PDA

View Full Version : What if DOJ were to call or come knocking on your door?

GMONEY
11-19-2008, 4:58 PM
I was chatting with someone yesterday and he said a few years ago DOJ took all the records from a local firearms retailer and then started calling on people or showing up at their door asking for such and such firearm that was sold to them etc, etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what was done? I assume they would need a search warrant to enter your home and ask for such a thing, but is this scenario realistic?

7222 Hawker
11-19-2008, 5:04 PM
Who are they gonna bring with them for manpower? Local LEO's and the CHP are busy enough with criminals and wouldn't go asking for a gunfight on anyones front doorstep. No need to worry.

Matt C
11-19-2008, 5:07 PM
Tell them to F**K off and close the door. ATF has a right to see my C&R book and guns, but DOJ can go F**K themselves.

SJgunguy24
11-19-2008, 5:13 PM
Tell them to F**K off and close the door. ATF has a right to see my C&R book and guns, but DOJ can go F**K themselves.

A-MEN brother!
I may choose to use different words, but they'll get the point.

tombinghamthegreat
11-19-2008, 5:15 PM
Just plead the 5th. If they do not have a warrent tell them to **** off.

Liberty1
11-19-2008, 5:16 PM
I know of a member who, due to unique circumstances (so it was not random), was called by DOJ to see if he had purchased a particular brand of OLL and asked if an agent could stop by and see it. A call to the right people (who called the DOJ agent) stopped the "visit" dead in it's tracks. The agent was never heard from again (don't know if Chuck made him disappear to anti purgatory or if the agent was just convinced that further inquiry was not in the agent's best interests). :chris:

Casual Observer
11-19-2008, 5:16 PM
"Good afternoon Mr. DOJ. How can I help you?"

"My firearms? Do you have a warrant?"

"No? Have a nice day."

510dat
11-19-2008, 5:29 PM
I know of a member who, due to unique circumstances (so it was not random), was called by DOJ to see if he had purchased a particular brand of OLL and asked if an agent could stop by and see it. A call to the right people (who called the DOJ agent) stopped the "visit" dead in it's tracks. The agent was never heard from again (don't know if Chuck made him disappear to anti purgatory or if the agent was just convinced that further inquiry was not in the agent's best interests). :chris:

Who are these "Right People?" With the number of people on this board, it's probable that someone will find that useful.

Matt C
11-19-2008, 5:31 PM
Who are these "Right People?" With the number of people on this board, it's probable that someone will find that useful.

tmllp.com Memorize that number.....

Liberty1
11-19-2008, 5:37 PM
Who are these "Right People?"

Calguns Foundation (http://calgunsfoundation.org/main/) Members of the Board and Chuck Michel of TMLLP (http://www.tmllp.com/)

PM Hoffmang or Bwise first before bugging Chuck unless you're wearing silver bracelets in which case call your significant other who should have Chuck's number in their phone. It won't do you any good to have Chuck's number in your phone as that will be in the jail's property lock-up.

And never leave home or open your door without your voice recorder.

SJgunguy24
11-19-2008, 5:40 PM
tmllp.com Memorize that number.....

Don't ask "How he knows"

We all should memorize the #. BWO you went through a world of S*** but you didn't back down. That my good man should be commended!:79:

WokMaster1
11-19-2008, 5:56 PM
As one member here who wrote;

DOJ: Can I see your lower?
Member: drops his pants......
DOJ: Never mind, you win!!:D

Max-the-Silent
11-19-2008, 6:06 PM
I was chatting with someone yesterday and he said a few years ago DOJ took all the records from a local firearms retailer and then started calling on people or showing up at their door asking for such and such firearm that was sold to them etc, etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what was done? I assume they would need a search warrant to enter your home and ask for such a thing, but is this scenario realistic?

IIRC, this did go down in southern California wrt Robinson M96's.

As others have noted, no warrant, no entry, no exceptions.

CSACANNONEER
11-19-2008, 6:11 PM
WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!

slick_711
11-19-2008, 6:14 PM
WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wearing that t-shirt this very moment. :D

If they were just snooping, I'd tell them to have a nice day and close the door.

If they had a warrant, I'd give them my P6 and my Maverick 88, and close the door.

If they were persistent... well, god help me, them, and anyone in close vicinity.

CitaDeL
11-19-2008, 7:36 PM
There is no 'welcome mat' on my doorstep.

jacques
11-19-2008, 7:43 PM
I will run out the back door, over the fence, through the neighbors yard to my front yard, and let the air out of his tires. Then run back and answer the door.

LOW2000
11-19-2008, 7:44 PM
http://www.target.com/Come-Back-Warrant-Doormat/dp/B00020O572

http://druglaw.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/21/fourth_amendment_welcome_mat_photo_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510N22VB8XL._AA400_.jpg

EMPEROR8
11-19-2008, 7:49 PM
http://www.target.com/Come-Back-Warrant-Doormat/dp/B00020O572

http://druglaw.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/21/fourth_amendment_welcome_mat_photo_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510N22VB8XL._AA400_.jpg

I need to get me one of this. :43:

hoffmang
11-19-2008, 7:51 PM
If this happened to me I'd be worried.

...Worried that I'd die from hyperventilating because I couldn't stop laughing!

-Gene

rayra
11-19-2008, 7:53 PM
what do you mean 'what if' - Jerry Brown has already had a CA DOJ team working to match up firearms purchase records with criminal court judgements and he's had teams moving about the state turning up on the doorstep of people who've lost their firearms rights yet show that they owned guns before their court judgement, asking about the disposition of their firearms and requiring their surrender if they are still present. ALREADY HAPPENING. They've already put out press release(s) about it their 'success'.

