PDA

View Full Version : hog rifle

geewizz
11-20-2008, 4:40 PM
I'm looking to get a rifle primary for hog hunting. I would like to stay with 308. I have a socom 16" barrel m1a but it maybe a bit heavy to walk around with for any decent amount of time. I like the idea of the shorter barrel so the remington model 7 have been one choice. The vtr 700 with the 22" barrel seems interesting. The 700 sps and cdl's with a 24" barrel are being considered, possibly in 30 06.

The vtr is the one that interest me the most I think with the muzzle brake possibly aiding in follow up shots. Seems light enough and feels balanced, plus I like the shorter barrel. I know a lot of people talk about how butt ugly they are but the looks don't bother me. The model 7 is super light but maybe to light as far as follow up shots go.

I haven't had access to shoot these remingtons so I was hoping I could get some opinions on these rifles for hog hunting. I will spend most of my time in Calif and not always in open space. I appreciate any help

Geewizz

jmzhwells
11-20-2008, 4:42 PM
Get a Tikka T3 lite, easy to carry, 6.5 lbs or less, looks good, very accurate, and usually cheaper than the remington.

308fan
11-20-2008, 7:20 PM
The Steyr Scout comes to mind. What a great rifle!

Salty
11-20-2008, 8:08 PM
For what it's worth, I haven't been hog hunting yet but hope to sometime this summer and have been doing a lot of research myself. It seems that most folks recommend a lever action or semi auto for wild hogs due to their somewhat dangerous nature. I know you said you wanted a .308, what about a Browning BLR in .308? They weigh about 6.5lbs. I ended up going with a Marlin 336 in 30-30 myself as it was fairly cheap (about $350 on sale at Big 5) and I have always liked the old timey nature of lever guns. Shoots great, of course I haven't taken it hunting yet.

geewizz
11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
jmzhwells

Never thought of the tikka. Quality wise how do they stand up to remingtons?

geewizz
11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
308fan

steyr scout looks pretty interesting but the price tag is to high. I wasn't aware of this rifle

geewizz
11-20-2008, 11:02 PM
salty

I actually have a winchester 94 30-30. It was my dads and it is a very nice rifle. I tried it at the range a couple of times only. It had some trouble cycling a few rounds but I need to really go through the rifle And check it all out. I guess I never really though of using a lever action rifle for hogs. I've been focusing on bolt action rifles mainly. I love shoting my socom 16 but I just don't know about hauling that thing around all day or night. I've thought about an ar 308. I have a few ar15 that are very reliable as is my m1a but I keep leaning to a bolt action. I think a rifles reliability is what makes my feel comfortable. I have heard a lot about the rem 700's and how people like the reliability so thats why I have been leaning towards them. I'm not sure I would ever feel more comfortable with a follow up shot using a bolt action compared to my semi autos. I guess I need to fill my bolt action jones. I want one that I can count on. I have a colt 1911 that I love but my hk usp 45 has never missed a beat. It's the one I trust the most

rabagley
11-21-2008, 2:06 PM
I love a lever action for hogs. My primary hog rifle is a Marlin 1895g lever action. Lightweight, points effortlessly, fast second shot, puts a 350 grain Barnes HP or 405 grain Remington FN right on top of where the sights are aimed out to about 75 yards. Those .45 bullets will penetrate a hog, leaving the usual ultimate variable: shot placement.

Also, since I've occasionally hunted in Grizzly territory, and I trust a well-aimed 45-70 against Grizzly: I don't feel the need to carry a large caliber handgun for bear defense, which keeps me even more lightweight.

I did just finish a moderate weight AR build in 458 SOCOM (8.5lbs) that will come along on the next hunting trip and if it works out, may become my new hog rifle. Can shoot the same bullets with similar ballistics to 45-70 so most of the difference comes down to semi vs. lever and tube magazine vs. vertical magazine. I'll try it and see.

geewizz
11-22-2008, 12:30 AM
rabagley

Is that 458 socom at 8lbs including your scope? That sounds duable. The larger caliber ar's are starting to get my attention more and more. I've thought about a 6.8spc upper as a option. Some of the weights I've seen on ar10s are pretty close to my socom16. Just talked to some one tonight about using a lever action winchester. I think I will definitly set up my 94 winchester with a scope and give it a try. My friend says his with iron sites is pretty dead on out to 75 yards. But I still would like to have a bolt action rifle that I can have set up for hogs. I already own a 94 so it makes that choice a bit easier. I just don't have alot of knowledge on bolt action rifles. Especially out on the field.

