PDA

View Full Version : My last small water report for 08 (Updated with more pics)

Thrillbilly
11-22-2008, 7:09 PM
Well this is my last small water report for 08 as the season shuts down at the end of next week and opens back up in May. I was looking forward to this trip all week. I was going back to the same river that has produced very well during this past year.

Matt and Paul met me at my house at 0545; we loaded up all the gear and headed out. I must admit I was kind of excited as we left because of how the fishing was up there two weeks ago. It is funny how much a river can change in only two short weeks. As we came closer to our destination it started to snow, the forecast only called for a 30% chance but oh well a little snow is fine. We got to the spot and began to gear up.

The three of us hiked the short distance to the river and began to hike upriver fishing as we went. It was a lot slower this time nothing was even looking at my stimulator. I tied on a Royal Wulf and fished some more with no success. I then switched to an EHC and got my first fish, I was relieved that I finally found the fly that was going to work, or so I thought. I fished a few more holes with the EHC managing to only land 5 redbands; the largest was only 12 inches.

I sat on the side of the bank for a quick smoke, Paul and Matt came up to where I was fishing. We discussed how slow it was. We thought the fish might have moved down river so we hiked back to the truck. We decided to go check out the river 8 miles below where we were fishing. This river drops a lot of elevation in its run. The snow and pine trees gave way to rain and deciduous trees in the next location we fished. It almost seemed like a different river and it sure looked like it. Paul and Matt found spots and started to fish, I went further downstream.

I had absolutely no luck with any dry fly at all so I decided to hike upstream to see how they were doing. When I got back to the spot they were fishing I saw that they had switched to nymphs. They told me that they had caught quite a few and that they were larger. I decided to attempt to nymph with the 000WT on another hole. I did not have any success with the nymphs that I had with me (BH Pheasant tail and Black Zebra midges) I did not take many with me as I have always dry fly fished this river. A short time later Matt and Paul made it up to where I was fishing. Paul had managed to catch a redband that was over 15” and he showed me the pic of it that he had taken.

We then decided to head back up river to where we started to chuck some nymphs in a deep hole. I also wanted to check out another run that I had not fished yet. When we got there Paul and Matt headed to the deep hole to nymph while I headed to the spot I wanted to check out. I threw the BH Pheasant Tail with no luck. I decided to switch back to dries and tied on another stimulator. The stimulator got sucked down in the current and I saw a fish take it. I set the hook felt two head shakes and the fish came off, crap I thought. I went up to where Paul and Matt were fishing. They said that they had got 14 redbands out of that hole while nymphing.

All in all it was a fun day despite the fact that the place shut down for dries. I did learn some good thing about this system from this trip. I also learned that this time a year I should also bring a rod more suited for nymphing and to never leave most all of my nymphs at home. I snapped a few photos of the day I will post more pics once I get them from the other guys, enjoy.

Thrillbilly
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Thrillbilly
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Thrillbilly
11-24-2008, 2:36 PM

Darklyte27
11-24-2008, 7:27 PM
Nice pictures sir!
I still have yet to fly fish.
That place looks awesome for gold panning!