PDA

View Full Version : Racist Palo Alto Police Chief Announces Retirement

gcvt
11-21-2008, 4:43 AM
http://www.kron.com/global/story.asp?s=9389901

PALO ALTO (BCN) -- Palo Alto Police Chief Lynne Johnson announced her retirement today, three weeks after making statements at a public meeting that some in the community condemned as encouraging racial profiling.

Johnson did not mention the episode in a prepared statement released today by the city.

"After considerable thought, I have decided to retire from the Police Department after nearly 34 years of service," Johnson said.

The statement went on to enumerate various accomplishments during her tenure, including the hiring of 32 officers, the promotion of command staff and other department employees, and the implementation of new technology, including Tasers mounted with video cameras.

"I've been extremely proud to be not only a member of the Department but also the leader of such a professional group of men and women for over the last five years," Johnson said.

Johnson's last day as police chief will be Dec. 19, according to the city.

Assistant Chief Dennis Burns was appointed to be the acting police chief.

Johnson issued public apologies following an Oct. 30 community meeting regarding a recent series of robberies in Palo Alto in which suspects have been described as African-American.

Johnson said she asked officers for "consensual contact" with black men seen in locations where robberies have occurred, a statement some described as racial profiling.

The uproar that followed prompted some in the community to call for her resignation.

Johnson apologized but said her statements had been misconstrued.

She clarified that what she meant to say was that officers should contact those acting suspiciously in the area of the robberies, and who match the suspect description of the robbers.

ilbob
11-21-2008, 6:26 AM
how is it racist to suggest officers should look closer at suspicious people matching the description of violent criminals?

Max-the-Silent
11-21-2008, 6:38 AM
In today's world, if the perp is described as being black by the victim, the advocacy groups want the BOLO put out for Johnny Winter.

That would be acceptable.

Soldier415
11-21-2008, 6:44 AM
How is that racist? Would it still be racist if the officers were told to look for white dudes as the suspected robber was white?

Electric Factory
11-21-2008, 7:29 AM
how is it racist to suggest officers should look closer at suspicious people matching the description of violent criminals?

I think maybe because the initial directive was profiling 'black men in the area', leaving out the word 'suspicious'.
The inclusion of the term 'acting suspiciously' does make a significant difference in my opinion, maybe keeping the poor guy coming home to his family from work getting handcuffed face down in the street- or worse.

gazzavc
11-21-2008, 8:32 AM
IMHO Since BHO made it to the presidency there is no more Racism....;)

MaceWindu
11-21-2008, 8:38 AM
I think maybe because the initial directive was profiling 'black men in the area', leaving out the word 'suspicious'.
The inclusion of the term 'acting suspiciously' does make a significant difference in my opinion, maybe keeping the poor guy coming home to his family from work getting handcuffed face down in the street- or worse.

Correct.

Also, what is the definition of suspicious? Walking down the street? Chatting with friends?

Some of the replies here are pretty naive.

Mace

megavolt121
11-21-2008, 8:47 AM
Suspicious in her mind is: BIPAWBB- Being In Palo Alto While Being Black

MaceWindu
11-21-2008, 8:52 AM
Suspicious in her mind is: BIPAWBB- Being In Palo Alto While Being Black

BINGO...

She should have retired. This is not about being PC, this is about a person in a position of power (to alter peoples lives and economic situations: bail, lawyers, etc..for false arrest) spouting racist &#$& in public and verbally telling her officers to stop all Black males in "her" city?!

Some of you guys don't find that racist? :90: Gimme a break...

Mace

ilbob
11-21-2008, 8:56 AM
Johnson said she asked officers for "consensual contact" with black men seen in locations where robberies have occurred, a statement some described as racial profiling.

Lets see. The robbers were all black men. She asked officers to have "consensual contact" with black men in the area of the robberies. Sounds like good police work to me, especially if black males are uncommon in the areas of the robberies.

If the black guys do not want to consent to the contact, they are free to move on. Thats what consensual means.

megavolt121
11-21-2008, 9:01 AM
Lets see. The robbers were all black men. She asked officers to have "consensual contact" with black men in the area of the robberies. Sounds like good police work to me, especially if black males are uncommon in the areas of the robberies.

