PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

nrakid88
11-19-2008, 8:50 PM
Tomorrow is a big day for me. I am in college and tomorrow in my speech class I will be giving a speech on gun control. I really care about this and don't wanna screw it up, so I am naturally a little nervous. I did a survey, only half of the class was present to take it, but three support less gun control, six dont have an opinion, and five people think there should be more gun control. I think all in all this is probably how the whole of california is divided. Well, I've got my facts straight and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to change some minds, maybe, god willing, to even get the majority of the class to support less gun control.

stphnman20
11-19-2008, 8:52 PM
Good luck man..

Make us proud!

Saigon1965
11-19-2008, 8:59 PM
Will you be recording the event? Good luck -

sb_pete
11-19-2008, 9:09 PM
Good luck man! Any thoughts/ideas/arguments you want to thresh out in this thread before you go live tomorrow?

nrakid88
11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
No, I have pretty much been getting ready for this for the past few years. i am always debating gun control with other people, both anti-gunners and pro-gunners. I am sure I have my bases covered. i just hope I can open up the conversation and have people ask questions at the end.

Meplat
11-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Knock um dead bro!;)

No, I have pretty much been getting ready for this for the past few years. i am always debating gun control with other people, both anti-gunners and pro-gunners. I am sure I have my bases covered. i just hope I can open up the conversation and have people ask questions at the end.

deldgeetar
11-19-2008, 11:30 PM
You'll do well. I did some speeches on this in high school and college. You might be surprised, but anti-gunners sometimes do reevaluate themselves after hearing the facts. Just relax and be confident in the fact that you are doing the right thing.

savageevo
11-19-2008, 11:33 PM
try video tapeing it and post it on youtube so we all can see it. good luck brother. let us know what happens.

CaliforniaCarry
11-20-2008, 1:07 AM
This is a strange coincidence....

One of my best friends is a spoken communications teacher at a school in Santa Clarita. She told me about a guy in her class that's giving a gun control speech tomorrow.

GammaRei
11-20-2008, 1:26 AM
Make us proud man. You can do it.

- G

Plebius15
11-20-2008, 2:33 AM
I'm also currently taking a speech class and in a few weeks I'm going to give a speech on Assault Weapon bans and why we shouldn't have any.

JDay
11-20-2008, 4:32 AM
I'm also currently taking a speech class and in a few weeks I'm going to give a speech on Assault Weapon bans and why we shouldn't have any.

Be sure to make it clear what the difference is between the anti-gunners definition of an "assault weapon" and what the military considers an "assault weapon". Right after tell them about the National Firearms Act.

nrakid88
11-20-2008, 1:29 PM
My teacher is a man, so I don't think that was your friend. I didn't really get into legal details such as "Assault weapons" and what not, although they were pictured throughout my speech as vicual aids. I mostly focused on the fact that the second ammendment is a private right to own guns for self defense, self defense being religiously moraly founded, and an unalienable right. I then described that when the founding fathers wrote the second ammendment, it was to ensure civilian militia's would be able to be well armed to defend our civil rights from a tyrannical gov't. I used a lot of background and facts to back everything up. I disproved the myth that "Well-regulated" is a phrase which allows gun control, as the definition of that phrase from the time period it was written meant "well-calibrated, working as expected" which is describing the militias need for a ammendment protecting firearms. Then I used brittain, switzerland, and kennesaw georgia to disprove the myth that more gun ownership increases violent crimes. I was actually suprised that for at least ten minutes after my speech the class kept asking me questions, deep questions, and that they were very involved in thinking about this. I feel proud because I could tell that even though some of them were anti-gun, I could see that they were thinking about going home and checking my facts and re evaluating there stance on this position. I probably could have done better, but I delivered with conviction and figure I did a swell job. It feels good to argue for what you believe in.

nrakid88
11-20-2008, 1:31 PM
As an after thought I never really realized how uninformed the general, or at least, californian public is from guns. Most of them weren't exposed except through news and media. At least since they don't know much, once you teach them about responsible gun ownership there opinion always seems to quickly change if you state your case right.

yellowfin
11-20-2008, 1:50 PM
What were some of their questions?

nrakid88
11-21-2008, 10:17 AM
They were asking about accidents in the home with kids, I taught them about responisble gun ownership, i.e. keeping it in the safe instead of undeer the pillow. Then what I would do if someone broke in and I wasn't near my self, to which I replied "wish i wasn't in cali so that I would have a CCW and could carry a gun nearly at all times" That one blew there minds, it was like they had never thought of it that way before. They had some more questions, like if I had researched any other countries statistics, what the process of getting a gun is, I explained it to them for cali, like pistol tests and waiting periods, then free states which is cash and carry with instant background check. They also asked when I started shooting, which was five, and where I learned responsible gun ownership from... just a bunch of questions