View Full Version : Good resource for crime stastics?

11-21-2008, 1:29 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a site that has really comprehensive statistics regarding crime in the United States. Specifically what kind of weapons are used in crime.

11-21-2008, 1:35 PM
Fedgov - FBI, Uniform Crime Reports

It's got problems, but it's the best we have.

11-21-2008, 1:55 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for even more detailed stuff than that. Like, specific makes/models of weapons used in crimes, etc.

11-21-2008, 2:02 PM
This one is interesting:

Tells me some things I didn't know.

For example, in 2007, almost twice as may people were reported to be killed by "personal weapons" (hands, fists, feet, etc.) (854) than by rifles (450). So does that mean that "personal weapons" are twice as deadly as rifles (Chuck Norris notwithstanding)?

And there were 455 homicides by shotguns, as opposed to 450 by rifles. Yet Mr. President-Elect and Mr. Beretta-toting Vice President Elect promise that they will not touch your shotguns. Why not?

And how about this one:

This one shows circumstances by weapon. And in 2007 there appear to have been a whopping 2 homicides by rifle classified as gangland killings," and an equally underwhelming 16 homicides by rifle classified as "juvenile gang killings." Guess the repeal of the federal AWB in 2004 really opened up those floodgates, didn't they?

11-21-2008, 2:57 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for even more detailed stuff than that. Like, specific makes/models of weapons used in crimes, etc.

That would require that the information was collected someplace.

There are a couple of studies that do a little of that - look for Project Exile.

And there's some OLD (1995) data in the NCJ pub "Guns Used in Crime (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/guic.pdf)"
How do we know about the guns used by criminals?

No national collection of data contains detailed information about all of the guns used in crimes. Snapshots of information about the guns used by criminals are available from

official police records concerning the guns recovered in crimes and reports gathered from victims
surveys that interview criminals
surveys that interview victims of crime.

From these sources, we know how often guns are involved in crime, how guns are used in crime, what general categories of firearms are most often used in crime, and, to a limited extent, the specific types of guns most frequently used by criminals.

Also see Bureau of Justice Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm).