot 100 rounds a year.

Yeah, but I'd give anything to shoot rifles like you do. ;)

Bryan16
03-25-2009, 3:02 PM
For some reason all of my shots on my Glock 29 always go left. My Sig is always dead on. Is there something I might be doing wrong with the Glock? Any input would be appreciated.

BamBam-31
03-25-2009, 3:06 PM
Have someone who is a known good pistol shot shoot both. It may be that the sights are off on the Glock, or it may be that you're flinching with the Glock (trigger pull and recoil may be more than on the Sig). Hard to say w/o more input.

Bryan16
03-25-2009, 4:05 PM
Thanks. The rangemaster shot the Glock after he noticed my shots were all left. He said I was flinching however his shots were also left. He did not suggest any remedies though. I'm still new to the Glock but the G29 is my off duty weapon so I would like to figure out if it's me or the gun.

Black Majik
03-25-2009, 4:07 PM
Thanks. The rangemaster shot the Glock after he noticed my shots were all left. He said I was flinching however his shots were also left. He did not suggest any remedies though. I'm still new to the Glock but the G29 is my off duty weapon so I would like to figure out if it's me or the gun.

You can try benching it at an outdoor range with more distance and better support/rests.

M1A Rifleman
03-25-2009, 4:12 PM
I watched a cop on NRA TV fire his competition match grade 1911 in 9mm, at 25 yds, standing, off hand and put 10 rnds into about a 2-inch circle, which he commented he can do all day long with that gun. I was impressed.

thejackamo
03-31-2009, 8:05 PM
Doesn't matter to me what others think. If I'm burning ammo I'm having fun. I usually do 50 rounds two handed, next 25 right handed, last 25 rounds left handed. I just can't pull the trigger smoothly or consistently with my left hand is all. Practice practice.... :thumbsup:

Also I just noticed this what's with the Black Mesa grips?!? Those are SWEET!

Bird of Fire
03-31-2009, 8:10 PM
Heh. That was my gift to me aka - I had 100 bucks to blow on grips.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/186463/Image2.jpg

Long time FPS PC gamer going back to the Doom days. I went to gungrips.net and emailed the guy a couple images of what I had in mind. He played around in photoshop with my ideas and about 120 bucks and 3 days later I had em in my hands. Nice too, I dig the alumagrips. :) Numbers are the date HL1 was originally release. If you want something custom and unique, hit them up, they were a pleasure to deal with.

thejackamo
03-31-2009, 8:28 PM
Heh. That was my gift to me aka - I had 100 bucks to blow on grips.

Long time FPS PC gamer going back to the Doom days. I went to gungrips.net and emailed the guy a couple images of what I had in mind. He played around in photoshop with my ideas and about 120 bucks and 3 days later I had em in my hands. Nice too, I dig the alumagrips. :) Numbers are the date HL1 was originally release. If you want something custom and unique, hit them up, they were a pleasure to deal with.

I had to do a double take cause I noticed the lambda on there. That's really cool, man. I'm also glad you can shoot better than Barney :p

rtlltj
05-06-2009, 7:04 PM
This was last weekend after about 1600 rounds through my first pistol (Glock 19) Both were at 15 yards. This first pic is right after I got my first handgun last summer.

Last summer:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/rtlltj/IMG_0418.jpg

Last weekend:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/rtlltj/IMG_0840.jpg

Last weekend:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/rtlltj/IMG_0841.jpg

Crazed_SS
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
http://members.cox.net/2000ss/guns/1911tac.jpg
http://members.cox.net/2000ss/guns/1911vis.jpg

BrokenArrow
05-08-2009, 9:11 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/BrokenArrow13/a020.jpg

chilly_bill
05-10-2009, 6:18 PM
I went to the range yesterday. Took my Valtro 1911 and rented Glocks and HK .40's. At 15 yards 2 1/2" to 3" groups with the 1911, 6"-7" with the HK and 8 or so with the Glocks. I'd need to get used to the polymer guns of course, but still, that was a dramatic difference. (Loved that HK:))

Kingofthehill
05-10-2009, 6:30 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/6p9lyf.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/205e82v.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/vru99d.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wedg1k.jpg

Shawn L
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
My XD40 and Para CCW at 20 yards, 100 rounds.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z279/splinse/0504091609.jpg

Knight
05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
This is the only target I have a digital picture of. First time out shooting my BHP, 25 feet, 50 rounds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/KnightForums/Guns/BHP/BHP115gr50rds35feet.jpg

chickenfried
05-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Don't know what's so impressive about that, 99% of internet gun forum posters can do that :p.

I watched a cop on NRA TV fire his competition match grade 1911 in 9mm, at 25 yds, standing, off hand and put 10 rnds into about a 2-inch circle, which he commented he can do all day long with that gun. I was impressed.

Sinixstar
05-11-2009, 12:12 AM
With the .45 - I use standard 25-yard slow-fire competition targets at 15-20 yards.
Taking my time, I can keep 'em all in the black. Rapid fire - I can keep 'em all on paper. Mostly all within at least the 5 ring, but a few outside.

