View Full Version : Pig Hunting Ranch/Guides in California Recommendations

12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Hello All,

Just wondering for all the hunters out there. A close friend of mine
has been diagnosed with cancer. It supposedly was an easy case and
treatment. However, it seems to have developed into something more

Anyhow, just wanted to see what was available out there. My friend
always wanted to go pig hunting. I've always been an upland game type,
but will entertain a pig hunt for my friend.

My friend has always been in top athletic shape for his age (31) could trek
for miles and not phase him. However, under the circumstances can only
hike short moderate trails.

I was looking for a ranch style guide service, which I know costs more and less sporty but need to come back with a comfirmed pig. Times limited in his condition.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12-03-2008, 12:35 PM

12-03-2008, 1:02 PM

a friend of mine runs this ranch in tehachapi.

12-03-2008, 9:27 PM

a friend of mine runs this ranch in tehachapi.

plus 1 for Cedar Canyon -

Very nice folks, and very nice ranch with good pigs.
I took a group of guys down there that hadn't hunted too much or at all, and everybody got a pig. And they are great eating pigs too :)

12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
no hunting license or pig tags? what's that all about?

12-04-2008, 12:30 AM
They raise their own pigs and set it free upon their property. Thus you are shooting their property on their property. Remember to check out the prices before you go. My friend went to Tejon Ranch and nail a 375 pound mama pig.

Hey, good luck with the hunt. God Speed for your friend.

12-04-2008, 5:20 AM
Turners sporting goods has a magazine called pig hunter. Its published by jim mathews. It covers just california, over 100 guides listed on the back page.
5 bucks i think.

12-04-2008, 4:22 PM
Thank you all for your help. I have already had two friends die on me this year, all under 40. Just a reminder to be kind to our Brothers and sisters and value the little time that we have on this rock.

Thank you all again.

12-04-2008, 7:34 PM
hunt cedar canyon ranch

big horn canyon ranch

Been to both, big horn may be a closer and easier drive, very elementary hunt, lots of hills, but they have vehicles to assist with. Reasonably priced.

12-05-2008, 9:14 AM
I hunted Tejon Ranch and have shot multiple pigs without a guide. I think the tags are $400 a piece. Really simple to hunt those pigs. However if your looking for a for sure kill then Tejon might not be the place to go. It is good hunting though with some nice pigs running around. Most of the pigs are under 200lbs but I have killed pigs just over 200lbs and have seen bigger ones too.

12-05-2008, 10:46 AM

12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
plus 1 for Cedar Canyon -

Very nice folks, and very nice ranch with good pigs.
I took a group of guys down there that hadn't hunted too much or at all, and everybody got a pig. And they are great eating pigs too :)

i have known Bill and Paul for many years. Paul lives at my house. glad you had a great time.

02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Well this is an update to my inquiry over a year ago. Thank you for all the help and advice.

As you know from my first post my friend was diagnosed with cancer. A year of battling the disease, he finally let go after a long hard fight. I have lived with the regret of not being able to fulfill his wish.

However, his wife wanted to live and fulfill that wish, to see what her husband/my friend wanted to do so passionately.

So, another friend of ours organized a trip for all our close friends to go hunting in TX. Like I've said in my first post, I've only hunted things no larger than a pheasent. So this bigger game hunting was very new to me.

So my task was to train my friends wife to hunt. And boy did I have a challenge!!! This girl is super sweet and wonderful. However, home to her is
somewhere along the lines of South Coast Plaza, or BHills... Seriously. AND she's never shot a gun. :eek:

I'm supposed to get her ready for a hunt where she has no clue what to expect. SO first off I start her on a 10/22, iron sights locally. Went over maybe an hour and half of safety and drills with out even entering the range.
Let me tell you she is GOOD at retaining safety protocol, even better than some of my buddies. Get her on the 15yard line, and she didn't even print paper:confused: Oh boy... But not to worry, we're 2 weeks out from our trip.

Fixed her posture, trigger pull and breathing down the next week, to where she was getting into printing paper at 25yds. Getting nervous as we're still on the 10/22, hoping to graduate to a .243. Well, things got busy with her and ended up in TX wo/ additional range time. First chance we got in TX, I insisted that she shoot the .243. She did and got a little spooked by the first shot, obviously coming from a .22LR. Lol... But after the first shot she adjusted, slowly but surely. Worked on her breathing and trigger pull again, while retaining all her safty protocol.

So we get to the ranch in Dimmitt county, settle in for the hunt the next morning. We got rained out the first couple of days and she saw nothing. She was ready to throw in the towel, but I told her not to quit. I'm surprised she even lasted a day out in the brush. It is so out of her element. Anyhow,
on the last day it was super foggy and her guide put her out at quite a distance. Meanwhile I'm a couple of miles away that morning. I hear that kapowwack.... from a distance, it was coming from her direction. My guide gets a text that she just dropped her first buck. I couldn't believe it. We made our way through the fog and I ranged where they were standing to the buck. 150yards through the fog, she managed to drop a 9 pointer. I think I was more happy that she got her first buck than both my buck and boar combined! Needless to say I was very proud of her. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/cinematicon/IMG_4759.jpg

Even though my friend never did get to fulfill his wish I'm glad that his wife
got to experience what Chris always wanted. I guess if there is any meaning to this story... GO on that hunting or fishing trip you've always put off, for those of you on the fence of wanting to try it. Life and time is too short to bewasting it. Now go shoot or catch something!!!...

02-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend, my condolences.

That is a great story, im glad you got to experience the hunt with her and fulfill the dream.

02-11-2010, 6:26 AM
Thanks for the story. That's a nice buck and it's awesome to hear how hunting can affect people in such ways.

02-11-2010, 7:55 AM
You're a great friend.

02-11-2010, 8:08 AM
Thanks for introducing someone new to this great sport. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.