And this is the Jerry Brown that some here call reasonable and a decent compromise to repeat as our Governor. And that's not even considering all his prior gross failings in that position and others. Or his base politics.

rayra
11-19-2008, 7:55 PM
and what do you mean 'what if' - CA DOJ already did just that in essence with their menacing letters to CA gun owners who had previously, legally and with CA DOJ's 'Approved Handgun List' blessing gone out and purchased Walther P22 pistols. Threatening them with criminal legal action if they did not surrender their pistols or turn them in for irrevocable and value-reducing factory alterations to their threaded barrels.

GMONEY
11-19-2008, 8:02 PM
IIRC, this did go down in southern California wrt Robinson M96's.

As others have noted, no warrant, no entry, no exceptions.

That is exactly what he had an M96... What's the deal with the M96 anyway? Looks very cool? Can we get them? He also said he "knows people" at the DOJ and said they have some big things in the works to take down us OLL people. He tried to scare me and it did not work.

jacques
11-19-2008, 8:16 PM
...... He also said he "knows people" at the DOJ and said they have some big things in the works to take down us OLL people. He tried to scare me and it did not work.

Oh those! OLL's. I lost those. Misplaced. I think I left them at the range. Dunno.:confused:

OCArmory
11-19-2008, 8:24 PM
No No the proper response is I was fishing last weekend and they fell over board.

Liberty1
11-19-2008, 8:31 PM
He also said he "knows people" at the DOJ and said they have some big things in the works to take down us OLL people. He tried to scare me and it did not work.

What, they found a sasquatch who could hold the MM grip in a pistol like fashion?

artherd
11-19-2008, 8:44 PM
I would probably grab a white napkin, place it on my arm, open the door and say "DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION?"

I like having fun with gov stooges.

gotgunz
11-19-2008, 8:44 PM
<<<<< Adjusting the foil hat for better reception

Fate
11-19-2008, 8:45 PM
What, they found a sasquatch who could hold the MM grip in a pistol like fashion?
I know Sasquatch. He prefers BulletButtons. :D

69Mach1
11-19-2008, 8:49 PM
That is exactly what he had an M96... What's the deal with the M96 anyway? Looks very cool? Can we get them? He also said he "knows people" at the DOJ and said they have some big things in the works to take down us OLL people. He tried to scare me and it did not work.

The RA M96 case was classic. Robinson Armament has a DOJ approval letter for selling their M96 minus pistol grip to CA. Someone at DOJ thought that because the M96 had the ability to accept a pistol grip, that it was an AW even without the grip attached. They went out to confiscate the rifles and the rest is infamy. They had to return the rifles.

bohoki
11-19-2008, 8:53 PM
I know Sasquatch. He prefers BulletButtons. :D

you are out of your mind bigfoot no know tool

that reminds me of that one beach double murder i think in jennings where they went and rounded up 45s from people

dw33b
11-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Well I would be polite and courteous which is always a good idea with police.

Then the only things I would say are my name and the questions:
"Am I under arrest?"
"Do you have a warrant?"
"Please direct all questions to my lawyer."

And absolutely nothing else.

Mute
11-19-2008, 9:08 PM
The answer would be "No, but you can have a steel-toed suppository."

hoffmang
11-19-2008, 11:38 PM
what do you mean 'what if' - Jerry Brown has already had a CA DOJ team working to match up firearms purchase records with criminal court judgements and he's had teams moving about the state turning up on the doorstep of people who've lost their firearms rights

You know - committing crimes of violence have some repercussions. I find it hard to have a lot of sympathy for wife beaters and felons. At best these are people too dumb to get a lawyer to get their record expunged.

-Gene

JDay
11-20-2008, 3:58 AM
As one member here who wrote;

DOJ: Can I see your lower?
Member: drops his pants......
DOJ: Never mind, you win!!:D

That would likely get you a whole other set of charges. :rofl2:

JDay
11-20-2008, 4:07 AM
you are out of your mind bigfoot no know tool

that reminds me of that one beach double murder i think in jennings where they went and rounded up 45s from people

Let me guess, the sheeple just handed them over too?

JDay
11-20-2008, 4:08 AM
Well I would be polite and courteous which is always a good idea with police.

Then the only things I would say are my name and the questions:
"Am I under arrest?"
"Do you have a warrant?"
"Please direct all questions to my lawyer."

And absolutely nothing else.

And DO NOT open the door. If you feel the need to step outside and talk to them lock the door behind you.

Ford8N
11-20-2008, 4:09 AM
You know - committing crimes of violence have some repercussions. I find it hard to have a lot of sympathy for wife beaters and felons. At best these are people too dumb to get a lawyer to get their record expunged.

-Gene

:iagree:

MudCamper
11-20-2008, 7:33 AM

Was the person you were chatting with in any kind of legal trouble? There is a relatively new system the CA DOJ has implemented, called the APPS, or Armed and Prohibited Persons System. What it does is cross index all new prohibitive convictions with old firearms transaction records, and spits out a list. Then they send the local sheriffs out to the homes of these people and search. I read an article about it that was posted on this forum a year or so ago. Iggy was in the photo too.

GMONEY
11-20-2008, 8:40 AM
Was the person you were chatting with in any kind of legal trouble? There is a relatively new system the CA DOJ has implemented, called the APPS, or Armed and Prohibited Persons System. What it does is cross index all new prohibitive convictions with old firearms transaction records, and spits out a list. Then they send the local sheriffs out to the homes of these people and search. I read an article about it that was posted on this forum a year or so ago. Iggy was in the photo too.

No... He said he knew they were coming and showed them proof he shipped it to his house in NV.