PDA

View Full Version : Improving my pistol shooting

pullnshoot25
12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
What is a good book/set of exercises/etc that I can do to improve my pistol shooting? I have a Ruger MKII and a Ruger Single Six, both of which I want to get good with so I can improve my shooting for the bigger pistols, as well as be proficient for when I do small game handgun hunting.

My end goal is to have the same group sizes with a .22 pistol at 25yds as I have with my .22 rifle at 50yds, at 50yds (pistol) the same size at 75yds (rifle), etc.

MKII is a fixed sight with a really tall front sight and the Single Six is adjustable, if that helps any.

Thanks guys!

ocabj
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
If you're shooting Bullseye format, then Brian Zins is the person to glean info from.
http://www.brianzins.com/

As far as two-handed shooting, like IDPA/IPSC/USPSA/etc, check out the Brian Enos site (forums).
http://www.brianenos.com/

Vacaville
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I like the Pro Tips on Shooting USA. Check out their web site:

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/pro_tips.html

rayra
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Sight Alignment
Sight Picture
Proper sight adjustment
Trigger control
Use tip of finger, not first joint on trigger.
Breathing control
Proper grip on the weapon.
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

Learn the basics and they'll apply to everything that you shoot. And don't spend too much time or money chasing 'style guides' by last year's champions. There is no one single right technique. Plenty of bad ones though. Plenty of ritualistic crapola out there too.

pullnshoot25
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Sight Alignment
Sight Picture
Proper sight adjustment
Trigger control
Use tip of finger, not first joint on trigger.
Breathing control
Proper grip on the weapon.
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

Learn the basics and they'll apply to everything that you shoot. And don't spend too much time or money chasing 'style guides' by last year's champions. There is no one single right technique. Plenty of bad ones though. Plenty of ritualistic crapola out there too.

This is true. I think what I really need to do is get the front sight as crisp as possible, for some reason my sighting picture on a handgun makes a fairly fuzzy front sight.

Crikey!

JDay
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM
This is true. I think what I really need to do is get the front sight as crisp as possible, for some reason my sighting picture on a handgun makes a fairly fuzzy front sight.

Crikey!

Sounds like you're focusing too much on the rear sight.

aplinker
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Sounds like you're focusing too much on the rear sight.

More often people focus on the target.

eaglemike
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Crikey!
As others have noted...

Focus on the FRONT SIGHT. Let all the other stuff blur as much as your vision require. You might be surprised how much the focus on the front sight and follow through improves your shooting.

There is a "fun pistol" match at the Lemon Grove Rod and Gun Club 1st Sat of the month. This is primarily centerfire, and generally run along ICORE rules, using steel and NRA D-1 targets. We still have close to 50% semi-auto's. There is also an all steel rimfire match (again, emphasis on safety and fun) on the 3rd Sat of the Month. If you want to attend, let me know. Prices are very reasonable. This activity will improve your shooting as well.

all the best,
Mike

Greg-Dawg
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Have you joined any matches?

Snapping Twig
12-01-2008, 1:07 PM
It's all about the front sight. Focus on it and let the target and the rear sight blur. Align the front and rear sight, but keep the front in focus.

Use the tip of the pad of your trigger finger. Using the crook or next to the joint of your finger pulls the gun out of alignment.

So, in conclusion...

Front sight, pad of the finger tip.

trinydex
12-01-2008, 1:15 PM
what do you guys do for front sight picture when you're in the shade but the target is in the sun, very bright sun? in these situations i feel the front sight is very dark and it's hard to get the crisp resoution because the bright target and the close rear sights are so distracting.

loosewreck
12-01-2008, 1:59 PM
What is a good book/set of exercises/etc that I can do to improve my pistol shooting?

Bruce Gray's Dry Fire Packet
http://graygunstraining.com/8.html

Also a bunch of stuff on Down Range TV (http://www.downrange.tv/player.htm)

trinydex
12-01-2008, 3:07 PM
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/JARRETT4/jarrett4.html

why does todd jarrett here recommend not using the trigger reset?

rayra
12-01-2008, 3:56 PM
what do you guys do for front sight picture when you're in the shade but the target is in the sun, very bright sun? in these situations i feel the front sight is very dark and it's hard to get the crisp resoution because the bright target and the close rear sights are so distracting.

I'd say you might be thinking about it wrong because what you describe is pretty much an optimum amount of contrast, to my mind. In fact there's even a long-standing / traditional product called 'sight black' or 'carbon black' and it's used to produce an utterly black front sight so as to provide no glare and greatest contrast with the target. Prior to the advent of aerosol products, folks used soot from a burning lighter or candle just to produce the situation you seem to describe as a problem.

trinydex
12-01-2008, 4:36 PM
I'd say you might be thinking about it wrong because what you describe is pretty much an optimum amount of contrast, to my mind. In fact there's even a long-standing / traditional product called 'sight black' or 'carbon black' and it's used to produce an utterly black front sight so as to provide no glare and greatest contrast with the target. Prior to the advent of aerosol products, folks used soot from a burning lighter or candle just to produce the situation you seem to describe as a problem.

hmmm so it's only the contrast that's important?

i feel it's easier on my eyes (less strain) when i shoot indoors and i can just actually focus on the front post, like i can see it and the little serrations on it very clearly.

at outdoor ranges i can't do this without kind of straining and even then i can't see the serrations, but if it's just the sillouette you're looking for then i guess i should focus on that.