View Full Version : First Pheasant hunt, Photos and a near tragedy.

11-30-2008, 4:18 PM
So my friend and I went Pheasant hunting at the Antelope Valley Sportsmans Club. I brought along my brother in law and his German Shepherd. It took us a couple of hours to find the first ring neck rooster, the damn dog was not helping one bit (not his fault, he is not trained) so my buddy took him down with 1 shot. So we continued to walk the fields and I hear my brother in law yelling Lucky NO!!!! (dogs name) I run over and see a rattler ready to attack the dog and the dog not backing up, so I took a shot at the snake and he flew up 10 feet into the air and landed back down, I figured he would be dead at this point, but he wasnt! he started to come towards the dog again, so I took another shot at him. He was still moving so I didnt want to risk it so I told my buddy to cut his head off with his knife. I would have kept the rattler on his tale, but shot #1 took half of it off. The rest of the hunt went pretty good, we bagged one more rooster and one hen for a total of 3.

Hunting Pheasant was not as easy as I thought it would be, but boy was it fun and addicting, not to mention yummy :D

12-12-2008, 9:52 PM
the damn dog was not helping one bit (not his fault, he is not trained) so my buddy took him down with 1 shot.

This had me really confused. Glad the dog made it.

12-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Should have ate the snake too. Rattle snake is good stuff

12-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Glad the dog didn't get it.
There is a snake avoidance class, might look into it.
Hunting with an untrained dog might be worse than without it.

Hunting wild birds gets even tougher.

mmm BBQ'd rattler

12-13-2008, 6:39 AM
Pheasant is good for dinner. For breakfast, there's nothing like snake and eggs! Congrats on your hunt! I wish I had the time to join you!

Chukar hunter
12-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Glad your hunting buddy (dog) didn't get bit. I believe that the Santa Clarita chapter of Quail Unlimited holds good rattlesnake avoidance classes for hunting dogs. I think they might have a website, I've seen some of their equipment parked at Oaktree gun club.

12-13-2008, 10:35 AM
This had me really confused. Glad the dog made it.

Yah, the first time I read it I thought you killed to dog for being annoying LOL

12-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I ate rattler once, tasted like a mix between calamari and chicken. I may have cooked it wrong though. Will have to try a new recipe next time. BTW I love calamari.

12-13-2008, 2:20 PM
I had hunted the Antelope Valley club a few years ago for Chukkar.....they released some birds for us in our hunting area. We were inexperienced and tried for the first 2 hours by ourselves. Kept an eye on several of the released birds and where they flew into the brush. We never found any for the first couple of hours....went back to the office to 'rent' one of their dogs....that made all the difference. What a pleasure to have a trained dog sniff out the birds and hold a steady point as we came up to the dog. We would pull the dog back and one of us would move forward at first...no bird..but when we released the dog, and she would come up to the brush, she would flush the bird out and into flight. My first bird flushed out 2 feet from where I was standing! Scared the poop out of me. I was able to swing up and get it on the second shot, then the dog would retrieve for us.

Lesson learned...use a trained dog and it will make all the difference.

Glad your German Shepherd was not bit by that Rattler....

How was the Pheasant?..tasty?

12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Rattlesnakes are tough suckers, I shot one of them 10 times with a .22LR pistol and the thing just kept moving. Even after I shot out his backbone it still squirmed.