View Full Version : Wacko environuts target fishermen

11-28-2008, 11:34 AM
To All,
Matt Weiser writes in today's Sacramento Bee about an interim agreement between the Department of Fish and Game and Plaintiff's Center for Biological Diversity and Pacific Rivers Council that would apparently ban much of trout, bass, and catfish stocking statewide.

Plaintiff's CBD and Pacific Rivers Council sued the DFG in 2006 over their running of a 100 year old fish-stocking plan that put rainbow trout and other "non-native" species in a number of lakes and streams across the landscape. Since the DFG cannot finish the EIR until May of 2009, approximately 2-4 weeks after the start of the Eastern Sierra Trout Opener, Plaintiffs CBD and PRC moved for an interim agreement that calls for a halt to fish stocking in smaller bodies of water until DFG can prove that endangered species are not harmed by the practice. The judge agreed, and those "sharp negotiators" over at DFG basically got what they thought they could (which is largely bupkus for most everyone outside of the Sacramento Delta area).

Without stocking to take the pressure off of "native populations", soon there will be no fishing in too many waters that are destined to be listed as off limits to the current program. And if rainbows are permanently listed as a non-native species, then their existence in public waters will end up going much the way they have in waters currently under the control of the "Preservationist" bozos at US Fish & Wildlife and a host of various state agencies. The implications that this kind of decision has on other non-native fish and game species (stripers, pheasant, chukar, Hungarian partridge, certain kinds of turkeys imported to areas outside of their original native habitat) cannot, in my personal observation, be ever understated.

Trout fishermen, who do not have a unifying group like NRA to help them battle the local Enviro-Nazis, have apparently been hosed in the current deal. Small towns like Mammoth Lakes, Bridgeport, Bishop, and the various localities around Lake Tahoe may not have much of a fishing season this coming year, one that's already expecting a significant down turn economically. If we had not joined together and battled CBD and the NRDC in the summer of 2007 over the condor, the probability of a statewide bullet ban being imposed last December in lieu of the much more limited current ban would have been more likely.

Beneficiaries in this latest "deal" include the environmental movement, whose continued accrual of power over land use is well on the way to killing traditional outdoor activities practiced in North America since the last Ice Age. In the shorter term, the "catch-and-release" crowd may enjoy the "experience" of empty streams and solitude promised by the fly-fishing guides and outfitters, but only as long as the communities they live in (Mammoth, for example) can survive not having a thriving sport fishing season to carry them through the summer slow periods. And if it's decided that fishing stocks are not to the level that even the normal mortality rates associated with catch and release be justified, then a halt to even catch and release can be expected.

As for the next generation of fisherman, the kids, well, too bad. After all, how many 5 year olds can fly fish? (Or even afford a $450 Sage rod, or even a $ 150 Scientific Angler's "starter kit"?).

In the past 4 and a half years of following the condor/lead bullet "debate", it was due to my personal belief that if we did not fight, then something like what has just happened to the trout fishermen would happen to hunting in California (Note- I have personally fished the Eastern Sierras in Mono County for 46 years as well- this is now very personal.). Several other diligent folks agreed, and they said "Go For It". Midnight study sessions, long distance phone calls with PHd's, nagging the holy crap out of too many folks whom I respect about this one issue over others, the travel to far off DFG Commission meetings, and the impact on my family life that this "odd" obsession (as my missus calls it) has had have all been the price paid willingly in this one theater of battle over what in so many ways is what I feel to be the paramount gun issue of our time.

But if we are all going fight the next round of Greenie attempts to kill hunting and shooting in California in the coming year, and help firewall these Loony Left nostrums from the rest of the country, then I ask for your help. Please help get as many new NRA members, especially in the so-far-as-now-sedentary hunting, fishing, and shooting clubs, to sign up now. Please spread the word that the Greenies are not our friends, no matter the platitudes about preserving the wild to have a place to hunt or fish, since it's clear that their divide and conquer plans have no room for these traditional outdoor activities. Make sure that the numerous stories of Environmentalist perfidy are told as they happen. And get ready for war, politically speaking, in 2010. As tired as we all are from 2008, Campaign 2010 has already started. I hear the guns in the distance, as well I am sure the rest of you hear as well. But we have to wake up the rest of the sleepers out there, and let them know that indifference is not an option. Stay tuned.

Link at:

Anthony Canales

11-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Here is info as to which waters will and will not be stocked.

11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Here is info as to which waters will and will not be stocked.

Thanks for the Link
Unfortunately one of my best places to take the little ones fishing is on the no stock list.

11-29-2008, 7:59 PM
Thanks for the Link
Unfortunately one of my best places to take the little ones fishing is on the no stock list.

Most of the places I go are on that list, and some are man made wtf!

M. Sage
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Most of the places I go are on that list, and some are man made wtf!

Well, you can only introduce native species into those lakes. What, you want to put fish in waters where there aren't naturally waters that aren't even native? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. Stocking non-native species can actually be a good thing. In Michigan they did it to knock down on invasive pest species that had gotten into the Lakes via the St. Lawrence.

I'm sure after all these years of stocking, the ecosystem has found a balance with those horrible non-native fish, and now that they're going to be removed, the balance is going to do something interesting...

We'll have to wait and see what happens now that the balance is being upset... again.