If the black guys do not want to consent to the contact, they are free to move on. Thats what consensual means.

So if the black guys don't want to consent, they will just get harassed by the cops more. They might even argue because you didn't consent, this is considered suspicious.

Bottom line, you DO NOT say stop every guy of X race. What if the description was a white male robbed me? Unless she could say stop every male of X race that's this tall with this build or anything that can narrow it down some more, she should not have said anything.

MaceWindu
11-21-2008, 9:03 AM

I see you live in Ill. The Bay Area PD's DO NOT screw around. One tries to make contact and you walk away, and see what kind of response you get.

...please...

Mace

Sam1
11-21-2008, 9:06 AM
she basically wants her officers to stop all black people and search them with out consent. sounds like racial profiling to me

MaceWindu
11-21-2008, 9:11 AM
What if the description was a white male robbed me?

What would happen if the PA PD stopped every white male wearing a Stanford baseball cap and t-shirt?

LOL! The cops heads would be served up on platters! :rolleyes:

Dead issue now. She is GONE and was politely suggested to retire. End of story....debating it more won't change the fact that:

#1: She stuck her foot in her mouth and confirmed what we ALL knew about "Palo Alto".

#2: She was 100% WRONG.

#3: The policy was RACIST.

#4: ANyone defending that policy is turning a concious eye to someone's freedom and liberty. These same people want to go to the 2nd Amend forum and #$&$(!! about their gun rights...but deny someone else their freedom? :shifty:

Word for that? Double standard...

Mace

Trader Jack
11-21-2008, 9:23 AM
How is that racist? Would it still be racist if the officers were told to look for white dudes as the suspected robber was white?

Hell no: Of course if there was a "White" Al Sharpton, or a "White" Jessie Jackson then the PC's would listen.:mad:

Trader Jack
11-21-2008, 9:24 AM

Welcome to "Africa USA":43:

Trader Jack
11-21-2008, 9:28 AM
she basically wants her officers to stop all black people and search them with out consent. sounds like racial profiling to me

If the shoe fits, wear it.:chris:

kurac
11-21-2008, 9:36 AM
And the funny thing is, when you drive around Palo Alto all you see are Obama Signs and bumper stickers. A more liberal democratic bunch you couldn't find and the fact they are being preyed on by thugs they are not allowed to go after is frosting on the cake

MaceWindu
11-21-2008, 9:40 AM
Moot points now. She a bigot and now she's gone...;)

I'm done here...

Mace

yellowfin
11-21-2008, 9:41 AM
Will the replacement be any better, not only in this aspect but in the other aspects we usually discuss here?

Saigon1965
11-21-2008, 9:54 AM
Further down the freeway - San Jose is having problems with their policy against drunks - Too many are Latinos are being arrested.

dwa
11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
well heres how it works, if you profile white people its okay, you profile anyone else your a racist. you arrest alot of white people, alot of white people must have been the suspects. you arrest alot of not white people you are profileing and racist and whatever else people can think of. hopefully with barak the pres elect reverse racism will be a thing of the past.

nicki
11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Palo Alto is a town where only the rich can afford. Many of course are highly educated and liberal in their political doctrine.

Interesting thing I noticed about rich white liberals, they don't want poor minorites living or being in their neighborhoods. This happens in other parts of the country as well.

They have NIMBY syndrome on so many issues that you could write books.
Self centered, self absorbed and smug.

A few strong arm robberies and the police are now cracking down on anyone that doesn't look like they belong there.

Let's face it, if I was driving around in certain parts of oakland, cops may pull me over for being white and question why I would be there. Wouldn't be surprised if they would want to search my car for drugs fro instance.

Is it profiling, absolutely. It is something cops do all the time and will continue to do.

Is it profiling, yes it is. They disrespect the 2nd amendment, what would make anyone think they respect the rest of the bill of rights.

Nicki

berto
11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Wrong forum, please move

GaryPowersLives
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM

LOL, Larry Elder was talking about that last night.

journeyman
11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
larry elder sucks!!!!

Max-the-Silent
11-21-2008, 5:53 PM
Thank God that when the Zebra killings went on in SF, Chief Scott wasn't held to the same standards demanded here.

The suspect was described as being black.