Cali-V
11-22-2008, 7:41 AM
For under $350, that a look at a Spanish FR-8, it's .308, and mine is about 8.5 pounds no optics and ammo. With iron sights, I'm on target at the 75 to 100 yard range...

When I first handle this rifle my first thought was what a great pig gun...

westcoastr
11-22-2008, 8:02 AM
tikkas are fantastic, if you want to save $$ try the new marlin bolt action or a savage. i can't even think of a bolt action that wouldn't be reliable. but the win 94 should be just fine if you are good with irons, also try the hornady level evolution ammo if you can use lead in your area. the biggest proble with hogs is finding them, not shooting them.

Schooner
11-22-2008, 8:04 AM
rabagley

Is that 458 socom at 8lbs including your scope? That sounds duable. The larger caliber ar's are starting to get my attention more and more. I've thought about a 6.8spc upper as a option. Some of the weights I've seen on ar10s are pretty close to my socom16. Just talked to some one tonight about using a lever action winchester. I think I will definitly set up my 94 winchester with a scope and give it a try. My friend says his with iron sites is pretty dead on out to 75 yards. But I still would like to have a bolt action rifle that I can have set up for hogs. I already own a 94 so it makes that choice a bit easier. I just don't have alot of knowledge on bolt action rifles. Especially out on the field.

I have used a Winchester 94 in .30-30 to hunt just about everything.
I've never needed a scope, my 94 will shoot 1.5" groups at 100yds. with the factory sights, and Winchester 150gr. Silvertips.
The 94's weight of 6.5lbs makes it a joy to carry all day.

IMHO you don't need a scope for these rifles, and in fact, if your fathers rifle is an older 94, you may be destroying the value of it by installing a scope, just as my grandfather did on his fathers 1914 Winchester 1895 30.03
There is no way to mount a scope on a 94 without drilling the receiver.
The 94 also ejects the cartridge strait up (unless you have an AE)
so your scope must be mounted off to the side, which I always thought was awkward.

geewizz
11-22-2008, 9:39 PM
Schooner

My Dad did mount a scope on his 94 but I don't plan on selling it anyway. I"m just getting use to it but it is very accurate with out the scope. To bad that hornady level evolution ammo isn't lead free yet.

Anyone have any hunting experince with that rem 700 vtr with the triangular barrel?

How about the tikka conection and beretta? Is beretta usa the distributor?

I'll have to take a look at that new marlin and the savage and see how they feel

rabagley
11-25-2008, 6:40 PM
rabagley

Is that 458 socom at 8lbs including your scope? That sounds duable.

8lbs 7oz includes the rifle, the Eotech 512, the buis, an empty 7 round magazine, and the sling (quick-adjust two point sling). No ammo. It's quite comfortable to shoot standing (at the range), but I don't do a lot of walking at the range, so I still have to see how comfortable it is after four or five hours of stalking/walking around.

The larger caliber ar's are starting to get my attention more and more. I've thought about a 6.8spc upper as a option.

Except for one, all of my AR's are wildcat calibers. .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Fireball (aka 300 Whisper). They're more expensive to shoot, but each one is differently useful in different circumstances and all are more useful than .223. IMHO at least.

Some of the weights I've seen on ar10s are pretty close to my socom16. Just talked to some one tonight about using a lever action winchester. I think I will definitly set up my 94 winchester with a scope and give it a try. My friend says his with iron sites is pretty dead on out to 75 yards. But I still would like to have a bolt action rifle that I can have set up for hogs. I already own a 94 so it makes that choice a bit easier. I just don't have alot of knowledge on bolt action rifles. Especially out on the field.

