PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to own a G3 clone and a full auto trigger group?

N_S
11-24-2008, 6:27 PM
This pertains more to federal laws since you can't get a PTR in California anyway.

If someone purchased a gun like the PTR-91 in semi-auto-only configuration and then purchased one of these trigger groups which has a full auto setting on it:
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3seflower.html

Is that a felony?
Even if the person in question never installs it?

Max-the-Silent
11-24-2008, 6:33 PM
This pertains more to federal laws since you can't get a PTR in California anyway.

If someone purchased a gun like the PTR-91 in semi-auto-only configuration and then purchased one of these trigger groups which has a full auto setting on it:

Is that a felony?

No.

As is, it can't be installed on a semi-auto receiver.

Why would you want it would be the next question.

If you are looking to get a full auto look housing for your piece, buy the stripped housing modified to fit, and install your semi-auto trigger pack.

ke6guj
11-24-2008, 6:35 PM

Why can't you get a PTR in CA? THey are off-list and can be set up either featureless or with a fixed-mag.

rorschach
11-24-2008, 6:37 PM

Is that a felony?

Who says you cant get a PTR in Calif?? I have a PTR, a Vector, HK911 and SR9, all with locked 10 round mags. http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37200

Those triggerpacks will not fit on anything but a full auto receiver anyway, since civilian versions have the "semi-auto shelf" which prevents the fullauto pack from being installed.

N_S
11-24-2008, 6:39 PM
I just found it odd that the site I linked to was selling them, obviously some people would be interested in getting them. I'm guessing they sell on the premise that you'd want one in case of the ultimate SHTF scenario where you're given an opportunity to mod your G-3 into a fully-automatic.

Also does this mean that since the state can't jump to conclusions about the parts I own, can I buy an AW and have it shipped to California in pieces legally? (so long as of course I don't put all the parts together or try to sneak in a high-cap magazine)

rorschach
11-24-2008, 6:41 PM
I just found it odd that the site I linked to was selling them, obviously some people would be interested in getting them. I'm guessing they sell on the premise that you'd want one in case of the ultimate SHTF scenario where you're given an opportunity to mod your G-3 into a fully-automatic.

Theyre for spare parts (except the sear), or to modify into a semi-pack.

gtmmark
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I've handled and fired a post-sample converted Springfield SAR-3 that was converted with a FA bolt carrier and slightly modded G3 grip frame and trigger pack the "semi-auto shelf" being key in this. After seeing this In my opinion it would be unwise to poses any FA G3 components along with a semi rifle.

Omega13device
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Also does this mean that since the state can't jump to conclusions about the parts I own, can I buy an AW and have it shipped to California in pieces legally? (so long as of course I don't put all the parts together or try to sneak in a high-cap magazine)
Depends on what you mean by AW.

If you mean a listed receiver, NO, you may not buy one.

If you mean an OLL and all the parts that could theoretically be assembled into an AW based on features, it is legal to buy the parts but illegal to assemble them into a configuration that would constitute an assault weapon. Just make sure you do your homework here on calguns on how to assemble a legal rifle.

ptoguy2002
11-25-2008, 8:27 AM
The potential problem here is that if you have a PTR and a full auto lower assembly you could be in constructive possession territory. Theoretically (and I am no legal expert or attorney) it would be ok because you can take that lower and modify it for use on a semi gun, which is commonly done, so there is a legal configuration possible, but you still have fa parts, which is a problem. I wouldn't do it though, because constructive possession would be real easy to make, especially since you already have a lower, so the question would be: "Why do you have this other one?". Not an easy question to answer. There is no problem with having a three position grip frame only, as these are commonly modified (clip'd and pinned) for use on a semi gun to make it look like an mg. If you wanted one of these frames with internals from RTG, ask him to remove the trip lever and auto sear before shipping it to you. This will remove the two parts which are not used in the semi conversion and only used in the full auto, which should eliminate constructive possession.
IMHO, YMMV, I am not an attorney.

These lower are commonly used to convert to legal semi auto, but be mindful of 922r requirements, as some of the parts in that assembly are commonly replaced with US made parts for compliance on the PTR rifles.

If your intention is just spare parts, you would be better served and save money by just buying individual parts from RTG. For a PTR I'd recommend an ejector, ejector pin with split ring, ejector spring, hammer spring, trigger spring, roller retainer plate, rollers, extractor and extractor spring. Maybe a firing pin and spring, and locking piece, and +2 rollers too if you want to cover all basis..

As for the SHTF comment, the likelihood of that happening is nill to getting popped for constructive possession. Also, full auto on a G3 is useless anyway.