PDA

View Full Version : When selling a firearm to someone out of state

qua77ro
11-20-2008, 9:35 PM
So I understand that when selling to an individual out of state through an FFL, if that FFL is willing to accept a firearm from an individual the seller can ship direct to the FFL from CA. HOwever I am curious how the paperwork process works for a gun that's transferred via PPT but out of state?

Librarian
11-20-2008, 9:52 PM
Excepting for those who hold a C&R and are thinking C&R transfers, interstate transfers require the FFL.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=114142

Federal law says it is illegal for a private individual to transfer a gun to a non-FFL who does not live in the same state as the seller/transferor.

Not-CA to CA and CA to not-CA is the same.

qua77ro
11-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Excepting for those who hold a C&R and are thinking C&R transfers, interstate transfers require the FFL.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=114142

Federal law says it is illegal for a private individual to transfer a gun to a non-FFL who does not live in the same state as the seller/transferor.

Not-CA to CA and CA to not-CA is the same.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. It would be me shipping a long gun to an out of state FFL for purposes of selling to an individual through a PPT. My question is how is the paperwork handled? Don't I need to sign the docs/etc?

Librarian
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry - I definitely misunderstood you.

And I don't know the answer to that question - I never sell anything. :rolleyes:

bwiese
11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. It would be me shipping a long gun to an out of state FFL for purposes of selling to an individual through a PPT. My question is how is the paperwork handled? Don't I need to sign the docs/etc?

Nope. If you're selling a gun to Joe Blow in, say, Utah you send the gun to Joe Blow's local FFL dealer. Inside the box you just say "Hey this is for Joe Blow". The FFL will log it into his inventory for turnover to Joe Blow. He may want some more info from you just in case but there's no real paperwork for you to fill out.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Other States don't have all of the PPT requirements we have in California. The transfer you describe will just be treated like a regular Dealer transfer in the buyer's State.

The only benefit to doing a PPT in California is the mandated $35 maximum transfer fee. In most other States there is no requirement for PPT's to go through a Dealer, so there was never a need to set a maximum PPT fee.

Your buyer is only going through an FFL to comply with Federal law, and his local Dealer can charge anything he wants to do the transfer, no matter if it is a PPT or not. So you don't need to sign any documents like you would for a California PPT.

qua77ro
11-21-2008, 5:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help. I did search prior to posting fwiw.