PDA

View Full Version : Lost firearms?

team06
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Folks,
I have some relatives that recently lost their home in the Santa Barbara fire. Everything in the house including guns were lost in the fire. What do they need to do, DOJ or ATF form wise, to keep legal?

Rob454
11-20-2008, 3:39 PM
Probably jsut sned in a form stating these guns were lost/destroyed in a house fire. I think but not sure if you have to have the serial #s. My serial #s are on my phone as a note and also in my address book at home. I have a folder that has copies of the most important papers and that woudl be one of the first things that comes with me out of the house in case of emergency. That and a gun

JDay
11-20-2008, 4:03 PM
They should have had a quality fire resistant safe. Although those only help to a point.

otteray
11-20-2008, 6:43 PM
Nothing at all, if they so choose.

Rob454
11-20-2008, 6:45 PM
They should have had a quality fire resistant safe. Although those only help to a point.

Some fires burn so hot all youll find is a huge lump of melted metal after the fire

CHS
11-20-2008, 7:05 PM
If the firearms are not salvageable at all, then they shouldn't need to do anything.

They could de-register the handguns with CA, but remember that long guns aren't registered or recorded anywhere, so telling some legal body that they are gone wouldn't make any difference.

If there is a chance that some of the firearms are salvageable, then they should take them into their posession and either try to fix them or turn them over to LE to actually be truly destroyed.

But I'm guessing that the fire most likely turned them into non-gun lumps of metal and ash.

JDay
11-20-2008, 8:34 PM
Some fires burn so hot all youll find is a huge lump of melted metal after the fire

You didn't read it all.