My first rifle was a bolt action, but I've discovered through the years that I'm not really a fan of bolt actions. Lever, pump, semi all have their place in my various shooting activities. Bolt actions just don't get much play any more.

geewizz
11-28-2008, 11:56 AM
rabagley

That 458 socom is sounding pretty interesting. I assumed that they were heavier. I'll have to look into that rifle some more. I just noticed that a Rock river upper is around $700 and the complete rifle about $1100. I also noticed that they will work on a regular ar lower. Or at least the rock river ones will. I just assumed that they needed a specific lower like the 308's. Well I can definitely see myself getting and upper if that's the case.

richnstef
11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
i have 2 remington 700sps rifle 1 in 270win and the other 300win mag love em and they were both cheap cheap i only paid i think 456 shipped to my ffl but no iron sights only drilled and tapped for scope www.sportsmanssafari.com or southeasterngunsales.com same company but i dont remember which is which they have anything and evreything you can imagine and best of all you can layaway evreything good luck

rabagley
11-28-2008, 6:20 PM
rabagley

That 458 socom is sounding pretty interesting. I assumed that they were heavier. I'll have to look into that rifle some more. I just noticed that a Rock river upper is around $700 and the complete rifle about $1100. I also noticed that they will work on a regular ar lower. Or at least the rock river ones will. I just assumed that they needed a specific lower like the 308's. Well I can definitely see myself getting and upper if that's the case.

.458 SOCOM is definitely designed to work on the AR-15 platform. The only thing you need to swap to convert from .223/5.56 to .458 SOCOM is the bolt and barrel (bring along the gas system to fit the large-diameter barrel). .458 SOCOM will even feed from stock AR-15 magazines without modifications. One other thing that is helpful is to have a thick recoil pad on your stock. Just like a hot 45/70, 458 SOCOM has quite a kick and with the A2 stock, it can turn your shoulder into ground beef.

On the magazines, it is my personal reading of the law: a magazine that looks like a USGI 30 round magazine which:

does not have markings that it is a 30 round magazine or for .223/5.56 ammunition
does have markings that it is a 10 round magazine and is for .458 SOCOM
is only used to hold .458 SOCOM cartridges
is only ever attached to a complete firearm chambered for .458 SOCOM

is actually a California-legal magazine that does not exceed the 10 round capacity limit. There are engraving stores all over the place that will happily engrave "458 SOCOM" "10 ROUND CAP" onto floorplates and then you can assemble a rebuild kit into a legal magazine.

At least, that's how I read the law. The CA DOJ has probably never considered the issue and so the LE response will be a judgement call by the LEO who asks you about your "longer than usual" magazine ("Is that a 10/30 magazine?" "No sir, it's not a .223 magazine and only holds ten rounds of .458 SOCOM.").

geewizz
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
richnstef and rabagley

I'm thinking I'll end up with a low cost sps and add some nice glass and probably a 458 type of upper. I do love the ar platforms but the 308's like the remington ar25 or what ever its called is to heavy. Might as well stick with my socom 16 as far as that goes. I just have to add a bolt action 30 cal to the collection. But I'm starting to wonder about 308. Just got back from the gun show and besides the massive crowd I notice there was not much 308 to be found at all. I'm going to start reloading as much as possible for cost reasons but I sure hope 308 doesn't become a major problem. Thanks again everyone for the replies

G

jmzhwells
11-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Go for the Tikka, great quality, much like a sako, only a lot cheaper, guaranteed accuracy, lots of calibers. I have the stainless lite and have nothing to complain about. My friend w/ a ruger .308 decided it wasnt as good as the Tikka and traded up for one in .300 wsm. A great gun w/ a great caliber.

KIDRR
11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Just use the Socom, great all around gun. It's not that bad to carry around

geewizz
11-30-2008, 9:11 AM
Kidrr

Which socom do you have and what do you have on it. My rifle is close to 11 lbs. with an aimpoint and mount and no rounds. Thats using the bathroom scale method. I dont have the full extended rail so adding a good receiver scope mount and magnified scope would increase weight even more. Unless I stayed with the red dot. I'm pretty decent with it out to 100yards but beyond that I don't think so. I won't be able to resist taking it out at some point for hogs but I'm looking to set up one rifle specifically for that reason. I'd sure like to hear from anyone that has used them for hogs and what kind of set up they have. One socom II rail that I have seen had rails that are out of spec. The back portion of the rail close to the receiver could not hold a qd mount stable. Maybe I should start a thread asking about socoms and hog hunting

