PDA

View Full Version : Gun-hating green-koolaid-drinker nominated for Sect of the Interior

rayra
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
NRA rating is F.
Kiss shooting on Forest lands goodbye.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15860.html

Rep. Raul M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) may be emerging as a top contender to be Barack Obama’s secretary of the interior, according to sources close to the transition.

The Interior Department – which oversees federal lands, national parks and endangered species – has traditionally been headed by a Westerner.

Grijalva recently lambasted the administration for poor treatment of national parks and opposed President George W. Bush’s recent decision to allow coal mining in Arizona. The congressman also has introduced several pieces of legislation to restore and protect federal lands. And he’s supported global warming legislation and funding for renewable energy.

The Interior Department is expected to play a leading role in greenhouse gas regulation next year, an issue that some environmental groups say he could be instrumental in advancing.

An Obama supporter, Grijalva recently worked with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and other Democrats to turn out the Hispanic vote in key Western states.

Grijalva is chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands – and was just tapped as the new co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

His spokeswoman had no comment on the possible Cabinet post.

bulgron
11-21-2008, 11:20 AM
NRA rating is F.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15860.html

I keep wondering how it is permissible to limit gun usage (especially the bearing of arms) in National Parks and monuments when you are far away from visitor centers, etc. I guess we're going to get to find out. Actually, I've often wondered if suing the NPS over their gun bans in the parks and monuments might not be a good first step in establishing our right to bear arms under the 2A. After all, if I can't carry a gun in a wilderness area that's far away from 911, then where can I carry it?

Shooting in our wild lands is another thing we're going to get to find out about. No doubt they'll attack shooting on the basis of the emerging junk science around lead poisoning. This is going to be like going to court to prove that global warming isn't being caused by human beings. I wouldn't want to have to sit on that jury.

Lots and lots of court battles in the offing, methinks. If we win them all, the Obama presidency could prove to be the best thing that ever happened to the gun rights movement. :D

xLusi0n
11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Funny I saw this post as I was just reading a list of midnight regulations Bush is/has pushed through:

http://www.propublica.org/special/midnight-regulations/

See the one a titled: Loaded Guns Possible in National Parks

sorensen440
11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
were screwed on so many levels for the next 4 to 8 years

JDoe
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info xLusi0n

I hadn't heard much about this but here's an article called Bush's land mines for Obama with a one sentence reference On election day, the administration put forward a rule to end the 25-year-old ban on carrying loaded weapons in national parks. (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/la-oe-brooks20-2008nov20,1,615228.column)

Will Bush’s midnight rules be reversible? (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15758.html)

While executive orders and rules that are not yet in effect can swiftly be reversed or altered by Obama’s appointees or his own executive orders, rules that go into effect before he takes office will be extremely difficult to undo. Rescinding a rule would require the new administration to re-start the rule-making process, which can take years and prompt legal challenges.

bigstick61
11-22-2008, 2:57 AM
The Executive Order seems to make the rules analogous to those on similar State lands. In our case, it would be State Parks, I believe, and firearms are prohibited in most of them, so they would likely be prohibited in most National Parks within California, if I understand the executive order correctly.

fairfaxjim
11-22-2008, 7:36 AM
The Executive Order seems to make the rules analogous to those on similar State lands. In our case, it would be State Parks, I believe, and firearms are prohibited in most of them, so they would likely be prohibited in most National Parks within California, if I understand the executive order correctly.

That is correct, the proposed rule is:
§ 2.4 Weapons, traps and nets.
(h) A person may possess, carry, and
transport concealed, loaded, and
operable firearms within a national park
area in the same manner, and to the
same extent, that a person may lawfully
possess, carry, and transport concealed,
loaded and operable firearms in any
state park, or any similar unit of state
land, in the state in which the federal
park, or that portion thereof, is located,
provided that such possession, carrying
and transporting otherwise complies
with applicable federal and state law

It will not give us in CA permission to posess firearms in National Parks. I believe at least at this time, if the weapon is disassembled or otherwise rendered unworkable it is allow to be taken into the national park. We may lose that with the new one, because there is NO provision for firearms posession in CA State Parks.

If you have a CCW from another state, it should allow CCW in National Parks in any of the states that honor your non-resident CCW

CalCop
11-22-2008, 7:52 AM
Funny I saw this post as I was just reading a list of midnight regulations Bush is/has pushed through:

http://www.propublica.org/special/midnight-regulations/

See the one a titled: Loaded Guns Possible in National Parks

Loaded Guns Possible in National Parks
OMB Review April 30, 2008 Government & Politics

Agency: Department of the Interior

Formal Name: Firearms on National Park Service Lands

At Issue: The proposed rule would allow loaded guns and concealed weapons into some national parks. Currently guns are allowed only if they are safely stored and unloaded.

RIN: 1024-AD70

Hunter158
11-22-2008, 8:02 AM
NRA rating is F.

The Department of Interior oversees the National Park Service (NPS) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) oversees the Forest Service (FS).

One convoluted aspect, The Interior Appropriations Subcommittee handles the budgets for NPS, BLM, FS and a number of other land-based agencies.

FYI: The grand total of these allocations is less than one percent of the overall federal budget.

Liberty1
11-25-2008, 8:06 PM
I hope the NPS ban stays. What a great case (a total prohibition on having an operable loaded firearm on ones person far far away from any help) to help establish "BEAR"! :)

bulgron
11-25-2008, 8:13 PM
Loaded Guns Possible in National Parks
OMB Review April 30, 2008 Government & Politics

Agency: Department of the Interior

Formal Name: Firearms on National Park Service Lands

At Issue: The proposed rule would allow loaded guns and concealed weapons into some national parks. Currently guns are allowed only if they are safely stored and unloaded.

RIN: 1024-AD70

As far as I can tell, it hasn't gone anywhere since April. Why would we think it's going to go somewhere in the last remaining weeks of Bush's administration.

Certainly Obama's administration won't push this forward. We're going to get relief for carry in the parks and monuments via the courts.