The Chief say's "talk to blacks."

The Chief is racist for doing so.

Again, I guess the bolo should have been for Johnny and Edgar Winter, that would would make warm fuzzy feelings.

Maybe there should be a new law enacted that requires equal investigation - you know, when skinheads do something, round up some Asians, when the KKK crawls out from under whatever rock they come out from under, round up some blacks - you get the idea.

Just so nobodies feelings get hurt.

kurac
11-21-2008, 6:09 PM
Its kind of like after 9-11 when they were "randomly" screening people before boarding planes, I vividly remember them pulling out a white elderly couple in theire 80's who didn't quite understand why they were being singled out. I looked around and notice a few people in line who it would have made more sense to search but I guess thats not what its all about.

Thefeeder
11-21-2008, 6:23 PM
The police chief has fallen victim to the PC world she advocated and help create. Why should she not be held to the same standards of speech inwhich she imposed on others.

Telperion
11-21-2008, 7:48 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/21/MND0144R6V.DTL

David Dunnell won't easily forget the time he was questioned by police in a library.

Two years ago, he said, he was reading magazines in Palo Alto's main branch when two officers approached, asked him about a rash of burglaries and demanded proof that he lived in the city. It wouldn't have happened, he concluded, if he wasn't black.

So those you of who think this is "good police work", you're totally ok with this kind of behavior? :rolleyes:

yellowfin
11-21-2008, 8:09 PM
Is Burns a friend of ours?

Jpach
11-21-2008, 8:21 PM
BINGO...

She should have retired. This is not about being PC, this is about a person in a position of power (to alter peoples lives and economic situations: bail, lawyers, etc..for false arrest) spouting racist &#$& in public and verbally telling her officers to stop all Black males in "her" city?!

Some of you guys don't find that racist? :90: Gimme a break...

Mace

Ya they should have stopped discriminating against the whites and hispanics and included them as people that LEOs should stop.

Solidmch
11-21-2008, 8:25 PM

I agree. She told them to do consensual contacts. Whats wrong with that??? Sounds like police work...

M. Sage
11-21-2008, 9:17 PM
So if the black guys don't want to consent, they will just get harassed by the cops more. They might even argue because you didn't consent, this is considered suspicious.

It doesn't work that way. Refusal to consent is not probable cause.

So those you of who think this is "good police work", you're totally ok with this kind of behavior? :rolleyes:

"I'm busy reading, officer. Buzz off." "What, you want to see my ID? Buzz off."

Solidmch
11-21-2008, 9:21 PM
larry elder sucks!!!!

nope

Max-the-Silent
11-22-2008, 7:56 AM

Would need to see the complete context of the situation.

ilbob
11-22-2008, 8:00 AM
Palo Alto is a town where only the rich can afford. Many of course are highly educated and liberal in their political doctrine.

Interesting thing I noticed about rich white liberals, they don't want poor minorites living or being in their neighborhoods. This happens in other parts of the country as well.

They have NIMBY syndrome on so many issues that you could write books.
Self centered, self absorbed and smug.

A few strong arm robberies and the police are now cracking down on anyone that doesn't look like they belong there.

Let's face it, if I was driving around in certain parts of oakland, cops may pull me over for being white and question why I would be there. Wouldn't be surprised if they would want to search my car for drugs fro instance.

Is it profiling, absolutely. It is something cops do all the time and will continue to do.

Is it profiling, yes it is. They disrespect the 2nd amendment, what would make anyone think they respect the rest of the bill of rights.

Nicki
I guess I do not have a major problem with rich people, or anyone else, wanting to live their own lifestyle without having to deal with thug gang bangers.

If someone really does not fit in to the area, that certainly raises an eyebrow, and the cops ought to take a look. pretending race is not part of the overall package is just silly.

if a black thuggish looking person is in an area populated almost entirely by rich white people, the cops would not being doing their job if they ignored such a red flag. There is a huge jump from taking a looksee at something out of the ordinary, and a beatdown and handcuff job.

<added> I don't want poor people living in my area either. Don't really care much about ethnicity. I do care about my property value, and paying property taxes to support other people's kids. Thats why I would just as soon not have trailer parks in my village. Lots of government services and very little in the way of tax revenue.