Lead_Rain
11-30-2008, 9:26 PM
A friend of mine invited me to go Boar Hunting at Fort Hunter Liggett Army reserve. Will probably go after the New Year. This will be my first time hunting anything but we are both planning to use our M1A scouts. His is Mossy Oak and mine is black synthetic stock. He has a Burris scope and mine is equipped with a Trijicon TA55A(.308 BDC). I will probably take the bipod off for the hunt and may take along my Eotech 557 to try on the M1A. The 557 is calibrated for my 5.56 M4gery but it should be close enough to use out to 200 yards if need be. I suppose I should take my XD 9mm for back up to piss off the pig even more should he survive the .308!

I suggest you start working out your upper body especially in the bicep/tricep/shoulder area.

Makes holding your aiming point with any rifle much steadier when you are not shaking from arm burnout!

I agree there was almost no .308 to be found at the massive Gun Show today,
but I did get a smokin deal on some 5.56 Hornady 500 rounds for about 38 cents apiece.

Yesterday I shot some Hornady .308 to do the final dial in on the Trijicon and what a huge difference from cheapo Remington from Wal-Mart to Hornady for only $10 more per 20. Went from 2-3 inch groups to 9 shots in a row placed in a 3" shoot & see bull. 1 group was like 5 shots in 3/4".

geewizz
12-01-2008, 12:33 AM
lead_rain

I know what you mean about the 308. I've been shooting the federal red box stuff since its been the only stuff I can find at a acceptable price at shows. But that stuff sure leaves the gun dirty. I do have to get the arms an shoulders back in shape. Seems like the muscles have moved to another location.

What kind of mounts are you guys using on your scouts?

gunrun45
12-01-2008, 2:50 AM
Most folks I know in my area use either a lever action rifle in 357mag or 44mag. Some go with a 30/30. I've know a few who went with 308 or even as large as 7mm mag. They eventually went down in caliber after a few hunts. Just something to think about.

Carrying around an 11 pound rifle unless you were storming a beach in WWII doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Carrying around a 6 pound lever gun (that's a lot skinnier and easier to carry with one hand anyway) does.

Comstock Lode
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Rem 700 .308 and an old Savage .30 - 06 are what I use. The Rem 700 5R bull barrel rifle and ARs are for the range, High Power and Silhouete competition, though I have used the 5R successfully on a big pig, but it is a bit heavy for hiking and the wrong scope, does not fit in the scabbard on the quad, etc etc., but it put the bullet exactly where I intended. Up in Parkfield the record on the cleaning shack wall shows shows more .30 - 06 than anything I would say, followed by .308, my guide up there uses a .300 WinMag with great success, and then lots of .270 and others... Never seen an AR style or bull barrel sniper-type rifle in the field, though they will certainly launch a bullet and, therefore, work. Folks just generally use hunting rifles for hunting.

Steyr_223
12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
How about a Saiga 308? They come in 16 and 20 inch models, wood or black plastic..

http://www.coolclimbing.com/images/guns/military/Saiga-308.jpg

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117119782

frigginchi
12-01-2008, 2:56 PM
Doesn't anyone use a sling anymore?

Lead_Rain
12-01-2008, 5:35 PM
To answer the question about mounts on the Scout:
My friend is using his scope on the Springfield provided picatinny rail forward of the receiver.

My Trijicon is on an ARMS #18 over the receiver. ARMS #18 is low profile but a ***** to install and adjust properly. They should give a bit of adjustment to the main attachment hole. I had to actually put my foot on it when I adjusted the elevation to be able to still get the bolt back in the M1A threads. I was at the range or I would have used a drill or file to elongate the hole for more adjustment. The Trijicon is still a bit too far forward for the best eye relief. I am going to check if LaRue Tactical or somebody makes a rail mount to put under the Trijicon to bring it back a couple centimeters.

As far as slings, yes I bought 2 simple 2 point slings yesterday at the gun show. (Actually kind of hard to find these days) I bought 1 for the M1A and 1 for the M4gery. I also have a 2 point on my AR 9mm. I use them the way the Marine Corps taught me, to stabilize your point of aim by strangling your arm against the stock and forcing the weapon into your shoulder. This gives way better results in the Offhand as well as prone or sitting positions.

