PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 feeding question.

jkgts1
11-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Okay ladies and gentlemen, this is my first AR build and I am still learning. I have most of my AR put together, minus barrel. Nothing special, CMMG lower and DPMS upper, Well I just wanted to see how the gun would cycle, put a couple of rounds in the mag and plugged it in. I then slowly pulled back the charge handle and slowly guided it forward, but the edge of the case mouth on the round catches the upper receiver. Its an A3 upper no feed ramps. I tried a search but seems most with A3 with no ramps are not having issues. Given that I am not letting the charge handle go, if I did it probably would chamber, but is normal to catch like this? I was thinking of shaving down the edge of the upper that it is getting caught on. I just wanted to check with you guys before I did anything.

Thanks

Stockton
11-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Cycle it as normal. Shoot it. Check your brass after each round fired. Look for obvious gouging, jams, etc etc. Bring back your findings after.

Josh3239
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
If your riding the charging handle and slowly guiding it forward that sounds like it might happen. You need to pull back, release, and let her slide home if you really want to test it.

jkgts1
11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
If your riding the charging handle and slowly guiding it forward that sounds like it might happen. You need to pull back, release, and let her slide home if you really want to test it.

That is what I was thinking thanks.

I can't wait to shoot it but I am waiting for my barrel to come in.

Thanks

aplinker
11-22-2008, 12:40 AM
It won't be able to hit that spot once the barrel is in place.

10RoundLimit
11-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Are you trying to cycle it with out a barrel installed? If you are that is your problem, the barrel has feed ramps that angle the tip upwards. I bet if you dont ride the charging handle and let fly home it will shoot the cartridge out the front of the receiver.

randy
11-22-2008, 1:15 AM
Put the almost rifle down, put your hands up and walk away.

jkgts1
11-22-2008, 5:14 AM
Put the almost rifle down, put your hands up and walk away.

I just can't, it's like a sickness!