PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Colt Officers Model Special 38spl SFBay

D.R.E.
11-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Looking for a Colt Officers Model Special. It's 50+ years old so falls under C&R so I suppose shipping works, but would prefer sf/bay area.

Thanks!

wellfedirishman
11-22-2008, 8:17 AM
PM'd

popgun
11-23-2008, 8:04 AM
D.R.E.:

Are you looking for the rare Colt OMS(1949-1952)to shoot or as a collectible? Following, are some pictures of my NIB, 1950 vintage, Officer's Model Special:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/P1000225.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/P1000185.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/P1000224.jpg

D.R.E.
11-24-2008, 1:34 AM
Hi Popgun!

I was just looking for an OMS shooter. Beautiful piece you have there. I'd be ashamed to ruin it with shooting. But, fortunately I'm sure I can't afford it ;-)

Let me know if you run across a less pristine example?

D.R.E.:

Are you looking for the rare Colt OMS(1949-1952)to shoot or as a collectible? Following, are some pictures of my NIB, 1950 vintage, Officer's Model Special:

popgun
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi D.R.E.!

1)Although these OMS's don't come up very often, due to their rarity, I have seen them on Gunbroker. And, since these revolvers are over fifty years old, that makes them C&R eligible for California!
2)If I run across an OMS in good shootable condition, I'll contact you!

D.R.E.
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, C&R is great. Just got a 1957 python b/c of that last week. Or, at least I will when the gunshop figures out the CA letter thing...

Thanks for the tip on GB: OMS has been in my "saved searches" for the past couple of weeks.

I picked up a 50+ year Colt Officers Match 38spl --- do you know how this compares to the OMS?

Also, I've seen a couple nice looking Colt "357 magnums" (pre pythons): do you know how these compare to early pythons in terms of how good their actions are?

I admire your fortitude at not firing yours off for a few rounds :D

Hi D.R.E.!

1)Although these OMS's don't come up very often, due to their rarity, I have seen them on Gunbroker. And, since these revolvers are over fifty years old, that makes them C&R eligible for California!
2)If I run across an OMS in good shootable condition, I'll contact you!

popgun
11-25-2008, 8:12 AM
1)Yes, an 1957 vintage Python would be an nice addition to any Colt collection. What is the barrel length and condition of that Python?
2)You are welcome for the tip on GB.
3)The Colt OMM and the OMS are basically the same highly tuned target revolvers, in terms of having the same frame and precisely fitted action as the Colt Python. Differences are in the type of sights and barrels, wheras the OMS had a bull barrel and the OMM had tapered barrels. Of course, the OMS is rarer than the OMM, since these guns were only made for approximately three years(1949-52)and the early OMM was made from (1953-69)but, were the last of the early, long line of Officer's Model target revolvers.
4)The Colt 357 was known as the pre-Python, since theese were introduced in 1953 which was two years before the Python's were produced. Therefore, the action was fitted just as precisely as the early Python's! In fact, I have compared the actions of the early Python's with the Colt 357's and found the 357's to be equal to or better than these early Python's. The only variations were due to either individual gun tolerances in fitting their actions or their break in period. Yes, my fortitude has been strong, because I know that collectible guns are most valuable whenever they are kept in mint or in NIB condition-therefore, I could never bring myself to fire any of these guns!
5)Following, are some photos of my "Prized" NIB engraved, Colt Model 357!:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/3244fde1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/3eaf9c5c.jpg

D.R.E.
11-25-2008, 3:47 PM
1)Yes, an 1957 vintage Python would be an nice addition to any Colt collection. What is the barrel length and condition of that Python?

Purportedly it's 95%+ condition, but I haven't gotten to inspect it yet. 6" barrel. Not sure if the grips are original (the photos were blurry, but price was low). I was looking for something to shoot and since it's C&R it's much cheaper than the later models in CA (which seem to have a $200-300 jump over GB).

3)The Colt OMM and the OMS are basically the same highly tuned target revolvers, in terms of having the same frame and precisely fitted action as the Colt Python. Differences are in the type of sights and barrels, wheras the OMS had a bull barrel and the OMM had tapered barrels. Of course, the OMS is rarer than the OMM, since these guns were only made for approximately three years(1949-52)and the early OMM was made from (1953-69)but, were the last of the early, long line of Officer's Model target revolvers.

Is there any difference in terms of accuracy? Grant Cunningham was raving about the OMS but didn't seem that excited by the OMM (I hope there's no difference since I have an OMM coming next week).

4)The Colt 357 was known as the pre-Python, since theese were introduced in 1953 which was two years before the Python's were produced. Therefore, the action was fitted just as precisely as the early Python's! In fact, I have compared the actions of the early Python's with the Colt 357's and found the 357's to be equal to or better than these early Python's.

Awesome. Though, bad for my finances. What would you think a fair price for a 95%+ m357 is? Parkers has one for $575 which seems reasonable:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116982764

But it's been up for months so I'm not sure if there's something wrong that I'm missing.

5)Following, are some photos of my "Prized" NIB engraved, Colt Model 357!:

Quite a safe you have there. :)

popgun
11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
D.R.E.:

1)For sure, the grips are not original to that 6" Colt 357!
2)Both an OMS and an OMM are extremely accurate Colt target revolvers. They had different styles of sights and Grant Cunningham might have just preferred the sights on an OMS. Also, the bull barrel on the OMS could have felt better to him-thus letting him shoot this gun better, who knows?
3)Well, if that Colt 357 is in good condition-then, $575 would be a fairly good price? However, I don't know if it's just glare or, if there is a rub mark in the bluing around the Colt horse at the top of the left side of the grips?
4)Thanks for the compliment on my Colt 357 safe queen! It's the only engraved Colt 357 I've ever heard of!

D.R.E.
12-04-2008, 2:58 AM
Still looking for a shootable OMS.

D.R.E.
02-09-2009, 3:39 PM
BTT

thephatboi
10-06-2010, 9:02 AM
I have a like new 1951 Colt Officers Model Special that has been fired 22 times, I have the original box of ammo my old Godfather bought with the gun, box of 50 has 22 empties and the rest unfired, he bought the gun, shot it a few times and put it in his bedside table where it has been for for 59 years! I inherited it and was wondering what it is worth and guessing I probably shouldn't shoot it for collectibillity though I am sure it functions and works perfectly. Any info appreciated. I love the gun but might like a newer 357 that I could shoot alot so considering selling this to buy a newer shooter.... perhaps I'll put up a couple pics...

D.R.E.
10-06-2010, 9:44 AM
Sounds like a nice piece --- how much were you looking for?

Wyatt Burp
10-07-2010, 6:00 PM
I have this one from 1905. A first model in .38 Special. It has to be one of the earliest Colt's in that caliber. I can give better description if interested. And I'm in Sacramento which is driving distance. $435.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt99/Wyattburp_photos/004-8.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt99/Wyattburp_photos/002-12.jpg

GM4spd
10-10-2010, 7:30 AM
All Colt Officers Model Match/Special are C&R regardless of age--they were made
up until 1970. PM me for one that is the LATE Model with the Hvy Bbl(38)
made in the 60s--Excellent condition for $700.(Not mine). Pete

jmaskell1
10-16-2010, 6:53 AM
POPGUN YOU LOOKING TO SELL THAT COLT OFFICERS MODEL SPECIAL???