I do have the clipped on single point for the M4 if I am walking with it for a distance, but unless I hunt with it or want to look "SpecOps" cool I really don't need it.

mousegun
12-01-2008, 5:48 PM
U.S. Rifle, Cal. 30, M1

nhanson
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm looking to get a rifle primary for hog hunting. I would like to stay with 308. I have a socom 16" barrel m1a but it maybe a bit heavy to walk around with for any decent amount of time. I like the idea of the shorter barrel so the remington model 7 have been one choice. The vtr 700 with the 22" barrel seems interesting. The 700 sps and cdl's with a 24" barrel are being considered, possibly in 30 06.

The vtr is the one that interest me the most I think with the muzzle brake possibly aiding in follow up shots. Seems light enough and feels balanced, plus I like the shorter barrel. I know a lot of people talk about how butt ugly they are but the looks don't bother me. The model 7 is super light but maybe to light as far as follow up shots go.

I haven't had access to shoot these remingtons so I was hoping I could get some opinions on these rifles for hog hunting. I will spend most of my time in Calif and not always in open space. I appreciate any help

Geewizz

Try a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. The BDL comes with open sights, 22" barrel and weighs about 6 lbs with out optics. Hand load some Barnes Tipped TSX in 168 grain and pigs just fall over on a one shot stop (got 2 this last summer that way!).

Oh yeah, I got my 700 BDL from a PPT on Cal Guns for $400.00 new in the box and I've seen a few more pop up in the same price range. Great gun, great bullet and the combo just plain puts pigs down hard.

Enjoy

dexter9659
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
M1A Scout all the way. No optics required at any reasonable range, and weighs in around 9 pounds. I have no problem treking around my Scout when accompanied by a nice sling. Heck, the G20 I carry loaded with 2 spare mags weighs about 4 pounds. I'm 5'8" and 140 which I don't consider "large". Should you find yourself 185 and 6'1", just remember my gun to body weight ratio is 17 pounds of guns and ammo to you.

geewizz
12-02-2008, 7:05 PM
One option as far as bolt action goes that has been on my mind also are the rem LTR 20" 308. I've been trying to confirm there actual weight on other threads. Held one months ago but I can't remember the weight. I know its not there advertised 7-1/2 pounds. Sounds like its more like 8-1/2 or 9 w/out a scope. The short barrel I like and I was hoping it was lighter than there tactical and varmint sps's.
The vtr feels ok weight wise but I have never heard of anyone walking around hunting with one. I just here how ugly they are. I thought it might make a nice hog rifle with that 22" barrel. Maybe not.
The 30-06 as NHANSON mention is on my mind also since I'm having more and more trouble finding 308 period. Maybe 30-06 is more available. I'll be reloading as much as I can soon so its a concern. I have walked by a few 700 30-06's that are calling my name

Lead_Rain
12-03-2008, 3:02 PM
M1A Scout all the way. No optics required at any reasonable range, and weighs in around 9 pounds. I have no problem treking around my Scout when accompanied by a nice sling. Heck, the G20 I carry loaded with 2 spare mags weighs about 4 pounds. I'm 5'8" and 140 which I don't consider "large". Should you find yourself 185 and 6'1", just remember my gun to body weight ratio is 17 pounds of guns and ammo to you.

I agree, the M1A Scout has like the best open sights in existence, same as M14 which is almost a carbon copy of the venerable M1 Springfield which had no problem putting away many Wehrmacht and Japanese soldiers in WWII.

I just am in to the Optics Bling, but I did dial in the M1A Iron sights and they are superb.

The nice thing about the ARMS #18 mount on any of the M1A series is that it is low profile and allows you to still use the iron sights after you remove your optics.

geewizz
12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
lead_rain

Thats nice you can still use the sites with the mount still on. I wasn't sure of that. It sounds like the only way of achieving a good mount base on those rifles. The socom rails won't really hold zero from what I hear. The one I have is wacked. The rails have a "cool" look but I think a good quality reciever mount is the way to go. I do love the iron sites on this rifles