Not great - but "good enough" if I had to use it. Still getting used to the gun, and getting used to shooting handguns again in general. Placement has tightened up a bit over the last few hundred rounds. We'll see how the next few months goes if I can bring that in more - but for now I'm perfectly confident i'd hit a chest sized target from across the house with every shot. That's as good as I *need* to be, but I *want* to be better. :D

Gio
05-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Not the best shot and I had to start shooting the edges for fun since the middle was knocked out. Brand spanking new Glock 17 with my 33 round pre ban mag, using handloads. 1.100" OAL, 4.2 grains of Titegroup and Montana Gold 115 Grain FMJ. Oh yeah target was out to the 7 yard line :D

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/eastbaysti/007.jpg

I think I did alright, I think the small holes in the right hand corner was from my friend shooing his airsoft at my target as I was bringing back in. I believe all my rounds hit inside of the orange 5.5" target. I will be going out soon and trying to do better next time. Not bad for not shooting a Glock 17 in 7 months time.

-Gio

M. D. Van Norman
05-11-2009, 9:23 AM
Lot of good fish stories on this thread. ;)

Im just okay myself, but the faults are my own. These were all in the 21- to 25-foot range.

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/webleyvi-20080827-80005.jpg
Its never the gun (in this case a 90-year-old Webley revolver crudely converted to .45 ACP).

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/m1927-65211-20090505-6.jpg
This pistol is over 50 years old, but I have no such excuse.

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/k9target-20050403.jpg
Heres a modern pistol with good sights and a smooth trigger.

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/hs1911a1-20081031-6.jpg
I must have gotten lucky.

Ill keep working on those one-hole groups at 25/50/100 yards.

oversteerdawg
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Rounds at 10 yds
Sig P220 ST and cheap range reloads
http://i44.tinypic.com/im3qmc.jpg

"Who, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy."

Pistolwhipped
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Four shots at 15yrds, two shots at a time with 3 seconds inbetween shots.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/kgracom/DSCF0184.jpg

PatriotnMore
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I want to see a :) face at 25 yards, and I'll buy the beer.

johnthomas
07-01-2009, 12:44 PM

If I was able to hit that one, it would be a fluke. I had to squint my eyes just to see what you were talking about, lol. Most of my practice with a handgun has been with close quarters in mind, 5 to 10 yards. For me, my handguns are for personal protection. Here is a silly question, do you find that being able to hit a target at 100 yards with a handgun makes it easier to hit one at a much closer range?

9mm+P
07-01-2009, 1:36 PM
Highly Accurate, But only with NATO spec Ammo in my M9 or +P's

Black Majik
07-01-2009, 2:15 PM
If I was able to hit that one, it would be a fluke. I had to squint my eyes just to see what you were talking about, lol. Most of my practice with a handgun has been with close quarters in mind, 5 to 10 yards. For me, my handguns are for personal protection. Here is a silly question, do you find that being able to hit a target at 100 yards with a handgun makes it easier to hit one at a much closer range?

Yes. Much easier.

oversteerdawg
07-01-2009, 7:42 PM
I want to see a :) face at 25 yards, and I'll buy the beer.

Fat Tire Ale please

http://i43.tinypic.com/213n0jd.jpg

Tonk
07-01-2009, 8:18 PM
I believe if some of you Pistolero's tried tried the excercise below, you might benefit a bunch come a real showdown on the streets etc. This excercise is about drawing your pistol, while you are moving backward laterally "quickly" (your life depends on moving quick!) and shooting at the bullseye on the human silhouette, you would find out real quick what your chances are in a real gunfight on the streets. I sometimes use those orange circle stickers 6 inch in diameter or 8 inch pie plates that are much cheaper.

You should always do this exercise several times in the "Dry Fire Mode" NO LIVE ROUNDS IN THE PISTOL!!! You start off slowly until you get the feel of things etc. Now when you start to use LIVE rounds int he pistol, start off once again very slow and build up on your speed down the road.

I suggest in this excercise, you start off at 6 to 10 ft first, (forgetabout the 25 yards! things that happen on the street are up close and personal like) have someone blow a whistle or say GO and draw your pistol while moving backwards in the same motion, in a diagonally direction out to 25 ft. or so away from the target.

You come on target as fast as you can, getting your sight picture and firing your weapon at the target during the entire time it takes you to reach 25 or 30 ft. in distance from the target. Next time try the same excercise in the opposite direction. Right handed people move right easier than going left and the same holds true for left handed people. You can use paper plates for the vital kill zone on the human

It's not as easy as it sounds trust me. Afterwards you can add a double target 4 to 6 ft apart from each other. Your goal is to score hits on both targets while moving once again backward in a diagonal direction away from the targets, while you fire on both targets. You want to hit each target at least twice!

Now at first just shoot no more than 3 shots at the single target and 2 shots a piece at the double targets. Later on when you become more accurate, you can increase your firing rate (as much as you want) as your hits score more in the vitals. This is an excercise that might keep you safe in a real shootout on the streets! ;) :)

Casual_Shooter
07-02-2009, 8:35 AM
First time out with my P220R Stainless. One magazine per target. For #6, I shot at the area between the top two targets and that hole became the aiming point.

Was shooting very slowly at around 7 yards.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/dvflyer/Guns/Sig%20Sauer/P220Rfirsttimeout.jpg

PatriotnMore
07-02-2009, 8:49 AM
Nice, I like the ingenuity, one Fat Tire coming up.

Fat Tire Ale please

http://i43.tinypic.com/213n0jd.jpg