PDA

View Full Version : My pig hunting story from this mornings hunt

mk3mitch
12-05-2008, 9:23 AM
So I went pig hunting this morning for the first time in about three years.The ranch I hunt had some issues and I couldn't hunt for the past year and a half. So anyway. Me and my dad are driving this road with a medium sized canyon on our right. I spot a pig about 275 yards away. We could have gotten it with our .270 but I wanted to use my new Russian SKS with open sights. So my father stayed back at the truck and I proceeded to stalk the pig. Now I haven't been pig hunting for awhile, so to me this guy looked about 80 pounds and male, I could tell by his body shape and adolesent males usually have a stage where they roam alone before getting bigger.It was far away and there were no other other pigs around to set it to scale. I stalk this thing and get about 125 yards away, when all of a sudden my dad yells "COYOTE!". This stupid , LARGE coyote is running right by me! So I froze for a second not knowing if I wanted the coyote or pig. So stupid me decides to open fire on a coyote running full speed. I miss three times. Look over, the pig, which I now realize now is at least 250 pounds sprints off, I fire three times at him! Hitting nothing! haha. Anyway, it was a REALLY fun hunt. I'm glad I didn't hit the Boar because it would have taken me all day to haul it out of the canyon. And off all the years on the ranch, I have never been that close to a Yote, the second they see a truck the run full speed away. I didn't get anythig, but it was some real up close action (even though I have taken pigs at around ten yards before) ;)

PorkLover
12-06-2008, 8:00 AM
you know what they say, a bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work.....thanks for sharing......

Saigon1965
12-06-2008, 8:07 AM
I take it you'll be going back soon -

Shotgun Man
12-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Nice story, but if you're hunting pig and a coyote runs by, you ignore the coyote and stick to hunting pig.

stphnman20
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Nice story, but if you're hunting pig and a coyote runs by, you ignore the coyote and stick to hunting pig.
Good point!